[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some games with large, interesting worlds that you can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1qyumoq.jpg (1 MB, 2646x2192) Image search: [Google]
1qyumoq.jpg
1 MB, 2646x2192
What are some games with large, interesting worlds that you can explore? I've already played the modern TES and Fallout games. TW3 looks good, but my computer can't handle it.

MMOs are acceptable I guess.
>>
File: Swordcoast.gif (473 KB, 639x933) Image search: [Google]
Swordcoast.gif
473 KB, 639x933
Baldurs gate, neverwinter nights.
>>
>>320831859
>modern TES
Does that include Morrowind?

Could try Daggerfall at any rate.
>>
>>320833163
>Baldurs gate, neverwinter nights.
Already played most of the old BioWare games. They're great, but not really what I'm looking for.

While the worlds in those games are typically well-built, they're not what I would call immersive, and rarely was I actually interested in exploring the world itself. In games like that, I'm usually pursuing the story and characters, and exploring the world is simply a consequence of that.

This is in contrast to something like Morrowind, where I was legitimately interested in seeing what kinds of locations the game had to offer.
>>
You could try Two Worlds 2.

It's a clunky game and you'll find most reviews for it to be unforgiving, but it's actually really fun when you get down to it.
>fantastic magic system
>good crafting system
>large world

Just as a tip though, play a mage, since otherwise the best part of the game is wasted.
>>
>>320831859
TW3 world is neither large nor interesting. its small and mildly amusing
>>
>>320834232
The Gothic series might be what you're looking for.
>>
>>320834507
>small
too obvious
>>
>>320834570
its fucking small dude.
>>
>>320834613

Compared to games like Skyrim or Fallout it's much bigger.
>>
>>320834664
its not. its on par with them
>>
>>320834703
>Skyrim
>39km2
>Witcher 3
>136km2
>>
>>320834507
>its small and mildly amusing
that's what she said lmao
>>
>>320834913
at least she finds it amusing, right?
>>
>>320834861
>Witcher 3
>136km2

doubt

it doesnt feel that big at all
>>
>>320834861
subtract the useless ocean in skellige from the equation. and the entirety of the khaer moron wilderness because you literally don't use it for anything
>>
>>320835123

I hope you've actually gotten past White Orchard.

Don't forget the game is split into two large regions, rather than one large one, with the area around Novigrad being the biggest, and Skellige being second (but with a lot of water).

I'd imagine actually useful area would be 100km2 if we take out the Skellige water areas.
>>
File: Tyria_world_fan_map_(freestyle).jpg (3 MB, 2903x6769) Image search: [Google]
Tyria_world_fan_map_(freestyle).jpg
3 MB, 2903x6769
>>
>>320835242
>useful area
Subtract anything not related to the main story because all the "exploration" involves killing monsters that give no xp, for swords and armor you'll never use

if you DO see something interesting, chances are its part of the story at some point

give me closed off areas from TW1/2 over the open world in 3 anyday
>>
>>320835123
Geralt doesn't move like a snail and his horse is actually useful.
Also, if you're still in White Orchard that's not even the full map.
>>
>>320835418

Did you only play the game day 1? You're complaining about shit that isn't even true anymore.
>>
>>320835527
literally played/beat it last week.
>>
>>320835295
I actually bought GW2 back in January when it was on sale for $10 and never even installed it. In fact, I think it went F2P sometime this year, so that was a complete waste of money.

Is it worth getting into? If the world is actually interesting, I might be willing to suffer through shit gameplay more than I otherwise would.
>>
>>320835610

Dunno what to tell you then, I've always found something useful (be it armor or swords or crafting materials) when randomly exploring
>>
>>320835748
>over 300 pointless exploration spots that are nearly identical to each other
>"Ive always found something useful :^)"
Fuck off. TW3 has plenty going for it, but its not the open world
>>
>>320835930

Let me guess that you never used the crafting and alchemy system properly?
>>
>>320835660
GW2 butchered the world and the lore desu
>>
>>320835660
lucky you only payed $10 I payed $70 for that piece of shit game
>>
>>320835930
Not him, but yeah I've usually always found something I've liked in a question mark area. I like the neat little treasure hunts that give reason for enemies inhabiting the area or corpses being all over or loot being in the area. Then there's a diagram hunts that tell pretty fun stories while you find each one. Particular favorite of mine was the Cat School gear hunt where you encounter the unfortunate Cat Witcher now a mindless demon thing underneath the nicer part of Novigrad.
Aside from that though, I've always been able to use the loot I've found from the question marks in one way or another. It's pretty useful to go to a question area, fight whatever enemy is there, and grab the entire stash of loot for something nice to equip, something to sell, or something to use when crafting.
Then there are the monster nests and abandoned sites which I just like because it makes me fit more into the role of a Witcher.
The random encounters are neat too and I keep finding more every playthrough. I just recently found a troll getting attacked by Nekkers who gave me an elf head to show his gratitude and a man dying of plague who I previously found transporting dead plague victims across Velen.
>>
>>320834526
THIS OP
>>
>>320836563
I feel your pain man. Fuck, I was so let down about that...
>>
>>320835930
>Fuck off. TW3 has plenty going for it, but its not the open world
Actually, it is the open world.
What is not is the LOOT. If you want to explore the world, you can't do better than the Witcher, because the amount of detail and small environmental storytelling in that game is unparalleled by any other game: the problem is that most people don't give a flying FUCK about that, and care about factual, mechanical rewards. And yes: Witcher 3 completely and utterly sucks at that: the loot it provides the player with is pitiful.

But that is a mechanical shortcoming. Not a world building one. The actual world is absolutely superb and hugely benefits from being open.
>>
>>320831859
If it doesn't have to be PC, Xenoblade X is probably the best open world this gen. Even if each of the five main continents has a distinct theme the areas are so vast and well designed you get over it.
>>
>>320837861
Do I need to play Xenoblade Chronicles first?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.