[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
File: CIVILIZATION-V-FRONT-OF-BOX.jpg (27 KB, 250x313) Image search: [Google]
CIVILIZATION-V-FRONT-OF-BOX.jpg
27 KB, 250x313
What went wrong?
>>
fuck fuck fuck
mother mother fuck
mother mother fuck fuck
mother fuck mother fuck
noise noise noise
one two one two three four
noise noise noise
>>
It's good without the outdated shit from earlier games so elitists have something to complain about
>>
>>320784310
Most people play against the ai when multiplayer is 100 times better
>>
Nothing. That isn't BE.
>>
Dumb AI
>>
it took a few years to become decent
>>
>AI still cheats
>All happiness is shared.
>AIs play to win instead of having proper diplomacy modifiers.
>Leaders speak their native tongue which is just annoying
>Infact why is there even an emphasis on leaders the fuckers are living for thousands of years

Course I havent played since launch when everyone discovered the game was shit and went back to Beyond the Sword
>>
>>320784310
The multiplayer always crashes
>>
>Observatories OP
>Rationalism OP
>Science in general OP
>Tourism is worthless, gives shit bonuses and victory can be cockblocked by one civ giving half a shit about blocking you
>diplomacy requires city state control, easily cockblocked by just fucking up city states
>Outrageous SSBB-tier balancing
>And >>320784985

Still fun tho
>>
>>320784310
Science victory too easy
Diplomatic victory far to easy and borderline broken
Culture and Domination too hard unless you are using a Civ directly tailored to those victories.
>>
>>320784792
>>All happiness is shared.

What
>>
>>320784697
Nah, even with all expacks it's still shit
>Marathon speed is just little slower normal from civ4
>AI is retarded
>because retarded unit per title it will take age to move units from one part of the map to the another
>City can be too overpowered in multiplayer if you know what the fuck you are doing
>>
i neved like this game that much and this was the only civ i played. Buut the AI was retarded (it's an AI in a strategy game, go figure) to even think about trading with me they wanted everything i owned for a simple resource, luxury or not.
>hi Sweden u've got coal, i want some, wanna trade?
>only if you faggots give us 100 gold per turn for 10 turns and all your luxury resources.
wat. was the ai bugged or did i miss something?
>>
>>320785213
They don't want to trade with you
>>
>>320785087
I never got the obsession people have with playing on marathon speed and making the game last as long as possible. The most I go is epic and even that's rare.
>>
Nothing. Its the best Civ game with both expansions.

Can they improve on it with Civ VI? Of course. But that doesn't mean Civ V went wrong.
>>
>>320785064

Happiness used to be separate for each city

Now it's nation wide
>>
>>320784310
casualized version of civ4
>>
>>320785617
Whats wrong with that
>>
>>320785617
It removed one the most tedios aspects from the game, retard
>>
Civ V BNW = Civ4 BTS
>>
>>320784310
4 > 3 > 2 > 5 > 1
3 and 4 had the best mods. That warhammer mod for 3 is amazing.
>>
>>320785768

Nothing is wrong unless you like to focus on one very specific strategy of spamming cities. Which the shared happiness can also be exploited to benefit that as well if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>320785246
but why, I've literally never gotten a valuable trade relationship
>>
File: NpsLhqw.jpg (84 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
NpsLhqw.jpg
84 KB, 800x450
I can think of about 20 things that could improve Civ V. But they are things that previous Civ games either didn't have or didn't fix. So Civ V is still my favorite in the series.
>>
File: 1386528549324.jpg (39 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1386528549324.jpg
39 KB, 500x375
>>320786096

>1 the worst

u havin a giggle m8
>>
>>320786726
The default price for resources is 7 gpt or 240 lump sum if you're not getting that then they don't want to trade with you/don't like you
>>
>>320784310
Just so boooring compared to civ 4.
When is the next expansion for BE?
>>
>>320786249
Spamming cities means you need more culture and you get more unhappiness so its balanced
>>
>>320786820

Why is he holding large sized anal beads?
>>
>>320786249
Wasn't city spam the go-to stradegy of 3 and 4 as well? I actually don't find spamming cities to be useful in 5 unless you're India or something where happiness isn't a problem.
>>
>>320787278
India's UA punishes you for city spam though
>>
>>320787387
And it hardly mattered for the massive benefit you get from being able to have a bunch of tall cities.
>>
>>320787093

I know. I was pointing to that in my post.

