[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will we reach the point of diminishing returns re: graphics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
We can always add more detail and more polygons , but will we reach a point where the difference are too hard to tell?
>>
We already have. At this point higher polygon counts change next to nothing.
>>
In terms of pouring more money into games to make them look better, a long time ago. This can't keep up simply because of the rising costs.
>>
>>321008204
It's easy to tell when you see it in an image not meant for ants.
>>
>600x332
YOU FUCKING MONG
also
>Implying we haven't had diminishin returns for more than a decade
>>
File: 1437331337842.jpg (49 KB, 1223x1240) Image search: [Google]
1437331337842.jpg
49 KB, 1223x1240
>>321008204
>Konami will only utilize the game engine for PES games
>>
>>321008204
>difference are too hard to tell
Not for another 10 years or so if consoles keep holding everything back.
>>
A long way from now.

Character models are looking better and better, but animation and environment density detail are still hugely lacking.
>>
>>321008204
>MGS5 was literally made with PS3/360 in mind
>PS4 and XBone only and after thought
>Surprised that the game looks nearly the same on both platforms except for small easy to change settings like shadows or draw distance
Come back when you get a better example picture OP
>>
>Game consoles hold everything back by ten years
>When they get updated, they still only use 2-5 year old hardware
>Vita made with recent hardware, a real golden goose
>Nip devs don't utilize it at all and only continue to make their shitty rpgs and visual novels with slightly higher resolutions

You can tell the lazy ones vs the passionate. Witcher reinventing vs Souls rehashing etc
>>
MGS5 looks largely the same across the five platforms, but it runs different on each of them. On last gen, it runs at 720p at 30FPS, on the PS4 it runs at 1080p 60FPS. 1080p is already over twice the pixel density of the last gen consoles, and it runs it twice as smoothly. This effectively means that the PS4 is 4 times stronger than last gen consoles. The difference might not be obvious at the surface, but they are real differences.

Let's not forget that the PS4 version is also compromising shadow quality, draw distance, and lighting, when compared to the same game maxed out on PC.
>>
>>321008204
We've pretty much hit it in terms of polygons, now we need lighting, shaders and textures to catch up. You'd be amazed how much of a massive difference lighting makes, even in really low poly scenes.
>>
>>321012470
Animation is far more skill than tech.

Thats more of finding the right people.
>>
>>321010073
Polygon count isn't relevant anymore, it's pretty minor compared to shit like shaders, lightning engines, tesselation etc.
>>
>>321013259
There's also a lot of tech behind it, though. Making animations smoothly blend together and interact with the environment so that they look realistic requires solid animation technology.
>>
>>321013158
>720p at 30FPS

Try 20-25 FPS
>>
>>321012834

Vita is 5 year old hardware.
>>
>>321013771
The point still stands. MGS5 might "look the same" across all the platforms, but you are nuts if you think that the PS4 is a "negligible" improvement over last gen, to say nothing of PC. There's a reason why a bunch of the last gen remasters are 1080/60 compared to last gen's 720/30. The extra power allows those games to run at those specs, despite looking largely the same.
>>
File: Render.webm (3 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Render.webm
3 MB, 1024x576
When all games look like this.
Until then, we're nowhere near.
>>
We probably won't see photorealistic graphics until about 2020 and that's being optimistic
>>
>>321014240
>not realizing that a small arch vis apartment is the easiest type of environment to make photorealistic

Adding organic elements like trees, characters or even dirt/grass is what kills the illusion fucking fast.
>>
>>321014240
An apartment full of square angles is cheating.

Bedsheets kill it fast.
>>
>>321008204
Tech wise, we are not even close
However there's also the monetary factor this kind anon already pointed out
>>321010926

>>321014025
>despite looking largely the same.
Maybe at longer viewing distances, once you get up close, the low resolution takes it's toll
>>
>>321014240
Who gives a shit about highly modeled static scenes? When shit starts moving and physics is added is when things gets interesting. They still have yet to fix the clipping problems.
>>
>>321010926
Nah. Devs are constantly finding ways to reduce the time and money it takes to make assets. Photogrammetry/portable 3d scanners will make getting photorealistic assets a breeze.
>>
>>321014240
The only thing that looks good there is the global illumination. Texutres and models are worse than a lot of current games.
>>
>>321008204
We have a LOT to improve
>Realistic physics
>Funcional hair physics
>Map polygon quality
(Belive me, sometimes is shitty as fuck)
>Funcional water physics, not that flat shit fom almost every single AAA.
>Better facial anmation and capture
Don't make me remember Until Down and it's uncanny valley
>Preformance in videogames
A very underrated feature.
>Good directors in videogames.
There are very few popular videogame directors, and they are underrated for their work.
>Burn EA and the mobile gaming.

