[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Turok 3 is the comfiest, least frustrating game in the Turok
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: turok3shadowofoblivion-01.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
turok3shadowofoblivion-01.jpg
99 KB, 1024x768
Turok 3 is the comfiest, least frustrating game in the Turok series. A remaster that fixed its bugs and missing content and also made the pistol less retarded would be absolutely dope.

Sad reminder that you shouldn't emulate any of the N64 Turok games because they have problems ranging from freezes to missing dynamic lighting.
>>
>>320918171
>literal junkyards and New York City
>comfy
Also it's linear as fuck and impossible to get lost. There was too much focus on story, the multiplayer was worse than Rage Wars, and all the weapons were cheap Chinese knockoffs of Turok 2's. Only the Vampire Gun was interesting but was horrible implemented and basically useless.

Being able to choose a character and each one having different routes through levels and slightly different arsenal was cool, though. Oh, and 3 ruined Adon.
>>
>>320918707
>Also it's linear as fuck and impossible to get lost.
That's not a bad thing.

>literal junkyards and New York City
The junkyard is on the edges of the Lost Land. It's where stuff gathers. That's why you find crashed airplanes and stuff. Those represent flights that have gone missing and such.

>There was too much focus on story
There's nothing wrong with having a story focus.

>the multiplayer was worse than Rage Wars
The MP is pure shit. The game was supposed to be cooperative, so I think the MP was a last minute addition. It wasn't even working a few months before release.

>and all the weapons were cheap Chinese knockoffs of Turok 2's.
The silenced pistol and fire shotgun were awesome.

>Only the Vampire Gun was interesting but was horrible implemented and basically useless.

It's a gimmick gun, not unlike the Cerebral Bore. Let's not pretend the Cerebral Bore was actually useful in combat.

>Oh, and 3 ruined Adon.
Turok 3 Adon is best Adon.
>>
>>320918707
Nothing is worse than Rage Wars.
>>
>>320918707
I liked the singularity like gun in 3 that stretched out everything. That was some cool unique shit I'd never seen before in a game.
>>
>>320919163
>Rage Wars
>bad
>>
File: TUROK_WHY.jpg (272 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
TUROK_WHY.jpg
272 KB, 1280x960
>>320919209
>I liked the singularity like gun in 3 that stretched out everything. That was some cool unique shit I'd never seen before in a game.
PSG. That sort of effect is actually kinda tricky to do with modern game engines. Like how the Vigilante 8 remake on XBLA no longer featured the environment rippling when you used certain attacks.

>>320919163
>Nothing is worse than Rage Wars.
Rage Wars is a very good MP game. Turok 3's MP is so bizarrely awful compared to Rage Wars. The weapon models are ASTOUNDINGLY bad.
>>
>>320918171
Not sure how I feel about Turok 3 trying to be like Half-Life instead of its own thing, but the game had so much potential.

Shame they rushed it out the door before finishing it.
>>
File: Turok 2 Adon.png (122 KB, 250x595) Image search: [Google]
Turok 2 Adon.png
122 KB, 250x595
>>320919083
There's opinions and then there's bias.

>That's not a bad thing.
Linearity isn't inherently bad but Turok 3 removed a core part of the Turok formula, which was exploration.

>There's nothing wrong with having a story focus
It is when the game can't hold itself up on gameplay alone.

>The MP is pure shit
3's MP was decent, better than 2's at least.

>The silenced pistol and fire shotgun were awesome
Literally just a quiet pistol and explosive shotgun shells, also featured in Turok 1 and 2.

>It's a gimmick gun, not unlike the Cerebral Bore. Let's not pretend the Cerebral Bore was actually useful in combat
Gimmick yes but the Cerebral Bore actually kills shit. In one hit, I may add.

>Turok 3 Adon is best Adon
This alone invalidates anything you say. Not only does she look worse but they also changed her perfect voice.
>>
File: Emaciator_Ragewars.jpg (31 KB, 498x321) Image search: [Google]
Emaciator_Ragewars.jpg
31 KB, 498x321
>>320919682
>Gimmick yes but the Cerebral Bore actually kills shit. In one hit, I may add.
Now that I think of it, the Vampire Gun is just a shitty melee version of the Emaciator from Rage Wars.
>>
>>320919527
>Shame they rushed it out the door before finishing it.
Every Turok game was badly rushed. Turok 2's "play coop using the cheat menu" bug in the original US version and the fact lack of quicksave in the N64 version was the result of the developers madly rushing to get the game done to meet an annual release schedule. Same with Rage Wars having a gamebreaking bug in the 1.0 US version. Turok 3 really deserved another 6 months or so, but that sort of delay would have made an N64 release even riskier. Since the game flopped anyway on N64, it arguably should have been delayed and reworked, for better or for worse.

