[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Cell didn't achieve anything except making PS3 programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: cell.jpg (122 KB, 730x500) Image search: [Google]
cell.jpg
122 KB, 730x500
>Cell didn't achieve anything except making PS3 programming a pain in the asshole
>no use in servers
>no use in other applications except academic experiments
>billions of dollars down the drain

What went wrong?
>>
>>320928696
We didn't get Perfect Cell
>>
>g-guys let's invest a few hundred million into a product that is supposed to compete with products from multinational companies that invest billions into R&D of their processors and mass manufacture them at a scale far beyond ours to drive cost down to a level where the cost/performance ratio is far superior to ours
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
>>320928696
Time to triangle was too high. Too much time and budget was wasted on just getting the graphics to display properly.
>>
>>320929008
I thought this was the time period it took to get a 3D engine properly running on the hardware. I refuse to believe it took up to 2 months to draw a single triangle on a PS1.
>>
>>320928696
>>Cell didn't achieve anything except making PS3 programming a pain in the asshole

Well it did also give the ps3 the world record for being the longest without being hacked. Even tho they did eventually hacked it...
>>
>>320929281
Which only happened because of a stolen service dongle.
>>
>>320929431
>dongle
faggot
>>
>>320928696
Can someone post the youtube comment explaining how the cell is infinitely powerful?
>>
>>320929071
Time to triangle in this slide meant how long it took to code and display what the console were capable of, not just one triangle
>>
This CPU is basically a GPU, except badly done.
>>
>>320929281
It didn't get hacked because they offered Linux support at launch. As soon as they dropped Linux support, it got hacked. If you subtract the time that Playstation offered support for Linux to it's time it got hacked, it's roughly the same amount of time it took for the X360 to get hacked.

Actual hackers don't do the hard yards when it comes to cracking a console, it's the sweaty neckbeards who want to run Gentoo off a console for the sexual thrill. Hacking and piracy is a byproduct.
>>
they thought devs would put in effort
>>
I've been playing Yakuza 3 and aside from some poor textures, the game looks great for a 2009 game.

If devs knew their way around the system, some decent graphics could be had with the ps3.
>>
Kutaragi went insane and went out of his way to create a platform that would "challenge" developers
>>
>>320928696
It actually had competition
>>
>>320930721
>As soon as they dropped Linux support, it got hacked.

Nope. It took like 2 years after they dropped linux support.
>>
>>320931641
>If devs knew their way around the system, some decent graphics could be had with the ps3.

This. Fucking naughtydog knows their way around it and did wonders with Uncharted games.
>>
File: power of the cell -trademark-.png (23 KB, 632x227) Image search: [Google]
power of the cell -trademark-.png
23 KB, 632x227
I don't really mind the Cell though I'm super fucking butthurt Sony is skipping backwards compatibility because of it.

No, fuck your remasters and re-releases you greedy cunts.
>>
>>320928696
They wanted the development environment to be different enough to Xbox that devs caved and went exclusive to get the most out of the platform.

Instead they just made shit ports and released on both.
>>
>>320933884
>I'm super fucking butthurt Sony is skipping backwards compatibility because of it.
>No, fuck your remasters and re-releases you greedy cunts.

Why did you sell your ps3?
>>
>>320928696
It had a shitload of bottlenecks in places that make it super hard to develop for.

The new Xeon Phi systems that intel is making is like a well realized version of cell.
>>
>>320933756
The Naughty Dog games look alright but let's not kid ourselves into thinking they're so much better than some of the 360 exclusives.
>>
Why do people worry so much about the emulation of the Cell CPUs?

It's a PP, something we've been successfully emulating for a long time with a few SIMD processors which is the same thing your GPU has a metric ton of.

Am I wrong in assuming the entire difference is in catching all the calls to those SIMD cores and recompiling them as calls to the GPU?
>>
>>320938352
I'd argue that emulating the GPU is a much bigger problem.

An Nvidia or AMD GPU has yet to be emulated. (and no, the GPU on the Gamecube/Wii wasn't ATi or AMD, it was ArtX)
>>
>>320933680
No actually the reason they locked it is that Linux users managed to break out of the vm prison that the OS was stuck in and gained access to the GPU which they had been restricted from. That caused Sony to attempt to lock Linux users out but it was unlocked almost immediately. It just took a few more years for the hack to become useful for pirates.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.