[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/, I want to buy a new keyboard because the one I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9
File: ducky channel zero.jpg (121 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
ducky channel zero.jpg
121 KB, 1600x1600
Hey /v/, I want to buy a new keyboard because the one I'm currently using is a broken piece of shit.

Any recommendation as far as mechanical keyboards go ?

Pic related was fairly cheap and seems nice, with either red or brown switches.

Anyway, keyboard/gear thread I guess.
>>
I use a noppoo choc mini 84
They're really good for the price
>>
>>320953305
looks good but I need a num pad, for various reasons.
>>
I like anything with MX browns, then add some beefy o-rings

Nice tactile bump, quiet, and with the o-rings, smaller key travel and near-instant reset

Then again, I hate backlighting and use a 60% model, so feel free to disregard my opinion.
>>
>>320953036
>Mechanical keyboards
>Falling for the finger fedora meme
>>
>>320954127
you obviously never tried to do even the slightest bit of typing with a mechanical keyboard.
>>
>>320954127
i broke my mechanical keyboard a few days ago and i bought a shitty regular one to replace it

i want to die. its like typing on sponges
>>
Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 with brown switches is perfection
>>
>>320954375
I had an older Das with browns. Fucking loved it.

Only complaint were the laser keys aren't "the best" and the strain relief at the top is kinda shit. Mostly non-issues, and I don't like the large profile anymore, but otherwise it was built like a brick shit-house.
>>
>>320954375
looks dope but too expensive.
>>
>>320954375
>red leds
>>
>>320955281
There are no red LEDs on that keyboard.
>>
>>320955343
What's that red thing I see on the volume scroll wheel?
>>
>>320955547
A red metal ring
>>
>Mechanical keyboard
What is this meme and why do people spend ridiculous amounts of money on this shit? A keyboard is a god damn keyboard.
>>
I use the Corsair K70 RGB, awesome keyboard, love the clackiness, well built. Going strong for about 2 years now.

Also the K70 non-RGB is fine but you have RED Leds, which you can disable.
>>
File: IMAG0250.jpg (247 KB, 1200x679) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0250.jpg
247 KB, 1200x679
i have this one and love it. super sturdy, has some weight to it, good switches, detachable cable, etc

i dont remember how much i paid for it but it was on the cheaper end
>>
>>320955735
If you're spending 8+ hours a day typing on a keyboard, isn't it worth $100 to improve that experience, even if by only a small amount? Mechanical keyboards are to typing what fountain pens are to handwriting.
>>
>>320955863
Are those things strawberries?
>>
try /mkg/ on /g/, there are tons of guides.
>>
File: pepepe.jpg (7 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
pepepe.jpg
7 KB, 250x241
>>320955941
>Mechanical keyboards are to typing what fountain pens are to handwriting
Fountain pens are fucking retarded and obsolete. Literally only the plebbiest of hipster faggots would even use one.

Seriously what the hell does a "mechanical keyboard" offer that a regular one doesn't? I don't see the appeal at all. Is this b8? Is it some kind of ebin maymay I don't know about yet?
>>
>>320955735
Have you ever actually used one?
>>
I got a Logitech G710 a couple days ago for $60. It has blue switches for that clickity clack feel and dedicated media buttons. It's got a scroll wheel for volume too.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
All day, every day.
>>
>>320956038

strawberries and grapes, the strawberries were pretty shitty. i think i need to let them ripen up a bit more.

>>320956102

they offer a significantly better feel, are generally more durable, easier to clean, you can switch the keycaps if you want, don't get squishy feeling over time and you can type faster on them

it's like comparing a Corolla to a M3, theyre both cars and go from point A to point B but one is superior to the other

>$100 for something i use every single day is cheap as fuck
>>
>>320956132
No, why would I? It's a keyboard.

Unless you can tell me that you don't have to press down on the buttons AT ALL then I don't see any purpose for them.
>>
>>320956102
Normal Keyboard
>Keys are low to the board itself, membrane so it doesn't activate until the key hits and comes back up, delayed.
>Fucking awful to clean
>Any damage to the board = it's fucking donezo

>Mechanical
>Keys are mechanical, meaning it activates as soon as you hit the button. Good for anyone with a WPM over 60-70 (Not a fucking pleib "Watch my fingers while I type")
>Can be dishwashed/cleaned
>Durable as shit, lasts at least 5 years.
>Different key types = different actions.

