[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't think anybody actually likes complex fighting game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8
I don't think anybody actually likes complex fighting game inputs. I think you only think it's "supposed to be that way" because it's what you grew up with, like someone who refuses to believe a car can be made with anything but manual shift.

This is why Smash Bros. is selling and other fighting games aren't.
>>
No, Smash Bros. is selling because it's A. Not a fighting game B. not advertised as a fighting game and C. A crossover game with Nintendo characters and others.

Don't be retarded
inb4 "get baited lol"
>>
File: 1449625407554.jpg (22 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1449625407554.jpg
22 KB, 480x480
>>320908560
>>
>>320908769

Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game it's better.
>>
File: 1449452501346.png (474 KB, 680x435) Image search: [Google]
1449452501346.png
474 KB, 680x435
>>320908560
>Those are complex.
KoF was more complex than this. This is regular.
>>
>>320908884
Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game only 2 games were good fuck off faggot
>>
File: 1449186465446.png (103 KB, 231x205) Image search: [Google]
1449186465446.png
103 KB, 231x205
>>320908769

If Smash Bros had complicated inputs it wouldnt sell no matter what characters you put in it

Also

>put a SF character in the game
>give him inputs like in SF
>hes shit-tier
>>
>>320909132
>Ryu.
>Shit tier.
Maybe you just suck at it.
>>
>>320909132
If you think quarter circles are "complicated" then you are a mouthbreathing retard who shouldn't play video games.
>>
File: casual filter.gif (4 KB, 160x100) Image search: [Google]
casual filter.gif
4 KB, 160x100
>>320908560
>>
>>320909406
>Calls me a 'mouthbreathing retard' when he probably doesn't even know how to play competitive melee
>>
>>320908560
>This is why Smash Bros. is selling and other fighting games aren't.
No it's dumbfuck smash sells cause of its characters, when you take characters that very popular on their own and throw them all together in one game of course it'll sell like hotcakes. There's a reason why people call it Nintendo's biggest marketing tool.
>>
>>320910102
>he can't do quarter circles
ahahaha, go back to kindergarden
>>
>>320909816
Actually this input would get you a double fireball input. You need the stick to go back to neutral, then down and corner.
>>
>>320910213
>can't even wavedash
L O L

O

L

K E K

E

K
>>
>>320909257
Not that guy, but nearly every match with Ryu I've watched through Spectating has somebody terrible playing as him. I've learned to just not waste coins on any team with him on it.
>>
>>320909132
Ryu is top tier are you a moron?
>>
>>320910238
nigga, have you even play a single fighting game before?
>>
Then how else are you supposed to differentiate special attacks from normals based on input? Special attacks are supposed to be harder to pull off, which is why they take longer (requiring at least two consecutive inputs) and imply a certain overall body movement from your character. If you removed complex inputs (like D,DF,F+P) and replaced them with simpler, frame zero inputs (F+P), it wouldn't change anything except make people fuck up more by accidentally inputting special moves while under pressure. Might help high level players too, but the fact that certain moves are, by nature, supposed to be more difficult to pull off kind of necessitates some kind of buffer.

While a good fighting game doesn't necessarily need multi-input moves, they do serve a purpose. It'd be absolutely retarded to remove them from a preexisting franchise, but I'd be interested in seeing a fighting game that doesn't have them.

>>320910102
>You're retarded if you're not familiar with this niche thing I like that barely applies to the argument at hand
Nice deflection. I play competitive Melee too, but I've been able to Shoryuken since I was 7 years old.
>>
>>320910238
What game has that strict of an input?
>>
File: ID9WUJac.png (321 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
ID9WUJac.png
321 KB, 400x400
>>320908560
Street Fighter V
>Ono: We want the professional players and the casual fans of the series to return, but we also want to reach those who have never even touched a fighting game. So we can’t have something in the game that makes people think, ‘This is not acceptable’.

