[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any real benefits by using SSDs for gaming? Or is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
Are there any real benefits by using SSDs for gaming? Or is it just to decrease load times?
>>
games simply arent programmed to untilized a SSD.
>>
>>320843186
The latter.
>>
I'll post in this thread since someone might know

what HDD would be best to get now if I wanted 1 or 2TB of extra storage? I keep wanting to buy one and recent reviews are 1 star saying the drive keeps dying right after warranty ends.
>>
depends on the game

most of them are designed around the idea you have a slow hard drive with unstable speeds (other applications may be using), they'll try to cache-ahead and prepare for what you'll be seeing/doing next

SSD may help in some games that handle that badly resulting in occasional stutter or plain loading screens
>>
Supposedly helps a lot with texture streaming in wolfenstein. Personally I rank SSDs with mechanical keyboards in gaming snake oil.

Fucking fantastic for virtual machines though
>>
>>320843342
Western Digital are probably the best, I never had one dying on me and I had several. If you want it just for storage and want to save some money Greens would do nicely, but you can buy Blue or Blacks for extra speed if money isn't an issue.
>>
>Or is it just to decrease load times?
Pretty much. In games like GTA V which are 60GB~ size
it actually seems to help with texture pop in and overall asset loading times.
It will take some time before games can fully use the capabilities of SSD.
>>
>>320843342

WD black or blue. Careful about the blues, they started rebranding their shitty green drives into blues as well.
>>
>>320843186
Texture load times may improve, too.
>>320843342
I had 2 1TB western digital blacks that lasted about 5 years. I replaced them before they had the chance to die, but they were chugging. I have the same now, though. I'd argue it's better to get multiple 1TB drives than just one big one.
>>
>>320843342
WD black, AFAIK. That might hav changed though
>>
Whatever you do, still get a SSD for everything else.

Use it for gaming when you happen to have the space and a game has issues on your regular slow storage drive (stutter/pop-in/loading/etc..)
>>
>>320843654

I've got a WD Black drive as the main drive in my rig and it has been going strong with not one complaint since... 2008? Shit, I forget when I first built this thing.
>>
>>320843342
HGST deathstar master race

Seagate can go suck a dick

WD is okay as long as the drive has no connection to the old green models
>>
>>320843186
they can make a difference in large open world games where the level is streamed in on the fly as opposed to stopping and loading, so stuff like fallout, elder scrolls and gta to name a few can benefit from a decent ssd
>>
>>320843342
>always see people talking shit about Seagate drives
>have my 500GB Barracuda for 7 years or so
>drive still works perfectly without any issues
>despite being Sata 2 it's my main drive for games and everything works just fine
>have GTA V and MGSV installed on that drive and both work without loading issues

I wouldn't listen to /v/ to be honest, better ask that somewhere else.
>>
>>320843884
FO4 load times are excruciatingly bad even on SSDs.
>>
>>320843972
it probably limits itself

lot of games could use more ram to pre-process/uncompress/cache the data it reads, but they don't opt for using the bare minimum even if you have 32GB -- then no matter how fast it reads from the ssd or even a ramdisk, the data still need some time before it can be used
>>
If it's a game that's constantly fetching from the drive (MMOs, open world), SSD will benefit heavily.

Everything else, not so much.
>>
From what I have seen with my SSD:

>Helps with pop-up. Fallout 4 was really slow with loading textures on my HDD and would sometimes take up to 10 seconds to fully load something. On my SSD, the issues went away and I never saw it again.
>Helps with load times in a lot of titles.
>Sometimes helps with stutter. I've seen a few games perform better from just being on a SSD. Not everything, but it does help.

To be fair, it seems to be a lot more recent titles that have actual benefits from SSD compared to older titles. I am actually considering getting a second SSD for just loading whatever I am playing at the time.
>>
>>320843972
i5 6600, 8gb ddr4 + ssd here and I got no trouble, 2-3 secs to load an internal area and never noticed any lag or texture popin in the world map...maybe its time for an upgrade anon
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (112 KB, 1919x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
112 KB, 1919x1080
I think it's the right time to ask but how the fuck do I install this shit? I was thinking of buying an 850 pro but then I saw Samsung released the 950 pro, and it's much better, but I have no idea how does this shit work, do I put it into one of the PCI Express ports? If yes how? This is confusing.
>>
>>320843186
>decrease load times
>not a real benefit
>>
>>320844464
It says on the box, you need an M.2 slot. Look it up.
>>
>>320843972

It's gotten a lot better if you play with mods and use

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

instead of the old way of enabling mods
>>
>>320844464
Put it in a vacant RAM slot.
>>
>>320844259
It's not surprising that more recent games would do well on SSD

Many probably get developed on SSD in the first place nowadays (it's faster to work on, and they can afford them all they want), then when they test the game on a HDD they realize it doesn't work so well and do the bare minimum to make it work.

