[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you still miss vanilla WoW, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: 51QmN8S-tqL.jpg (49 KB, 353x500) Image search: [Google]
51QmN8S-tqL.jpg
49 KB, 353x500
Do you still miss vanilla WoW, /v/?
>>
>>320892138
>miss
Not while Nostalrius is around.
>>
>>320892752
this
>>
>>320892138
no
>>
I miss the playerbase more than the game itself.

Game is full of nothing but absolute braindead fucking morons.

Play a BG in current WoW, and see if you don't lose faith in humanity after every fucking round.
>>
>>320892138
nope, because i dont waste my life on MMOs for longer than a month
unless it was planetside or runescape
>>
I never was a wow faggot, so no.

Have fun being the absolute lowest trash
>>
>>320892138
Played Nostalrius and I realized vanilla really wasn't that great and neither is Nostalrius. I was just a dumbfuck tween who enjoyed playing with my brother and living out my first fantastical roles with a pretty chill community.
>>
>>320892752
I wonder, what is the legality of that? It's code that's over a decade old, but at the same time it's drawing player away from current WoW. Does Blizzard just have a live-and-let-live policy to this sort of thing?
>>
>>320894081
(You)
>>
Do I miss vanilla as like a game? No. Do I miss WoW as a fond memory, back when I was 14 and was in guilds and was social and had blind fun? Fuck yes. Now I'm turning 23 next week, I may as well be a schizoid I'm so anti-social and nothing makes me happy anymore :P
>>
>>320894823
Are you a 21st century schizoid man?
>>
>>320894231
it has a we-can't-do-shit-to-the-french policy

nostalrius is based in le france
>>
>>320894231
They monitor the popular servers closely, but they don't take legal action unless it's hosted in the US or the private server is generating huge revenues. The last big private server that was taken down by Blizzard was WoWScape/Scapegaming, who was raking over a million dollars a year in donations.
>>
>>320892138
No, scratched my itch with nostalrius and im never going back again. maybe in 4 years
>>
File: 5548.jpg (88 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
5548.jpg
88 KB, 720x960
I resubbed on Friday. It was spoiler. But, I literally just canceled my sub.

I feel like there is just too much in the game now, ya know? It feels so fucking bloated. It tickles my autism that I'm at 11k achieve points and wont be able to come close to the rest, with a full time job and family now. I understand why the addiction is still there for some people. I'm actually browsing now looking for a good game to take its place. I miss fun vidya.
>>
File: 1397455557318.png (387 KB, 598x369) Image search: [Google]
1397455557318.png
387 KB, 598x369
>>320895430

>he only has 11k cheivo points
>>
Vanilla - no.
TBC - yes.
>>
>>320896118
exactly
and for what? it's not like they're even epeen pointa anymore, because only nolifers are left
>>
File: 1429594217446.gif (736 KB, 451x322) Image search: [Google]
1429594217446.gif
736 KB, 451x322
Kind of. It was mainly the release point that hit this perfect storm of MMO. Everquest just started truly dying, online gaming was becoming a more popular thing, and datamining game information was relatively new.

That meant that the population for WoW was huge and everything was more or less new to players. The large playerbase meant that 10m UBRS raids could be a thing. Barrens chat could be a thing. Popcorn raids on lowbie towns could be a thing. And IMO, the most important aspect of Vanilla, was that server communities could be a thing. Each server was its own population. You remember the guy who had the black AQ mount or the guy who had the Grand Marshall/High Warlord PvP gear. You remember seeing the top guild fully decked out in T1/T2. Players could be special in Vanilla. Not only that but there was a huge leveling population. The world was alive; organic world PvP like consistently fighting outside DM could never be replicated today without forcing players to interact. Arguably it was TBC that was not only the peak but the downfall of WoW which is hard to fault Blizzard with because there was only one way to push the game which is toward end-game content.

Now everything is already out there before the game releases and you don't know anyone anywhere. All the cool items and quests and NPCs are datamined months beforehand. Chilling outside the Ironforge AQ or on top of Orgrimmar Bank is different now because it doesn't matter who you see because you might never ever play with them.

