[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HALO ODST
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: odst2.jpg (550 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
odst2.jpg
550 KB, 1920x1080
yo /v/. Is Halo ODST underrated or overrated? What do you think of the game?
What would you change?
>>
>>321020812
I liked it, but I'm just a huge Halo Fag.
I'd add some sort of multiplayer with the ODSTs, expand on the Campaign's actiony bits.
I love ODSTs, we need more of them.
>>
>>321020812
underrated
>>
Overrated by some, underrated by many. It was pretty good but I think it was a bit pricey for what it was. I really liked firefight though, I don't know why everyone seems to dislike it.
>>
Overrated if you're going by /v/. Canonically, it made no sense and just made me cringe the whole time.

>an ODST can detach a turret
>an ODST can even take out a single platoon of Covenant alone

No, just no
>>
>>321022067
ODST can take out large amounts of Covenant, just not full on frontal assault like the Spartans. If they've got the advantage of surprise I'm sure they could take out a pretty big number of em.
>>
>>321022283
I understand you can have one unique and lucky ODST that is capable of achieving a lot, but you're just capable of way too much in the game for it to be believable in the canon. An ODST shouldn't fight as competently as Master Chief does.
>>
>>321022704
They shouldn't and they don't
>>
>>321023476
You more or less do in ODST.
>>
>>321020812
An incredibly underrated game, both as an entry into the Halo series and a game on it's own.
ODST features the one of the greatest examples of atmosphere and a story told through the environment itself. It also has Marty O'Donnel's greatest work.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG8asZmMJ_c
>>
Its rated just fine. It was a genuinely good game, that gets praised justly plenty but fly's under everyone's radar regardless
Bloody screen ruins the game to be honest
I mean you got a red hue on top of the bloom and/or NVG green
It pisses me off to no end, we have a fucking giant health bar
>>
>>321020812
It's one of the best Halo games. It's not perfect. It probably should have felt different than the other games. ODSTs felt too much like playing as Master Chief.

If anything it's underrated.
>>
What really is underrated about ODST is the OST. I feel like it doesn't get enough attention. In a vidya world where top tier OSTs are dominated by Japanese games, ODST can go pound for pound against any of them.
>>
>>321023913
>It also has Marty O'Donnels greatest work
Sure the ODST ost is great, but come on let's be honest here, this is the pinnacle of Martys music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTCcrXf2buQ
>>
>>321020812
It was good but its reputation will forever be tarnished by MS pricing it at double what it should have been
>>
I got this in 2011 and it was a great purchase since it included H3 multiplayer
>>
>>321020812
ODST is definitely the best halo ever made.
>>
Overrated by most saying its the best halo game, the campaign is lacking on some of the missions and it just not as fun as the other games to co-op

>>321024186

Meh, there is literally only 2 memorable tracks and both are downbeat piano songs
Halo Wars is clearly the peak of Halo OSTs
>>
>>321023818
Not really, unless you play on easy.
I always kept my distance and used whatever was round me. I often ran out of ammo.
>>
>>321020812
Overrated but a decent game. Don't remember too much about it but I do remember being underwhelmed coming off the back of Halo 3 (confirmed for best Halo).My observations:
- That hubworld was interesting but so damn tedious and often very hard to find those helmets or whatever triggered a level. Wasn't fun or interesting scavenging for parts, didn't really help the story
- Graphics were too dark and murky and relied on the can't see chit captain night vision.
- Characterisations worked reasonably well but they were still pretty cringeworthy/uninteresting.
- Not as epic a scope as the main games making it closer to a generic scifi corridor shooter.
- I think it had a cool jetpack level I liked at the time.
>>
>>321020812
the city in the campaign was amazing, and i was glad they didnt seperate it from the halo 3 online multiplayer, but instead improving it
>>
Post your halo rankings /v/

>Story/Writing:
2 > ODST > Reach > 3 = 5 > CE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4

>Campaign missions
2 > Reach > ODST > 3 = 5 = 4 > CE

>Atmosphere
ODST > Reach > CE > 2 > 3 = 4 = 5

>Music
ODST > CE = 2 = 3 > Reach > 5 > 4

>Default MP (MM settings)
2 > 5 > CE > 3 >> Reach >>> 4

>MP maps
2 > CE > 5 = 3 = 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reach

>Amount of content/Modularity
Reach >> 4 > 3 = 5 (with forge, still lacking gametypes) > 5 (originally) > 2 = ODST > CE

>Weapon balance
5 > Reach > CE >>>>>>>>>> 3/ODST = 4 = 2

I think CE is super overrated if you can't tell.

>>321022067
"canonically" most of ODST was the rookie sneaking around, and avoiding engagements.

As far as turrets, gameplay and lore segregation. You don't complain about how single plasma pistol shots don't melt marines or how single needler shards blow arms off in the normal halo games do you?
>>
>>321020812
it's overrated on this board only

on the rest of the internet it gets called out for what it is: a short, no multiplayer cash grab by M$ with the sole intention of tiding the fanbase over until Reach
>>
>>321022067
Was it just me or did you move faster while holding a turret in ODST compared to 3? I was never sure if it was because you were smaller so it felt that way or you were actually faster.
>>
Are there any more games like ODST and Opposing Force, A single soldier having to meet up with his lost crew to escape some sort of area overrun with aliens out to kill him?

It's such a cool feeling.
>>
>>321029024
It's an optical illusion.

>>321028939
Bungie wanted it to be an expansion to halo 3, not a full game.
>>
>>321028750
Haven't played 5 yet.

>Story/Writing:
ODST>Reach>3=2>>>4

>Campaign missions
ODST=Reach=3>1=2>4

>Atmosphere
ODST=Reach>1>3>2>>>4

>Music
ODST=3>Reach>1=2>>>4
ODST broke the mold, and 3 aced the Halo sound. Reach had some great tracks and some meh ones. 1 is solid, but overshadowed by 3 in every way, 2 is good in its own right. 4 has a few good tracks but mostly middling ones.

>Default MP (MM settings)
3>2>Post-TU Reach>Post-TU 4>Reach>4

>MP maps
3>2>Reach=1>4

>Amount of content/Modularity
Reach>3>4>2=ODST>CE

>Weapon balance
3>2>Post-TU 4=Post-TU Reach>Reach>ODST>1=4

After weapon balancing, 4's guns all felt great in MP, rather than an eclectic mix of shit, great, and whatever. I was outshooting fools in 4 at medium range with an AR before and after updates.

Reach's AR was accurate, but too weak. 3's was decent, but unimpressive. 1's was good, but felt like an SMG in its effective range.

ODST made the AR shit with its huge reduction in effectiveness against Brute power armor compared to 3, so there was no reason to not use the SMG except for more spare ammo capacity. The pistol was useless against shields/PA as well, but godly for unshielded enemies, making it vary between shit and great wildly depending on the enemies faced, or whether those enemies had shields/PA or not.

Who else remembers the flying Elephant maps?
>>
>>321030921
The DMR was way too good in 4 pre TU, and the BR too good after, and too many guns did the same shit but worse then some other gun. 3 had the same issuer.

I felt the range boost to the AR in reach was good enough to totally outweigh the damage reduction. Nearly every gun in reach was good in it's niche, without the niche being too small, and without tons of guns doing the same thing.

In any case the weapon balance in 5 is miles ahead of every other halo game. The AR for instance has better range then reach's and like 4 level damage, for instance, the SMG and storm rifle are monsters, etc.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.