[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dark Souls 3D Castlevania?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53 KB, 256x330
Exploring, non-linear, gorram tough, that feel.
>>
The word you're looking for is Metriodvania. It's not the first 3D Metroidvania.
>>
>>320835764
>it's not the first so it must sucks
fuck you
>>
>>320835889
where did he say it sucks
>>
>>320835889
I didn't say it sucks you fucking pleb, i just said it's not the first 3D Metroidvania.

Learn to read.
>>
>>320836031
it's not a metroidvania at all you pleb
>>
>>320836067
>Metroidvania games feature a large interconnected world map the player can explore, but access to parts of the world is limited by doors or other portals that can only be opened after the player has acquired special tools, weapons or abilities within the game. Acquiring such improvements also aids the player in defeating more difficult enemies and locating shortcuts and secret areas, and often includes retracing one's steps across the map.
Sounds a hell of a lot like Dark Souls, don't it?
>>
File: image.png (189 KB, 256x363) Image search: [Google]
image.png
189 KB, 256x363
Anyone play this
>>
>>320836185
special tools, weapons or abilities != keys, which is all you fucking get in dark souls
>>
>>320836316
Items to make you resist poison, move faster in water, permanently destroy unkillable enemies, survive large falls etc, etc

It's a Metroidvania, whether you want to believe it or not.
>>
>>320836514
it's not but I forgot that Dark Souls is literally the best game in every genre right after The Last of Us, I'm sorry
>>
>>320834832
I really hope Dark Souls 3 will be more open, but parts of the levels just being guarded by insanely strong mobs so you can make non linear progress if you're good.

Kind like Firelink shrine leading to Undead Burg and the Catacombs, but within the same area.
>>
>>320836514
>Items to make you resist poison
All RPGs have that. That don't make them Metroidvania.
>move faster in water
Platformers have that. That don't make them Metroidvania.
>permanently destroy unkillable enemies
Action games and survival horror games have that. That don't make them Metroidvania.
> survive large falls etc, etc
Platformers, action games and survival horror games have that. That don't make them Metroidvania.
>>
>>320836673

What are you talking about? No one's talking about the quality of the game, only the classification.

you're an odd dude
>>
File: 1366305876140.jpg (140 KB, 281x372) Image search: [Google]
1366305876140.jpg
140 KB, 281x372
>>320836790
If they have all of those things, it might make them metroidvania.
>>
>>320836514
>permanently destroy unkillable enemies
Huh? There are no such things as unkillable enemies in Souls games except for story shit like Seath in the Duke's Archives. But that was plot armor so it doesn't count as "unkillable enemies".
>>
File: masahiro_sakurai.jpg (299 KB, 1100x619) Image search: [Google]
masahiro_sakurai.jpg
299 KB, 1100x619
>>320836185
A Metroidvania is a Metroidvania specifically because of tools that you get within the game that are necessary to progress through other areas that are already partly accessible without them.

Meanwhile Castlevania uses keys, and just pathways opening.

Which do you think is more like Dark Souls, retard?
>>
>>320836903
>what are ghosts
>>
>>320836892
Then in that case, Ninja Gaiden Black is fucking Metroidvania, since it also vaguely fits into those categories.
>>
>>320835991
>>320836031
>>320836185
>>320836514
>>320836859
>>320836903
>responding to obvious bait
>>
>>320836185
The only part in Dark Souls that is even remotely close to being Metroidvania is that you need that one ring in order to walk on Lava, but you literally get that from the boss just before that boss of the game, so there is no backtracking involved. Dark Souls is not metroidvania whatsoever, mouthbreather
>>
>>320837020

Dark souls has stuff like that.

