[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VULKAN release date can't be met, putshed back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 14
>Valve thought backing VULKAN was a good idea
>Valve actually thought that investing in linux as a gaming platform was a good idea
>>
Does anyone actually like having to use windows for gaming?
>>
>>320863390
Do you even have any games to play?
>>
Vulkan is a cross platform API you retarded faggot, literally everyone will benefit from it.
>>
>>320864175
but it's not coming out on time and will likely be garbage
>>
>>320863390

about as much as i like the idea of valve trying to monopolize pc gaming even further with their own shit operating system
>>
>>320864336
Would you rather have it come out rushed or actually ready?
>>
>>320864636
I'd rather have it come out on time and as planned. Not rushed and broken and not put off and broken like what seems to be happening
>>
what the fuck even is it
>>
>>320863390
It's mostly about easy using, Do you think we want to sit there and have to put up with linux's bullshit when we want to game?
>windows
>insert disk
>install game
>click exe
>game works
>Linux
>figure out commands to install
>figure out all other commands to make sure it does not shit the bed
>still cant just click to lauch a game
Linux is a waste of time, I know you all want to feel Superior to windows users but if it worked just like windows with its no fuss interface and shit, there is a reason why windows still has the biggest market share because it "just works" buzz word or not its true when linux has the same sort of interface that you don;t have to fucking print out a cheat sheet of fucking console commands every time you want to unzip a zip file or change the name of a file then it will beat windows and be ready for gaming.
>>
>>320864336

a random retard like you would know
>>
>>320864780
Please tell me how it looks broken before it is actually released. It seems more like it's going through final testing.
>>
File: HH.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
HH.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>320862743
>GNU/Linux
>for paid, closed source, games
Can't you see?
You're not making gaming any better!
You're just making GNU/Linux worse!
>>
>>320864939
>getting so close to the original release date they have to put off release
>still testing

this isn't brain surgery, econometrics, or even organic chemistry. They can't get it to work.
>>
>>320865596
Who do you mean by they?
>>
File: 1446654249230.jpg (141 KB, 543x405) Image search: [Google]
1446654249230.jpg
141 KB, 543x405
>>320862743
>Be Valve
>Be a monopolist in digital distribution of PC games
>Eat up 30% of profits from all Steam-based PC digital sales
>Net profit around 1 billion US dollars per year (meanwhile GTA 5's budget was like 200 or 300 million incl. marketing expenditure)
>SteamOS still in beta
>Vulkan still not released to the public
>SteamVR won't be probably released in first three quarters of 2016
>Steam client is still clunky and slow piece of shit
>All that money and still no PC oriented E3 event
>Still no Half-Life 3
>Most of company investments aim to build a console around PC architecture

Fuck Valve and fuck Gabe Newell
>>
File: 1684321456.jpg (39 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1684321456.jpg
39 KB, 601x601
>>320865916
>Still no Half-Life 3
The Half-Life series IS and WILL always be a tech demo title.
Why the hell would Valve release a new HL if Source 2 isn't even done yet?
>>
>>320863390
Yes, I honestly prefer Microsoft over Valve. The "Microsoft is Evil" people are just normies parroting what they heard before. Microsoft is not that bad these days.
>>
>pushed back
>but dont worry its almost finished. release is imminent

yeah i bet valve is just falling apart over this
>>
i love it when you spy on me bill, im such a good microcuck
>>
>>320866241
>Source 2 isn't even done yet
found your problem

Valve earns truckloads of money but employs around 350 people
You can't achieve nothing grand with such understaffed company
Even CDPR employs like 230 people to develop ONE fucking video game once per few years
>>
>>320866448
>Microsoft is not that bad these days.
Not sure what you're smoking. They've gotten a lot worse and more desperate over the last few years. It wasn't that long ago that admitting your OS had built in back doors and was transmitting data back to remote servers would have gotten it dropped immediately but now a surprising number of Windows users are willing to accept it without a thought.
>>
>>320866575

SDK hitting 1.0 only now means that Vulkan games will only start appearing in late 2017. On top of that, Nvidia's said it's not going to do nowhere near as much in Win 7 as it would in W10 or a newer linux distro due to W7 needing way more overhead and most of the claims for it are Snake oil.

