[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When was the last time a game was "revolutionary",
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: DMC1FrontCover.jpg (41 KB, 279x397) Image search: [Google]
DMC1FrontCover.jpg
41 KB, 279x397
When was the last time a game was "revolutionary", not "evolutionary?"
Pic related. I can't think of any new genres that appeared after Devil May Cry.
assfaggots don't count
>>
>>320960832
Does NiGHTS and W101 count?
>>
>>320960832
Metroid Prime was pretty good I think. But then again Metroid Prime didn't spawn a complete sub-genre of video games.
>>
>>320960928
I don't know, I mean Okami was pretty unique. But I doubt it was as revolutionary as Devil May Cry 1. Devil May Cry spawned its sequels and other IPs like God of War, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, etc..
>>
>3D hack-and-slash from PS2.
>Being revolutionary.

Pls.
>>
Arkham Asylum was sort of revolutionary in the genre of automated combat. Great game for everything else though.
>>
>>320960928
No, it would have to have a lasting impact to be revolutionary and neither game did that.
>>
I would argue Demons Souls was the last revolutionary game
>>
>>320961163
Fair point.
Too soon for W101 but we all know it'll never get a sequel or inspire new games like it

Fuck you guys for not buying it
>>
>>320960969
God you're dumb.
>>
>>320961141
Arkham had the kind of combat that was perfect for casuals, and if you want it to be harder you could make it harder and more complicated.

I'd say it's a revolutionary game.
>>
>>320961258
Anon I bought Devil May Cry 1 on release day in 2001 and I bought 3 copies of TW101. I did my part.
>>
What was the first game to use QTEs?

>>320961141
>automated combat
I would argue that Assassin's Creed invented that.
>>
>>320961141
I would go back further and say Assassin's Creed (1) and this is coming from someone who hates the series.

So many games have aped it at this point that it has to be considered a success or an industry standard in some way.
It kicked off modern open world popularity and elements like the terrain traversal and simple "combat" system utilizing counters.
>>
>>320961487
Earliest I can think of is RE4

Unless you include games like Space Ace and Dragon's Lair
>>
>>320961561
RE4 although brought QTE in this world also set the norm for good TPS' controls and camera
>>
>>320960832
dmc was not a new genre. what the shit are you smoking
>>
>>320961664
correct me if im wrong, but RE4 didnt let your right stick control your aiming. It did the same thing as Metroid Prime
>>
>>320960832
Slightly off topic but I just replayed DMC2 after completing DMC3.
Holy shit I don't remember this game being so bad.
I knew it was bad but not this bad.

Literally no redeemable qualities to it.
>>
>>320961561
>>320961664
Shenmue, anyone? Hell, you could argue that Clock Tower (SNES) has QTE 'combat'.
>>
>>320960832
RE4 revolutionized TPS by deciding on a point-of-view that wasn't terrible like most TPS games.

>>320961141
That's not a bad answer actually.

>>320961528
That's another good one.
>>
>>320961961
>Literally no redeemable qualities to it
Dantes hair moves when you do things.
>>
Journey I think was revolutionary not only with the way it implemented multiplayer, but breaking down barriers like having to have dialogue in a game in order to tell a great story.
>>
>>320962420
Journey isnt the first game to have a story without dialogue
>>
Shadow of the Colossus was like nothing I had ever seen before
>>
>>320960928
>>320960969
>>320961089
>>320961141
>>320961230
>>320961331
>>320962420
Jesus, the underage.
>>
>>320962495
That's true, but I felt like it was the first game to successfully have multiplayer without any dialogue intentionally. Not that they couldn't fit it in there, but because not having dialogue was a decision that made the game better for it.
>>
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
search your feelings, you know it to be true
>>
>>320963043
Honestly I'm having more trouble thinking of multiplayer games with dialogue than multiplayer games without dialogue
>>
>>320962950
please sir, tell me more
>>
>>320963312
Let me break it down for you.

>Co-Op game: Open dialogue. Meaning voice chat. With a friend.

>Journey: Primitive communications with a stranger.
>>
>>320960832
Last of Us.

People are gonna meme this post, but it really was the first video game to actually tell a character-driven story since the dawn of modern vidya graphics and voice acting. It may not be a story that's particularly unique in and of itself, in terms of absolute medium, but it is unique from a vidya standpoint.

Writing in 99% of video games went to shit as they transitioned to 3D.

RPGs have spent a long time trapped in a spiral of "your choices matter" to the point that they eliminate any actual meaningful storytelling (and usually also any meaningful decisions) in favor of being more sandboxy. Fallout 3/4 are examples of this.

Even games that do still put stock in character-driven emotion do it in a different way. Take Bastion, for example- rescuing that faggot traitor was an extremely powerful moment in an excellent game. But it was just that, a moment- the story of Bastion was basically nonexistent. It wasn't a focus of the game at all. The gameplay, the music, the set pieces, those were focused on instead (to great effect).

Other story-driven games today aren't character driven. Look at games like the Final Fantasy or Witcher series- while they're filled with colorful and interesting characters, and focus on telling a story, that story is driven by plot and event, not by character. You don't play through the Witcher 3 to see the character development of Geralt and Ciri, and the events of the game aren't driven by character's motivations and interactions, but by crisis and world building.

This doesn't make the story WORSE, by any means. It's just a different kind. TLoU wasn't some miracle game with the best story ever written. It just told a type of story that video games have never before executed well, mainly because the medium is so young that a decade ago we barely had the technology for facial expressions.
>>
>>320960832
ocarina of time , super mario 64, golden eye , a link to the past, supermetroid,
>>
File: 1446642968565.png (84 KB, 242x328) Image search: [Google]
1446642968565.png
84 KB, 242x328
>>320963658
tl;dr
>>
>>320963658
I thought Uncharted was the first to do this
>>
>>320962950
I mean, Arkham was not the first game to have its combat system.

But it was arguably the one that got the ball rolling and made every other developer feel like they needed to adopt that kind of combat system in their games. That and Assassin's Creed I guess.
>>
>>320963616
Demon's Souls had that 3 years before Journey.
>>
>>320963658
Just for reference, since the points you bring are rather well articulated:
You might want to use narrative instead of story. Story is generally understood as plot + narrative, and even more often just as a synonym for plot.If you're addressing the writing, you'll probably want to talk about narrative (the way in which the plot is presented to the player) rather than story or plot (the series of causes and consequences that conform the story)
>>
>>320963954
>come to a website to discuss video games
>open a thread about discussing video games
>unwilling to read any post longer than three sentences

I just don't understand
>>
>>320963658
>the story of Bastion was basically nonexistent. It wasn't a focus of the game at all
yeah maybe the focus of a game should be gameplay but I might be wrong
>>
last one i remember was gta 3

either that or ocarina of time

probably a little of both
>>
Skyrim, as it popularized the open world genre to normies.
>>
>>320961761
Then what were some fast slashers with combos before it?
>>
>>320964484
A game can focus on any number of things.
>>
THPS invented a genre
>>
File: Shadow of the Colossus.jpg (219 KB, 1636x1157) Image search: [Google]
Shadow of the Colossus.jpg
219 KB, 1636x1157
>>
>>320960832
>assfaggots don't count

Like hell they don't. They're the highest skill capped games out of any other and also improved upon traditional RTS
>>
>>320960832

I remember seeing trailer for this game for the first time on one of those shitty pc demo cd's . Considering this came out in the time of boring mister freeman was speechless
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>320965532
>>
>>320960832
survival games (dayz clones)
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.