[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all agree that this game was way ahead of its time? Racing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9
File: Gran_Turismo_4[1].jpg (33 KB, 317x450) Image search: [Google]
Gran_Turismo_4[1].jpg
33 KB, 317x450
Can we all agree that this game was way ahead of its time?

Racing thread.
>>
>>320924554
how is GT so popular? i love the series to bits, but it is baffling how many copies it sells
>>
File: 1429104483822.jpg (31 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
1429104483822.jpg
31 KB, 456x320
>doing the licenses
>>
File: 1327688406920.jpg (93 KB, 555x545) Image search: [Google]
1327688406920.jpg
93 KB, 555x545
>>320925264
A Lot of content, feasible progression, a good mix between arcade and sim and it set the standard for the genre.

>>320925410
>Watch the demo videos for the perfect timing and line
>Still hard as fuck
>Mfw trying to do this shit with a wheel
>>
I played this game to death god this game was gud
>>
>>320924554
I remember in GT3 getting that red uphill rally car and putting some crazy engine in it and hitting every wall because I was so fast it didn't matter.
>>
I probably put several hundred hours into this, maybe over a thousand, it came at the perfect time when I could play games as much as I wanted (around 15 y/o).

I 100%'d it maybe three times, once with a controller and twice with the driving force gt wheel. Everything about it is so goddamn comfy, mountains of content and races (24 hr ones were great, I remember leaving it on b-spec overnight and having to unlap myself three times around the nurburgring because of my potato driver)

The annoying thing is now with all of the GT academy stuff coming around, I don't have the time to really dedicate myself to it. I only become eligible (full license) for anything beyond the online qualifiers next year, but I place top 100 in most events I bother to put time into. The worst thing is that I booted GT4 a few months ago and raced some of my old ghosts, and they absolutely wiped the floor with me.
>>
gonna bump because this god tier game isn't mentioned nearly enough on here

menu music so chill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LHqeiD-CRo
>>
>>320924554
The last good GT, that said whats up with Ford GT?
For what ever fucking reason, it had murderous snap oversteer, the effect was increasing with tyre grip, on racing medium it was impossible to release a throttle mid corner without doing 180 on the spot.
>>
badump
>>
>>320928928
yeah for a car that was on the cover I expected it to be less shitty

lift off oversteer is easier to modulate with pedals tho
>>
Yeah, the game was so ahead of its time, my PhatPS2 couldn't handle it because of the disc being filled to the brim with data that the laser couldn't read.

My tech-savy uncle pulled a few screws and made it work, only that the processor fried up a couple of days later.
>>
>>320928989
>yeah for a car that was on the cover I expected it to be less shitty
Exactly my thoughts bro, I mean you put this fucking car beautifully looking on cover, then you had it in intro with camera panning all over it like a tongue of the fat perv over his mother panties while orchestra is playing, it appears in fucking cutscenes and then it handles like shit and you cant ever race it.
Did no one fucking tested it or what.
>>
>>320929296
probably another case of PD favouring japanese cars desu
>>
I hate driving sims
>>
>>320924554

It was GT3 which was ahead of its time but GT4 was incredible too.
>>
>>320928298
Pike's Peak, nigguh. I used to fuck about with the spoilers and make it do wheelies on the oval test track.

Was GT6 any good? I played 5 a little but it never hooked me in the same way that 3+4 did.
>>
>>320931102
i'm a die hard fan, and I can say GT6 is probably one of the weaker entries. no endurance races, not that many races in general, shitty car selection. i love it because its probably still the best physics wise on consoles, but I can definitely see why people think it's soso
>>
I played the ps1 and ps3 ones quite a bit but never the ps2 ones. Love all the soundtracks though.

Hopefully gt7 makes my ps4 worth it.
>>
File: ePSXe 2014-12-03 20-48-51-60.png (655 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
ePSXe 2014-12-03 20-48-51-60.png
655 KB, 1280x1024
>>320931102
>Was GT6 any good?
Nope, I mean its bit better than GT5 but not enough to be a new game.
Its mechanic is stuck somewhere in the 90's.
Its really shame since Colin 2.0 or TOCA WTC did amazing job at giving you racing career at the time and even GT 4 had qualification, the only time you were starting from the very rear and chase the first car was during special missions.
In GT5 and 6 thats all you do, every damn time you start at the rear of the race and has to take first position in set number of laps.