There's going to be a shitload of disappointment with Vulkan. It's been way overhyped and will never match with the reality.
>>
>>320865003
Making Linux better for gaming also makes it better for open source games. Sooner or later the modding communities that object to commercialization of their mods will jump onto open source projects like OpenMW, or the Aurora Engine.
>>
>>320865916
>Steam client is still clunky and slow piece of shit
I'm still butthurt about this. That software is a real pain in the dick to do anything with, and it's their fucking flagship product.
>>
>>320863390
I don't mind it. Linux is worthless until it gets massive support and proper drivers.
>>
>>320866448
>Microsoft is not that bad these days.
>>hides the free version of VS under Products
>>only trial versions under Downloads
>>IE is part of the OS and still garbage
>>being incompetent enough to release a hybrid mobile and desktop os's [8/8.1/10]
>>other bullshit I can't be bothered to google up so I'll leave it to somebody else to do
>>
>>320867024
For Windows users perhaps not. For Linux users on the other hand it will bring much lower complexity compared to OpenGL meaning that the open source drivers will be higher performance and more in line with the commercial drivers and it will make ports easier as SPIR-V will allow developers to use HLSL and deploy precompiled shaders giving them a more familiar environment and work flow.
>>
>>320867210
They're on the way, at least if you use AMD hardware.
>>
>>320864336
the only way vulkan can be garbage is when bad devs use it wrong
>>
>>320865916
Seriously, what are they spending all that money on?

>Snacks for that fat fuck.
>>
>>320866448
neo-/v/
>>
>>320864823
a better api that replaces opengl
no more retarded state management and legacy functionality from 2001
>>
>>320863390
No. Everyday I contemplate switching to linux and using my ps4 for most gaming.
>>
>>320867404

Linux devs have already said it's not a magic bullet and even SDK 1.0 is lacking tools to help with porting. It's releasing in January but it's not really going to be effective till late 2017/2018. They have come in far too late and with not enough features for devs to move on outside of low level access

Seriously, DX12's biggest feature for devs isn't even the GPU control or low level. It's the PC version of PIX Inspector. Layer based optimisation environment is what devs have been begging for years and Vulkan won't ship with one. It's a very far off feature.
>>
>>320867706
Their child labor workforce.
>>
>>320867706
Most of that money goes to server upkeep, bandwidth costs, and credit card processing fees. That's why basically every online store takes a similar cut. Valve makes significantly more money off of their own titles than third parties and that's good incentive for them to continue to produce first party games.
>>
>>320864410
>monopolize
>open source
>>
>>320867162
That's all good and well, but the primacy of a paid app store would change the ecosystem significantly. The whole point of GNU/Linux is freedom, not "I don't want to pay for Windows".
>>
>>320867903
Except they already showed off the layer based tools. Not sure where you're getting that information, one of the whole points of Vulkan is the nice dev tools that have been built.
>>
>>320867162
That's all good and well, but the primacy of a paid app store as a 'selling point' would change the ecosystem significantly. The whole point of GNU/Linux is freedom, not "I don't want to pay for Windows".
>>
>>320868083
>SteamOS
>open source
It isn't tbqh senpai
>>
>>320868135

Uh, no they haven't. They were completely absent from the last GDC and haven't shown up in the SDK beta's at all. There's no layer based optimization tool at all.

Even PCMR on leddit has been calling Khronos on their BS. They haven't shown shit and are running on empty promises and loonix fags claiming 2016 will be the year of linux when it's going to be late 2017/2018 till a game ships with Vulkan support.
>>
>>320868382
it is retard. it's just the steam software that isn't, it's basically debian+steam
>>
>>320863390
No. I don't like Linux either, but Windows is a farce.
>>
>>320868382
Only Steam itself is closed, all of the software that supports it is either open source (SDL, Mesa), or closed but distro agnotic (Nvidia driver). If Valve ever goes evil it will be much easier to recover from and shift games from Steam to another software source on a Linux based platform than it would be to recover from Microsoft's inevitable locking of Windows to their own store.