>>320787278

In Civ V Vanilla and Gods and Kings, going wide (city spam) was actually the most viable strategy. Since more cities = more science. And all that mattered was Science.

The Brave New World expansion balanced things out by having a greater focus on culture and less gold. So you aren't able to spam out 12 cities by turn 100 anymore. But with the right teching, the right luxury resources, religion and luck getting Notre Dame/Forbidden Palace, you can spam out 12 cities by turn 150-175.

Basically, Brave New World balanced things out. Though some civs like Maya, Inca and Poland are still ridiculous and can go for any win condition.
>>
multiplayer games take 8 hours to complete
>>
>>320788929
You mean 4
>>
>>320789149
no I mean 8
>>
>>320784310
Nothing OP...relax ur ass.
>>
>>320784310
Boring as fuck mid-game

Endless Legend is better
>>
>>320790351
How do you get past the stupidly quick approval drop in EL?
>>
>>320784310
FTFY
>>
>Civ5 fans are THAT desperate
>>
>>320787094
Because he just traded his land for them.
>>
>>320790351

>Endless Legend is better
More combat =/= better.
>>
File: 1449132139569.jpg (19 KB, 249x230) Image search: [Google]
1449132139569.jpg
19 KB, 249x230
>>320784792
>"leaders speak their native tongue which is annoying"
What's the problem?
>>
>>320790947
Pharoah Rameses speaks Arabic
>>
>>320784792

>AI still cheats
Its not cheating so much as them getting massive handicaps. If you play on Prince or lower, you get more handicaps than they do. Your problem is the difficulty setting.

>All happiness is shared.
Works fine. And can be exploited.

>AIs play to win instead of having proper diplomacy modifiers.
What? You mean 'pay' to win? Yes. That is one of the major issues. 90% of games end with a diplomacy victory because its so easy. Civ VI should fix this.

>Leaders speak their native tongue which is just annoying
You're an idiot. That's one of the best features in the game.

>Infact why is there even an emphasis on leaders the fuckers are living for thousands of years
This your first Civ game kid? If anything, there should be even more focus on leaders. Civ VI should have two leader options per civ. Each with a different unique ability.
>>
>>320784310

One unit per tile is really the only thing which went completely wrong.

It makes war so tedious.
>>
>>320784310
they removed doomstacks
>>
>>320791567
It made war actually strategic rather than who can churn the most units out
>>
>>320790649
>PEGI 18
What? What possibly could account for that?
>>
>>320792051
Scary aliens :0
>>
>>320791567

I agree to a point. But stacks of doom were also bad.

What they should have done is allow one melee, one ranged and one citizen unit to occupy each space. They do it on water for some reason (one naval unit can hover over a land unit). But on land, the only units that can stack are citizens and military.
>>
>>320791914
>It made war actually strategic

As in, the only effective way to declare war is to be two eras ahead of the enemy in tech? Even building barracks, Alhambra, and all the other experience modifiers isn't enough if both you and the enemy have units from the same era.
>>
>>320792183

That can be attributed to any 4x game. Hell, the best strategy to winning in Endless Legend is just rush science until you're one age ahead of your opponent, upgrade your units and attack.

Civ V you can actually beat an opponent who is at the same age or even higher than you. Its just tedious and takes forever. But an army of musketmen can defeat an army of riflemen and cannons with proper movement and healing techniques.
>>
>>320792168

This game would have benefited from an army management system. If you could arrange your army to have melee in the front, ranged in the middle, siege at the back, then move them all at once? Perfect.
>>
>>320792563

In Civ V, I've found the best strategy is to establish a few mutually beneficial trades with peaceful civs, then convince them declare war on runaway/warmongering civs. It's much easier than managing an army.