>>320919682
>>That's not a bad thing.
>Linearity isn't inherently bad but Turok 3 removed a core part of the Turok formula, which was exploration.
Turok 3 still has some exploration. Hunting around for the pieces of the PSG is a thing, and the levels feature some backtracking and looping -- especially level 2. In fact, the very first level is a faux-loop. You start out looking across the street at the rift on the other side of the street. And then you go downstairs and go the really, really long way around to get there. It's a trick Half Life 2 is infamous for with its Citadel.

>There's nothing wrong with having a story focus
>It is when the game can't hold itself up on gameplay alone.
Turok 3 has buggy combat, but it has mostly nice feeling weapons and brisk combat encounters.

>The silenced pistol and fire shotgun were awesome
>Literally just a quiet pistol and explosive shotgun shells, also featured in Turok 1 and 2.
Except it sets things on fire. And that fire is dynamically lit. And the enemies run around screaming.

>>320919826
>Now that I think of it, the Vampire Gun is just a shitty melee version of the Emaciator from Rage Wars.
The Vampire Gun was Turok 2 cut content. They never really knew what to do with it. In the T3 betas, it sucked blood and then could fire projectiles.
>>
Turok 3 was also supposed to have an underwater spear gun, likely meant for the Xiphias boss fight. The gun is seen in the early trailers.

Also, and take this with a grain of salt, I think the Turok 3 betas had more MP levels. Something like 40 of them.
>>
>>320918171
Is this the one where some kid gets possessed at the beginning and then there's munching sounds later? That one was pretty scary
>>
>>320919527
>Not sure how I feel about Turok 3 trying to be like Half-Life instead of its own thing, but the game had so much potential.
Turok never had a clear identity. Turok 1 imitated Quake. Turok 2 imitated Goldeneye. Turok 3 imitated Half Life. Rage Wars imitated Quake III.
>>
>>320918171
The old man in the first levels is named Otis. This was mentioned by the devs in pre-release interviews. He's supposed to lead you through the tunnels with a flashlight. Nice little dynamic vertex lighting demonstration. Before release, they kept screwing around with the generator room layout, but that room off to the side was always where he was met, and he'd lead you through pitch-black tunnels. But when the final game was released, he was relocated to the end of the tunnels, and the tunnels were brightened to the point they look weird. This results in the following retarded exchange.

>CAN YOU SHOW ME THE WAY OUT OF HERE!?
>FOLLOW ME!
>Walks 2 steps to the right, climbs ladder, and gets eaten.

You're standing right next to the ladder when this exchange happens. They also partially broke the police barricade, by removing the scripted event where the police car pulls up and gets replaced with the "live" model that can shoot at you. The result is two police cars sitting in the same spot, visibly overlapping.
>>
>>320920891
Oh, and they made certain "blank" spaces like elevator doorways spray blood when you stab them. I think they must have fucked up the materials system somehow. And they also gutted the sound complexity, removing stuff like bullet casings splashing in water.

Also, most Turok 3 guns eject shell casings. Even the assult rifle. But many seem to be missing the necessary sprites, so they eject invisible shell casings that audibly clink on the floor.

They should have scrapped MP completely and focused on fixing crap like that. Also, they somehow made a lot of enemies more annoying and hitscannish between the late betas and the final game. Especially those acid spitting dogs. The beta versions seem more prone to hopping up and down and then attacking, instead of spitting undodgable shit at you like crazy.
>>
What's with the recent influx of Turok threads?
>>
>>320923114
>What's with the recent influx of Turok threads?
Turok 1 has been remastered. Turok 2 remaster is coming. Turok: Rage Wars and Turok 3 are possible candidates for remasters.

The Turok fans are coming out of the woodwork.
>>
>>320919682
THIS.

One of the stupidest thing was turning Adon from the blue-skinned sexy alien babe into a generic human woman.
>>
>>320925662
>blue
Nigga she's white as cum.
>>
>>320923545
> Turok: Rage Wars and Turok 3 are possible candidates for remasters.

I'll go with Rage Wars.

>>320925719
Light Azure.
>>
>>320925761
>Light Azure
Her skin is pure ivory white, you must be looking at her hair.
>>
>>320925826
> ivory white

That's ivory white? OK, you got me here.
>>
>tfw no Rage Wars HD remaster with multiplayer on Steam

;__;
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.