[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yeah, those Japanese make stupidly OP characters right guys?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: Superman Prime.jpg (279 KB, 1024x1602) Image search: [Google]
Superman Prime.jpg
279 KB, 1024x1602
Yeah, those Japanese make stupidly OP characters right guys? I like balanced characters the West makes.
>>
I always thought that people who made the argument never knew much about American fiction. I love comics and all but it's retarded how many "Second only to God" characters there are.
>>
Saitama would destroy Superman Prime
>>
If these characters are so powerful, why couldn't they make this thread video games-related?
>>
>>321047953

Character design is vidya, Anon.
>>
>>321047442
Here we go.
>>
the problem with western comics is people are just powerful and evil for the fucking sake of it, meanwhile in JoJo theres villians who are serial killers, GID having mob bosses, gay priests and one who arguably had better intentions than the protagonist(
>>
File: 3373037-956485-19571729.jpg (152 KB, 507x800) Image search: [Google]
3373037-956485-19571729.jpg
152 KB, 507x800
>>321047442

Nah, Americans go full 7-year old with their character designs.
>>
>>321048610

The fuck is even happening in that pic?
>>
>>321049715
Demonbane Superman.
>>
>>321049715
Supes becomes so powerful he senses us reaches into our dimension.
>>
>>321048364
>and one who arguably had better intentions than the protagonist?

Who? The President?
>>
File: WhatWasThatCat.gif (2 MB, 285x214) Image search: [Google]
WhatWasThatCat.gif
2 MB, 285x214
>People surprised/annoyed about the Superman vs Goku Death Battles
>Both characters based around being progressively more bullshit-powerful
>One has been at it for a good half a century longer
>>
>>321048364
The problem with people criticizing western comics is that they have never fucking read them.

It's not like you have shit like the Kingpin and co, who are just mob bosses trying to keep control of their territory who hire assassins to get rid of street-level superheroes like Daredevil and Spidey. It's not like one of the main X-men villains are a group of gay priests who want to kill the x-men because they're against their religion. The rogues gallery, who have been Flash villains for fucking decades, just rob banks because they're greedy and don't want to work a normal job.

Hell, the Punisher exists in the main Marvel universe and all he does is fight against mobsters.
>>
>>321051112

The same level of characters exist in Japanese media, but they still don't have anything that's >>321048610
>>321046882
levels of stupid.

Yeah, the interesting character designs are there, but they are greatly over shadowed.
>>
>>321051395
Yes they do.

Demonbane, Tuskihime (afaik, never even played it) and a shitload of other series have characters gaining power levels of gods. Hell, even Bleach and Naruto have final bosses that become like gods.

There's a shit ton of bad anime that you're ignoring to make your point, because the amount of bad shitty powerlevel anime is about as much as overpowered characters in comics.

The difference is that comic characters are written for 30+ years, and in that timespan someone is bound to make a shitty story. Most of the things about the flash being overpowered come from just a small amount of stories from Morrison (who has a boner for people becomes as powerful as gods and breaking the 4th wall etc). Meanwhile, in the rest of the comics he's losing to a guy who throws exploding tops at him.
>>
>>321051745

Pretty much this. Really the whole east vs. west thing is just retarded to begin with.

Bad character designs are global.

Just to vent though, do people actually like Superman? I remember seeing him for the first time as a kid and thought he was just lame as hell, still do.
>>
>>321051950
>do people actually like Superman?
His comics sell okay, I just looked it up and the highest selling Supes comic in november was the 55th most selling title. Batman always outsells him massively.

His stories are okay, people who say he can't be interesting because he's too powerful have no imagination. I've read a couple of them but I'm not interesting in the current ongoing as the DC reboot is utter shit.
>>
>>321051745
>Tuskihime
You mean Tsukihime? Not really. There's ridiculous hax but no one is an unstoppable god. Hell, the closest character to an unstoppable god gets their shit wrecked in the first act and has to spend the rest of the game massively nerfed and dependent on their attacker. Every broken character has an easily exploitable weakness, and the one who fucked up the god character is just an anemic dude with a knife who wouldn't be able to live past his 30s.
>>
>>321052185
Alright, just named the series because that main character is always really high in power level rankings on /a/
>>
>Characters that become literal gods
Shulk
>>
The problem with comics in general is that there's no talent, because the good ones don't sell well.

Take something like Blacksad for example. It's well-written (for a comic) and the art is absolutely beautiful, yet it's outsold regularly by shitty capeshit rags because the comic-book reading demographic has shit taste. So the comic book writers move to literature and the artists move to traditional art, and all that gets sold is capeshit.