Besides other software sources for Linux are still being worked on such as Gnome's new Software distribution system and they could easily lend themselves to distribution of games.
>>
>>320868679
>It is
>apart from the part that isn't
get your closed source DRM shit out of here normie
>>
>>320862743
Of course backing Linux for gaming is a good idea. Do you want PC gaming to be permanently and irreversibly monopolized by Microsoft and their closed-source, anti-consumer cancerware?

Do you people even proofread before you make these disgusting posts?
>>
>>320868959
>not jumping onto the Valve is Stupid circlejerk
>>
>>320868927
That would mean most Linux flavors are not open source because they come pre-installed with non-FLOSS software. You're being ridiculous.
>>
>>320868927
that's basically saying debian is closed source because you installed chrome you dumb motherfucker
the steam client is the only closed source component
>>
File: 1450477277851.jpg (101 KB, 513x486) Image search: [Google]
1450477277851.jpg
101 KB, 513x486
>>320862743
>falling for the open sores meme
>>
>>320869246
>the status of a software's source code constitutes a meme

Neo-/v/ ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>320868623
I seem to recall Valve showing off debug layers as part of their Dota2 demo. So perhaps there aren't any official tools from Khronos but there are definitely third party ones already in existence and that would pick up rapidly once its out of NDA.

There are already games built on engines that support Vulkan that will almost certainly receive support soon after release. Also most current Linux ports are built using tools that wrap Direct3D to OpenGL, porting those tools to produce Vulkan instead could drastically improve performance.
>>
File: 1432674405185.jpg (294 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1432674405185.jpg
294 KB, 1024x768
>>320869246
>falling for the DirectJew meme
>>
>>320869319
He's not wrong to be fair.
>>
What the hell is vulkan
>>
File: 1444514605067.png (23 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1444514605067.png
23 KB, 640x640
>>320869319
>he doesn't know everything is a meme
>>
>>320867886
Seriously guys, I think about this a lot. Would you agree that pretty much every PC exclusive comes to Linux? So I could just play most multiplats on my ps4 and whatever else I can get on my PC.
>>
>>320862743
> Vulkan
> Linux gaming

Please take your ignorance somewhere else.
>>
>>320869459
>memes are a meme
>>
>>320869443
Direct3D 12 without the requirement to switch to Windows 10.
>>
>>320869371
2016 will finally be the year of the GNU/Linux desktop.
>>
>>320869443
spong from star wars
>>
>>320869548
There are still some holdouts like Blizzard, but they've apparently made their choice to become a console developer and have dumbed down their games too much now and ruined whatever good stuff they still had.

Linux gaming now is a lot like PC gaming as a whole was in the early 90s.
>>
>>320864825
>insert disk
The early 2000s wants you back.
>>
>>320869369

Those are source 2 only and only debug. It's not optimization tools. The biggest issue is that there's little in Vulkan now, everything has to be done engine by engine than multiple solutions, Khronos have well overblown what it can do (especially with w7 to the point where it feels like astroturfing and pleading people to stay on w7 for an API that's not going to do much past 11.3 currently does) and it's coming way too late.

Khronos have been given a free pass just because "Linux" and no one has asked them why the fuck are they coming so late and with so little?
>>
>>320869371
>Not wanting explicit multi-adapter support for different hardware
>Not wanting proper debugging, profiling and optimizations tools
>Willingly wanting to use a shoddily implemented API
No wonder nobody used OpenGL, let's see if they can get a tad closer to achieve the same as DirectX with Vulkan
>>
>>320863390

In an age where we have SSDs and it takes less than 30 seconds to switch OS I have no idea why people use Windows for anything other than playing games or using the rare piece of software they can't get running in Linux for whatever reason.

Linux is a superior OS for day to day use.
>>
File: Malal_chaos.jpg (109 KB, 900x886) Image search: [Google]
Malal_chaos.jpg
109 KB, 900x886
>>320869371
He sides with Chaos?
I like his style.
>>
>>320862743
I sure hope Vulkan won't be garbage and try to hard for for mobile and mobile gaming, and other stuff things. They sure have a lot of different contributors in there.
>>
>>320870106
I want all of that for Vulkan, at least spir-v is a good start
>>
>>320870141
>Linux is a superior OS for day to day use.

