[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>graphics don't matter How can anyone say this with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
>graphics don't matter

How can anyone say this with a straight face and mean it? Do you really not have the capacity to understand the depth there can be in having high fidelity visuals? Just like in painting, the more complex the shapes are, the more that can be expressed in them.
>>
>>321019607
>Just like in painting, the more complex the shapes are, the more that can be expressed in them.

Nigga there's an entire genre of painting that explicitly denies this. And while graphics sometimes matter (depends on game), art style is more important.
>>
Graphics don't add enough to gameplay to merit the amount of time and resources spent on them. If you're spending 50,000 man hours making your textures and models as realistic as possible but shitting all over your mechanics, balancing, and testing departments; you're failing at making a game. Your game might sell well initially if it looks pretty, but you're not going to succeed as a company in the long run if all you're seeking is the loyalty of an impulse buyer.
>>
>>321019913
>Nigga there's an entire genre of painting that explicitly denies this.
And it's all bogus charlatan crap.

>>321019947
I don't agree at all. Graphics add to the atmosphere tenfold. There's no excuse to not relentlessly support their advancement alongside the advancement of mechanics, and there's no excuse to not have enough resources for both. If you can't put equal resources into both, that's just a problem with the company in question.
>>
>>321019607

different media express things differently. games express primarily through gameplay.

sage for shit thread
>>
>>321020160
>If you can't put equal resources into both
Budgets aren't unlimited. More money is spent on appearance than substance. History has proven this time and time again as graphics matter more and more to developers and consumers; gameplay matters less and less. The medium is gravitating more towards multimedia entertainment rather than video games.
>>
>>321020160
Graphics have diminishing returns on how much they add to gameplay. We are nearing that peak. If you can visually convey what each entity in your game is supposed to be and have a noticable art style you aren't going to gain much by multiplying the polygon count. We should be advancing game mechanics that are non-trivial to implement rather than having this pointless graphics race.
>>
>>321019607
Graphics only matter as much as the experience of a particular game is dependent upon them. It's all relative to what the visuals of a particular game are trying to express.
>>
>>321020193
VIDEO games, friend. The visual and audio aspect is half of it. Your argument is severely flawed.

>>321020327
I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying the current state of the industry is perfect, but I am complaining about people who, because they think what you think, completely end their support of advancing graphics. Moreover, they even accept games that look like total ass as if it's even remotely acceptable.

>>321020629
Graphics sustain the art style. Graphical limits are art style limits.
>>
>>321019607

>What is Minecraft
>>
>>321021075
>Moreover, they even accept games that look like total ass as if it's even remotely acceptable.
Both extreme sides of the spectrum are ridiculous. I personally believe that graphics should be treated like the conduit to enhance the gameplay, and once the graphics can accomplish what the gameplay requires then any remaining effort and budget should be spent on polishing both at the same time. I've seen too many games fall apart because the graphics couldn't keep up with the game's ambition, and games where the gameplay was completely abandoned for the sake of bullshots.

The failure in most instances is the responsibility of people in charge early in development because they didn't have a clear vision or understanding of what was reasonably possible.
>>
>>321021487
A turd popular among autistic 13 year olds.
>>
I guess graphics are important but I'm more of "play video games" guy so they're far down on the list.

If you do believe graphics are THE thing, then by extension you believe fallout 1 is terrible and Crysis is the greatest game ever.
>>
We'll never have a 3D ass look this good if graphics don't get better.
>>
framerate>grapics literally 100% of the time
>>
>>321019607

I know there is a perfect filename for that image, but the exact one escapes me.
>>
>>321019607
Video games aren't paintings
>>
What do the graphics actually add to a game unless your after 100% realism? The only graphics I need are ones that are playable or a pain in the ass to look at (non ps1 or atari shit)
>>
>>321023005
fuck this site really needs a edit button
>>
>>321020160
Gamers once again revealing exactly why video games will never be taken seriously
>>
>>321019607

It's worth giving some context to that image.

Those are nymphs, that is a satyr. Satyrs normally fuck nymphs with their fat goat dicks, and nymphs generally don't like it.

So, what the nymphs are doing in this particular instance is force the satyr into their spring. When a nymph typically forces you into their spring, they're doing it to drown you.
>>
>>321019607
I'll take good art style over inflated polygon counts and textures any day of the week. Don't Starve for example looks amazing, and will still look amazing 10 years down the road.

