[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one do you prefer? Is it missing anything?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: 1450676235354.png (119 KB, 2000x1250) Image search: [Google]
1450676235354.png
119 KB, 2000x1250
Which one do you prefer?

Is it missing anything?
>>
>>320943504
Normal and no grinding
>>
>>320943504
no level, but with level

you get stronger, but enemies get even stronger. So you have to become a better player the further you go
>>
Normal or no level
>>
>>320943504
what game does story dependant?
Nice chart btw

>>320943754
that's technically artificial difficulty, or at least that's what the souls series does
>>
>>320943504
I prefer no-level, but you can learn new attacks and customize your character

kinda like dmc and bayonetta and so on
>>
It's missing area-based level scaling, where enemies generally become stronger the farther you progress, but they're not directly tied to your level. So the challenge generally stays the same if you progress normally, but you don't actually get punished for stopping to level up a little.

I.e. 99% of linear RPGs, and even quite a few open ones.
>>
>>320944172
thanks I'll add this in
>>
>>320944087
In souls enemies stats and behavior (sometimes) only change after every ng.
only bosses seem to have a minimum damage reduction applied to them aka no matter how much your armor is you can only reduce this much.
>>
no level

is this even a question?
>>
I like normal most of the time
>>
>>320943504
"Artificial Difficulty" if it's a game with good mechanics and enjoyable combat that I can get good at.
Otherwise normal.
>>
>>320943504
>"artificial difficulty"

you mean just "difficult"
in no way is making all monster strong "artificial"
>>
Normal and No Level are the best.
No grinding is shit because it's for causals
>>
File: wow.png (437 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
437 KB, 1280x720
>>320943504
>>
>>320943504
Mostly normal and level scaling. Otherwise no level, but that would seriously depend on the type of gameplay.
>>
The latest Bethdesda games use semi-level scaling, where an enemyyclass partly levels with you but eventually hits a cap. Like, Bandits start out as regulars and go to Veteran raider banits or something, but don't become Uber bandit deathlord +5 when you hit level 100
>>
No level for me
>>
I'm fine with any of these except for pay-to-win, modern games and sometimes level scaling.
>>
File: untitled.png (3 KB, 308x364) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
3 KB, 308x364
>>320943504
>>
>>320943504
Do any games do story dependent?
>>
>>320946180
A lot of games combine story dependent with one of the other options.
>>
>>320944172
this also includes 99% of dungeon crawlers but you already got that probably
>>
>>320946048
this with hard enemies raising exponentially after the skill/easy equilibrium

or artificial difficulty
>>
>>320943504

Normal
>>
>>320944615

The term "artificial difficulty" is fucking retarded because all difficulty is artificial.
>>
>>320946285
do side quests count as "story"?
>>
>No level
>No RPG element

please kill yourself, RPG doesn't mean levelling up
>>
>>320947115
I guess?
>>
File: damn.png (27 KB, 756x706) Image search: [Google]
damn.png
27 KB, 756x706
There, I did it.
Somebody had to, and this time it was me.
>>
>>320947172
I'm sorry, I don't see it.

Maybe I'm cured.
>>
>>320946180
The Last of Us comes to mind.
>>
File: strenght.jpg (53 KB, 383x383) Image search: [Google]
strenght.jpg
53 KB, 383x383
>>320943504

something like this
>>
>>320947278
Maybe I'm just bad. It's better this way.
>>
>>320943504
Normal > No Level > No Grinding > * > Level Scaling
Absolutely hate that shit
>>
I like level scaling but backward. Monsters and zone are designed for a certain level or gear requirement but if you go back to a previous zone you either scale down or the monsters scales up to you. That way you can never truly be safe or decide to grind for ever to brute force an area.
I've never seen properly implemented though.
>>
Scaling/Artificial difficulty masterrace
>>
>>320943504
What's the point of "Level scaling" if they're always equally as difficult relavtive to the player? Why have levelling at all if it's never going to make you better than your enemy?

Normal and No Level are the only ones that make sense
>>
No level is the best but it's the hardest to do well, since it requires good levels and enemy AI to make interesting.
>>
>>320943504
>Story dependant
The difficulty should be based on how difficult the task would be in real world. Shit like town guards in a final area who could one shot earlier bosses is stupid. If the task would be impossible at whatever level the player is at, then it makes no sense for him to clear it in the first place. To fix that either don't try to turn your MC into a mary-sue or include circumstances that allow the player/MC to beat it with some additional gameplay skills.
>>
Level scaling does to challenge what health regeneration does to level design. An uninspired repetitive clickfest.
>>
>>320943504

"Normal" as a chart doesn't feel accurate to me.

Yes, monster levels are static but they also tend to become stronger along a pre-determined curve (much like the 'no grinding' chart - monsters are scaling with game progress, but not your level). Unless you're grinding/minmaxing, relative strength to you, the player, doesn't fluctuate that much.
>>
>>320948059
too bad i'm playing in a FANTASY SCIENCE FICTION ALTERNATE TIMELINE DIMENSION setting.
>>
>>320947470
>What's the point of "Level scaling" if they're always equally as difficult relavtive to the player? Why have levelling at all if it's never going to make you better than your enemy?
Flashy animations on Super Mega Fire Twenty EXTREME that does the same proportional damage as the less flashy Fire used to do.
>>
>>320948324
I probably should have put "real world" in quotation marks. I mean if you make superduper destroyer of worlds a boss and you beat him at level 10, don't later introduce fluffybunnies that would one shot the level 10 boss as a random encounter at level 50.
>>
>>320943504
What gaems did last one?
>>
>>320943504
No leveling (or story dependent leveling, depending on what suits the game), amount of challenge depends on the area/storyline progression
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.