Nost kind of hits that tone but you really had to play at that time to live the true vanilla experience. Nost players are inherently different, they're WotLK players in a Vanilla environment. You feel like you're part of a closed community instead of a vast global one.
>>
Corecraft soon right?
>>
>>320896889
I can't trust servers with shitty websites
>>
>>320896782
As someone who never played WoW, what was Barrens chat? I saw people mention it every now and again, but I never really figured it out.
>>
>>320896782
>WotLK players in a Vanilla environment

You're delusional if you think WotLK people are even still playing. Anyone with half a brain quit and never went back during Cata.
>>
No. It was fun back then because there wasn't really anything like it and everything was new and shiny.
The overall "world" community has certainly taken a dip in the past years, but in terms of gameplay, mechanics and design the current WoW far surpasses that of vanilla.

It's still a lot of fun if you manage to find a nice guild / play with friends.

>>320897118
Shitposting central. Imagine current trade chat except filled with noobs and people asking after Mankrik's Wife.
>>
>>320897118
Barrens was a giant ass zone, that constantly sent you from one side to the other, with little reward.

15 minute treks over and over got really boring, so people would just start spouting stupid crap to keep them entertained during the walks.
>>
File: 322_22A_12_tk1-0134.jpg (47 KB, 432x243) Image search: [Google]
322_22A_12_tk1-0134.jpg
47 KB, 432x243
>>320892752
Is it really worth getting back into? I browsed a nostalrius thread last week and got the fucking craving so bad. I just want to level up and have it not be dead when I get to 60. I miss UBRS and LBRS, I miss trying to 40man with an active guild.
>>
>>320896782
I agree 100%.
Blizz fucked up a lot of what made vanilla/early tbc so incredible, but it was also just a special time. Like when the internet was still new and exciting, still figuring out what it was for. If vanilla was released right now, it would flop. Times have changed. Player expectations have changed. Gotta stop chasing it, and just remember it fondly for the unique time that it was.

Shout out to VeCo for fite RIP
>>
>>320896782

I've been talking about the death of the WoW community for years and absolutely no one listened. They always talked about the "wowkiller" game but they never really understood that the only thing that would kill WoW was itself.

Once they built the framework to destroy any sense of community in the game and stopped releasing new content the game began an unstoppable decline. You can only reskin things and make players wait a year and a half for new content before those players become tired of the game.

WoW was a crowning achievement but it's effectively dead. The only people still enthusiastic about WoW are Nostalrius players.
>>
>>320892138
No, I miss the people I played with during my time spent in Wow.
>>
File: uther-portrait.jpg (49 KB, 163x276) Image search: [Google]
uther-portrait.jpg
49 KB, 163x276
>>320896782
I remember when there was no end-game content and Blizzard stayed mute about their plans. In the beginning we had no idea what lied ahead. They didn't even tell us what they were planning to do with PvP--but that didn't stop people from organizing raids and killing the opposing faction. Dire Maul was a huge deal--it was the like first major content patch. I really fucking miss the vastness and mysteriousness of the game. It's a really damn shame that now we have all these dataminers that spoil everything before it even hits the servers. And Blizzard doesn't even try to build mystery anymore. They give everyone access to everything. The game lost its magic a very long time ago. The armor sets were infinitely superior back in the old days too.
>>
File: wallpaper-1711474.jpg (221 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-1711474.jpg
221 KB, 1366x768
>>320896132
Are there any good populated TBC servers?
>>
>>320897118

Barrens Chat was literally a million monkeys at a million keyboards. The zone was HUGE and the quests were typically tedious. So imagine cramming a bunch of people in a zone with nothing to do but tell stupid jokes and try to play tricks on one another. It was memes before memes.
>>
>>320894231
At peak nost has like 11k players online. To a regular person that's a lot of money but to blizz that's pocket change.
>>
>>320897118
Troll, Tauren and Orc 10-25 leveling zone+fucking huge size=shitposting central
>>
>>320897769

>2.5 million dollars in revenue is chump change
>>
I personally loved the game in Vanilla, BC and Wrath. Everything after that I completely hated, all starting with Cata.

I can understand why people would dislike Wrath but that's just how I felt with wow.
>>
>>320897915
thats assuming shutting down Nost means all those players will start playing WoW which is obviously false
>>
>>320898497
correct

from my experience people who play mmos on private servers don't go to official
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.