Great example is the ghosts in Anor Londo, you either need a specific cursed weapon, or a special item to be able to damage them.
>>
>>320837183
In Metroidvania games it is impossible to progress without the item. You provided one really specific example of where you can progress without that item
>>
>>320837158

To say it isn't one whatsoever is a little misleading. While I wouldn't personally classify it as such, there's lot's of characteristics dark souls shares with metroidvanias.
>>
>>320837183
But you don't need those items to progress through those areas. You can easily run past the ghosts without ever fighting even one of them.

In Metroid games, you need certain armor skills like the bombs and super run to break through certain areas that are otherwise inaccessible without them.
>>
>>320837315
No. There are literally none. It shares characteristics with Castlevania, not Metroidvania, after all the only difference between Castlevania and Metroidvania is, like i said, that you need specific tools that are integrated into the gameplay to progress through certain areas.
>>
>>320837281
see
>>320837020

>necessary to progress through other areas that are already partly accessible without them.

Another example is the bottom half of blighttown, which is a pain in the absolute ass unless you have a special ring to allow you to move through the swamp.
>>
>>320837457

Are you not paying attention to the thread? People are giving examples of specific items or tools that are necessary for fully progressing through some areas.
>>
>>320836790
Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys: Origin has all of these (not the exact same obviously, but similar progresion-related things). Is it a Metroidvania game? No. At the very best, it has slight elements of Metroidvania. Same with Dark Soulls. Not a Metroidvania game.
>>
>>320837502
>which is a pain in the absolute ass unless you have a special ring to allow you to move through the swamp.
But you don't need them. Your progress won't be halted without them. That's why the Rusted Iron Ring is placed in an optional return-to-Undead Asylum area.

In Metroidvania games, you MUST have these progression items or else you can't progress.
>>
The level design can be considered Metroidvania-ish, but I still honestly don't care for the comparison. Castlevania has colorful and vibrant areas, thumping upbeat music, and lots of pretty wacky character designs.

Even if you addressed what others have said in the thread - how Metroidvania games typically gate progress based on your abilities and not just keys or one-way doors - I just don't like when people say "Look, your perfect 3D Castlevania was right here all along in the Souls series!" because tonally it's on another planet.

The Castlevania games that have the most in common with the Souls games are the N64 games.
>>
>>320837837

That's not what
>>320837020
says

I'm not sure what the actual technical definition is and I hate arguing at strawmen so I'm going to take my leave.
>>
File: 1449501573921.jpg (57 KB, 372x363) Image search: [Google]
1449501573921.jpg
57 KB, 372x363
>>320837502
>>320837617
Do you people not understand what "NECESSARY to progress through other areas" means?

It doesn't meant that it makes it easier to go through the areas, like transient curses for new londo, or poison items for blight town you retarded fucking mouthbreathers

DARK SOULS IS NOT METROIDVANIA. KILL YOURSELVES
>>
File: dontletyourdreamsbecome.png (423 KB, 720x1050) Image search: [Google]
dontletyourdreamsbecome.png
423 KB, 720x1050
>>320838015
>That's not what >>320837020 says

>Literally says "NECESSARY TO PROGRESS"

Please

IMMEDIATELY

OFF

YOURSELF
>>
>>320838106

>already partly accessible without them

calm down bud
>>
What's interesting about this thread is that the characteristics mentioned in the OP do make it similar to metroidvania, but /v/ latches on to the characteristics that are slightly different, mainly to be contrarian, even when it's obvious that the souls games are heavily influenced by that era and style of gaming.
>>
>>320834832

Eh, you don't get nearly as many fun toys in Dark Souls. Castlevania is full of a lot more unique, fun to use shit.
>>
If you had ever actually played Castlevania you would realize that they are nothing alike.
>>
>>320838286
>already partly accessible without them

BUT NOT FULLY ACCESSIBLE. AND THOSE _NECESSARY_ ITEMS MAKE THEM FULLY ACCESSIBLE.

OTHERWISE, THEY WILL ONLY REMAIN _PARTLY_ ACCESSIBLE.

>>320838402
Tons of games are influences that by era and style of gaming without them being Metroidvania.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.