[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Last of Us
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
File: The-Last-of-Us.jpg (914 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The-Last-of-Us.jpg
914 KB, 1280x720
Why is this game highly praised so much?
What does it do differently or exceptionally that other big budget games don't?
>>
it merges gameplay goals with its story almost seamlessly

the game has a lot of violence and killing, and none of it feels wasted or in direct opposition to the characters' motivations and personalities
>>
its fun so its good
>>
>3 years later
>/v/ still getting mad over it

Dunno if sad or hilarious.
>>
GREATEST. FUCKING. GAME. OF ALL. TIME.

prove me wrong :^)
>>
>>320819207
It was a Sony exclusive that was a critical darling, of course /v/ would hate it on principle.
>>
>>320818915
Its not a 10/10 game, but its fun with a great soundtrack and outstanding multiplayer.

Post apocalypse is just a popular setting atm so everyone lost their shit over it.
>>
>>320818915
>>>/tv/
>>
>>320819082
This.

Since it's a post apocalyptic universe, the moral compass of humanity pretty much is nonexistent. Everyone is ruthless in order to survive, so you never get that sense of enemies being just generic cannon fodder thrown at you in order to lengthen the game.

That's a real problem with Uncharted because you're playing this charismatic Indiana Jones who just so happens to be a psycopathic murderer. In this game, your character is a cold murderer for actual reasons. Instead of taking you out of the game with cognitive dissonance, it actually helps and strengthens the narrative.
>>
It perfected the AAA formula. It was made up of cliches (for example the post apocalyptic setting), but it used them so well that it was ok.
>>
>>320818915
It's fun
>>
>>320819247
Reason 1. It has zombies so it's scary as fuk
Reason 2. Get sad because girl dies at the beginning.
Reason 3. It has niggers in it.
>mfw these are actual reasons i never finished it
>mfw i have no face
>>
>>320819483
The funny part is everyone on /v/ was saying it was basically a movie so I went in expecting it to be shit and it turns out it has more actual gameplay than like 75% of games released now.
>>
File: 1448856619826.jpg (52 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1448856619826.jpg
52 KB, 720x480
>>320818915
The same reason Star Wars VII is being praised to hell and back. Casual normalshitters who have turned art into consumption are destroying all forms of art and media slowly but surely. I think you'd be challenged to find a single person who really loves video games that thinks The Last of Us is great.

It's not a bad game but holy fuck is it mediocre. Success is 90% marketing and presentation. Once you have your audience you just need something that doesn't blow up in their face when they try to play it, unless you're Bethesda in which case you get praised anyway.
>>
File: 139632261346.png (370 KB, 500x671) Image search: [Google]
139632261346.png
370 KB, 500x671
>>320819673
>Casual normalshitters who have turned art into consumption are destroying all forms of art and media slowly but surely. I think you'd be challenged to find a single person who really loves video games that thinks The Last of Us is great.
>>
>>320818915
No reason. Nothing. Like Undermeme before it, it just mashes a bunch of unoriginal shit together and people like it because of "muh characters" and "muh story"
>>
>>320819673
I enjoyed The Last of Us and I enjoyed Resident Evil 6. The beginning of this year I played through Dino Crisis for the first time and I loved it.

Maybe it's just a good survival action horror game with a better than average video game story?
>>
The people who praise are Sony elitists who don't have any other consoles or who only stick to their small preferred genres.

The game is mediocre. The first interaction with human enemies is literally a shipping box playground.

The walking simulator cinematic drag on and pad the non existant gameplay.

The AI pathfinding is a joke.

The only thing going for it, like all modern naughty dog games, is that at the time it looked impressive to those who never owned decent graphics card and processor.

Also add the fact that the entire game revolves around the idea of Nathan drake walking with elen page. I bet Sony dropped a lot of money for this pile of shit.
>>
>>320819903
What is a good third person horror game?
>>
>>320819597
>listening to /v/ on exclusives
never ever
>>
>>320819993
>horror
No.

If you want a real Sony horror game play Siren Blood Curse.
>>
>>320819673
There is so much actual real life understanding of how shit like this works in your post that i am almost crying. Thank you glorious anon who speaketh the truth.
10/10 would print and frame
>>
>>320819839
>good survival action horror game
I'd say good is generous. On normal the game might as well be all qte's like The Order and on Grounded things just get silly because the game obviously wasn't made with regular one-shot deaths in mind. The game has two main enemy types that never interact. The game offers stealth and combat solutions to many encounters but provides combat resources based on how many you're using making stealth practically pointless since combat is generally easier. Many encounters seem poorly thought out and constructed in a way that would feel cinematic rather than good to play through, I could run through several encounters with human enemies only suffering a graze or something before getting into the next area and de-loading them out of existence. I'm not saying that any one of these nitpicks is gamebreaking, but things like this consistently showing up everywhere really dragged the game down for me.