Rather than real benefits, it's more like a solution to their poor data streaming handling though. Just like how games that don't look better than a 2007 game needs 980ti to run well
>>
>>320844542
And how do I know if my MB has that slot? I can't tell by looking it up, my MB is GA-H77-DS3H.
>>
What's wrong with Seagate? I've had mine for almost a decade by now. I just ordered a new build and got a 1TB Barracuda.
>>
>>320843972
>loading function tied to framerate
quality programming by quality software engineers
>>
>>320844684
The M.2 slot typically looks like this. Honestly, it is newer tech and not a lot of motherboards have it yet.
>>
>>320844797
shit son, two of em?
that's hot
>>
>>320844750
>decade
that's the problem, old seagate was good

current seagate, not so much -- I wouldn't use their recent drives for anything but occasional backups
>>
>>320843972
That's partially because the game doesn't even load. It just displays a Loading screen, even if it's done.
>>
>>320844750
Some people had bad experiences with it I guess, but I had several Seagate drives and never had issues, the only brand I ever had issues with was Hitachi.
>>
>>320843950
Just because you got the one Seagate drive from the batch to not burn out in three years does not meant that every other person is wrong. Especially when everyone else is recommending the exact same thing.
>>
>>320844797
And M.2 is shit since there's several variants of input standards for it, and they cost more in general than an SSD. They have zero use outside of perhaps laptops using them inplace of a traditional drive to be more slim or some shit.
>>
>>320844464
You'll need a compatible Board for that.
You know, Z97 boards have m.2 slots, however you need to check what kind of m.2 slot it has, since it can limit the power of the second PCI-E Slot.
M.2 Sticks are pretty great, even better when they actually get to the speed of pci-e slots.
>>
Don't get an SSD for gaming, get it because it's better for running your PC than a HDD is.
>>
>>320844750
The newer seagate drives is like russian roulette
>>
>>320843532
I can literally be more than five turns into a civgame when my friend is finished loading the game. Also, it's so quit. I only got ssd-storage, and every game takes maximum 7-8 seconds to load. Helps in shut games like Skyrim and Skyrim with guns 4 where every door and such needs loading. I literally dont have time to read a single word from the loading screen.
>>
Games installed on my SSD certainly loaded faster but the problem was since i cant fit all my games on there the games installed on my HDD sudenly started taking fucking ages to load, the textures are taking much longer to load, in random points where there wasn't loading screens before there is now loading screens and they're really long. But none of that happens if I boot to my HDD. Kinda makes me never want to use m SSD
>>
>>320843186
>is there any benefit to using this other than this benefit
>>
>>320843342
currently enjoying my HGST deskstar here after my old seagate barracuda and WD green fucked up
>>
File: t.jpg (23 KB, 925x188) Image search: [Google]
t.jpg
23 KB, 925x188
>>320845230
Warm memo that this lists nothing of the 1GB and less drives which are most of the market
>>
>>320845230
That's biased as fuck.
>>
>>320845135
Quiet*
Shit game*

On mobile
>>
>>320845376
>1GB
1995 called, they want their drives back
>>
>>320844684
No.

http://motherboards.specout.com/compare/1216-3477/GIGABYTE-GA-H77-DS3H-rev-1-0-vs-GIGABYTE-GA-H97-D3H
>>
It's great for Windows, but I haven't noticed a huge difference in games. Except for shitty ports like Batman, it helped with the stuttering.

Seems like 10-15% faster load times AT MOST on *some* games. A good HDD is fast enough.
>>
>>320845534
>> >>320843342
Reply line and all
>>
I don't know if they really help for gaming but holy shiy do they help for everything else.

Windows boots up in 3 seconds (literally) on my SSD.
>>
HDD guy here, thanks for all the suggestions

I'm using a barracuda for 3+ years and it hasn't shown any death signs yet but after 3 years is when all the reviews said it would die

WD black seems to be as expensive as 2 WD blues put together, but I guess they're the most trustworthy of the lot

SSD's aren't infamous for their failure rates, so I was planning on getting a small one to put OS and essential programs on them, and an extra HDD to put all the shit I need from my existing HDDs and reformat them for a fresh start.

WD Blue is suspiciously cheap compared to all others, so I'm gonna guess the failure-prone Greens are among those.
>>
>>320845230
>bought a Hitachi drive once
>store sent me a Seagate instead
>asked why
>no Hitachi on stock anymore
>ask if I can refund it
>no because it's basically the same product

It's been 3 years and my Seagate drive is still working well but shit like that makes me mad.
>>
It gets ride of micro-stuttering in open world type games.
>>
>>320845970
>hitachi
you probably lucked out actually, the older hitachi was worse than seagate -- even had the whole "deathstar" meme going on
>>
A warning to potential buyers of M.2 hard drives: for my computer with a Samsung M190 or some shit like that can't remember, Windows 7 fails to boot occasionally. Not much of an issue, just giving fair warning.
>>
>>320845970
I had a similar thing happen like a year ago

store gave me a fucking WD _green_ of all things

thankfully they took it back and gave me my HGST a week later

this HGST is strange though, smart data is reporting it's an enterprise model.. it's supposed to be a regular low cost deskstar.. not that I'm complaining
>>
>>320845857
SSD are god tier if you do any video capture/encoding too.