I understand it's probably a bait post but I mean, just in case you are actually that retarded.
>>
>>320956407

if you're content with using bottom of the barrel peripherals then more power to you, but that doesnt mean that everything you cant afford is a meme
>>
>>320956407
>No, why would I? It's a keyboard.

So, you were just shitposting talking about something you know fuck all? nice.
>>
>>320956407
LMAO could you be any poorer? A fucking Lada gets you from point a to b too (usually), so why buy a Mercedes.
>>
I have a Corsair K70 with blue switches, but I wouldn't really recommend it. It feels nice and types well when it's actually working, but the software and drivers is pretty ass.
>>
>>320956581
>Can't afford
And here we come to the root of the problem. You think spending more money = You're better than me. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

As a matter of fact, I could get a mechanical keyboard easily if I wanted. They aren't that expensive. But they're fucking retarded and pointless.

What, you're too weak to press down on a button? You can't type quickly without a mechanical keyboard? I just don't get it. It makes no sense to me.
>>
>>320953036
Don't buy red switches, got delivered to me by mistake instead of browns and they're really fucking annoying to type on, way too light. It's okay for games I suppose.
>>
>>320956721
>LMAO could you be any poorer?
Do you have a job? do your parents paid for everything you've got?

I thought so, talk shit get hit.

Also
>Mercedes

So you are a faggot too.
>>
>>320956745
Shit. I was gonna get one after christmas, the RGB. I heard the drivers were improved, and I was gonna go for brown switches. If it's still shitty, I might just save my money and find something else.
>>
>>320956760

they are objectively superior

i dont see how anyone who used one could come to any other conclusion. if you havent used one then your opinion means jack shi senpai. go to any professional who spends all day typing shit for whatever reason and see what their tool of choice is. it's not going to be a squishy ass cheap membrane keyboard.
>>
>>320956907
LMAO, m8. It sounds like you have mental issues.
>>
>>320956907
you're the one who seems underage anon, having contrarian opinions that make no sense and all
>>
Mechanical keyboard

if its the loud switches then you are a cunt
>>
>>320956964
For what it's worth, recently I haven't been having issues. But my ~year of owning one, I've had to fucking uninstall all drivers like 4 times because it will randomly decide to press lot of random keys very quickly for no apparent reason. It must be some quirk in the programmable nature of the keyboard, but I never even fucked with the settings ever. Annoyed the fuck out of my, and Corsair is very stingy about giving out replacements for software-related issues.
>>
>>320956983
actually I find that low profile keyboards are way comfier for programming than the meme ones
>>
>>320957024
>>320957040

Nice strawman and nice script for multiple posting, queerlord.
>>
The CM Storm QuickFire XT on amazon is pretty nice. I would recommend getting the full size keyboard though.
>>
>>320957281
you are legitimately mentally unstable, seek help
>>
>>320957281
inb4 >le just pretending xD
>>
>>320956760
>But they're fucking retarded and pointless.
Depends. I use my computer a lot, and the general feedback from using a mechanical keyboard is more pleasant for me. It's an "ignorance is bliss" situation. I didn't see the point in them until I got one.
>What, you're too weak to press down on a button
This doesn't make any sense, as some switches require a little more force for the inputs.
>You can't type quickly without a mechanical keyboard?
Starting to think this is bait.
>>
>>320957415
Nigga, you are the one who is paranoid as fuck, I bet you are gay.

>>320957417
>>
>>320956795
Yeah I want Browns.
>>
>>320957196
I've been holding off getting a new keyboard for about 5 years now, so if there's issues with them, I can hold off for longer. I'll look in to seeing if it's a fairly common problem.
>>
Anyone know any good brown switch keyboards with orange backlighting?