If youre a NEET I guess
>>
>>320870141
Linux is still only useful for the server environment. There is NOTHING it dose better than that.
>>
>/v/ now defends anti-consumer jewery while lambasting the pro-consumer alternatvies

What went wrong?
>>
>>320870141
That's absolutely wrong. Not everyone has time to check all distributions to decide which one is better, and many people are not computer savvy enough to handle the many problems it can have. Linux lacks the consistency Windows and OSX have, by exactly the fact that it has more features.
>>
>>320870045
>an API that's not going to do much past 11.3 currently does
The same is true of D3D12, none of these low-level APIs are adding much in terms of features what they're bringing to the table is low level control. Vulkan is intentionally very minimal because that's the whole point. No more of the driver complexity required by OpenGL and no more room for Nvidia to play games with their driver to cripple other vendors.

>It's not optimization tools
I'm not sure what kind of optimization tools you're expecting. The whole point of a minimal explicit API is that the driver isn't going to have slow code paths that you'll have to work around or guess what the driver is doing to produce fast code.
>>
>>320870261

That doesn't even make sense. It's far less time consuming to maintain a Linux box than a Windows one.
>>
>>320870427
Mobile, TVs and whatever shitty devices are based on it. On the average desktop though, Linux will never ever catch on.
>>
>>320870045
>there's little in Vulkan now
that's the point
>>
>>320870443
>What went wrong?
The 'pro consumer alternative' being undoubtedly inferior
>>
>>320870427
Stuff developed for the server room is already making Linux better for the desktop though. Containers and overlay file systems are set to revolutionize software for end users.
>>
>>320870726
>spec isn't even released yet
>no documentation
>you've probably never even written a line of code in your life, let alone any GL/DX
>undoubtedly inferior

Righto, chief.
>>
>>320870595
A whole decade later and this bullshit still isn't true.
>>
>>320863390
I like whatever OS I use to be compatible with the things I want to use.

I've been using ubuntu for work for half a year now, I wanted to try it, I wanted to like it and it's just not happening.

Fuck having to write sudo before statements in the stupid command line I have to bring up for common as fuck shit, handling permissions for everything is retarded, if someone has access to the actual machine they are going to be able to do whatever the hell they want in the first place.

Fuck the entirety of its file system.

Fuck running WINE just so you can pretend it's compatible with things.

Fuck waiting when I alt-tab so I can see the different windows of the same kind of thing I am opening.

Fuck the fact that I've had more crashes (technically more like freezes) in ubuntu in the last month than I've had with any version of windows in the last 2 years.

But above all fuck the mentality that linux is completely fine and that there isn't a reason people don't use it besides being used to windows, which makes people disregard the problem and develop a truckload of different retarded linux distros with stupid names.

And slightly related, FUCK RECURSIVE ACRONYMS, looking at you, GNU, WINE and PHP while you are at it, you are not smart, you are not cool, you are fucking retarded in a desperate attempt to look interesting.
>>
>>320870602
Only because the definition of what is and isn't a desktop keeps being eroded by new innovative takes on the personal computer that Microsoft has to write off and relegate to the 'other' category to maintain their high 'desktop' numbers.

Most users simply don't need full fledged desktops anymore. We're victims of our own success, and gaming PCs built with discrete components will continue to become more of a niche item over the next decade as SOC hardware becomes more capable at lower prices making the prospect of a premium $200 OS increasingly ridiculous. Microsoft's problem is that they can't embrace the new device form factors without insisting on imposing software restrictions on them to protect their 'desktop' market.
>>
>>320870141

Linux can make sense for day to day use in specific work environments and specialized devices.

For literally everything else it's shit.
>>
>>320870595
>Windows has problem
>google it and fix it
>Linux has problem
>google it
>browse through pages of old documentation and commands that might not work on your distribution
>finally find what seems like a good solution
>maybe fix it
'It's far less time consuming to maintain a Linux box than a Windows one.'
>>
>>320871176
>Fuck the entirety of its file system.
Plebian as fuck.
>>
File: 1438929145376.jpg (21 KB, 280x278) Image search: [Google]
1438929145376.jpg
21 KB, 280x278
>>320871176
>using Unbuntu
>>
>>320871492
>Linux has an update pending
>Check to see if it will break anything
>Agree to install the update
>It warns me that something may be incompatible
>Asks me if I want to remove it.
>Google for any issues
>Lots of good information

>Windows 10 has an update pending
>It automatically updates without input
>Removes software it deems to be a problem without warning
>Google issues with it
>Too new for there to be any information
>>
>>320871945
>Windows 10
Found your problem.
And it's inherently more of a hassle to fix something on Linux because of the sheer amount of different configurations it can have.
>>
>>320871776
And welcome to one of the best parts about the discussion of linux compared to windows!