Videogame industry has just begun, in a few years i'm not sure of what are they gonna do, but i bet it's gonna be great.
>>
>>321015275
>The only thing that looks good there is the thing that hugely improves visuals
Okay?
>>
>>321008204
We're already seeing the public opinion shift from focusing on visual fidelity to placing more importance on stability and frame rates.
>>
>>321015470
>>Preformance in videogames
>A very underrated feature.
>>Good directors in videogames.
>There are very few popular videogame directors, and they are underrated for their work.
>>Burn EA and the mobile gaming.
not graphics
>>
>>321015703
Graphics won get THAT much better, olso, Polygons are graphics
>>
we are currently at that point OP. the next technology advancement will be the big push.
>>
>>321015618
I think that's unrelated, considering that lately a lot of AAA games have optimization issues and can't even reach stable 30 fps

>>321015703
>>>Preformance in videogames
>>A very underrated feature.
>not graphics
But it is related, no point in having a photorealistic game run at single digits performance
>>
>>321013158
>>321014025
So your point is to use the fact that MGS5 looks largely the same on every platfrom it is on, yet it looks and performs better on PS4 among the consoles, with this proving the PS4 is a big improvement to last gen consoles.
tl;dr: your point is the PS4 is a big step from last gent.
Good, now take your opinion/fact/whatever you wanna call it and shove it up your ass because it has literally nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
>>
>muh polycountDiminishingReturns.jpg

Graphics are more than polygon count and resolution. There are a lot of advances to be made and we desperately need more processing power.

Higher res textures, particles, physics, proper cloth rendering, destructible environment and so many other aspects still need a fuckton of work.
>>
>>321008204
need more polygons for rounded objects
it will take a few years until low end pcs are strong enough, then we will see true progress.
>>
File: AbeOik6.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
AbeOik6.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>>321008204
>600x332
>will we reach a point where the difference are too hard to tell?
>>
File: 1447715620120.jpg (69 KB, 306x331) Image search: [Google]
1447715620120.jpg
69 KB, 306x331
>>321016116
>performance doesn't matter in realtime graphics
>resolution doesn't matter
holy shit, how retarded can you be?
>>
>>321013432
>Polygon count isn't relevant anymore
And that's because of diminishing returns.

Lighting and shit will never ever give the same returns as going from a character with a h as made of 5 polygons to one made out of dozens.

Most of the graphical effects that they are now adding or improving are barely visible in the moment to moment gameplay if it has any speed.
Half the reason games are cinematic now is that it allows devs to shove their new graphics in your face that would barely bee noticed otherwise.
>>
>>321016187
Diminishing returns doesn't mean nothing gets improved anymore. It means shit like higher resolutions AGAIN, and realistic cloth are nothing compared to the jumps we had in graphics previously. It's kind of hilarious that you brought up resolution of anything because increasing resolution is the definition of diminishing returns.

Polygon count is a perfect example but not all encompassing. Other tricks and graphical effects cone in because of the literal diminishing returns from using the previous ones.
>>
File: A43YhvtCUAA08Gt.jpg (47 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
A43YhvtCUAA08Gt.jpg
47 KB, 500x442
>>321008204
My question is when do i get to play games without fucking jaggies everywhere even on ultimate maximum JUST MAX MY SHIT UP SENPAI edition?
>>
>>321017604
My point was that there is more to graphics than these areas which has been the focus of graphics development. There are so many areas where huge leaps can be made.

Even these two areas, resolution and poly count still needs a lot of work. we've got a long way to go before diminishing returns really kicks in.
>>
Polygon count still matters just not in the linear garbage that tends to have the best graphics. GTA has never had a problem with diminished returns in graphics because of its scale
>>
>>321013432
Gosh thanks for repeating my point back to me.
>>
>>321013432

Which is exactly what he said about diminishing returns. Nobody gives a shit about minor grafix like that.

I hope grafixfagging stops so devs have to focus on gameplay, story, music, etc.
>>
>>321019586
>I hope grafixfagging stops so devs have to focus on gameplay, story, music, etc.
But the devs are the ones pushing for 'muh cinematic experiences for mature gamurs' and even then, they still end up downgrading everything
>>
>>321019771

Devs don't decide what will be trendy, gamers do. Popular developers pander to the majority, unpopular developers to the minority.
>>
>>321012665
>muh 30fps movie experience

Fuck off Sonygger
>>
We have been at that point for a while now, realistic looking games only really have textures and lighting above bad looking games, not polycount.

A good example is that effect on bad shadows where they have extremely jagged edges or might be discontinuous, put that on top of a high polycount model and it will make it look like shit.
>>
>>321008204
>Using a tiny compressed image for graphical comparisons
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.