[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>game is enjoyable and or revolutionary >remake is made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: ff7rtt.jpg (78 KB, 700x519) Image search: [Google]
ff7rtt.jpg
78 KB, 700x519
>game is enjoyable and or revolutionary
>remake is made x years later
>change what made it amazing in the first place

Why is this allowed?
>>
Because it literally prints money
>>
>>320864608
Because times have changed, the people who lauded the original have grown up and moved on, so it needs to be remade for a new target audience who likes new things that are different from what those people who liked the original were into.

That's the whole point behind remaking/rebooting anything, so it can be changed and resold to a new generation. The fact that /v/ doesn't understand this is a little worrisome.
>>
The gameplay wasn't amazing or revolutionary, it was a literal copy and paste from FF6

The only thing FF7 innovated was pre-rendered backgrounds and FMV cutscenes, or basically everything that's wrong with modern games.
>>
>>320864608
Because Nomura. According to him, because the original FF7 set out to surpass all previous Final Fantasy games when it was being made, a remake of the game won't be good enough if it doesn't try to surpass the original.
>>
>>320864829
No, the materia linking system is actually pretty interesting.
>>
>>320864826
>That's the whole point behind remaking/rebooting anything, so it can be changed and resold to a new generation. The fact that /v/ doesn't understand this is a little worrisome.

Because it's fucking stupid. By that logic you should be remaking shitty games instead of good ones.
>>
File: MystCover[1].png (109 KB, 256x307) Image search: [Google]
MystCover[1].png
109 KB, 256x307
>>320864829
>The only thing FF7 innovated was pre-rendered backgrounds and FMV cutscenes

The fuck are you smoking? Those both existed way before FFVII did, hell before FFVI did.
>>
That's standard practice in any other entertainment medium. Look at music: covers hop between genres constantly, and some end up being more remembered than the original.

Changing FFVII for the remake means that the new version won't make the old one completely obsolete, like Resident Evil Remake did to the original Resident Evil. If you end up preferring the original that's great. If you end up preferring the new one that's great too. If you end up enjoying them both for their unique strengths individually, that's fantastic.
>>
>>320864826
A group of autistic hateful manchildren find something wrong with a change in a game they, up until now, claimed to hate and was only for autistic neckbeards

Are you surprised? At all?
>>
>>320865002
>enough if it doesn't try to surpass the original.

But being episodic disqualifies it from doing so automatically
>>
File: 1445095823587.jpg (435 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1445095823587.jpg
435 KB, 1080x1080
Cloud falls into a coma after a battle and has scientists experimenting with Mako-energy and JENOVA cells to try and make him into a supersoldier.
>Venom Snake goes into a coma after a battle and doctors perform surgery on him to make him look like someone else.
>Cloud, after waking up, traumatized, trades place with Zack, his hero and a supersoldier, in his own memories, adopts parts of Zacks-persona.
>Venom Snake is turned into a copy of the greatest soldier of the 19th century through hypnotherapy. Has his face changed through surgery to look like aforementioned soldier.
>Both wake up years afterwards (Cloud 6/7 years, Venom 9 years) after their ordeals as someone entierly different from before their comas.
>Both lust for revenge against their wrongdoers

Cloud confirmed for alternate universe Venom Snake. Kojima does it again.
>>
>>320865153
/v/ has loved FFVII for a while.
>>
>>320865048
Are you a nigger by chance? You certainly have the reading comprehension of one.

I never said it was a good thing or that I think it's great that companies are doing it, I was merely pointing out the whole reason and point behind why they do it.

Businesses are in the business of making money. From their perspective, whether it's shitty or good is completely irrelevant as long as it turns a profit.
>>
>he would rather have FF7 remake be another 10 year running joke like FFXV
>>
>>320865162
This is the most autistic post I've seen about this game since it was announced.
>>
>>320865027
And I'm sure it will be part of the remake. OP is implying the menu based combat was revolutionary when it was the most stale component of the entire game.
>>
>>320865301
Bullshit /v/ wants to be hipster as fuck FF7 is to mainstream to like. the one /v/ likes is 13-2
>>
Think about it. They're probably going to make them more like the original CDs than some Telltales game series.