The only difference I notice in games is shorter load times.
>>
>>320845958
WD Black is intended for power use. This is what your storage drive should be.

WD Blue is for archival use. This is what your Backups should be on.

WD Green were energy efficient drives not really good for anything.

WD Reds are for constant low impact use. Use these if you build a server.
>>
>>320845857
What SSD do you have? I just got an 850 evo. It's a lot faster than my old hard drive but it's not THAT fast.
>>
>>320846460
>tfw your WD green is reporting 1.4 million load/cycle count while your other drives are sub-300
I switched it to backup-only use and it spins only once a day with idle3 timer disabled (partial docking every 8 secs? is this drive crazy), hopefully will live
>>
>>320843186
>Or is it just to decrease load times?
you might not think you want this but you do. Shorter load times are enough to make it worth the money

and its not just about games, your OS loading in a few seconds is too nice to overstate
>>
>>320846664
The 850 evo is the budget choice, if you want power go with something like 850 pro, 950 pro or SanDisk Extreme PRO. Intel SSDs used to be blazing fast too but their recent models are really lacking.
>>
Had anyone ever had a HDD or SSD crash or fail?
I've been a PC guy since 95 and have never had it happen to me unless it came bad or I fucked it up.

My 5 year old Seagate Barracuda and 2 year old Samsung 840 Evo both still going strong.
>>
Kingston are the worst. Don't buy their SSDs

Load times cut an incredible amount and helps with in game loading (avoiding popin etc)
>>
You don't use an SSD for games, you use it to keep Windows and other not-vidya software on it so that you can dedicate a bigass WD Black with giant clusters purely for games, reducing the overhead encountered by having a single HDD pulling double-duty for both the OS and any given game
>>
>>320843862
Are the WD Green 2tb drives from the last year bad, or does that reputation only apply to the old ones?
>>
>>320843950
I remember a study that showed Seagate having the highest failure rate out of any company. So there you go.
>>
>>320846906
Ahhh. I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably get another soon.
>>
>>320846972
Yeah but I bet it's still something like 10%, either way when you have an issue with a drive it's usually bad luck, Seagate sell millions of drives every year and only a few thousands reports failures.
>>
>>320846957
IDK but I have had my 1TB WD Green for 5 years with 0 issues.
>>
>>320846928
Wouldn't just having another SSD for games be faster?
>>
>>320847284
Yes.
>>
I have a Seagate 320GB from 2005 still working. Its loud as fuck but its works perfect.
>>
>>320846915
I've had computers since 1992 and never had a hdd fail -- I always keep daily backups anyway, I'm ready if it does happen

I did have one 60GB hdd with a lot of bad sectors, but that's kinda because I dropped it on the floor -- I used it only for backups

I did have a ssd "fail" though, it was an old one affected by the some power-on hours bug (forgot when it triggered, 2k or something) -- however a firmware update fixed the issue -- still using it today with 28k hours power on time and plenty of life left

my WD green from >>320846786 is kinda worrying me though, but the way I use it now, I doubt it'll die

also have a seagate that gives a lot self-corrected errors and runs very hot unless I give it a fan, still works but I stopped using it -- was getting too small anyway (300GB)
>>
>>320846664
I'll give you a hint that will help you a lot, install Samsung Magician and enable Rapid Mode, it'll still not turn your SSD into a PRO one but it should at least double your speeds. Not many people know this is a thing for Samsung SSDs.
>>
File: 1450022941604.jpg (152 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
1450022941604.jpg
152 KB, 640x720
I have an SSD for Windows and online games where loadtimes can matter; or if I just want to show off at the loading screen when I'm ready before anyone else hits 30%.

Beyond that, I have a few TBs on classic drives for all my other games.
>>
Used to take me roughly 2 minutes to load the menus alone on DCS, now it takes like <10 seconds.
>>
>>320847508
you would've had a million hdds fail if you didn't keep backups
>>
>>320847284
For some games, there's a benefit, but for the rest, not really enough to justify the SSD price premium when you hit 1TB sizes, I've only ever noticed a speedup in Dark Souls, and this is when I was using almost a gig of textures. A GPT-partitioned Black with a 64k cluster size will be more than enough of a performance gain without having to drop $500 on a giant SSD
>>
so I remember people telling me it was better to buy 2 1 tb hard drives instead of one 2tb because of the high failure rate and safety knowing if one goes I still have the other. Has that been improved or is 1 tb still the way to go
>>
>>320847904
Do you mean if the failure rates for bigger drives is still a thing? If yes it is, and will always be because of how HDs are even designed.
>>
>>320847904
You're thinking of 2.5TB and 3TB drives, no manufacturer was capable of making any drive those sizes last for a while
>>
>>320848123
I mean they were saying it was just not worth it at the time, have they improved at all.
>>
Is Samsung Pro worth the premium or should I go with normal 850?
>>
Don't know where to ask this. I don't play games. Never did.
The only thing i did play was this fps from like 20 years ago.
But why not try? Make some friends, have fun, and not feel so empty anymore.
So i just installed steam for the first time. I have enough money to buy whatever.