>better than average video game story
>better than average
Only if you count the ones that aren't trying. For a story driven game it's pretty middling. "Decent by video game standards" isn't exactly high-praise. And I think that the whole thing had a very "JJ Abrams" feel to it, in that I don't see Naughty Dog's writers as real artists, their work feels more like a decently executed imitation of what art should look like to somebody not that in the know.
>>
>>320818915
Clickers were pretty cool and threatening.
Audio was well done.
Nice environments and pacing

I think it got the praise because console fans don't get to experience this shit often but the game worked quite well in parts.
>>
>>320820141
> glorious anon who speaketh the truth.

here's the thing

this game gets shit upon because of its exclusivity and nothing more

if any of you actually enjoy titles like Uncharted series, Tomb Raider reboot, or even Spec-ops The Line, then TLOU absolutely kicks the shit in of all of those games in terms of story competence and gameplay variation, because it uses similar mechanics, but the execution of it trumps the rest of its ilk
>>
>>320819673
Really if you believe it's a case of art simply being consumption nowadays then you better never buy a videogame again and just get into the Amiga Demoscene or something.

Here is your art for art's sake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aXsrYI3S6g
>>
>>320818915

Only thing it does the best out of any game is the voice acting.

That's it. Nothing else.
>>
>>320820230
>Clickers
Fuck them. The concept is cool but the execution was abysmal.

The first and most obvious problem is Ellie and other accomplices. These things are supposed to have super-hearing but Ellie behaves the same way around them as she does with any other encounter. Her constantly talking and even bumping into them is jarring and frustrating.

That's a bit nitpicky but I feel this point has more weight to it, from a functional gameplay point of view I found their encounters exceptionally boring. Their "super-hearing" in practicality boils down to "anything quicker than slowcreep and they home in and one-shot you". What this means is that the only threat from Clicker stealth is bumping into one. The hazard in this comes from maze-like level design and the Clicker's constant patrolling. Once you realize this it feels more like some kind of slow, pacman type puzzle than horror.

And in combat Clicker's are just cunts. All the infected are, but Clickers are more obnoxious, especially on Grounded. Their armor was too finicky for my liking. A perfectly executed Grounded combat encounter being ended by a shotgun blast being a millimetre off and failing to pierce the Clicker's head is annoying and happened to me a few times.

>Audio
Voice acting was solid but I think that Ellie's VA was trying too hard to come off as endearing which made me find her obnoxious. I have the same problem with Piper in Fallout 4, but nobody else seems to notice these things so maybe I'm just being harsh.

>Nice environments and pacing
I thought that most of the environments were mediocre for what they were supposed to do and the pacing just cycled between combat/stealth encounters with one of two enemy types and exploration stuff which just boiled down to looking for a ladder. I appreciate that they tried to break up the combat/stealth/story tedium with something different but I don't think they did too well. My favourite tedium breaker is the town in NieR.
>>
>>320819082
>it merges gameplay goals with its story almost seamlessly

>going from room to room in an extremely linear path
>whoa so seamless
>>
>>320820375
The game pretends to be a movie.
It's not because it's exclusive.

It's hyped as the best shit by Sony and sonyniggers because they have nothing else to brag about.

Somebody please fucking post the game of all time image with 10/10s from a bunch of blogs and non video game publications.
>>
File: 1448088677937.jpg (70 KB, 618x564) Image search: [Google]
1448088677937.jpg
70 KB, 618x564
>>320820375
>if any of you actually enjoy titles like Uncharted series, Tomb Raider reboot, or even Spec-ops The Line, then you're a giant fucking pleb who needs to stop spending money on anything other than survival
FTFY

>the rest of its ilk
They're all fucking awful m9

>>320820631
Never heard of this stuff before but it's fairly groovy. Not my thing but I don't mind it.
>>
>>320820709

/thread
>>
>>320820849
nah

it's just a game where the story doesn't feel retarded as you play it

but it seems like this thread is full of blind faggots like you
>>
>>320818915
The voice acting is the best there is in gaming, period. The narrative is well done and the game flows nicely. The gameplay is..okay at best, but it's not bad in any case. It's basically a hollywood movie-tier production in a videogame, this doesn't happen very often (if at all), so people really liked it. It's just /v/ contrarian autists that have a problem with it, games good, deal with it.

