[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.khronos.org/vulkan >the Vulkan 1.0 release is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: vulkan1-640x320.png (18 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
vulkan1-640x320.png
18 KB, 640x320
https://www.khronos.org/vulkan
>the Vulkan 1.0 release is near!
Are you ready for hl3, /v/?
>>
>>321058272
Yep I've got a Linux based OS running for gaming and its working out well. Just waiting on Vulkan to bring it fully up to speed.
>>
There was another thread about this yesterday that I skimmed over.

We Linux gaming soon?

I know nothing about this shit so pls be gentle.
>>
Dead on arrival.

> all developers except valve are prioritizing dx12
> no sign of support from console manufacturers
> no sign of support from apple on desktop or mobile
> dx12 works on xbox one, so its easier to just use it on pc too
> dx12 already has good dev tools
>>
>>321058884
>all developers except valve
The ones paid off by micropenis
They are in their death throes
>>
>Designed to be used in a wide variety of devices including mobile, desktop, consoles, and embedded platforms
>maximum performance
>mobile
>embedded
this kills the directx
>>
>>321058967
Heh this

t. Developer at big studio
>>
>>321058967
More likely because Valve are one of the handful of developers who *can* work with Vulkan right now, since they gave Khronos a big bag of money to get in the action early.

For everyone else DX12 is the only option to get low-level graphics out the door in a timely manner.
>>
File: elmer fudd jizzed on.jpg (119 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
elmer fudd jizzed on.jpg
119 KB, 512x512
Will it work on W7 and save me from having to ever, ever, ever, ever, ever even look at the soul-stealing ultra-evil that is Windows 10?
>>
>>321058884
> no sign of support from console manufacturers
Rumors point to Nintendo using Vulkan in the future, and Vulkan is already similar to the other Mantle based APIs like the PS4's custom graphics library and D3D12. Of course depending on your definition of 'console' Nvidia's android based Shield devices and Steam Machines will both be using Vulkan.
>>
File: 1448896621370.jpg (72 KB, 648x590) Image search: [Google]
1448896621370.jpg
72 KB, 648x590
>>321059087
>to get in the action early
I wonder what -game- they are developing :^)
>>
>>321059087
Many of them are also part of Khronos and are already working on Vulkan, they just can't release that support or talk about it in depth until the NDA expires which could be just after New Years in what is usually a slow news period or sometime in the next few months.

>>321059192
Yes, all the major hardware vendors have confirmed that they will have Vulkan drivers for Windows 7 day 1 when its released.
>>
>>321059224
That's speculation based on Nintendo joining the Khronos group, they haven't stated why they joined.

Like Microsoft they might just be interested in WebGL, for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Web_Framework
>>
>>321058607
>tfw we will probably never be able to use Linux only if we play a lot of video games

Why must this world be so awful?
>>
>>321059496
That's true, but they've also been users of OpenGL ES which Vulkan is set to replace along side desktop OpenGL. Its also speculated that we'll see a WebVulkan at some point in the not too distant future to replace WebGL.
>>
>>321058607
>linux
>gaming
Chose one faggot
>>
I don't get it. What exactly will they release when the finally do? I'm computer illiterate. Is it just going to be drivers and libraries?
>>
>>321058884
>no sign of support from apple on desktop or mobile
Apple literally don't matter in the gaming business.
>>
>>321059917
Windows 7 has only four years of life left in it. We can't wait till the last second and expect a new gaming OS to pop into existence. For PC gaming as we know it to have a future Linux Gaming must happen.
>>
>>321059941
It's an alternative to DirectX, that's all that matters.
DirectX is owned by Windows and controlled so it ONLY works in the newest Windows versions, forcing everyone to buy the new OS if they want to play games.

Vulkan will work on Linux as well as it does on Windows, and will update for every OS, not the newest ones. This means gaming on Linux might be viable.

Personally I prefer Windows 7 to any distro, but I still don't want to move to 10.
>>
>>321059609
well there is work being done on WebAssembly, so that seems like it would be a reasonable progression
>>
>>321059941
Khronos themselves will release the specification, documentation and some high level libraries. They'll also un-NDA their partners so they can release drivers and any games/demos they've built already.

Dota 2 is the only actual game likely to get a Vulkan renderer in the short term.