My question is, what games do the cool kids play these days?
Is there anything i need to know before using steam?
>>
>>320848238
yes it's worth it
>>
File: 563456.jpg (224 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
563456.jpg
224 KB, 2560x1440
>>320843186
It doesn't improve FPS but it will improve frame times and stuttering. I saw a vast improvement playing witcher 3 on an SSD over a HDD. For example when I would fast travel to the middle of the city in novigrad, it would stutter for a few seconds until all the textures loaded, not on an SSD.

Basically if you have a good cpu/gpu/ram, why would you let a HDD bottleneck your system.
>>
>>320847904
2TB is pretty much the new standard that's mostly proven -- and doesn't cost much more than 1TB, 2.5-4TB are the "big" ones
>>
I have nothing worth making backup for, all my important documents and stuff is on my dropbox, all my Steam games can be reinstalled, all the music I hear is on Youtube. Why is having an HD fail such a nightmare for some people?
>>
>>320848305
>play game on your SSD and never tried it on hdd
>browse forums
>see people complaining about stuttering everywhere
>wonder what the fuck they are on about
>>
Fallout 4 takes 1minute to 40 secs everytime you enter a new area or FT.
Fallout 4 takes 10-20 secs on an SSD when you do the same
>>
>>320843186
>DAMN, look at these loading times!

>shit, can't skip the studio and publisher screens.

>oh I have to wait for the other guys to load.
>>
>>320848553
>shit, can't skip the studio and publisher screens.
Welcome to PCs, either rename or delete the files.
>>
>>320843186
Fallout 4 takes me 2 minutes to load the game on HDD and 17 seconds on SSD, so that's the real benefit for me, load times are really the worse thing in games honestly, I sometimes dread playing a game because of long load times.
>>
>>320843532

I agree with you so far as gaming is concerned but it's really nice to have an ssd boot drive at the very least. That's just a general quality of life thing, though.

I put a couple games on my ssd that I always leave installed, but because.

I totally agree with you on keyboards, though. A mechanical was the biggest $250 waste I have ever made. At least it looks really cool.
>>
an SSD even running on my old SATA II port is the best investment on an extra piece of hardware I ever made.
>>
>>320848609
on consoles, sure glad for PS4 now doing like handhelds and having a suspend mode -- typically finish games without booting them more than once even over the course of an entire month, so logos and long booting sequences is just a 1-time thing

can do that on PCs too, but so many things get confused as fuck and not designed with standby features in mind -- nor do I want to leave a game on all the time if I use it for other things
>>
>>320848274

>/reddit/
>>
>>320848906
it's worth it for read access times alone which is typically the biggest issue for stuttering/pauses/etc..., which you get even from a slow port -- not to mention rendering fragmentation issues 100% irrelevant
>>
So I got an order pending with a 1TB Barracuda, should I change it to a WD Black which is 30€ more expensive?
>>
>>320849175
what do you plan to use it for?

if it's for active storage, yes

if it's for the OS, switch that to a SSD

if it's for backups, then you're good
>>
>>320849135
My brother was messing with my PC once and for some reason the dumb fuck decided to defrag my SSD, I wonder how much life it lost that day.
>>
>>320849175
>Black
Don't waste money on that meme. Red is good enough.
>>
>>320849274
I got an SSD for OS, it's for games and my music
>>
>>320849320
you mean windows actually even let you do that? You'd think it could auto-detect that and tell you to fuck off

I use linux so I wouldn't know
>>
>>320844161
'cuz god forbid you iron out performance for both low end market scrubs and some actual horse power with 32GB RAM on board, or else it might mean another weekend of bug hunting for testers.
>>
>>320849382
I don't know if you can do it with the default windows defrag tool but I have defraggler installed on my PC and even though it does recognize it's an SSD it lets you defrag it anyway.
>>
>>320849356
then I'd go with a wd red/black or a hgst instead

current seagate is far too unproven with its current poor history
>>
>>320849525
>Having a defrag tool outside of the default defrag tool
For what purpose?
>>
>>320849343
>Red

are you fucking retarded you stupid idiot? reds are 5400 rpm drives you stuipd nigger and are only used for storage
>>
>>320843950
My barracuda bricked itself in under a year, had a wd blue that lasted me 6 years after that
>>
>>320849738
>Only used for storage
Exactly you fucktard.
>>
>>320849731
Because I use it to defrag my other discs and it's much better and faster than the default one.
>>
Just bought a HGST 4TB drive. How did I do?
>>
>>320849320
The whole DEFRAGGING KILLS SSD'S thing is an ancient holdover from when they were fragile as fuck in the pre-Sandforce era, and you wanted to avoid as many random reads and writes as possible, the most that'll happen is you add around 5 or 10 GB-worth of use to it, but that's it. Modern SSD's are made to last for at least 500-600TB-worth of use