Here, you have the "windows camp"

And there, you have the "linux camp"

And you know what's the best part about linux camp? Everybody in linux camp thinks you should use linux, because they all think linux is better than windows.

BUT

They can't for the life of them get to a goddamned fucking agreement of what linux distro to use in pretty much ANY SITUATION.

Oh, and just for the record, I despise microsoft and will recommend open source software whenever reasonable, I cringe when I see anyone using adobe acrobat reader, I wish the entirety of Word would burn to ashes and I would really, REALLY like to switch to a different OS.

But the amount of problems that would create is simply not worth it at all.

>>320871945
>>Windows 10 has an update pending

This is not a "windows vs linux" issue, this is a "mental impairment" issue.
>>
>>320871492
>windows has a problem
>google it
>only results are a locked thread with a megaupload link, another thread with a 15 step guide with screenshots of the gui to show you what to click (half the links are hosted with photobucket or imageshack and are dead) and a tutorial video with a guy typing in notepad 7 words per minute with metal music in the background
>linux has a problem
>copy this line into the terminal and hit enter
>>
I can wait.

VULKAN will be the API that changes everything and saves us from ever having to upgrade to Windows 10. Better to wait for the savior of videogames than have it come out bugged as fuck.
>>
>>320872369
>>linux has a problem
>>copy this line into the terminal and hit enter

I love it because this is actually very common.

On the one side the system locks the session by itself if you leave it there for 5 min untouched for security reason.

On the other you have people literally writing some shit they don't understand as superuser on the terminal on a daily basis.

It's actually insane.
>>
>>320872225
The thing is though that outside of Windows 10 every other version has a known EOL date and is past the point where its getting anything other than critical bug fixes.

This is why building up Linux as a gaming platform is important. Otherwise PC gaming will in a few years be just as dead as Amiga gaming is.
>>
>>320872345
You find the same situation with any enthusiast group around an open ecosystem. Car enthusiasts for instance will never arrive at a conclusion for what car company is best and they don't have to because any car from any company will run on the same roads.

Getting Microsoft out of the way and getting games on to open standards so they can easily be played on any platform from any provider will be a good thing.
>>
>>320873029
>Getting Microsoft out of the way and getting games on to open standards so they can easily be played on any platform from any provider will be a good thing.

Yes, yes it will always be, I wont for a second argue against open standards, for example, even if I prefer using windows I still think that any teaching around computers should be done with linux, it's important.
>>
>>320870158
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
>>
>>320863390
>In my 21 years of PC gaming?
Here's my day went, fresh install on new hardware, I fucking spent a few hours trying to fix some weird hardware compatibility errors that my event viewer throws at me even if I already installed and updated everything! this errors can rob you of CPU and GPU cycles, sad thing is I have to let go other bugs/errors and wait for a vendor patch. then I spent another hour or two optimizing other stuff (turning off some services and shits that you'll never need that M$ thinks it's vital for your user experience) and fixing any network compatibility errors. then I tested everything for stability even though I'm not going to OC yet since it's new hardware. oh look my son already finish all three uncharted games on his stupid console and I'm still not playing any shit because I've haven't decided on what games that I should install because my preference are highly dependent on how much performance issues and driver overhead I have to put up with. also fuck you M$ and Nvidia gameworks.
>>
>>320872369
see >>320872225
>>
ITT: baby duck syndrome
>>
>>320863390
i'd rather be able to game on freebsd teebeeeych
>>
>>320872798
I agree, but don't go sperging about how linux is more user friendly than window as it is right now.
>>
>>320873793
or openbsd im sorry im fucking tired right now
>>
>>320863390
Fuck no but linux is also a pita

We need a dedicated gaming OS that supports DX and Vulkan but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oh wait thats windows 10
>>
>>320865916
Yep they dont fucked up!
>>
>>320871176
forgot to type sudo a lot huh?

just type "sudo !!", !! executes last command
>>
>>320873809
But is it.
>>
>>320866913
M$ got jealous with Google and Facebook on the data they mine and how much they earn on that data, second that backdoor is mandated by the NSA and third your government already already approved CISA and your stupid president didn't even vetoed it.
>>
>>320874503
Only someone really disconnected from the outside world can believe this.
>>
>>320871176
I have never understood the obsession with recursive acronyms either.