GT6 has less visual fidelity than GT5 rain drops on windshield looks weaker, rain itself is very meh and often you cant even tell you are racing during rain since only few courses have nice water reflection and the rest just get bit darker asphalt, first driver did it better, literally.
>pic related, this game also has better rain that GT6
Grass looks weaker and cool smoke effect from GT5 is nowhere to be found (in GT5 smoke was blown over the road with wind and seemingly would had its own physics, in GT6 its just static smoke)
GT6 introduced some lame blur thing which doesnt make it look any better as well...
I am not even talking about ridiculous course maker for android devices only, great job to blow this feature as a game seller and then release it on tablets only, this also means that GT5 has at least some kind of course maker while GT6 none.
>>
>the real vacuum simulator
>>
>>320931778
Thats a thing as well, some car sound straight up electric, fucking corvette for example.
>>
How's Project Cars?
>>
is there a ps4 gt?
>>
>>320931997
who would buy it?
>>
>1080i 60fps
>highly detailed car models which were used in the next gen titles
>>
>>320931997
announced but not shown or dated.
All theyve said is that it is called GT sport and will include motorbikes and supports ps VR
>>
>>320924554
Should i get GT6?
>>
>high res option
>network play
>can hook up a compatible printer and print off your in-game photos, you sad sack of shit
>>
>>320928745
GT4 had the best opening theme

>that opening aorchestra
>>
>>320929296
>>320929420
Americans car are known for having shit handling.
There is a reason no one takes American """super cars""" seriously.
>>
>>320936048
>high res option
it's just really shittily upscaled from 480p and unless you have the worst TV in the universe you're better off not using it
>>
>>320936492
>Americans car are known for having shit handling.
Not Ford GT also, not really applicable here since snap oversteer I am talking about was too severe to be a feature, it was more of a bug if something.
I mean, the moment you let go of a throttle even during easy turn, your car would just spin 180 on the spot.
>>
>tfw getting the Grand Turismo 3 bundle for christmas one year with a driving wheels and pedals

my dad was such a top boy for that
played it endlessly, I was shit but I loved playing it
>>
>play GT5
>reach international supercar competitions
>tires always get super fucking hot even though I'm using the ones that get the least hot
>ask /v/ what the fuck is happening
>apparently it's impossible to make perfect curves on a dual shock so I always end up drifting a little bit with every turn I make
>drop the game cause I can't beat any races without a wheel

Into the trash it goes

Apparently gt6 fixes this but it completely killed the mood for me
>>
>>320936880
haha that's mental, sorry to hear that bro
>>
File: ePSXe 2015-09-05 15-04-53-67.png (731 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
ePSXe 2015-09-05 15-04-53-67.png
731 KB, 1280x1024
>>320936880
GT5 (and 6) have some shitty adaptive steering sensitivity, at first I thought its your usual speed sensitivity but the more I play the more I think its combination of a few, its decreases maximum wheel lock when you exceed set slip angle and/or speed.
Meaning:
When you race at high speed and want to take a mild turn, you turn a lot since steering lock is already reduced due to speed but, as you turn and brake slowly, your wheels will turn more into corner meaning you will have to adjust steering constantly.

Same shit when you accelerate out of corner, you have analog titled halfway and its perfect to negotiate this turn but, as you accelerate, your wheel lock start decreasing and counter-intuitive, the more your speed up out of corner, the more you have to turn your wheels inside.

I am not even mentioning overtaking or light turn, normally you know how much you need to turn for your car to negotiate a corner perfectly, too bad in GT5 and 6 this amount changes constantly so its trial and error.

Not to mention that this steering lock does not allow you to turn wheels more than set amount for particular speed/ slip angle which results in all cars feeling like on rails.
>>
>>320936880
>make racing sim for consoles
>Implement anal analog steering completelly disregarding that not everyone have place to mount a fucking wheel and pedals in the middle of the room.
>>
>>320925410

fucking nurburg ring, they gave you a super fast bentley and it was still hard
>>
>>320925264
People like fast cars
>>
Have they even announced one for PS4 yet?
>>
>>320940502
Yes, it still features PS2 cars
>>
gt1 is the best
>>
To be honest, the opening to GT 3 still blows my mind.

