[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most memorable boss encounter in the souls series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 11
File: gaping-dragon-large.jpg (71 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
gaping-dragon-large.jpg
71 KB, 600x338
What is the most memorable boss encounter in the souls series? My vote goes for the gaping dragon. The design and scale is so fucking intimidating that I panicked and died to it several times, even though it is a fairly simple and easy boss
>>
>>320858621
Artorias. I'm just soo fucking gay for him.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (82 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
82 KB, 1280x720
i'm a manbaby who won't be able to decide on the franchise as a whole but game by game for me would go like:

Demon's Souls - Old King Allant, runner-up: Maneaters

Dark Souls - Four Kings, runner-up Artorias

Dark Souls II - Darkluker, runner-up Burnt Ivory-King

Bloodborne - Ebrietas, runner-up Lady Maria
>>
>>320860728
How do you deal with Four Kings on NG+7?
>>
File: 1438441438493.jpg (960 KB, 1240x1754) Image search: [Google]
1438441438493.jpg
960 KB, 1240x1754
>>320858621
Memorable boss but somewhat disappointing fight

>>320860098
And yet I still fucking love Arty
>>
>>320861152
You stop for a moment and think about why you're autistic enough to play through NG7 in that shitty boring game
>>
Artorias, Ornstein and Smough, Lost Sinner, Burnt Ivory King, Vicar Amelia, Ludwig

>>320861178
>>320860728
I like the fan theory that Burn Ivory King is Artorias reincarnated
>>
>>320861471
It wouldn't surprise me seeing as how DaS2's whole thing is that nothing ever really progresses, the same things happen over and over just with a new coat of paint. Though I'd be more inclined to believe that Raime is Artorias's counterpart
>>
>>320858621
Probably Manus for me. When you walk into the fog gate and that giant hand that brought you to the dlc grabbed you, that was so hype. The boss fight was actually hard as well.
>>
>>320861152
I hit them with my axe; then I dodge their attacks via running and dodging.
Repeat
>>
>>320861640
> DaS2's whole thing is that nothing ever really progresses

Didnt really fit with the main game very well, felt lazy other than Lost Sinner, I know some people say thats the whole point and DaS2 is all self aware and progressive but I dont buy it. If they somehow made Burnt Ivory King a more prominent figure and linked him to Artorias I think the story would have been far more effective.
>>
File: ludwig_the_holy_blade.jpg (40 KB, 500x670) Image search: [Google]
ludwig_the_holy_blade.jpg
40 KB, 500x670
>that theme
>that dialogue
>that name change
>that no longer a beast-type enemy in phase 2
>that artorias-esk build up in the base game
>>
Gehrman
>>
>>320862173
I mean isn't there some min/max build for max damage? The boss fight is just a DPS check anyway.

>>320861315
It saved my life, anon. I was gonna kill myself and decided that "Prepare to Die Edition" was a good name for my last send off game. It turned out so good it made want to live again. It's all I play. I have 400 hours combined with all 10 classes. 400 hours in DaS2 + SotFS and 200 hours in DeS. I don't have anything better to do with my life.
>>
>>320862864
The whole of Dark Souls 2 was basically failed potential. If they were going to do a Dark Souls 2 then it should've been about the Age of Dark since based on DaS1 it was coming regardless of what you did at the Kiln of the First Flame. But they couldn't think of what an Age of Dark would look like so they just did the Age of Fire...except with humans. Then the game says that it's going to be about the Curse but they couldn't think of anything to tell us about the Curse that we didn't already know so instead it got sidetracked with this unrelated tale about a missing King and his gold digging wife. So now we have a game that doesn't seem to have a theme at all until the DLC packs that pretty much go with cementing that things repeat forever and tells us a bunch of stories various kings and how they fell. Which were neat I suppose. Then SotFS comes along and establishes this "we must escape from this cycle of light and dark" thing as if it's destiny itself conspiring to get Undead to keep setting themselves on fire rather than just making an excuse to keep Dark Souls games coming. Especially since the closest thing there was to destiny in the last game was that the Age of Fire is going to end and that wasn't destiny it was just entropy, fire doing what it normally does.

DaS2's biggest failure was its lack of focus from the start and trying to put together a patchwork theme later on.
>>
I really liked Tower Knight in DeS. That was the first time I thought "you have got to be fucking kidding me".

Lady Maria in the BB DLC is an amazing runner up.
>>
>>320861178
>And yet I still fucking love Arty

Arty is the best. I loved him on the cover and he got me to try the game. Best boss fight too. He can stab me with his sword and sprinkle on me abyss sludge any day.
>>
File: arty and orny.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
arty and orny.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>320863745
I just like his design. He's the only one I went out of my way to make a quality build for
>>
>>320863987
That's what I said. I loved his design. My first build was a full on Artorias build with very low Vigor and 50 in almost everything else like Str, Dex, Faith, and Int.

