[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A mainstream film costs 10-20 dollars recently released, often
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2
File: Dollarydoos.png (180 KB, 1123x327) Image search: [Google]
Dollarydoos.png
180 KB, 1123x327
A mainstream film costs 10-20 dollars recently released, often with bonus features included.

A mainstream album costs 10-20 dollars recently released, often with bonus tracks included.

A mainstream game costs 50-60 dollars recently released, and downloadable content often costs as much as the base game.

No, really: why the fuck is this allowed? Don't people recognize a highway robbery when they see one?
>>
>>320812795
You spend a lot less for the time you put into it
>>
>>320812795
A game cost as much as a movie, in the case of BFEA , yet has a much smaller consumer base.

> why the fuck is this allowed? Don't people recognize a highway robbery when they see one?
It is not robbery if you ask people if they would like to give you money for something they convinced you you needed and was worth every cent, even if you soon after discover that you could easily have lived without it and that it is worth maybe a third.

That is the open market.
>>
>>320812795
a movie is 1h30, a full music album around the same.
>>
10 millions viewers worldwide is considered a company threatening flop. in videogame it's a ticket for the top 10
>>
>>320812795
movies are usually about 2 hours long
games are usually about 40 hours long
>>
>>320812795
If less people want a thing, they have to collectively pay more for it.

Go convince your family to start gaming whining dogmonkey
>>
If there was no barrier of entry, they could do it. $100m mega marketing hype game, released for $10.
The problem is that you need hardware to play that game.

They need to sell 30 million of them instead of 5 million now - but only 60 million people own a PC or console that you can play it on.

You can't get 50% of the market to care. You can maybe get 5% of them to care and they will have to pay a shit load to finance it.

The barrier of entry to go to the movies is nothing. You just buy a ticket and sit down.
>>
>>320812795
You pay 10-20 for 2 hours of fun.
You pay 50-60 for x hours of fun where x 10 - 1500.
I want 2$ games as much as the next guy but I can't really say I didn't get my money's worth with most of what I bought.
>>
>>320812795
>there are people on /v/ right now who preordered the $120 ultimate edition
>>
>>320815353
Sounds like the issue is the concept of proprietary consoles. If games were more common on universal devices, beyond simple mobile shit, then perhaps this gap would close.
>>
>>320812795
A bike is like 500 bucks
A car is like 10000 bucks
But my own personal jet is 2 million bucks how is this allowed???
>>
>>320816891
But then you'd have to put actual effort into making your product the best so people buy your product over the competition's product, and that's not something Sony or Microsoft want to do.

It's easier to rely on exclusivity and marketing, and the industry behind consoles is far richer than the industry behind the videogames themselves, because Sony and Microsoft are active in all kinds of multimedia areas.
>>
I have a question. Is there a law that states that movies in cinemas must be at least 1 hour and 30 minutes long before you're able to charge for it?
>>
>>320816991
>A bike is like 500 bucks
Where the fuck do you live? I bought one for $99 a few months ago. The cheapest were under $50.
>>
>>320816891
>if there was a monopoly prices would go down!
LOL
>>
>>320817295
That is the opposite of what he said
>>
>>320817208
There are movies, absolutely decent ones too, that are less than 90 minutes. Stand By Me and the Lion King, for example.
>>
>>320812795

A movie has the box office release, physical media comes months after the fact.

A music record has maybe 10-15 people involved in its production, so it's barely comparable.
>>
>>320812795

To be fair more people go to the movies than play video games, also making an album doesn't cost a $100 million dollarydoos.
>>
>>320814542
>games are usually about 40 hours long

How does it feel to come out of your coma anon?
>>
File: 1450567809527.jpg (1 MB, 1250x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450567809527.jpg
1 MB, 1250x1000
>>320812795
A mainstream film takes 2 - 3 hours to finish once

A mainstream album tooks 15 mins to 1 hour to finish once

A mainstream game takes 10 to 100 hours to finish once

Also movies generate money 3 times, at theaters, at rental/buy and then at tv release/streaming

Music generates money for a long time in form of revenues and concerts and music videos and such.

Game is only bought once.

I see no problems here, other than dlc. Even that I can fathom if it's good dlc and not extra costumes and shit.
>>
>>320812795
>Don't people recognize a highway robbery when they see one?
they did with Evolve
>>
>>320817410
I'm just wondering if there is an international standard for movies to be at least have a duration of a certain amount before it can be shown off in cinemas.

If there is, I'm wondering why video games don't have that in order for publishers to justify the price tag of a 60 dollar game that has half as much content as another game with a lot more content.
>>
>>320817274
A decent bike
>>
>>320817274
They're probably shit though
>>
>>320817386
>everything only playable on one platform
>not a monopoly
>>
>>320817632
>If there is, I'm wondering why video games don't have that
Because that's utterly retarded
If there was such a standard for movies it was primarly for the cinemas, so that they can better organize their schedules
There's absolutely no need for something like that in vidya
And that doesn't even go into how vidya can also cost 5 bux and be like 5 hours long and still be good, or how duration heavily depends on the player for certain kinds of games, or how devs would just pad the shit out of their games
>>
Give me a 60 hour movie. I'll wait
>>
>>320817748
Yes because we all know that PCs are locked down platforms where you can only do that Papa Gates tells you to, where you totally can't customize everything
>>
>>320817208
No, but in order to be classified as a feature film by the MPAA it must be a certain length
>>
>>320817748
I believe anon meant with universal devices (notice the plural), that everyone could make devices, that had global standards, so that you could play most games on any device, just with perhaps different settings.
>>
>>320817852
Steam has a monopoly on PC gaming actually
>>
>>320817632
There isn't, it's just that if the movie they paid for was too short, moviegoers might complain (and if the theaters make tickets for shorter movies cheaper, they'll have trouble breaking even). Much like gamers did with The Order.
>>
>>320817907
You might want to look up what monopoly means
It doesn't mean 'someone who's selling a lot'
>>
>>320817907
A: no they don't, just a huge share
B: If steam is what a monopoly looks like, price-wise, count me in.
>>
This is aloud because norm is eat this shit up.