Basically, good comics do exist but not for very long, because the discerning comic book reader is a niche market in a niche market. Much easier to peddle drek and lap up the nerd love.
>>
>>321052341
Really, even allowing for the hax, they're not even that high tier. I think there's maybe one or two legit planet-busters in the entire explanded Nasuverse, and that's about it.
>>
This bat could defeat any superman. He literally would rip him page by page and defecate in his glorified man fantasy turning it into a moisty pasture.

Then he would proceed with his life being a real living creature.
>>
File: 1450611796890.jpg (166 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
1450611796890.jpg
166 KB, 800x534
>>321052604
SCREEEEECH
>>
>>321052454
I don't think that's the problem at all. I think that capeshit and other indie comics have very different audiences, and the people who would be interested in indie comics don't buy any comics at all. I think it's naive to assume that if Marvel and DC (and capeshit from Image) would stop being produced that everybody would switch over to indie comics. Hell, the majority of the capeshit demographic only has character loyalty (and very rarely writer or artist loyalty), which makes it hard to create new characters.

Popular indie comics like Saga and TWD are mostly popular with people who don't read any comics at all. The problem is just that comics fell out of mainstream and they have trouble reaching the mainstream audience again.
>>
>>321051950
Superman is up there as one of the characters that bad jobs are FUCKING AWFUL and good jobs make you love superheroes again
>>
>>321052341
>>321051745
Shiki being riduclously strong is mostly a meme.

That said I agree that jap media does have plenty of other stupidly OP shit like tenchi muyo and umineko and slayers. But I also disagree with people bringing it up as automatically shit. You get people bringing up the existence of elder god demonbane as an instant way to discredit everything about its VN without reading it. Same appliea to many western stuff. OP characters can and often are interesting as fuck if done inside an appropriate plot.
>>
>>321052735
>I think it's naive to assume that if Marvel and DC (and capeshit from Image) would stop being produced that everybody would switch over to indie comics
That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying that the only market for comics is the capeshit market, and that's why comics are shit.

Because the only people who buy them have awful taste.

In effect I am saying the same thing that you are.

The reason comics have trouble reaching the mainstream is because even the good indie comics lack depth and complexity compared to even just an average novel - and they especially lack length. That's a limitation of the format, sadly.
>>
>>321048610
>>321046882

I tried to be okay with Superman Prime. Then it got to this point. Now I just hate Superman in general. Like, I feel like this should be in that image that was comparing the balanced Western character to the OP Japanese one.
>>
>>321053021
>OP characters can and often are interesting as fuck if done inside an appropriate plot.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree
>>
>>321048610
>Americans
>Post a comic written by a Scotsman

wew lad
>>
What was even the point of Superman Prime?
>>
>>321053102
>One story you didn't like makes you hate the character even if stories in both the past and future have nothing to do with it.

Okay.
>>
>>321053342
Morrison has an obsession with Superman-as-Jesus analogies.
>>
>>321053021
>Shiki being riduclously strong is mostly a meme.
Really, both Shikis are textbook case glass cannons. They can do a lot of damage, but ultimately they're just humans and can get fucked up by a suitably tough guy. Or a car, in Ryougi's case.
>>
>>321053403

Nah, I've always been on the verge with Superman. This was the tipping point though.

Okay.
>>
>>321053102
>Dumbass American Character Design.jpg

That's a Scotsman's design, dumbass. From a story written by a Scotsman.

Fucking /v/eddit can't even complain right.
>>
>>321052604
christ, just throw some dust between its eyes and ears and watch it suffer
>>
>>321054294
These little qt3 patooties live in arid areas. They don't mind a few dust.
>>
>>321048364
The only impressively written villain you have there is the President, who is admittedly one of my favorite antagonists of all time. Crazy serial killers and Mob bosses are very common everywhere, especially in western comics. The only unique things about Kira and Diavolo are their powers
>>
>>321049715
Superman has become Thought Robot Superman. Grant Morrison loves metafiction in the comics he writes and here wrote Superman beyond reality as a conceptual powers basically having the metafiction power of "Good Guy Wins". Pretty good if you're into meta cosmic stuff.
>>
>>321055724
Morrison i a faggot
#teammoore
>>
>>321056230
They both have good stories. Their cape works are pretty comparable. But Moore's non-cape is indeed better than Morrison's non-cape
>>
>>321056309
I'm just shitposting. I actually like both, though i like Moore more. And i also think Morrison is still butthurt over Moore about the Miracleman thing.
>>
>>321056471
They're both butthurt at each other for lots of reasons.
>>
>>321048610
>>321046882
>all that fucking needless exposition

it's a visual medium for christ's sake
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.