Endless Legend... I played the Roving Clans a few times, and that pissed me off to no end. I always reached the point where I couldn't progress without war, but the other factions refused to declare war on me. It's my own fault, I suppose.
>>
>>320784520
i'll never have the chance to play a multiplayer game for 6 hours straight.
>>
>>320793606

>In Civ V, I've found the best strategy is to establish a few mutually beneficial trades with peaceful civs, then convince them declare war on runaway/warmongering civs. It's much easier than managing an army.
That's basically what you have to do on deity. Since no matter how good you are, the computer will always have more military than you do until the Modern Era. And any time you surpass them in military, they use all their gold to buy more units.

This is one of the major flaws of Civ V. But as you pointed out, it can be exploited. This is actually why having a major warmonger civ like Shaka, Huns, Mongolia or...pretty much all of Europe is actually a good thing. They are a lot more eager to go to wear with people (both you and the AI). So as long as you keep tabs on it and bribe them, they'll avoid you and go attack other people. And then everyone else denounces them and you get billed as peaceful.

Its the friendly civs like Denmark, Polynesia and Sweden you really have to look out for. They'll stay friends with you right up to the point that they attack.
>>
>>320784520

Multiplayer is the biggest flaw in the whole game. Shared tech trees, tuns take even longer, simultaneous turns, AI opponents are even more stupid on multiplayer games, etc.
>>
I want a 4X game with the scope of grand strategy games, or just a grand strategy game without shitty borders.
>>
What's wrong with Liberty? All the LPs and guides tell me to go Tradition, but I fail to see why it's so important? Don't trade routes cover growth? It seems settler/worker/production is more of a priority as long as you have internal trade routes.
>>
>>320793606
You can totally take cities with mercenary armies, though. The real bullshit is how Necrophages outright can't aspire for diplomacy under any circumstance, since it's by far the easiest victory in the game.
>>
>>320794531
Tradition is ridiculously op
>>
Did Civ 5 ever get really good TC mods like Civ 4 would have?
>>
>>320794531

Liberty was broken in Gods and Kings and everyone went Liberty. With the Brave New World expansion, they nerfed Liberty some.

Its still good depending on what civ you're playing and what your start location is. For example, if you start with 3 luxuries in your starting city and see multiple others nearby, you should rush settlers and go wide.

But 90% of the time, Tradition will be a better choice. Since Brave New World took away gold on rivers and really lowered happiness bonuses. And Tradition gives you that overpowered stat which increases gold and lowers unhappiness.

tl;dr only go liberty if you see tons of extra happiness and rush to markets.
>>
>>320794750
Not really, no. There are a few graphical overhauls and a few mechanical overhauls, but no TCs. BE is the closest thing to a TC you'll ever get, and it's overpriced shit.
>>
>>320794651

But why? Tradition is mostly growth oriented, plus the option to buy great engineers with faith. If I set up internal trade routes, and take the reformation belief to buy great people with faith, what does tradition offer?
>>
>>320794750

What are TC mods? Civ V has lots of good mods as a whole. Though I think the Civs themselves are usually bad, I always play with enhanced religion, sped up aircraft and pantheon balance.
>>
>>320794956
Total conversion, like turning the game into a fantasy version of civ with magic and fantasy races, or a future version of civ with future tech and colonization of far off planets.
>>
>>320794869
Because out of tradition and liberty tradition's bonuses have the best scaling for later on
>>
>>320795149

You're right, as half unhappiness in the capitol is better than -1 unhappiness from city connections. Other than that, I still think having increased settler production, worker speed, and a free great person is better for establishing your empire. Especially in the harder difficulties, building cities before the other civs can is paramount. Plus, the 'free' great person can build critical wonders, or increase your science enough to get ahead.
>>
>>320795436
I usually fill tradition first, then start filling out liberty and move on to rationalism as soon as its available
>>
>>320794531
Liberty is only decent in multiplayer when the extra cities will be useful for production.