Nerd humour is the fucking worst
>>
>>320873940
I wouldn't consider Windows 10 to be a dedicated gaming OS. Its too unreliable when Microsoft can force an upgrade at any time, or use your internet bandwidth without authorization to download or upload data.
>>
>>320874771
My mother, father and employers are having no issues with it, none of them are tech savvy. After the first week of teething issues any installation has, I've had a lot less tech support to deal with than with all our Windows installations and they adapted to it in a mere two weeks.

That being said no OS is without issues and how easy it is really comes down to how easily they can access someone to help them. Windows market share means help is always around the corner and the only reason their migration to Linux went off without a hitch is because I was around the help them through those first two weeks.

I only migrated them onto Linux because on a day-to-day basis it's genuinely more reliable and problems can be fixed permanently. As a tech support guy that means a lot less work for me and happier clients overall.
>>
>>320876335
This is why so many people now happily use Linux on non-traditional devices without any problems.
>>
>>320873684
fixing things on windows 10 is different to windows 8, that's solved by googling the problem and windows 10. how hard is it to search problem + ubuntu?
>>
>>320876625
Its simple, you google the problem plus Ubuntu and the version of Ubuntu you're using which should for most users be the latest long term support version.
>>
>>320876625
Easy most of the time, but once in a while you comes past a problem that isn't covered by Ubuntu's community and involves translating the solution from other distributions. That's when things get a bit tricky and you might need someone to help you.
>>
>>320876335
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

>>320876625
The problem isn't exclusive to distributions but also due to the fact Linux has a huge amount of configurations (a lot of you don't want to mess with). More popular distros are usually easier to fix but try installing something a bit more obscure and you'll see.
>>
>>320868064
this is why they don't. right?
CS, L4D and other games except DOTA2, TF2 and Portal are outsourced.
DOTA2 and Portal 1\2 are team bough and rebraded as Valve.
TF2 is Valve.

They make 450million $ off hats in TF2. They don't need new games. They talk about openness and choice and criticize other companies for doing same sit they do.

Right now Valve strategy is to have their greasy fingers in everything, so they can expand and take hold, while simultaneously spending as little resources on everything.
>>
>>320877164
Non-computer enthusiasts are going to run the more mainstream distributions that are designed for them to use. Stuff like Android, ChromeOS, SteamOS and Ubuntu. Those all usually do a good job of hiding the underlying system from the user.
>>
>>320877164
>The problem isn't exclusive to distributions but also due to the fact Linux has a huge amount of configurations (a lot of you don't want to mess with). More popular distros are usually easier to fix but try installing something a bit more obscure and you'll see.
They should probably stick to ubuntu then.
>>
>>320877164
How is it anecdotal when I explained why it went so smoothly? From their perspective all the apps they wanted are working and it feels like Windows, but that only happened after I hooked them up with all the software they needed and modified KDE to be more familiar to them.

The hardest part about using Linux is finding which software to use and doing that initial tweaking it to your liking when you first set it up. Windows users don't have to deal with choices like that, they have a single desktop forced onto them and everyone they talk to will tell them the software they use. In Linux you have choice and without experience it's impossible to know which one will work best for you.

Most distributions provide terrible defaults for users migrating from Windows and that's where most of the grief comes from...
>>
>>320877536
>>320877612
>where is Word?
>where is my internet button?
>why can't I install this program I downloaded?
>why doesn't my favorite game work?
Linux has literally no advantage for non-savvy people.