It's gonna have four parts that are as long as the original CDs.
>>
>>320865153
Did you roll out from Stupidville?
>>
>>320865479
There's nothing stale about turn-based combat. It's still very popular.
>>
>>320865440
>A bunch of incomplete games can somehow be better than a finished one

Are you stupid?
>>
>>320865641
It's not revolutionary. It's been around since the early 80s at least
>>
>>320865491
For a while hating VII became so mainstream that /v/ constantly had great threads about it. We even voted it the best in the series

It was only when the remake was announced that you heard people calling it outdated.
>>
>>320865774
>stale
>revolutionary
Pick a contention and stick to it you fucking mook. You don't just change the adjective mid-argument to shift the goalposts.
>>
>>320865947
I'm not shifting anything

>the remake is changing what was revolutionary about the original!
>menu based combat was not revolutionary
>s-stop shifting goal posts!

Idiot.
>>
>>320865503
I really, really hope you're right. But I fear you aren't, especially since they've announced that the scenario for the first entry is already complete.

That either means it's a really short "episode" type setup, which is what I'm dreading, or that they've been working on it a lot longer than they've let on.
>>
File: xf2wdqiVK1qkv52g_400.jpg (50 KB, 355x236) Image search: [Google]
xf2wdqiVK1qkv52g_400.jpg
50 KB, 355x236
>>320864608
>>change what made it amazing in the first place

It's a rework to update it to modern standards.

What's the point of re-releasing the same game with slightly better graphics? Especially when said game is playable on multiple systems anyway.

You're just retarded.
>>
>>320864608
Active Time Battle wasn't revolutionary, and didn't even start with FF VII. Materia are just Magicite that learn the spells themselves instead of teaching them to you. Mako is Magitek, and Sephiroth's attempt to become a god by absorbing all the magic had already been done (successfully) by Kefka. What WAS amazing and revolutionary was the fact that it was 3d polygons and had a cd audio soundtrack, and both of those things are still in.

It was a really good story, though. I do think it will lose a bit in translation to audio instead of being like reading a book. I can't imagine that all the little bits of flavor dialogue and history will make it in, they'll surely have to crop a lot of that out in favor of recorded voices.

And truly it won't really be a remake, the gameplay is changed completely. What they're really doing is making a completely new game and hanging FFVII's story on the front of it
>>
>Final Fantasy 7
>revolutionary

It was a rehash of the same old shit just new graphics.
>>
Buy the PC/PS4 port if you want the same game again.
>>
>>320866043
>and or revolutionary
>or
>or
It can be one, the other, or both. It is not both, but it wasn't articulated as an incontrovertible fact. The sentiment is a generality; as for the specificity of THIS topic, FF7 was enjoyable and they're radically changing it to the extent that it may no longer be to the original audience. But that of course is inconsequential because they're not trying to bank on 25-to-30-year-olds with this reiteration.
>>
FFVII was considered groundbreaking because of its scale.
It sold itself on its cinematics and scope, not its mechanics.
>>
>>320865503
>four parts that are as long as the original CDs.
>FFVII
>four discs
>>
File: ahhhh.png (41 KB, 239x258) Image search: [Google]
ahhhh.png
41 KB, 239x258
people here complain about shitty ports and remakes, then when they remake a game and change shit you lose your shit. like nigga go play the original if that's what you want.
>>
>>320866162
>What they're really doing is making a completely new game and hanging FFVII's story on the front of it

Square Enix is retarded beyond all hope. Fans begged and begged for 15 years straight for a modern graphics, voiced version of FFVII. That's it. They just wanted modern graphics and modern audio, nothing else. SE could have accomplished this very easily, especially around the time Advent Children and the other compilation shit was being churned out, and they would have made a mint, as that was back when the Final Fantasy brand was still unstoppable selling by the millions within a few days of release.

Instead, after all these years they decide to make a completely different game that the fans will inevitably hate them for making because it won't be FFVII.

Actually it may finally be the thing that kills FF's name for good. Lord knows The Lightning Saga combined with the trainwreck launch of FFXIV, all the mobile porting and spinoff bullshit, and the complete shitshow FFXV's development timeline has been have all but completely dismantled the once formidable fanbase they had.
>>
>>320866591
What you need to understand is that /v/ isn't one person, but a collection of many different retards.
>>
>>320866382
If we accept that a remake inherently implies changes will be made, then any change, no matter how small, can and will upset some of the original audience because people are adverse to change. Hell you can't even make a straight port of the game because people complain it's NOT a full remake. There's no satisfying everyone, so why don't you argue why they should cater specifically towards you?

