[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Steam has trained PC gamers like dogs to never buy games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
>Steam has trained PC gamers like dogs to never buy games on release and instead wait for sales even if the game launches at 20 dollars
>people wonder why devs make so much DLC now
Why are sales a good thing again?
>>
>>320996225
Nope.
>>
While I agree that steam is an abomination I don't think that's the reason for more DLC

It's just corporate greed pushing farther and people with no spine eating it up

That being said Steam is a great platform for shoveling out DLC so it is contributing to the problem
>>
File: 1269833459453.gif (549 KB, 360x359) Image search: [Google]
1269833459453.gif
549 KB, 360x359
Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!
So THAT'S why there's so much DLC!!!!

Wooooooooowwwwieee! Thanks, OP!
Whooa, learn something every day!
This 4chan, what a cool place!
>>
File: 1442176312926s.jpg (2 KB, 104x125) Image search: [Google]
1442176312926s.jpg
2 KB, 104x125
>WHY AREN'T YOU BUYING GAMES FOR 60$
>LITERALLY WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU
>STOP HURTING MY VIDEOGAMES
>>
>>320996225
All modern games suck cock so why would anyone buy them at full price?
>>
>>320996225
They allow third worlders like me to buy games cheap.
>>
>>320997116
Mexico please go
>>
>>320996225
There are people on every platform who will never pay full price for a game. On consoles they'll buy used, but that's not possible on PC. Steam sales exist to reach that market. Without sales that particular group would probably just pirate everything.
>>
>>320997269
I'm not mexican.

Anyway, make me.
>>
>>320997116
>Console pleb paying full price for his shitty CoD rehash.
But I'm not a poorfag.
>>
>>320997396
Oh...
>>
Nah, DLC gets made so much now because consoles have the means of receiving it, which wasn't possible before the 6th gen.

If anything, Steam sales have attempted to correct the trend of keeping digital and physical prices tied together. When it's cheaper to buy a boxed disc than a license from a digital platform for the same game, something is wrong with the system.
>>
>>320997305
Given how used denies the developer / publisher a sale while a retailer banks on it without making any effort, technically is worse than piracy.
>>
File: cone pls go.jpg (116 KB, 976x641) Image search: [Google]
cone pls go.jpg
116 KB, 976x641
>built a great gaming PC
>hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank
>only buy Humble Bundles and games discounted to 75% or more
>>
>Neo /v/ thread

Anyone with half a brain knows you can ALWAYS get a game cheaper at launch. I've never paid 60 dollars straight up for a game since 2010, and even back then I aimed at deals like buy 1 get one 40% off or some shit.

Complaining about steam sales is like complaining about the jews.
>>
>>320997972
Still better than just pirating. At least the developer is getting some money from it.
>>
>>320997795

And as we saw at the start of the 8th gen, publishers were looking for ways to stop used console game sales.

Then they realized that those are pretty much the only thing consoles have going for them besides the odd exclusive title (which loads of people will only buy used anyway), so they're not going to stop it any time soon.
>>
File: guldan is cute.png (467 KB, 700x990) Image search: [Google]
guldan is cute.png
467 KB, 700x990
you should buy some games anon
>>
>>320996225
Except some of us aren't poor and we can buy games whenever we want you fucking retard.
>>
>>320997795
Meh. They usually make back their budget from new sales quickly if it is a good game.
>>
>>320998096
To be fair used is how it should be. You should be able to sell the disc with the software anytime you please.
Also, consoles have a definitive advantage over PC: easiness to use. And I talk as someone who abandoned consoles since the PS2.
>>
I do this on consoles too. Games go on sale so quickly after release I see no reason to ever buy a game full price. I haven't bought a $60 game in years.
>>
>>320998267
Still they're being denied a sale.
On the other hand:
- If the game is good, people aren't going to part with it so easily. They'll go as far as buying a second copy for their friends / significant others / "to borrow copy"
- If the game is shit people will want to get rid of it as soon as possible; stores are flooded by the used game, killing new sales.
>>
>>320996225
If it's a game I've been waiting for I just buy it when it comes out because I'm not a fucking pleb who doesn't have a job

If it's a game I wouldn't have gotten anyways I MIGHT get it on sale by impulse

My library is full of games I never would have paid full price for
If they stopped doing sales they would get full returns from their dedicated base but a lot less from people like me

DLC is just low effort milking for the amount of work actually done, like artificially raising the game's price through selling pieces of it
>>
>>320996225
>buying games on release

LMAO
>>
>>320998467
90% of the time I buy something on sale on PlayStation Store. Got a lot of games cheaper than used discs.
>>
>>320998286

Well, with the rise of Steam machines, PC will have a (somewhat) cheap method of getting into gaming without the perceived hassles of setup and maintenance.

I'm not saying there are no advantages to a console, but compared to back in the day they have been losing ground in terms of advantage.
>>
>>320996225
there's literally tens of thousands of games on PC, steam doesn't make the competition any more harsh, its just a collection of mildly notable releases
>>
Why would I ever pay 60€ for a game when I could pay €20 or even less?
>>
>>320998161
I'm rich and I still very rarely buy games at release. Very few games are worth $60 or $70 to me and I usually don't mind waiting.
>>
>>320997305
Can confirm. Over the course of a decade I bought maybe two new games for the PS2, and 40 used titles. On PC unless it's a game I really want I'll pirate it unless it's on sale.
>>
File: keep_me_posted.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
keep_me_posted.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
Can I get 60 hours out of a $60 game? If not I won't buy it. How many hours can I get out of it? There you will find how many dollars it is worth
>>
>>320999280
this is the most retarded logic
>>
So you are saying that devs/pubs would stop trying to earn more money by selling dlc if they only earned more on the base game. Seems reasonable. We all know that they are only interested in earning x amount of money and not a penny more after all.
>>
>>320996225
dlc is a result of digital distribution ease, they're literally printing money
>>
>>320997305
This and also not all games are worth full 60$ at release, so I usually just wait until it's on sale. I'd probably buy a lot more games if the shorter ones were sold for like 30-40$, but instead I just wait until they are in a bundle or on sale for 5$.
>>
>>320999448
Maybe if you've become accepting of over paying for things. Everyone nowadays thinks of how many hours they can get out of a game before buying. See all the 5 hour long complaints.

I make sure to get my money's worth. An 8 hour game is not worth the same as a 60 hour game.
>>
>>320999448
Not necessarily. A $60 game must feel like it was worth your money.
>>
Actually devs releasing broken as fuck games turned me off buying games on release.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.