>Android
Only uses the kernel, but it's proof Linux can work if consistency is applied, which is the problem with Linux distros.
>>
>>320877179
When you work for a company, you're part of what makes that company up and any work you do can be said to be by that company. So when Valve hires a team of people to make a game with them they're part of Valve.
>>
>>320878118
>Most distributions provide terrible defaults for users migrating from Windows and that's where most of the grief comes from...
There are different schools of thought on what's best for users who are migrating. I tend to fall into the camp of thinking that a bit of culture shock is a good thing at least for users who are interested in switching as something new. So in my mind a KDE distro set up to emulate Windows isn't the best thing because that leads to unrealistic expectations. I'd prefer to hand a new user something like Xubuntu or Elementary just familiar enough to not be frightening, but just enough difference to remind the user that this isn't Windows.

>Linux has literally no advantage for non-savvy people.
I disagree, a distro like ChromeOS has a number of advantages for non-savy users specifically because it avoids many of those problems.
>>
>>320878198
>small team making a game. give them money, in exchange they become part of your company
This is what's called investment. Only difference, that instead of only funding games and letting the team go on their marry way, valve is buying these teams out.
They're making investments, they don't develop games.
DOTA is not even a new IP.
>>
>>320878767
What's wrong with hiring a team that you know works well together instead of hiring random people and shoving them together? Movie studios hire groups of people proven to work well together and farm work out all the time and nobody considers that to be strange. Its just a fact of the industry today.
>>
>>320878725
A bit of shock is inevitable but a change in conventions doesn't mean it's any better. In KDE I only need to tweak a few things like disabling file transfer notifications, enabling double-click and removing selection markers in dolphin.
>>
>>320863390
I hate it. Ready to jump ship to linux after windows 7 end of life.

I'll just dual boot if I have to, but more likely most of the games I'll want to play will be available on linux natively anyways.
>>
>>320879374
That's just my problem with KDE in general, no sane presets or predefined modes of operation. It can be set to mostly fake this system or that system but it doesn't really try to define its own workflow.

But then that's why I use Gnome 3. I generally wouldn't recommend it to a new user.
>>
>>320878118
It's anedoctal because you're basing your entire argument on your personal experiences.
>>
>>320878725
>I disagree, a distro like ChromeOS has a number of advantages for non-savy users specifically because it avoids many of those problems.
Over Windows or even OSX? Not really.
>>
I just wish the conversion layer to OpenGL would get some love. That would make all old games work without Windows.

And save a lot of time on conversions for others too.
>>
>>320877179
>Dota 2 team
Try harder, faggot.
>>
>>320879638
And you're basing yours on what exactly?

My experience tells me exactly what users struggle with when migrating to Linux, but I also know that not all those problems are due to software. A big part of the user experience on any open platform is the support they need and where they can get it.

Windows doesn't need to worry about support because it dominates the industry, Apple added support at their retail stores, Google has enough presence with Android and ChromeOS stripped away anything the user could mess up. But with Linux? Good luck because you're on your own.
>>
>>320880538
brb, starting my own linux install and desktop IT call desk business
>>
>>320879731
For the sort of user who can't be trusted to properly use Windows or OS X? ChromeOS has been a dream, it just works and they can't fuck it up. The amount of time I have to spend on the phone with relatives fixing their shit has decreased dramatically except for the few who simply will not take my advice and still insist on running Windows.

I'm ok with people using Windows if they have a need to do so and are capable of supporting themselves with it, but if I have to explain to you how to access your email or how to copy a file then you shouldn't be using a full fledged OS and a intentionally limited environment is for the best.
>>
>>320880789
Red Hat and Cannonical beat you to it. Google did too, but people like pretending that ChromeOS isn't just a locked down Gentoo.
>>
File: 370-vs-760-fallout3-wine.png (15 KB, 605x340) Image search: [Google]
370-vs-760-fallout3-wine.png
15 KB, 605x340
>>320880035
Virtual Programming, Feral, and Valve are hopefully all working on getting their conversion tools adapted to produce Vulkan and SPIR-V bytecode instead of GL and GLSL.

For runtime compatibility layers hopefully we see more work go into Gallium specifically getting it working on top of Vulkan so that a hardware agnostic version of Gallium Nine, and Gallium based OpenGL support could be provided. Not having a bunch of different things to support in Mesa would help it a lot.
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.