Tekken 7
>Harada: As for the game side of things, we want to make it easy to approach for newcomers, returning players, and also those who thought that Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was just too difficult. There are also players out there who keep a distance from the Tekken games because they think the games are too difficult. For instance, there are actually quite a lot of players who watched Tekken match videos on YouTube, but do not actually play, thinking that "it's just impossible for me to learn it".
>>
File: 1423111600143.jpg (25 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
1423111600143.jpg
25 KB, 228x221
>>320908884
>Smash Bros. isn't a fighting game it's better.
>>
>>320910329
>he can't make 1/4th of a fucking circle on stick
>oh but wait he can mash left and right really fast
>probably can't even continuous waveshine
>>
>>320910775
>defending being forced to fight the controls more than the opponent.
>in a fucking fighting game

topkek stay retarded sf2drone
>>
>>320910329
Wow, so this is the power of autism.
>>
>>320908560
Those combos aren't even hard to pull off you faggot
>>
>>320910945
>confirmed for not knowing circles
>implying melee doesn't have retarded execution requirements to play competently
I'm sorry you're retarded and can't make circles, but you're the exact reason these motions exist and should exist
>>
Other fighting games aren't selling cause they aren't original

All you really need nowadays is Tekken and Mahvel. You get a 1 on 1 great fighting game. and a good 3 on 3 fighting game with a vibrant cast.
>>
>>320911201
I love Tekken but Street Fighter sells a hell of a lot more
>>
>>320910683
top kek
where you when fighting games were kill
>>
File: 1449982991175.jpg (44 KB, 639x628) Image search: [Google]
1449982991175.jpg
44 KB, 639x628
>>320909068
>all games have the same core gameplay
>some how they can be different genres
>>
>>320908769
>Smash Bros is not a fighting game

Hm...
>The primary gameplay element is characters fighting each other
>Gameplay
>Fighting other
>Game
>Fighting
>Fighting Game
>>
>>320908560
But this are just quarter circles and DPs and ONE half circle (apart from Chun's). Who'd be retarded enough not to be able to do these even as an infant?
>>
but the controls aren't hard anon

and thats a shit picture, the in game menu and eventhubs shots you what movement to do on the stick, not arrows.
>>
Fucking faggot smashbabies getting this anal blasted

If you can't do a fucking Hadoken or a shoryuken input you just plain suck at life lmao
>>
>>320910360
That happens a lot other characters that doesn't make it shit.

I swear to god I never saw a decent mewtwo. But comparing Ryu to Mewtwo is a little extreme.
>>
>>320911306
Then I guess Call of Duty is a fighting game too then faggot
After all, the gameplay does revolve around fighting each other.
I guess Mario Party is a fighting game too because when you're done you fight your friends
>>
>>320911282
>It isn't a fighting game
>Only two of the games in the franchise were good
>Somehow this implies that games in the franchise are a different genre

Are smashfags this fucking dyslexic?
>>
>>320910329

if you can wavedash you can do a fucking fireball

execution in Melee is MUCH harder at a competitive level than any other Street Fighter game so idk why you're bringing this up
>>
>>320908560
Thing is OP.
I don't see those as complex any more.
You just gotta git gud
>>
>>320911438
Lmao
>>
>>320911306
It is very important to recognize that despite the growth of Smash's scene, Nintendo refuses to label it a fighting game. I couldn't even hypothesize as to why that is the case.

Anytime they talk about the competitive scene, they just call it "Competitive Game" or "Competitive Action Game."
>>
>>320910589
Guilty Gear
King of Fighters
>>
>>320909132
>>320910360
Ryu is legitimately top-tier. Maybe even Top 5 iirc

Nigga, are you retarded?
>>
but fighting games are inherently complex and autistic

I never even was good or really liked fighting games but pullling off a big combo is rewarding as shit
>>
>>320911438
>I guess Mario Party is a fighting game too because when you're done you fight your friends
kek

And I know you're being sarcastic, but CoD isn't a fighting game because it's, more specifically, a shooter. You fight people by shooting, so it's a shooter. In hack and slashes, you fight people by hacking and slashing. In RPGs, you fight people by roleplaying as whatever kinda nigga u want, famiglia. In Smash Bruddas, you fight people by literally fighting people unless you're playing party mode.
>>
>>320910769
and true he is Fighter fag
>>
>>320911843
In fighting games, what if the character has a gun? You're shooting them then. So I guess they're shooters now. In Smash, many characters have swords, Devil May Cry has swords, so it must be a hack and Slash
Mario Party has dice and cards, so therefore it must be compulsive gambling.
>>
>>320912072
Nah, I'm fucking with ya. But seriously though, that's too vague to call Smash a fighting game. The method really doesn't matter, whether it be sword or gun or boomerang. It's about how it's presented. I don't think Smash is a fighting game because it isn't presented as one, it's a party game with a deep competitive edge.
Seriously though, these genre names are too fucking vague "fighting" could mean anything
>>
>>320911378
>I swear to god I never saw a decent mewtwo

cause Mewtwo is actually shit.
>>
>>320908560
What are these inputs from? Why are they wrong?
>>
>>320910683
>So we can’t have something in the game that makes people think, ‘This is not acceptable’.
>Give Bison that ridiculous safe corner combo that is infinitely repeatable
Fuck you Ono
>>
>>320912643
Last time I played Smash 4, I ran into the occasional, very rare, decent Mewtwo.