In singe player, the AI will always be so bad that you should never lose a single unit even in Deity. The 1UPT really fucks them over, really should have had supply limits or similar instead of this shit. Also need to lower unit costs much more relative to buildings because the game is so lopsided towards simcity.
>>
>>320794869

>Tradition is mostly growth oriented
Growth is the most important thing early game. And stacks with food buildings as the game goes on. Growth and production lead to everything else.

>plus the option to buy great engineers with faith.
Also one of the strongest things in the game. Liberty gives you a free great person of your choice, but only one. Really damn good for Korea or Maya, or if you don't have a religion, but not as good as multiple great engineers late game. Rush Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Hubble Telescope and CN Tower with those great engineers. This helps both wide and tall empires.
>>
>>320794159

You want Distant Worlds.
>>
>>320784310

1 unit per tile is beyond fucking retarded

I understand nobody likes deathstacks, so just limit tile capacity to 12, and make units have a size to balance it out.

You can fit 12 warriors in a tile. Or six horse archers. Or two war elephants.

Also, took two expacs to be even remotely playable
>>
>>320796087
>Growth is the most important thing early game

I completely agree with this. Still, isn't setting up internal trade routes, building granaries, ad hard-building aqueducts enough? Even without tradition, you can still have enough people in your first four cities to work all the critical tiles, and the great person buildings. Happiness is more of an issue, but can be easily counteracted by trades, and strategically placed cities.

>>plus the option to buy great engineers with faith.
>Also one of the strongest things in the game

I always found a religion, and always take the great person reformation belief. If I didn't... yeah... this would be a selling point.
>>
>>320784310

It still has the fucktarded immortal leader meme

And

>one unit per tile
>>
>>320784310
They got rid of the "create a nation" part of the game after 2.
>>
>>320796621

Well, at higher difficulties, you can't use internal trade routes. You are pretty much forced to send those trade routes to computer controlled civs and get the 3-5 science per turn from them. You basically have to steal money and science from the AI.

But on King or lower, yeah. You can go internal trade routes and just focus on hard building aqueducts/coliseums.

And again, on higher difficulties, going Piety will REALLY slow you down. But on Prince or something, should be fine.
>>
>>320797057

I play on Emperor and go Liberty 90% of the time.
>>
>>320797313

Do you go wide and focus on military or science mostly? I mean, its a viable strategy for sure. I still think tradition would work better in most cases, but its entirely based on your playstyle.
>>
>he doesn't pick piety
>>
>>320797812
I like to go mega wide but that pisses everyone off when I play multiplayer
>>
>>320784310

just like all firaxis game it needed an expansion pack to make it playable
>>
>>320796302
>You want Distant Worlds.
i want a casual distant worlds
>>
>>320797812

Typically I found 8-9 cities by turn 100 (on quick). I focus growth, production, science and culture on my first 2-3 cities, then science, culture, and gold on my other cities.
>>
>>320797948

Well then liberty probably will be best for your games. Funny thing is, all through Vanilla and G&K, I focused on going tall, despite wide being better. Once Brave New World came out, going tall got a major boost. But I was getting tired of going tall so I started going wide.

I guess I just like bashing my head into the wall until it works. But at least I know you can go both.
>>
File: 1449154154015.jpg (97 KB, 599x1876) Image search: [Google]
1449154154015.jpg
97 KB, 599x1876
>play civ 5
>within a few hours it becomes obvious how dumbed down and devoid of any planning or strategy it is
>never understand the 'JSUT ONE MORE TURN LMAO WTF ITS ALREADY 4AM?!?! XD' meme
>decide to play another strategy game
>see people on various forums recommend CK2
>play it for 10 minutes
>>
>>320798842
Here's your reply senpai
>>
>>320798842
Paradox "games" are literally only enjoyable if you have autism
>>
>>320799007
The implication of my post was that it's hard to enjoy games as simplified as Civ5, and as needlessly complicated as CK2
Civ5 was made for consoles, anyone who defends it as a legitimate strategy game has a mental disorder
>>
>>320799169
Civ 5 didn't even come out on consoles
Are you sure you didn't play Civ revolution
>>
>>320799169