I rushed to get his stuff at the middle of the game. First thing I did once I got a hint I could. Sanctuary Guardian was hell on a low level character and I wanted that tail cut too.
>>
>>320863987
>>320864319
I also made it a point to defeat him with a greatsword class weapon because I wanted inherit him as the "Greatest Greatsword Wielder"

The story of the DLC where I had an active part in his legacy also rubbed me real good.
>>
File: 1442612274353.jpg (106 KB, 1600x969) Image search: [Google]
1442612274353.jpg
106 KB, 1600x969
>>320864821
A lot of people give Arty shit for losing to the Abyss but really no one could defeat the Abyss. Artorias was gimped and he still made it very far in. And pound for pound his equipment is one of the strongest in the game. And when Artorias fell everyone in Oolicile threw up their hands and pretty much said "well if Artorias couldn't do it then it's impossible."

>Greatest Greatsword Wielder

Just to illustrate how much that quote means, Gwyn the Great Lord and leader of the gods is also a Greatsword wielder. Artorias in his prime was insanely strong. But he only has one life to gamble with. You have an infinite supply of them so you can die as many times as it takes to get it right.
>>
>>320865285
>Artorias in his prime was insanely strong
And still no matter how big your sword is or how fast you can swing it you still can't fight darkness itself. Really tragic.
>>
Ornstein and Smough

Artorias didn't have the same impact for me.
>>
>burnt Ivory King is artorias reincarnation
Stop with this garbage, nothing in DaS2 is a reincarnation. Even the bosses like the Old Iron King, the Lost Sinner, etc had nothing to do with Gwyn, the witch of Izalith, etc. They just came across their souls after their deaths.

The most memorable bosses are:
DeS: False King
DaS: Ornstein and Smough
DaS2: Sinh
Bloodborne: Gehrman
>>
>>320865734
Well that's kind of DaS1 in a nutshell, at the end of the day you can't fight fate or nature. You can influence it but things that are going to happen are going to happen. The Witch of Izalith attempted to relight the Flame and the only thing she did was create Hell with demons to go along with it. And Gwyn's power was so nuts that he could support an entire world with it. By himself. With only a fraction of said power. But even he couldn't do it forever.

Speaking of that the gods are kind of shitty for that. Because before Gwyn marched to the Kiln he gave them all shards of his soul and ordered them to shepherd the humans to defend against the Dark Lord. But after he "died" they all jumped ship. Even Gwynevere. Gwyndolin was the only one who stayed and Gwyn didn't even like him.
>>
>>320858621
vagina monster
>>
File: 1424215034437.jpg (105 KB, 650x856) Image search: [Google]
1424215034437.jpg
105 KB, 650x856
>>320860098
Me too, as a character I like him a lot, which compared to how much focus he gets in the game makes it ridiculous
The 4 Knights are cool dudes and I hope that at the very least all their armours are in DaS3
>>
>>320866064
>DaS2: Sinh
Good taste.

I think Raime/Fume knight was supposed to be that game's "Artorias" which I kinda find offensive, not that the fight itself wasn't good.
>>
>>320861315
damn, and here I am at my NG11... at least (I don't remember well, I lost the count)
>>
>>320866290
I really wish Ornstein got a cameo in AotA
>>
File: 1422292759347.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1422292759347.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>try go back and 100% DaS1 due to DaS3 coming out soon and the fact that it has steamworks now
>tfw all this fucking grinding to get all the weapons and those max upgrades
who thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>320866297
They are kinda different though, Artorias was supposed to be a noble hero who failed in his quest and we have to put him down, while Raime was just an asshole in pursuit of power after his defeat to Velstadt.
>>
File: 1426467965015.png (66 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1426467965015.png
66 KB, 480x640
>>320866362
Why not just start a new save and try a different build? I think my original save is only just out of the asylum in NG+, and I have 8 other saves (though a couple are hacked saves for PvP)
>>
>>320866708
>all this fucking grinding

I grinded out a Slab from those Darkwraith fucks because I went full autismo my first run and wanted to upgrade my epic 0 poise Wanderer set to +10

Never again.

Still not as bad as grinding Pure Bladestone. I still haven't done that.
>>
>>320866772
They are, I just meant that they took some cues on his armor design and role wise he used to wield The Majestic Greatsword.

So he is the one linked most to Artorias in Dark Souls 2.
>>
File: maria.png (2 MB, 1920x898) Image search: [Google]
maria.png
2 MB, 1920x898
http://strawpoll.me/6312638
>>
>>320867313
That's like choosing between Biorr and his brother.
>>
>>320867078
Not him but I do. I have a character from each class. Had to delete some old ones because hur-dur only 10 character slots allowed.

I'm on NG+5 with my main character that I have the most hours on. Somewhere like 340.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.