Oh, and PC only kids that can't afford a console on top of their PC.
>>
>>320820926
not discussing the merits if they're awful or not

just that it makes you a hypocrite fuck if you do ;)
>>
>>320821052
>The voice acting is the best there is in gaming, period.

hehe haha
>>
>>320820196
the story itself isn't exactly what people like about it even if they say they do. It's the way the story is told.

another large plus for the game that rarely gets touched upon is the MP which actually was pretty good. If I ever do see it get mentioned, it's bitching about microtransactions, but at least when I played it, they were limited to cosmetic items with the perks and weapons that were allegedly locked behind the pay gate still being available by way of premade classes.
>>
>>320821112

That's true though. It's the only thing this game is praised for outside sony shill sites.

go ahead and name a game with more realistic voice acting
>>
>>320820709
>>320820970
Really? I thought it was okay, but nothing mind-blowing. I thought that a lot of the generic bandit-types sounded kind of goofy while Ellie got on my nerves pretty quickly.

And despite the game being story driven there really isn't even that much for the actors to do, 90% of the game's dialogue is probably back and forth stuff between Joel and Ellie which isn't anything special. It sounds reasonably natural but I don't think that that's saying much.
>>
>>320820849
The people who hyped it as goat are reviewers and casuals.

Everyone else here is simply arguing it isn't as toxic as /v/ made out it was. I avoided it for more than a year based on the reaction here and found it fun, multiplayer was the best I've ever played.
>>
>>320821178

no awkward pauses and every flowed like an actual movie

no other game comes close
>>
File: image.png (89 KB, 1000x941) Image search: [Google]
image.png
89 KB, 1000x941
>>320821213
>taking /v/'s opinion seriously about anything
>>
>>320821104
I don't, so I guess I'm not a hypocrite.

>>320821174
>realistic = good
Holy shit, I bet you think Daniel Day Lewis and Morgan Freeman are good actors and that David Lynch movies don't make sense you gigapleb.
>>
>>320821005
The only blind faggots are those who can't see past the obvious visible flaws of the game.

It's a giant mess and is praised even with how broken it is.

Pisses me the fuck off that these same pretentious faggots 10/10 this cinematic garbage but knock off Earth Defence Force and Devils Third for being video games.
>>
>>320821309
>realistic = good

In terms of believable voice acting how is unrealistic good?

Retard.
>>
Autism basically
>>
>>320821248
>like an actual movie
I can't tell if you're taking the piss out of the game or if you didn't even realize that you pointed out the game being a good imitation of a movie as a good point in its favour.
>>
>>320821309
no, you're just here to h8 m8, that much is clear

but to all the others who do enjoy them, well...
>>
>>320821281
>scarlet johansson and Katy Perry

Every fucking time, Quentin.
>>
>>320821281
You both need to stop posting. /v/ Isn't one person and there's no consensus in what's liked or disliked. I'm been saying this for literally 8 years and you fucking faggots just don't get it.
>>
>>320821281
god can you imagine a 24 year old genuinely saying this lmao

like a 16 year old sure, but being 24 and being smug about having read gatsby?
>>
>>320820709

Pretty much this. Nothing else it did was unique, but the voice acting felt very real, and not hammed up.
>>
File: 1421186099216.jpg (34 KB, 200x196) Image search: [Google]
1421186099216.jpg
34 KB, 200x196
>Uses old-as-fuck Uncharted 1 engine.
>Remove Uncharted puzzles.
>Replace with forklift pallet/ladder/plank hunting.

I'm surprised they didn't get called out on such half-assed gameplay sections. Did having the characters talk during these scenes really mask how unoriginal the overall game was for most people?
>>
>>320821412

We're talking about fucking voice acting so yes, it's a good point. I'm not saying it's a good game, but the voice acting is on point.
>>
>>320819247
Cliffhanger ending
>>
>>320821383
Why is "believable voice acting" something to strive for. You went from saying "best voice acting" to "name a game with more realistic voice acting" which gets me thinking that you think "realistic" and "good" are one and the same when they most certainly aren't.

It's all about the context that the performance is given in, there are times when a grounded and realistic performance isn't optimal. Your reply is kind of a funny jump in thought which makes writing mine a bit awkward but I hope I eventually made my point clear.
>>
File: daweed.png (103 KB, 354x418) Image search: [Google]
daweed.png
103 KB, 354x418
>/v/ can't even accept the voice acting is great

there's sour and then there's plain retarded
>>
>>320821642
>Why is "believable voice acting" something to strive for.

