[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come despite the fact that SOLDIER is constantly mentioned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 321x458) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 321x458
How come despite the fact that SOLDIER is constantly mentioned so much, they barely appear until the end of the game? Shouldn't shinra have used them to guard the reactors and HQ against avalanche, or to chase down Cloud or Sephiroth?
>>
>>321049112
They're too busy gassing the Wutai.
>>
Yeah I noticed at the start of the game after the first bombing mission, President Shinra announces on tv he's mobilising SOLDIER to fight Avalanche, but you don't run into them until like the very end of disc 2.
>>
>>321049112
You need to replay the game? You fight your first soldiers, 'Soldier 3rd Class" in the Shinra HQ in the beginning of the game. They are the elites. you don't use them for routine shit like guard duty, didn't you ever play Crisis Core? Besides, following and kidnapping people was the Turks jobs.
>>
>>321049504
I didn't play Crisis Core. I started replaying the game recently and did the Shinra HQ a few days ago. Don't recall any Soldier 3rd class, but maybe I wasn't paying attention, I was kinda rushing through it.
>>
They explain why in Crisis Core.

>Many 2nd and 3rd Class SOLDIERs disappear along with 1st class SOLDIER Genesis Rhapsodos. Shortly after the desertion Angeal Hewley, also product of the Jenova Project like Sephiroth and Genesis, leaves the organization. Angeal was the SOLDIER's emotional heart, acting as a mentor to the younger members inspiring them to hold on to their "SOLDIER honor". Once the two are gone, Zack Fair, Angeal's protégé, is promoted to 1st Class and takes up Angeal's role as the heart of SOLDIER. Later Lazard defects to join Genesis in causing chaos across the Planet.

>In Final Fantasy VII, while SOLDIER itself plays an important role, actual members are few and far between. This could be attributed to the loss of personnel after the mass desertion, the disappearance of the director of SOLDIER, and the loss of SOLDIER's four most prominent members. The appearances of SOLDIER members are limited to the 3rd Class members guarding the Shinra Science Department area on floors 68 and 69 of the Shinra Building, 2nd Class members stationed in Junon after Meteor is summoned, and 1st Class members guarding the Sister Ray in Midgar.
>>
File: 1350097003164.jpg (35 KB, 400x302) Image search: [Google]
1350097003164.jpg
35 KB, 400x302
>have group of soldiers
>call the group SOLDIER
genius-level writing exemplifying why everyone needs to respect the JRPG genre
>>
>>321049824

They used the English word in a natively Japanese game. You think it's weird because you're a native English speaker.

It's like how other games use Latin words for tons of shit. If you were a native speaker you would think those were weird too.
>>
File: Ff7-barret.png (132 KB, 300x338) Image search: [Google]
Ff7-barret.png
132 KB, 300x338
>@#$&%!
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>321049112

This is not really to the point, but I played a hard-mode of FF7 a while ago which was amazing, and it introduced a trio of soldiers you got to fight several times in the game.

They were very lore-fitting and served as an extra boss battle you got every now and then.

Not to mention they where hard as shit to kill.

Which was fitting. They were SOLDIER.

The first time they where sent for you was when you infiltrated the Shinra building.

Can you imagine going up the stairs and before entering the presidential room, you where greeted by 3 SOLDIERs with 2nd level magic and all three with as much HP as the boss before you.

Oh and they open with an instant-cast haste.

I gotta' look that mod up again, it was fun as fuck.
>>
>>321050961
>at number, dollar, and percent
He hates the state of the economy
>>
>>321049112
i think it's primarily to keep mystery surrounding Cloud's past and the situation with Zack. if you went to the SOLDIER training academy or whatever and everyone doesn't know who the fuck Cloud is it'd be pretty obvious.
>>
File: lelouch lol.jpg (8 KB, 249x244) Image search: [Google]
lelouch lol.jpg
8 KB, 249x244
>>321051949
>>
>>321050081
>It's like how other games use Latin words for tons of shit
Latin is very rarely used in vidya, you're talking out of your ass and need to accept that japan is so neet culture that it's cool and hip to use engrishhu wordsah! and you think it's cool because you own a samurai sword from walmart and watch anime.

I bet you also think it's very cute that girls go "ah..a.a...aah...senpaiii..." and blush when one talks to them and think this is how people work in real life.

NANII!?
>>
>>321052654
>Latin usage to sound cool
>Rare
>Every 40k game ever fucking made
>Baldur's Gate
>Icewind Dale
>Neverwinter Nights
>Every single fucking Might and Magic

Fuck off millennial.
>>
>>321052654
Look at this uneducated faggot.
>>
>>321049504
It's been a while since I've replayed FF7 but I recall Barret asking Cloud if any of the dudes they fought in the Shinra building were from SOLDIER and Cloud replies something dickish like Barret would be dead if they had.
>>
File: 1447931226114.gif (2 MB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
1447931226114.gif
2 MB, 350x300
>>321052654
>Latin is very rarely used in vidya
Nigga you for real?
>>
>>321052989
40k is based on roman shit so yeah I'll give you that but give me some examples from the games you posted
>>
>>321049824
>ultimate destruction magic that calls down a rock to strike the planet
>is called METEOR
>>
>>321049824
>BLIZZARD
>Actually a hailstorm
>>
>>321053374
that was right after the bombing mission, not shinra building

and in the shinra building, you do fight SOLDIER, you can even steal a hardedge for cloud from them

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/SOLDIER:3rd
>>
File: FUCKANIME.gif (3 MB, 300x282) Image search: [Google]
FUCKANIME.gif
3 MB, 300x282
>>321053781
>CURE
>Heals wounds
>HEAL materia
>Cures diseases
>>
>>321053898
BUT THAT'S JUST SUPERIOR NIPPONESE WRITING DESU-KUN
>>
File: SOLDIER_1ST_FF7.png (95 KB, 325x374) Image search: [Google]
SOLDIER_1ST_FF7.png
95 KB, 325x374
>>321053374
You do fight them later, including the 2nd Classes in Junon and 1st Classes in Midgar (late in the game). See >>321049690.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.