There's an SSD-centric defrag in Mydefrag or O&O called consolidate free space last time I checked, and it's fine to use without issue
>>
What are WD Purple drives used for? I can get a 1TB for really cheap but I have no idea if it's good.
>>
>>320849840
Where the fuck did he said that he needs a storage drive you stupid nigger?
>>
>>320849959
I have one too, mine is certainly doing well but it's just a year old
>>
>>320843532
It's not really snake oil it's just that people buy things for the wrong reasons.
No an SSD will not increase your FPS, yes it will decrease load times and won't cause load issues if some mildly disk intensive program runs in the background.
No a mechanical keyboard will not make you better, yes it will feel nice to type on and be of higher quality. Key rollover is only an issue if you're using an absolutely terrible keyboard but the thing about mechanicals is that none of them are absolutely terrible.
>>
>>320850036
What else would he fucking need?
People still use HDD for OS?
>>
>>320850035
It's in the Red and Yellow family of NAS and recording drives where high endurance and reliability under constant writes are more important than speed
>>
>>320849738
>>320849840
I'd be using it for games mainly so I figure it'd be better to be 7200rpm
>>
Can someone explain to me what 3D V-Nand is? I have no idea all I heard is that it's add up to the lifetime of the SSD.
>>
>>320850185
>tfw all consoles still ship with a 5400rpm hdd and run games off it
>>
>>320843186
Just decrease loadtimes, and if you're playing batman arkham knight it is good for accessing memory pool.
>>
File: Backblaze-2015.jpg (35 KB, 500x521) Image search: [Google]
Backblaze-2015.jpg
35 KB, 500x521
>>320843342
If you can afford one HGST make the most reliable drives. WD is pretty good too. Avoid Seagate. Only had drive I've ever had fail on me was a Seagate.
>>
>>320850176
So, it's good?
>>
>>320850251
5400rpm drives are better if you are constantly moving large amount of data in and out of the drive which is what consoles do due to smaller space and constant need to install games.
>>
>>320843950
Got a hitachi that's been running since summer 2007 or even sooner fuck I can't remember. It racked up 5 years of uptime
>>
>>320844464
M.2 slots, newer mobos are coming with that, but it comes with a PCIex adapter.
>>
It can help if you've got an older i7 920 like I do, or if you just generally get stuttering in games.

I put Battlefield 4 and it fixed most all of my stuttering issues. Fun game, gotten alot better since I bought it.
>>
>>320850320
If you're worried about data loss or a dead drive, sure, but they're not really the fastest drives in the world, and tend to be just a step above Blues in terms of performance, so they're not really gonna wow anyone if used as a gaming drive
>>
>>320846915
I've had a couple HDDs shit on me. You're lucky, absolutely nothing compares to the fucking awful sinking feeling you get when your PC hangs on the POST screen with the infamous ticking noise emanating from the now-dead HDD
>>
What is the best SSD price wise?
>>
>>320850429
in and.. out? you mean installing a game from a digital installer toward the same hdd?

PS4 for instance doesn't do that, it runs the download data as-is, that also allow you to run games before they're even finished downloading -- there's no actual install

ultimately there's just a single write for all data
>>
>>320843186
in open world games its great, less stuttering and pop-in
>>
>>320850429
I never saw a 2.5HD running at 7200rpm, and if does exists might be expensive. so this is not the reason that they use 5400rpm drivers.
>>
>>320850696
Lower RPM drives are better if you are constantly moving large amount of datas compared to higher RPM drives which wear out faster.
>>
>>320844797
>all those sata
>>
>>320850670
850 Evo, no constest there. Samsung is leading the SSD market for good reason.
>>
>>320850795
well you're not moving data constantly on consoles
>>
>>320850670
850 Evo, but springing for a Pro is a good way to ensure that you've got a drive that'll last year a good while, just keep in mind that there won't be any new firmware updates for either for a looooooooooooong time
>>
>>320850670
850 Evo or Crucial MX200, i ran both and havent noticed any difference between the two thusfar, so get whichevers cheapest.
>>
it's funny how /v/ have better hardware advice than /g/

and how /g/ have better taste at video games

4chan is weird sometimes
>>
Really stupid question but do I need to put the games in the ssd to get the screen load benefits?
>>
>>320851024
Ricing your autistic tiling wm doesn't count as playing games.
>>
>>320851037
yes you fucktard
>>
>>320850670
850 Evo is really the best budget choice right now, it's reliable, cheap and has the Samsung MGX Controller, aka, the best SSD controller on the market. Enable Rapid Mode with Samsung Magician software for max efficiency and you're golden.
>>
>>320851179
thanks nigger
>>
>>320851037
That really is a stupid question
>>
>>320851037
uh yes...