The PSX game saw you mashing X to spam "Attack" for 99% of the game. I'm sure the controller mechanics will remain mostly unchanged in that regard, it's just their visual representation that's being changed. And isn't that what you want? A facelift to the same, boring old game? Because it's exactly what you're getting.
>>
>>320864608
revolutionary?
because it had good graphics for it's time? that's it.
>>
File: angry confused.png (290 KB, 605x403) Image search: [Google]
angry confused.png
290 KB, 605x403
>>320864608
>change what made it amazing in the first place
But the setting is what made it amazing, and they're doing a great job of recreating the world of the original game. Its fine.
>>
>>320865027
attach magic here... not real
>>
>>320866545
What are you trying to say here?
>>
>generic turn-based combat was revolutionary
Oh, those nostalgia lenses are so thick.
>>
>>320866726
>Square Enix is retarded beyond all hope. Fans begged and begged for 15 years straight for a modern graphics, voiced version of FFVII. That's it.

They begged specifically for this did they? Because all these years I never heard this as being specifically what people wanted, so maybe stop with the asspulls. That is that *you* wanted.

Also it would honestly be utterly pointless to make the exact same game and only pretty it up and add voices, keeping literally everything else intact (from the rendered backgrounds to the camera angles, etc.). A lot of the dialogue takes place way zoomed out from the characters as well so it's not like you would see their faces or lip movement.

If you're not saying
>b-but they should've changed it to a 3D world and not keep the pre-rendered graphics then while keeping everything else intact!
Doing so would automatically change a lot of parts with the gameplay in countless segments.
>>
>>320864608
I just want to control all my characters and TB combat is the best system for that
fuck games like FFXIII, Ni No Kuni or Xenoblade where you have to pray your retarded allies don't fuck you over

I guess the gambit system could work as a compromise, but they better let me change my party leader
none of this "you can only directly control noctis" bullshit please
>>
>replayed ff7 like 6 times
>people want a copypaste job with slightly better graphics

I'd rather just see a modern take on the game instead. Not really interested in replaying the exact same game again for the 7th time with a slightly better coat of paint.
>>
>>320867578
The trailer what with Barret made it appear that it has character switching.
>>
>you're doing this for the planet, same as us
They didn't change enough, Tbh
The game should have been reimagined from the ground up.

Basically like how Bravely Default is a complete remake of FF5. That's how you do a remake right
>>
>>320864608
because what was "revolutionary" back then is fucking god awful today
>>
>>320867643
This.

The original is great, thats why you should play the original for the original experience and the remake for a new one.
>>
>>320864608
>memorable
because for most people was "my first JRPG"
>revolutionary
Hell no, there was nothing revolutionary about FFVII, it was more on the generic side.
>>
>>320867643
but it's NOT just a graphic upgrade though
>>
>>320868084
That's what he said
>>
>>320864826
No, it's because nomura is a piece of shit and everything that he now touches, it transforms it into kingdom fucking fails.
>>
It doesn't need to be remade, nothing needs to be remade. Things get remade because companies want money and remakes are easier than coming up with something new.
>>
>>320868084
that's what faggots want it to be

they want "FF7 with voices and better graphics"

like this faggot:
>>320866726

I don't need voices and graphics to enjoy FF7, FF7 is already enjoyable as it is. remakes *should* change things to make it new and interesting
>>
>>320868084
but muh graphic is what made ff7 "enjoyable and or revolutionary"
>>
>>320867965
>Hell no, there was nothing revolutionary about FFVII, it was more on the generic side.

For a videogame the graphics were pretty impressive for the time. Especially how it integrated FMV in with gameplay.
>>
The only thing FF7 "revolutionized" are cinematics.

It's basically what started this interactive movie non-game fad that we're currently assdeep in
>>
>>320868659
>It's basically what started this interactive movie non-game fad that we're currently assdeep in

No it wasn't, you idiot. Back then FMV's were a tool and were sparingly used since they weren't cheap.
>>
>>320868659
>implying it wasn't Metal Gear
>>
>>320869074
>Back then FMV's were a tool and were sparingly used since they weren't cheap.
No shit? That's my point. Here FF7 comes along with 47 minutes of FMV and shows the world just how successful a non-game can be. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon and here we are.

Press X to hear the next line of dialogue, spoken by some polygons. Writing shitty stories is a hell of a lot cheaper than designing good gameplay.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.