The graphics on the cars were pretty outstanding for their time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vZR7LNJqg8

>>320931931
It's not bad but for some reason it's still not Gran Turismo to me.
>>
in gt3 you can win any race with the cheapest dodge viper
>>
Is the anon who bought DiRT Rally around here? and if so rate?
>>
>>320942290
lel, shills are grasping at every occasion to start shilling their game.

>inb4 someone come and start telling how great DIRT Rally is and how it is the new RBR and what not.
>>
Not the right thread but I just got a PS4

Is drive club any fun?
>>
>>320925264
GT has the same demographic as Forza, albeit older. Its mainly car enthusiasts that love the game more then anything. Ever noticed that when you play online lobbies, its either sim racing, wangan runs, drift servers or drag races. most casual players would never find that entertaining. With that being said, they are kinda fed up with cars sounding like vacuum cleaners
>>
>>320924554
>1080i
>on the PS2
>games are still struggling to get to 900p on the PS4 and Xbone

It's still ahead of its time.
>>
>>320943702
Quite honestly, I heard vacuum cleaner sounding more alive than suzuki escudo in GT6.
I have no idea how can you butcher sound like this, even kek tier modders do it better, fuck I can fart and make it sound more like flat-plane crankshaft (cross-plane if with chunks) than any car in GT5 or 6.

Its ridiculous, every damn iteration of the game Kazunori goes on explaining how hardware limitation kept him from his vision and from making good sound and every damn time the next game in the series plays like good looking arcade from 90's, with good physics but everything else is so basic its ridiculous for game in 2015 to have this basic structure banking only on graphic and car number blown out by doubles and PS2 models and nothing more.
>>
>>320943702
Worst thing is that they have competition, it's not like there aren't other games that put work into recording the sound of the cars, yet GT doesn't give a damn.

It makes me not want to play the game, hope they fix it.
>>
>>320943702
why would a car enthusiast play GT though. if you are a real enthusiast you would play a real sim not a simcade game.
>>
>>320943048
Do you like driving sims?
>>
>>320945863
The same reason why most fighting game enthusiasts play SF and not VF, because one takes a lot more dedication than the other.
>>
>>320943048
If you can get a decent price for the whole package -game + season pass- I think it's very worth it nowadays.
>>
>>320945993
Accessability doesn't mean there is less dedication required, or is it?
>>
>>320945993
yeah I guess that is a fair point. afterall a lot of those people just want to go fast and not actually learn how to handle the car. I mean I like GT and Forza because they have lots of cars and are easy to pick up.
>>
File: image.jpg (262 KB, 728x1027) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
262 KB, 728x1027
>>320924554
>playing this game yesterday
>trying to do some hektik skidz on my 86 Levin w/ turbi (so much easier in GT3)
>trying to get the car to drift without e-brake and failing
>actually manage to do it once
>mfw
>>
>>320943048
Best Cockpit in a console driving game, ever. You'll have fun, once you get faster cars and try to compete your times with others in the whole world.

Getting serious Initial D Feelings driving a Sprint while Japan Nighttime.
>>
>>320946295
not that anon, but what do you mean by that ? ofc if the game is harder, the skill ceiling is higher which means if you want to keep up with experienced players it is gonna take longer and therefore more dedication so to speak.
>>
>>320946295
>or is it?
No, not at all, but I cannot really think of any full-on simulator that is noobfriendly; Grid comes to mind but only if you set it to "easy mode", and in that case you're really just playing an arcade game.

Besides, GT has a rather high skill ceiling and tons of cars which makes people who've played it for years quite adept at it.
>>
>>320945993
not only that, but why would they waste extra money on a pc when a console does it vastly cheaper. they would rather spend that extra money on their cars. I've seen niggas eat cup noodles for months just to afford new parts.
>>
>>320945585
do you understand what 1080i is
its not the same as 1080p
>>
>>320946667
That's why they are enthusiasts, they put almost everything into what they love doing.