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying that's what they went for, and they achieved it. Period.
>>
It has good albeit somewhat boring repetitive gameplay, but the whole presentation is great.

It doesn't do anything new or original, but everything it does, it does it well.

It has a zombie post apocalyptic world story which is done to death, but it does it perfectly.

Basic formula of walk, puzzle, action, is done very well and feels satisfying.

I know it's bland and everything, but I went into the game wanting to hate it and it was actually the only game I genuinely enjoyed in a long time.
>>
>>320821720
>they achieved it
They did, I suppose. Doesn't make the voice acting 10/10 GOAT though. For examples of what I mean by unrealistic stuff being better:

>Dead Rising
Protagonist Frank West is in my opinion one of the best grounded and believable heroes in video games. His VA actually does a great job of sounding like a normal guy because he is one. Frank is played by his motion capture stuntman rather than a professional actor. His realistic performance, together with those of Frank and Jessie's VA's make for a weird contrast with the game's psychos (boss characters) who are all over the top wacky nonsense. Dead Rising's storytelling is very underrated and the sequels went full retard, destroying its legacy which I think is a shame.
>>
>>320821642

why is shitty voice acting something to strive for?

holy fuck you're trying way too fucking hard to be contrarian
>>
File: i should like to hold it.jpg (221 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
i should like to hold it.jpg
221 KB, 600x800
>>320821485
>long voice-over cutscenes where you have to walk around slowly
fuck me swinging, at least with FMV you could skip the fucking things if they were boring
>>
>>320822108
Not something to strive for, I'm trying to say that a performance that's "realistic" shouldn't be seen as the be all and end all of acting, because obviously there's no such thing as an optimal performance.

Different performances will suit different works. For an example have you seen Blue Velvet? Dennis Hopper goes absolutely fucking insane in that movie but it's better off for it. Have you seen Mulholland Drive? Nobody in that movie acts like a real person and it's fucking beautiful.
>>
>>320821835

what puzzles man??????
>>
>>320822446
Bobby Peru > Frank Booth tbqh familia
>>
>>320818915
It does what season1 of Telltale's WalkingDead did but better in every aspect

-Has gameplay
-better character development
-touches more emotional strings

But it's a sony game so it gets shat on, especially when its popular.
>>
>>320819207
>>320819340
Lol, you sonyfags and your victim complex. No one was even bashing it by the time these posts were made
>>
>>320819673
>I think you'd be challenged to find a single person who really loves video games that thinks The Last of Us is great.

That would explain why /v/ loves it so much...
>>
>>320818915
>Why is this game highly praised so much?

Can you not? Can you not lump The Last of Us with something as vulgar as video games? It's a masterpiece of art.
>>
>>320821656
I haven't played it but from what I've heard the voice acting is very hollywood-esque, not really natural like actual speech between people. The same type of generic, "I'm putting on a performance" sounding acting that is found all over in modern games now, such as that new Horizon game and the upcoming Underworld Ascendant. Very off-putting
>>
>>320818915

God-tier multiplayer.
>>
>>320821005
>it's just a game where the story doesn't feel retarded as you play it

Yeah because its a gigantic copy of every trope that was popular on movie and TV at the time. I'd rather have original stuff in my videogame rather than them riding the coattails of other mediums with a stale story like TloU's.
>>
>>320819579

Yeah but the niggers die. Literally, all of them.
>>
>>320824536
>hollywood-esque
That feels accurate. I don't know which game if any has truly captured natural human interaction but it's certainly not The Last of Us.
>>
>>320821629
That wasn't a cliffhanger ending.
>>
The game is a solid 8.5/10 desu
It's not the greatest game ever but the gameplay is solid, Story is good and engaging even if it is predictable plus the multiplayer is amazing
>>
File: 1412122275646.png (79 KB, 538x467) Image search: [Google]
1412122275646.png
79 KB, 538x467
>>320819673
This so much. It's The Dark Knight of video games. Loved by people who haven't actually seen that many films, or anything that came out before a certain date. They think its amazing because they have barely anything decent to compare it to.
>>
>>320818915
Ladders. It has so many ladders to move how could it not be a 10/10. Holy shit and don't forget the pallets. The gameplay is amazing. Just fucking amazing.
>>
The Last of Us was the Witcher 3 of it's time
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.