It still helps when loading system libraries and such even if not on the ssd, but those will typically get cached in RAM anyway

Due to space limitations, you should stick to games that actually have issues running off storage drives. And move/delete games you're no longer playing.
>>
>>320851024
1/2 of /g/ can't play games cause they are running linux
>>
>>320851024
/v/ has better anime discussions than /a/ too

/a/ actually likes video games
>>
>>320851238
No shit you retard
>>
>>320851024
people grow tired when they always talk of the same thing, and become jaded about it (part of why I especially don't want to go on /vg/ who discuss the same fucking game all year long) -- yet don't move to other boards

discussing something different is like a breath of fresh air when it comes
>>
File: 1435015254347.png (393 KB, 749x473) Image search: [Google]
1435015254347.png
393 KB, 749x473
>have a 1TB WD Green from 2009
>21,870+ hours later it's still in pristine condition, SMART info squeaky clean
>meanwhile, the 10 month old 2TB WD Black with 7277 hours is running enough bad sectors to hit a Caution health status
What the fuck?
>>
ssd dont last as long as hdd i wouldnt put any games on an ssd
>>
>>320851214
What is the point of rapid mode?
>>
>all of these consolefags ignoring the benefits of an SSD

dios mio
>>
>>320850873
It's fair to notice that Pro doesn't offer much improvement over the Evo for gaming, and you mostly won't see difference in speeds unless you're moving files all the time. The only real benefit of using Pro in gaming builds is the lifetime warranty, while the Evo is expected to last 5 years the Pro comes with 10 year warranty. But being honest you'll most likely want to get a faster SSD in 5 years so it's not really a big deal.
>>
I use a 1tb HDD dumpster to hold the random videos I pirate, and ssd's for everything else.
>>
>>320851491
Simply untrue for any SSD after the first wave of them.
>>
>>320851491
is this post from 2004 or something?

unless you're actively trying to reduce its life by overwritting its data 24/7, a hdd that may break anytime due to moving parts is far less likely to outlast a ssd

I fucking hate moving parts so much, can't wait till we stop needing fans/pumps/etc... too
>>
>>320851716
Yep. You can accidentally hit your case and cause a platter to rattle and ruin a platter-based drive.
>>
>>320851024
Any board is better doing X than the dedicated board made to discuss X. No exception.
>>
>>320851513
It optimizes the OS for the Samsung SSDs usage, from my experience it doubles the speed of Evo drives and triples the speed of Pro drives in some situations. It's a must if you're using a Samsung SSD, there's really no point in not using it.
>>
>>320851903
I been reading up on it since you mentioned it. Apparently benchmarks say it actually drops the performance of the SSD.

http://superuser.com/questions/742765/is-it-beneficial-to-enable-rapid-mode-on-a-samsung-solid-state-drive
>>
>>320843532
>Snake oil

What the fuck does this even mean? Of fucking course flash memory is faster than a mechanical drive. How is that snake oil?
>>
SSDs are for OS's and big programs. Using them for games will speed up load times significantly (as fast as your processor can handle them) however they're still pretty pricy.

120 gb for $60-80 is still the usual, and games getting bigger and bigger don't help that. I'd recommend a smaller SSD for just the OS and applications (stuff like video editing programs or photoshop) and get a 7200 RPM HDD for everything else. It's still quite faster than using a disc and if you play multiplayer games you'll still have to wait for other players when you get loaded in.
>>
>>320852042
Overall performance is something arbitary though, it doesn't indicate what is being tested. It does increase up sequential read and write siginificantly and that's what you'll most use.
>>
File: c371c04d93[1].png (91 KB, 1332x554) Image search: [Google]
c371c04d93[1].png
91 KB, 1332x554
>>320851469
Seriously, just look at this shit. What a great, reliable replacement that was.

Guess I'll go for a HGST unit next
>>
>>320852608
>159 reallocated sector counts
Time to RMA that drive senpai
>>
>>320852608
Switch from hexidecimal to decimal.
No one wants to read hexidecimal
>>
File: 66212.jpg (119 KB, 668x685) Image search: [Google]
66212.jpg
119 KB, 668x685
Here's my ancient Seagate drive, it's been a year or so showing these cautions but I'm not worried, it's not like I have anything important saved on this drive anyway.
>>
>>320852608
>>320853459
What software?
>>
>>320853459
>>320852608
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
WHY ARE YOU USING HEXIDECIMAL REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>320853550
CrystalDisk Info Shizuku Edition
>>
File: good ol hdd.png (68 KB, 680x686) Image search: [Google]
good ol hdd.png
68 KB, 680x686
>>320853459
>39k hours
Casual
>>
If its just for the system, how long will an SSD last
Some people told me that the relatively cheap ones like from sandisk wont last even an year.
>>
>>320852852
That's not 159 sectors, that's 1225 sectors. Look at the raw value.

>>320853550
CrystalDiskInfo

>>320853574
It's not exactly dark magic, also the Windows calculator has a nifty hex -> dec conversion utility
>>
>>320853650
Those temps though.
>>
>>320853765
This is an old build with a shitty airflow, got a new build ordered
>>
You basically want to put your most frequently used programs and windows on a relatively small SSD, then put everything else on the HDD.