>>321059982
Neither does Linux. May as well use DX12 and support two relevant platforms from one codebase, rather than use Vulkan and support one relevant platform and a bunch of Linux shit nobody cares about.
>>
>>321059941
Dev libraries, an open source reference driver, production drivers, API conformance tests, dev tools using the layer support, and possibly updating a couple of games with Vulkan support, namely Unreal Tournament 4 and Dota2.
>>
Sadly I don't think anything will really happen to stop us from having to use Windows.
>>
>>321060180
DX12 only works on Windows 10 based devices though, and its rolling release nature with built in spyware heralds the death of the open PC as we know it.

All the Mantle derived APIs are very similar and Vulkan's workflow is much more like that of DirectX. It will be relatively easy for developers to maintain backends for both which they will do because Android/Linux owns the majority of the market today and GNU/Linux will be pulled along on its coat tails by virtue of their similarity.
>>
>>321060424
t. Microsoft Shill
>>
>>321060424
Wine is going to evolve into something like DOSbox. Built to play games on Linux but ultimately better than what Microsoft provides for game compatibility to the point that it gets used to play those titles even on Windows.

Porting the Gallium middleware or just Gallium Nine to sit on a Vulkan backend would make fast support for D3D extremely portable.
>>
>>321060593
I wish I had a funny face to post in this computer.

Wine is complete crap.
>>
>>321060527
Nigga I hate Microsoft and would like nothing better than use Linux 100%.

But knowing how lazy devs are. They will just continue using DirectX. And that's not counting all the pre-vulcan games.

>>321060593
Yeah. But like Wine only games from like 15 years ago does play better. It's still a massive fucking headache for most semi-modern games.
>>
Really the only thing hold linux back is a cohesive interface that isn't heavily driven by the terminal. ChromeOS is already taking over inexpensive craptop computers, if one or more other companies backing linux like canonical can make an interface that really fits together well and is polished like google then linux might actually have a shot.

>>321060424
4 years is a long time in computer terms we'll see anon.
>>
File: 90.jpg (55 KB, 641x578) Image search: [Google]
90.jpg
55 KB, 641x578
Who cares? Like everything AMD touches it'll be slower and buggier than the competition.
>>
>>321060430
>DX12 only works on Windows 10 based devices though, and its rolling release nature with built in spyware heralds the death of the open PC as we know it.

I think you overestimate how much the average gamer cares. Going by the Steam survey nearly half of gamers with DX12 GPUs have upgraded to Win10 after just 4 months, and that's before there's a single DX12 game to actually incentivize them.
>>
File: 370-vs-760-fallout3-wine.png (15 KB, 605x340) Image search: [Google]
370-vs-760-fallout3-wine.png
15 KB, 605x340
>>321060751
How fast and good Wine is still depends greatly on your hardware, driver, and what branch of Wine you're using. Gallium Nine which I mentioned works with a branch of Wine that uses it to provide what is effectively native D3D9 support.

If a descendant of Gallium Nine is able to replace the current default D3D9->OGL 2.x wrapper by virtue of its being less tied to the open source graphics stack it will result in a number of massive improvements to Wine.
>>
>>321060817
Its mainly people upgrading from Windows 8 though who have already embraced using a tablet OS on the desktop. The pace of users switching to 10 is going to drop off dramatically once the free upgrade period ends. Doubly so once their new anti-piracy measures go into effect.
>>
>>321060817
to be fair Microsoft has cheated a lot of people with the "IT'S FREE" and "IF YOU CLICK YES BY ACCIDENT IT'S TOO LATE TO GO BACK"
>>
>>321060228
>>321060180
Will platforms that currently use OpenGL have to do much to support Vulkan? The reason I ask is that I have heard that Unity has said that they will support it. Is it a large effort on their part to integrate Vulkan?
>>
>>321062192
Retooling an existing DX11/OGL engine to use DX12 or Vulkan effectively is a lot of work. Last I checked UE4s DX12 path was still slower than their DX11 path in a lot of cases, and Epic know their shit.

Adding Vulkan to an engine with DX12 support already implemented or vice versa is relatively easy though, a lot of the concepts overlap.
>>
>>321062192
Vulkan drivers are much simpler than OpenGL, and have the advantage of consistent behavior thanks to the conformance tests being required. So there's no room for Nvidia playing games or making developers guess what the driver is doing internally to produce fast code.

If an engine already supports Mantle or DX12 Vulkan support shouldn't be difficult for them to add, but it does put more responsibility on the engine developer.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.