If I had the income to do it, I'd have a vastly superior PC to the one I have to experience the games I like the best I could.
>>
>>320946667
well I don't know about that I doubt the specs needed for PC racing sims are that high. 600$ should build you something that can run racing sims comfortably as far as I can tell.
>>
>>320946487
Really bad choice for drifting anon.
GT4 have something with lateral grip so when you put car sideways its just sliding instead of drifting.
You can play with TCS and what not settings but its still not drift.

You wanna drift in console get Enthusia or WRC Rally Evolved (its fucking awesome) or GT5 or 6 (even though they are shit)

>>320946350
>people just want to go fast and not actually learn how to handle the car.
Dont really see it as valid argument, often I find arcade racers are harder just because car behaves in totally bizarre and unrealistic manner, even if you never driven a car you have good idea on how it should behave and good sim is actually easier than some middle tier arcade.

The thing that causes problem for people is to handle your car at top speed, in this case is irrelevant whether you are driving sim or arcade, you are competing against other people and lot of them are fucking monsters that can pull unbelievable shit.
If you are shit in sim, chances are you will be shit in arcade.

>>320946846
>1080i is interlaced
>1080p is progressive

Progressive display full picture at once and interlaced display half of scanlines in this cycle and half of scanlines in the other, never the full picture (in big simplification), LED monitors for example are all p.
>>
So how would you guys rate the physics of Forza ? More realistic than GT or Project Cars ?
>>
>>320947321
Never played forza but from what I seen physics is not even close to realism of GT5 or 6.
That said the game looks like infinitely more fun and more polished package in general than borefest GT has become.
>>
>>320947321
>
which forza are you talking about
>>
File: gran-turismo-2.jpg (267 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
gran-turismo-2.jpg
267 KB, 640x360
Ya'll youngens and yer traction controls weren't even born when I was already racing, dangit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLyL-NBjVNE
>>
>>320947557
The new ones so 5 and 6.
>>
File: image.jpg (223 KB, 628x444) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
223 KB, 628x444
>>320947167
Yeah, I'm aware of how bad GT4 is for drift. The thing is that I have every license in GT3, and I've been playing that game for years. It's very easy to go drifting like crazy with the driving aids off in that game too. It doesn't help that I play with a controller either, not a wheel.

Sadly, I don't have a PS Triple or Quadruple, only a Double. Once I get enough dosh, I plan to invest in a good PC with a wheel, pedals, and H-shifter.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. I'll look into them if I get a new console soon.
>>
>>320948115
You definetelly should check Enthusia since its the best sim on PS2 and beat some on PS3 as well.
It went down quietly which is shame, arguably its better than GT4 as a game and definetelly beats it as a sim.
>>
File: denton yo.png (748 KB, 1265x697) Image search: [Google]
denton yo.png
748 KB, 1265x697
>>320925264

Until recently it was the only game purporting to be a driving simulator on the Playstation and it has a huge amount of brand loyalty due to nostalgia for the early titles in the series.

They'll continue to do well due to the sheer number of cars and tracks such games cram in but there are far more realistic games coming to console now such as Project Cars and soon Assetto Corsa both of which probably represent the most realistic physics and tyre models ever seen on consoles.
>>
Was there ever a ricer sim made after juiced and srs?
>>
Is Gran Turismo Sport enough to hold a nigga over until GT7? I really hope it can, I haven't played a GT game since 4 and I want to get back into the franchise now.
>>
>>320951459

I was under the impression that Gran Turismo Sport was GT7. Did I miss something?
>>
>>320924554

Ahead of its time how exactly?
>>
>>320952989
Lots of really well made courses
lots of really well made cars
lots of tuning options
physics that was the second best thing back in the days
Fucking Photo mode.
This game set standards.
>>
>>320953310
GT5 did all those things better. Photo mode had 4K rendering, and while not having GT6's suspension mechanics, everything else was great.
>>
>>320954168
>Asks how it was ahead of its time
>Gets explanation
>Still mentions that later game in series did same things better.

The point was, GT4 did those things back then, that is why it was ahead of its time.
Because it did those things 10 years ago and not now.
>>
>>320935532
It was upscaled 480p
>>
>>320952007
consider it GT 7 Prologue
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.