You get most of the performance benefit without blowing loads of money on marginal gain after that.
>>
>>320853735
Years. Often as long or longer than mechanical drives.
>>
File: decimal.png (72 KB, 686x672) Image search: [Google]
decimal.png
72 KB, 686x672
>>320853739
You can make CrystalDiskInfo display values in Decimals like a normal person you know?
>>
>>320853735
Very, very long. The estimated endurance rating is grossly underestimated, most SSDs will do hundreds upon hundreds of TB of writes before croaking and a Samsung 840 Pro was tested to do 2.4 PB. To put it in perspective, that required 18 months of continuous 24/7 writes at full speed to accomplish
>>
>>320853891
Yeah, I figured that out after taking the screenshot. Couldn't be arsed to redo it
>>
>>320853968
Yeah but Im a poor fag so if I get one its going to be a sandisk one
Is it a bad buy or not?
>>
In order to play 2.5D texture based shooters (such as Marathon and Hexen) on modern hardware, you need a solid state drive so that the high resolution remastered textures can load properly.
>>
>>320843972
No, i just switched from hdd to ssd and FO4 had a marked improvement in loading and fetching
>>
>>320854065
Samsung or Kingston or go home
>>
>>320854065
It's still a good purchase, even lower end SSDs are a massive leap in usability
>>
>>320853735
always depends on how you use it, but any recent ssd is more than likely to last a decade -- especially bigger ones

here on linux I feel like this 128GB SSD might outlive me I use it for the system and my /home and it's at something like 13% used in 7 years
>>
>>320854187
>Kingston
>>
>>320852343
You can easily get a 250GB drive for $80.
>>
>>320854187
>Kingston
Also Crucial makes some damn good budget drives
>>
>>320854375
Crucial's SSDs, some of them, anyway, have MLC NAND, while the Evos have TLC, which is supposed to be more reliable, but Evos are apparently faster. If theyre the same price, should i go with faster, or more reliable?
>>
>>320854510
If they're the same price go with Samsung.
>>
>>320850652

I know that feel, bro.
I've had two die on me with my current computer over the last six or so years. The worse part is not being given the time to get anything off of it before it does.
>>
>>320850652
>>320854775
That's why SMART exists, so you can know when a drive is about to fail.
>>
>>320854510
Both will last you a long ass time anyway, either one is a solid pick
>>
>>320854972
SMART don't always work 100%. I had drives just instantly die on me.
>>
>>320854972
SMART can only do you so much, a sudden mechanical problem can just instantly kill the drive with no prior warning whatsoever.
>>
>>320843342
Get either a WD Black or a Seagate Hybrid.

Avoid lower end drives from both companies ESPECIALLY western digital.
>>
>>320852291

What are you, twelve?
>>
>>320854972

As mentioned, SMART didn't help at all.
>>
File: eyes.jpg (63 KB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
eyes.jpg
63 KB, 500x485
>>320844797
>that fucking xfan
>>
>>320849959
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

Bretty good, anon.

>Tfw not Seagate 1.5TB. Tfw not Anthony Burch
>>
>>320856196
ASRock quality, for something they are the shittiest and cheapest motherboards together with MSI, but atleast MSI makes good quality motherboards.
>>
Want a cheap SSD for games?

SanDisk Ultra ll.
Got a bit more?
850 EVO.

Why i didn't notice a huge diference?
Reinstall OS on it.
>>
>>320856198
>bought deskstar 4TB
>but SMART and the model number reports it's a MegaScale (HMS5C4040BLE640)
>bought it in 2014
>Q1: 20% failure for the 4000.B (no idea what the .B means though, same model number)
worry
>>
>>320856971
Well anon, its a 4 platter drive, the fuck did you expect?

HGST is the most reliable brand for 4TB+ nowdays anwyay.
>>
>>320856652
In my country the SanDisk Ultra II is quite a bit more expensive than the 840 Evo.
>>
>>320857068
it's the only one showing 20% though, all the others are 1-2%
>>
>>320857107
Where do you live? i am from mexico and is 20% cheaper.
>>
>>320857167
Brazil.
>>
Dear /v/,

It's okay to buy HDDs larger than 1 or 2 TB now. It's alright. They're safe now. It's not 2010 anymore.

signed,

Someone who isn't a retard.
>>
>>320857382
But what is the point in getting an HD bigger than 1TB anyway? It's not like you'll install 1TB of games.
>>
>>320857382
I got a 1TB external already, 2TB is plenty enough
>>
>>320857512
>tfw your 4TB is getting full
that's like, good enough for you I guess?

certainly not for me
>>
>>320857632
What do you save on the HD anon? Don't tell me it's full of porn.
>>
>Value
Sandisk Ultra II, Crucial MX200, Samsung 850 evo
>Performance
Sandisk extreme pro, Samsung 850 pro
>>
>>320857664
1080p JAV needs surprisingly much
>>
>>320857725
>saving porn
>saving JAV porn

I have porn enough to last me for a good year and it's only about 300MB on my external drive, not to mention all the shit I can watch on the internet.
>>
>>320845485
>Biased
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W01HP4645&cm_re=3tb_Seagate-_-22-148-844-_-Product
>Nearly 1,500 reviews
>3 stars
>Everyone complaining about drive failure
>Graph shows 3TB as highest failing
>"Biased"
Research isn't hard to do.
>>
>>320857382
Who the fuck needs more than 1TB for their PC?