Mewtwo kinda sucks to much to ever truly be a threat 99% of the time though.
>>
>>320911474
nah fuck off

Hitting links is much harder than anything in melee

L-cancelling has a 6-frame window and you see smashbabies complaining about it all the time. If you gave them an actual FGC game they would shit their pants at the prospect of having to learn 4F links, let alone 1F links. SF is the harder game. More matchups, more demanding skill-requirements, and the level of talent in the community far surpasses any smash. In Melee there are 6 gods; in USF4 you can't even begin to guess who will win the next tournament since everyone is so dedicated to improving.
>>
>>320912317
You're and idiot.

The primary gameplay element is fighting. You have characters who do nothing but fight each other. It's a fighting game. It doesn't matter how it's fucking advertised, the gameplay dictates what it is.
>>
I like smash but even I'm not so retarted to say one system is beter than another. Most Street fighter moves aren't complicated. If you can't doa basic hold back --foward, dragon punch or hadouken moments then you shouldn't be playing any fighting games.

Smash is the same way for it's own thing. IF you can't dash, catch and throw, know your combos and smashes then.... you shouldn't be playing smash.

You learn the game's mecahnics. It's that fucking simple. If you don't like the mechanics then too bad, it's not the game for you.
>>
>>320914484
It does fucking matter you autist.
Going back to analogies, Call of Duty is a fighting game according that definition.
Unreal Tournament is a fighting game.
Bulletstorm is a fighting game.
Just having characters that fight and do nothing else isn't enough you moron.
>>
>fighting game inputs
>complicated

I think bejeweled is more your speed OP.
>>
>>320915738
You're a dense retard.
In a fighting game, you're either on a 2D plane or in a 3D arena and you fight at least one person. No buildings to search, no hiding. You always know where the opponent is. You input commands (even if they are simplified) to rack up damage and ultimately get a knock out.

All three games you listed are shooters. You run around seeking out opponents to shoot and kill. You can hide, you form large teams, and you don't always know where the opponent is. You're not fighting, you're hunting.
>>
>>320913686
arguing with meleefags is pointless, they say stupid shit like fox is the most technical fighting game character ever but then refuse to play anything without cartoon shit on the front of it.

>>320911279
playing kof and guilty gear with all of the smart people
>>
>>320916480
No fucking shit you dense fuck.
I'm saying a definition of "they fight durr" isn't good enough of a reason to classify something as a fighting game, which, by the way, is exactly how YOU classified them.

Don't be so thick
>>
>>320917014
It doesn't take more than an ounce of logic to understand that if the definitive gameplay aspect is fighting, then it's a fighting game.

It's apparent that you needed clarification though.
>>
The vast majority of Smash sales are on the 3ds. Enjoy your handled touting jap casuals.
>>
>>320908769
its a casual fighting game but its still apart of the genre
>>320908560
casual games have always done better in every genre
>>
>>320917176
I wasn't arguing with you over the definition of fighting games, or what defines them, I was criticising your shit definition for not being specific enough.
I don't need you to clarify the meaning of a fighting game to me, I think you should work on your reading comprehension.
>>
zelda is an rpg
>>
Sirlin did a pretty interesting podcast about this stuf a few months ago.
http://www.sirlin.net/posts/sirlin-on-game-design-ep-12-easy-special-moves

>>320913686
The problem with L-cancelling is not that it's hard but that it's necessary. There's never a reason not to do it. It's not that you need it to get first at a tourney, you need it to get anything but last and you might have to do it over a hundred times in a match. And it doesn't even do damage, it's just for moving around. Another good example is Fox's shorthop. That's a 2-frame input for a basic action that, again, doesn't even deal damage.
>>
>>320908560
anything outside of 236, 41236 is horse shit
especialy charge moves
>>
>>320908560
If you think anything on that page is complex you might have a learning disorder.
>>
>>320919572
Sirlin is an irrelevant retard with shitty opinions and the scene would be better if everyone just forgot about him. We're almost there, but people like you still give him attention for some stupid fucking reason.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.