Yes I'm basically a huge fag

I guess purple could also work
>>
>>320956795

as a counterpoint, i love typing on reds specifically because of how light they are
>>
>>320955618
Worse, Means you can't mod it out.
>>
>>320958102
>modding your hardware

How redneck can you be?
>>
>>320958328
Bet you own current gen consoles
>>
>>320958457
Nice way of projecting yourself, memelord.
>>
File: MCB43113_STRIKE_TE_MB_001_lg.jpg (184 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
MCB43113_STRIKE_TE_MB_001_lg.jpg
184 KB, 1500x1500
if you are still here, get the madcatz strike TE
brown switches but no name ones made in china wich lowers the price a lot.
I can't feel a difference at all and havent had a problem for half a year.
people say the keys might have a shorter lifespan but i can't confirm or deny this
>>
>>320956407
Then you're a fucking idiot and you're talking about something you've never used. Damn nigga that's some real /v/ shit right there.
>>
Don't 404 on me!!!
>>
>>320958972
Jesus christ, so fucking wide.
>>
>>320959515
4you
>>
>>320959515
>having a small table
>>
>>320954237

The difference for games is very small. I regret buying mine.

And reds suck for typing, yet many people favor them for games.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 1024x683
>>320954375
>>
>>320959620
Nah, it's called ergonomics.
>>
>>320954375
When people keep saying it's stupid expensive I was expecting $1,000+ or something like the LED on every key keyboard.

$170 is NOT that bad, a typical 'gaming' keyboard that's mostly garbage (logitech G-Series, Razer, etc) is going to cost you $80+, you can see it as doubling the price but also see it as you paying $100 more for something that will last you 5+ years most likely.

I've had my G15 for 6~ years now and it's still going strong, that Das keyboard looks WAY better built (and is mechanical so that alone would usually raise the price range to $100~ for a shit one like Madcatz or something).

>>320954237
Not him but I've tried and the difference wasn't night and day for me but a bti noticable, there are certain switches I didn't like at all but I didn't bother to remember them, I think it was cherry though.
130 WPM
>>
File: Pro-Sampler-1200.jpg (242 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Pro-Sampler-1200.jpg
242 KB, 1200x1200
>>320954237
Not him, but I ordered one of those Cherry switch testers (8 different switches) and I didn't like any of them. Red & Black have no feedback, awful. I would like Blue, but it's unbearably loud, Green is same + too hard to press. Brown and Clear feel like a shitty, mushy, broken membrane switches. Maybe Gray would be okay, but have to press way too hard. White is probably what I would get, if I had to, but activation point is too high and you won't find a keyboard with them.

I'd like to try out topre, but don't feel like throwing 200 EUR away.
>>
File: 1446760092968.webm (242 KB, 394x312) Image search: [Google]
1446760092968.webm
242 KB, 394x312
>>320954375
>browns
>>
>>320961924
just get reds you dumb faggot

jesus christ
>>
>>320960860
>last you 5+ years
Stopped reading there. I've been using my same PS/2 keyboard since about 2001. I've never had problems with it, beyond needing to clean it every so often.
>>
>>320961924
I don't think a sampler is a really good way to try the switches out. In order to get a good feel for them, you actually have to type on them. I've got browns at it's spectacular for typing
>>
>>320962305

i can't think of any reason that any semi-decent mechanical wouldnt last 20+ years

the only thing that can really wear out would be the keycaps and they are easily replaceable
>>
Just avoid Razer and similar brands. Shitty build quality.
>>
>>320962305
Definitely the case, 5 was an extreme lowball for mechanical, which should last much longer.

Personally I clean my G15 once or twice a year and haven't had any problems at all.

Mice and headsets on the other hand don't tend to last anywhere near as long.

Mainly I say 5+ because at that point
>>
>>320962835
spotted the poor.
>>
>>320963786
coming from someone who has used razer products in the past, they are shit. the price point is completely unwarranted and you can almost always get something far superior for the same or less money.

at least on newer razer products, the original deathadder was and still is the tightest shit
>>
>>320963786

They're kind of right, Razer has bad QC

If you get a good one, you're good, but there's a good chance you wont
>>
>>320964039
>>320964103

i feel has some good products (mainly mice/mousepads) but 95% of their catalog is garbage and their marketing is pretty lame
>>
>>320963786
Razer doesn't even use cherry switched anymore. And their green/orange switches are made by Kaihl.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.