It sounds like you actually are a retard.
>>
File: 123143.png (17 KB, 766x115) Image search: [Google]
123143.png
17 KB, 766x115
>>320857512
>>320857664
Anime, movies, games, software, music, etc
>>
File: 1413354089039.jpg (18 KB, 265x308) Image search: [Google]
1413354089039.jpg
18 KB, 265x308
>being a data hoarder
>>
File: 1448815623001.png (723 KB, 640x686) Image search: [Google]
1448815623001.png
723 KB, 640x686
>>320857664
vidya I play and haven't deleted yet is like 20%
vidya backlog is about 40%
porn is like 0.01%
hentai is like 10%
anime backlog is like 20%
no music since it's on another hdd along with other stuff
>>
>>320857983
Probably people that are talented and have to store a lot of data because they work on several projects which use up a lot of space? Not everyone is retarded and untalented like you.
>>
I know a few open world games (which also happen to be poorly optimized ports, huh) suffer from data streaming issues, so I assume an HDD would be useful for them. The games in question are GTA4, Saints Row 2, and Arkham Knight, the latter actually having WB games recommend using an SSD. I'm not sure if an SSD would help those games at all, I do know that AK uses Denuvo, and Denuvo will DESTROY an SSD, or so I heard.
>>
Just another snake oil item.
>>
>>320857997
>Anime, movies
To watch or already watched? This is important.
>games
You only need a handful of games installed at a time, not need to keep 200 games installed on your HD always.
>software
How come is it that much? I have a 250GB SSD and I can install all the software I'll ever need on it with less tha 20GB.
>music
Why? You have Youtube, streaming sites, etc. No need to save music on HD.
>>
>>320857885

>stop doing things I don't do!
>>
>>320858114
I knew I should have added "outside of someone who uses their PC for work" to my post, but I assumed you knew I meant for outside work.

You're obviously not someone who needs all that space and you just can't admit you're an idiot for thinking you need that much space.
>>
>>320858336
>Why? You have Youtube, streaming sites, etc. No need to save music on HD.
Easier access, every album and artist in one software, better quality and not everything is in youtube or streaming sites
>>
>>320858407
I never said that, I just said it's stupid to save porn on your computer, because it is.
>>
>>320857512

I downloaded like 8 Steam games and it came out to 300GB. I have something like 200+ altogether.

You're gonna need a bigger drive. :)
>>
File: 1432390681010.jpg (39 KB, 374x347) Image search: [Google]
1432390681010.jpg
39 KB, 374x347
Is it safe to use MP3 on SSD? Since there's no rotating parts they don't suffer from rotational velocidensity do they?

I've had to use FLAC for quite a long time.

And for the uninformed, hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'.

What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.
>>
>>320858528
Kill yourself.
>>
>>320858441

>"I need a lot of hard drive space."
>"NO YOU DON'T! NO YOU DON'T! NO YOU DON'T!"

Geez, kid. Take a chill pill. Watch some Adventure Time and have a cookie or something.
>>
>>320858336
Both

I also keep games in case I feel like replaying them

Just in general, I essentially keep an archive of it all. I'm just a hoarder.
>>
File: 1430420743567.gif (2 MB, 259x197) Image search: [Google]
1430420743567.gif
2 MB, 259x197
>>320858528
>>
>>320858441
I go around doing videography, photography, have over 200 games on Steam, I do projects with Blender and sell some 3d models, I use Photoshop frequently for touch ups, I record video footage on my PC to a secondary drive, and do a lot more. 1tb is nowhere near enough to store the amount of data.
>>
>>320858528
Collecting MP3 files is a pretty stupid thing to do in the first place, you shouldn't be saving music to your PC.
>>
I guess I should have done a bit more research before building my first PC. I'll have to get that Barracuda replaced within a year I suppose.
>>
>>320858336

>"STOP DOING THINGS DIFFERENTLY FROM ME!"

Jesus, kid. You're a petulant little bugger aren't you?
>>
>>320858681
Why do you keep anime and movies you already watched on your HD?
>>
File: panic-2[1].jpg (77 KB, 380x316) Image search: [Google]
panic-2[1].jpg
77 KB, 380x316
>hard drive with all my anime and movies and shit on it starts dying
>run a smart diagnostic
>it's been running for over 40,000 hours
>smart all my other drives
>they're all over 40,000 hours as well

new WD black 2tb coming for Christmas thankfully
>>
>>320858819
Same here except I got a Kingston SSD, should've probably gotten Samsnug instead. Oh well.
>>
>>320858887
Because I like to go back and re-watch them?
>>
>>320858725
>you shouldn't be saving music to your PC.

yeah you should pay for streaming services instead of having the actual files. durhhhhh.
>>
>>320858910
>tfw have 2 drives getting pretty damn old
>but one is the backup drive of the other
guess I'll let them have a race

certainly they won't fail at the exact same time, right?
>>
>>320843342
I have a 2TB Hitachi Deskstar I bought like 6 years ago.

Still runs flawlessly but I suspect I will have to replace it soon before sudden failure. 6 years is a long time for a HDD
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.