Yes good graphics are nice, but gameplay mechanics have regressed in many ways at the same rate which is freaking sad.
>>
File: 1397522851082.gif (805 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
1397522851082.gif
805 KB, 250x141
>>321023183
This is why dryads are better.
>>
if someone says graphics don't matter, they're probably a nintendo fan
>>
>>321019607
i love my grafix
>>
File: 1398218606326.webm (2 MB, 1872x820) Image search: [Google]
1398218606326.webm
2 MB, 1872x820
>>321019913
OP fucking told in the first post.

>>321020160
And the fact that THIS was your reply just shows how much of a fucking idiot you really are. Go back to CoD or whatever it is kids are playing right now.
>>
>>321019607
Aesthetics and concepts are everything. An old man on the market can paint a perfect landscape, but there's nothing to it, just an empty landscape.

It's the same principle with vidya. AAA fps war games can be the best looking games out there but aside from that they are boring, as there's nothing interesting in it.

If you think art should be just 19th century paintings, then you have no word in it. You're cancer.
>>
>graphics whores not executed on site
>>
>>321023501
>MUH GAME DOESN'T LOOK SHITTY THATS MUH STYLE
>>
>>321019607
It really depends on the genre.

In a JRPG, for example, graphics have really helped a lot. Modern JRPGs don't take advantage of this often enough. But the fact that we can actually convey emotions on 3D character faces now is a pretty big deal and should have a much bigger impact on story-driven games.

But in a shmup, graphics aren't as important. It's just spaceships blowing up aliens. It hasn't honestly come that far since Space Invaders. Sure, there's some subgenres and subversions. But the genre as a whole hasn't really gone far.
>>
>>321019607
I agree as long as they aren't the only selling point and you don't include fps as a graphics standard.

Would I want my old favorites like Earthbound and FF6 exactly the same but looking modern? Oh fuck yes. Hell, I want Lost Odyssey to look better and that's just from last gen. I refuse to play shit like Undertale partly because I lived through the bad graphics days and have no interest in going back.
>>
>>321023307

Dryads are tree-nymphs, anon. Their behavior is almost exactly the same, only they're a lot more shy.

So instead of fucking a cute girl by a pool, you're pushing a cute girl up against an oak tree and fucking her.
>>
>>321019607

If you can't appreciate a game because its "old" or whatever then you should get the fuck out of this hobby.

If a game looked good for its time and plays fine its pretty damn fine. You people are what is ruining this hobby.
>>
>>321022905
Thank you Captain Obvious. Or do you mean, that video games can never be as visually stunning as paintings? In which case, you have no imagination apparently.

>>321023005
Immersion.

>>321023271
>Don't Starve for example looks amazing
What low standards. Anyways, you have no imagination if you fail to see that better graphics means better achievable art styles.

>>321023432
>AAA fps war games can be the best looking games out there but aside from that they are boring, as there's nothing interesting in it.
That's because they play straight realism way too often. If they added a fantastical side to them, then FPS war games would be top notch in the art style department as far as I'm concerned. War is the raw energy of vidya after all.
>>
>>321021562
This

But still graphics are not that important. I hope we finally reach photorealistic graphics soon, that way there's no more squabble for HU gOT DA BETS GREFEKZ and developers will HAVE to focus on gameplay and story to make their games succeed. At least I hope that's how shit will go. Who knows, based on current trends, maybe the game with the most microtransactions will sell the best
>>
graphics definitely do matter, just not as much as gameplay
>>
>>321024449
>immersion

>Shit my character just morphed into a fuckshit of textures and disappeared into the wall, and that enemy is sliding around in the default T-pose, but at least the graphics are good
>>
>>
>>321019607
Playing Undertale and enjoying it more than anything I've played in a while. Yeah, graphics don't matter that much. I'd put good music way above graphics, which is something very few games have these days.
>>
>>321019607
>The more complex the shapes are

You are retarded. You don't know anything about painting.

The reason that painting reads so well is because the composition. Look at where your eyes flow. The second most important thing are the large value structures. These two things are the essence of the painting, not your shitty details.
>>
Everything fucking matters in a game, design should shine through all aspects whether it be music and sound cues/effects, graphics/frame rate and aesthetics, and of course the actual mechanics and how it presents a story or lack there of

just remember that graphics doesn't necessarily mean the actual fidelity, but also straight up how something looks (colours, lighting, how everything is framed)

also animations, don't forget animations because they're important as shit
>>
>>321019607
Graphics do matter, just not as much as the other factors
>>
Graphics are definitely important, but I'm much more interested in the development of enemy AI, animation and physics
>>
If a game tries to be realistic and fails, that's bad.

But if the game never sought out realism in the first place, there isn't any reason to get upset over the lack of it.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.