[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else think Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is Mediocre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Does anyone else think Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is Mediocre?

The level design is pretty simple, the enemies aren't very interesting, the levels themselves are quite boring, and the music doesn't feel that inspired even if they got the original composer on this.

I can't even stomach to beat the last two stages and I've had this game for a year now.
>>
>>>/DKVine/
>>
>>320876346
What?
>>
I think it's a bit overrated because Donkey Kong Country Returns was so disappointing, so people wanted to like it. I still think it's solid though.
>>
Its the best DKC game
>>
I went in with high expectations and it still delivered so maybe it was just your attitude. The only levels I don't find fun on a replay are the water levels but besides them every level is super solid. I even went as far to get every blue KONG letter, it's definitely my favorite platformer.
I don't know what you expect out of the level design of a 2D platformer if TF's was too simple for you.
>>
File: btfo.png (22 KB, 817x833) Image search: [Google]
btfo.png
22 KB, 817x833
Agree, OP

Then again it could have the best stage design and OST of any game ever made and it would still be rancid shit with no K rool anywhere in sight.
>>
File: 1450427974047.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1450427974047.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>320877750
I keep trying to play it with a positive attitude. Maybe it's because I grew up on the original Trilogy? This game just feels like lss love was put into it.
>>
>>320878303
I love 1 and 2 (haven't played 3) and TF was a great package for me even playing those beforehand, so maybe it has to do with how you look at the gameplay.
There's three things that 1-3 absolutely does better in my opinion, and that's rolling, water levels, and barrel sections. When I compare anything else though I find myself leaning toward TF, even music and aesthetic sometimes. Try breaking down the gameplay and see what you like and dislike compared to the original three, because 1-3 and R/TF are two very different takes on the same kind of game. Like, think about what makes the originals' levels or enemies more interesting in ways that TF doesn't succeed in.
>>
>>320876263
>the enemies aren't very interesting
This was a problem with Returns as well. I understand the desire to do something different and distinguish their Donkey Kong Country games from the original trilogy, but the enemies Retro have mustered up so far haven't been that great; they only really seem to be remembered for what they're not, rather than what they were. To a lot of people, I think, it feels as if the Tik Tak Tribe and the Snowmads existed only for the sake of not using the Kremlings, and that's probably not a good thing.
>>
>>320879042
The only good water levels were the ones in DKC 3 man, even then most of those only have water segments instead of full on stages dedicated to them, the actual stages in dkc1 and 2 dedicated to water were tepid, wherein the player has no freedom to do anything but move, taking away the player's ability to attack and the presence of barrels, which is arguably where most of the fun in these games comes from. Poison Pond for instance is the worst shit in any Donkey Kong game, no contest.

Also what do you mean by 'barrel sections'? The fact that older dkc games have more types of barrels in general?
>>
>>320879763
I find the parts where you shoot through barrels are generally more fun in the original trilogy, where in TF they just seem to be there because they were in the originals. I don't know why I feel this way though.
>>
>>320879564
OP doesn't seem like a deviant autist who genuinely invests himself in what filler enemies look like so I'd assume he just meant that he doesn't find the enemies very engaging to interact with.

I'd agree with his sentiment to some extent in regard to dkcr, where the enemy cast all functions the same except for the ones that fly, the ones that you have to ground pound and the ones that are on fire but I'd say TF has a good amount of enemy variety for a platformer, the way you approach a lot of the enemies is a lot more varied than just "jump on or roll into it and it dies", some, like the bomb chucking rabbit and that walrus with the spiky helmet, have reasonably complex interaction chains too.
>>
>>320880468
Don't touch bees, jump on non-spiky enemies, roll into spiky enemies.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.