Most of neo /v/ is also responsible because of their shit taste.
>>
>>320817632
Well, there isn't. When movies as a medium came to be, they weren't all around 90-180 minutes. Sometimes movies were just 5 minutes long, some were 45 minutes long. Even now you have that sometimes, even if it's rare. There never was a reason to have this kind of law. Over time a standard developed, sure, and that might influence the prices on lovies below the 90 minute limit (just as they did for movies that were over 2 hours where most cinemas charge extra), but that's it.

Videogames will never have something like that because you can ALWAYS argue that the quality of the game is not something you can gauge by its length. Maybe a game is long as fuck, but it's horrible, maybe you have a game with stellar gameplay that is only 2 hours long.

A game's "content" is incredibly hard to quantify. Plus, people spend different lengths of time on a game. Shit, what would the whole speedrun culture do to games if you could prove that 90% of videogames can be beat in a time that's below the "legal limit"?

The point is, a videogame's length is directly connected to how enjoyable it is to each user. A 90 minute movie will always be a 90 minute movie, if you aren't a tool who rewinds or skips parts all the time. But there is no such thing as a "7-hour-game" or something, because not everyone is going to have the same experience with a game. Keep in mind, there are people who actually ENJOY games you don't like, and they might spend hundreds of hours on it, genuinely having fun. Who are you, or who is anyone to say that that game should not be worth its price tag?
>>
A mainstream film has 3-5 hours worth of entertainment recently released, often with bonus features included.

A mainstream album has 3-5 hours worth of entertainment recently released, often with bonus tracks included.

A mainstream game has 15-20 hours worth of entertainment recently released

No, really: why the fuck is this allowed? Don't people recognize a highway robbery when they see one?
>>
>>320812795
>90 bucks for a run of the mill shooter
Wake up, people.
>>
>>320812795
>play DF
>pay $0
>play for 300 hours
I cheated the universe and generated unlimited value guys
>>
>>320818192
but it doesnt even have singleplayer, its even less than run of the mill. fuck it doesnt even work for me on pc (as an ausfag) and i bought it with mexi -bucks.
>>
>>320818192
>40 dollars for EDF 4.1
I'm okay with that
>>
>>320818246
Dorf Fort is one of the few free things on the internet that I actually donated for. They drew me a crayon picture and shit, I still have it next to my PC.

I actually think it's one of the best games ever made, and it's free. It's even still actively updated. Nigga of all the games that claim to be "dynamic" or have "emergent gameplay", Dorf Fort is the only one that actually does that to an acceptable degree.

Fucking miracle game.
>>
>>320814746

Didn't gta v make 100mil the day it was released? Stop trying to justify jew devs
>>
>SNES and N64 games were up to like $80 90s USD.
>cost of game development has only gone up
>>
>>320818656
That's a single game. Don't act like that's industry standard in any way. We're lucky to have something like that happen every 5 years.
>>
60€ is pretty fair for a substantial game, still shit like a 120€ online only game or a 50€ demo is a rip off
>>
>>320812795

Don't forget

>season passes that cost half the ammount of the fucking game
>>
>>320817837

Heaven's Gate
>>
>>320812795

It's because publishers are trying to have the same budgets while having a much much smaller market reach. So instead, they try to convince the consumer to spend 10x as much and sometimes even more to make money.
>>
>>320817837
Tv shows desu
>>
>>320819271
half?
ea bf season pass costs as much as the game and they're generally upping prices from 25$ to 39/49$
>>
>>320817907
no u
>>
>>320818147
Memes: The post
>>
>>320812795
Yes that's the reason people hated need for speed the run, because it lasted like a movie but costed like a game.
>>
>>320812795
You forgot that they make mad money out of their merchandise, why do you think animations will shit out sequels?
>>
>>320816991
>A car is like 10000 bucks

>buying a new car
>buying a post ~2004 car
>buying consumer goods
>>
>>320818858

And this is why we get DLCs and season passes that cost almost as much as the game. When a game doesn't make millions of bucks devs try to sell shit to their customers to jew them of as much money as possible, even if the game made a profit already
>>
>>320818656
It made 815mil if I'm not mistaken, Halo 2 was the first big middle finger to the industry where it made 125mil(2,5x the revenue VII got) on the very first day, 11 years ago
>>
>>320812795
>Film
>2-3 hours
>Album
>45 minutes - hour
>Game
>10 hours all the way to 500 hours and more

Ayyyyy
>>
>>320818524
Yeah, I'm also considering donating like 10 bucks, I got way too much fun out of it already and Toady is just too cool of a savant to not support
>>
>>320820330
That'd be a pretty cheap new car, they're more like 20k+ in yuroland
>>
Price points nigga
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.