>Civ V
>made for consoles

Yeah. All those hotkey commands and use of a mouse is really aimed at a console release which never happened.
>>
>>320799563
1UPT alone does simplify it so much that I can understand why someone would think it was dumbed down for the console.
>>
>>320800263

One Unit Per tile is a huge reason why it could never work on a console. Its already annoying enough to press M and point to a spot 50 times a turn. Imagine doing it with a controller interface.
>>
>>320800820
>Pressing M
>Not just RMB
Doesn't make it any less tedious but come on.
>>
>>320801208

RMB?

I have no idea what this acronym means. Please use actual words or I can't respond to you.
>>
>>320801285
Right mouse button m8.
>>
File: caesar.jpg (103 KB, 576x727) Image search: [Google]
caesar.jpg
103 KB, 576x727
>>320784792
>leaders speak their native tongue which is just annoying
fuckoffero
>>
>>320799169
>ck 2
>Complicated
Are you retarded?

Are you retarded?
>>
>>320801520
It's pretty stupid how Rameses speaks Arabic desu
>>
Civ 5 is my first game of this sort whatsoever, i'm enjoying it a lot.

Not having played these games and having been a console gamer most of my life, it seems fairly complex to me. Why the hate?
>>
>>
>>320801326

Pressing M shows you the path before you commit to moving. Right clicking leads to a lot of movements you didn't intend to make. Which can be the difference between taking a city and losing four rifleman.

>>320801579

Like 12 different civs in the game speak Arabic. Because we don't have a phonetic version of ancient Sumerian, Babylonian, Persian, Egyptian or etc.

Its not accurate, but by all means, suggest an alternative.

>voices suck wah

That's not a suggestion. Its just ignorant whining.
>>
>>320801681
when it first came out it had a lot of civ 4 features cut out for no real reason (other than so they could be put back in and sold as expansions) though civ 4 was pretty shit before expansions as well.

Civ 5 with both expansions is on the same level as civ 4, it just comes down to personal preference over 1 unit per tile (in 4 you could stack as many as you wanted so you'd end up in situations where 99 spearmen would beat your tanks...somehow)

You still get the occasional elitist though, but that's just someone trying to say I LIKED _____ BEFORE IT WAS COOL.
>>
>>320801863
Have them all speak English, have none of them speak or something

Having Rameses speaking Arabic us completely illogical you may as well have him speaking Cantonese
>>
>>320784792
>>Leaders speak their native tongue which is just annoying
I really don't get this point.
>>
>>320784428

My jungle love
>>
>>320802010

>Have them all speak English, have none of them speak or something

No. Both those ideas are even more dumb.

>Having Rameses speaking Arabic us completely illogical
Its not ideal, but its not entirely illogical. Arabic is the majority language in modern day Egypt. And civ leaders don't just represent the civ for the time period they existed. If that was true, then Boudicaa would speak Latin instead of Gaelic.
>>
>>320802168
because Adam Smith tells us no village was ever ruined by trade for a price
>>
>>320784310
>the AI is too stupid

i mean, way too easy out manouver the AI in wars

i kind of enjoy it still, been playing the community mod for a while now
>>
>>320786096
>civ 2 not god tier purely on nostalgia
>>
>>320803103
>the community mod
what's that?
>>
File: 1375296091092.gif (158 KB, 209x193) Image search: [Google]
1375296091092.gif
158 KB, 209x193
>>320802941
Please no
>>
>>320784310
nothing. a ton of people still play the game.
>>
>play as rome, expanding great, muh roads
>three way brawl going on in the south between aztec/zuluz/japan
>send a scout to see how they are doing, good lord its a bloodbath
>start putting in walls and ranged defense
>aztec great prophet incoming... whats he up to
>Your city Rome has been converted!
>realize that he wiped out all my followers and I have 0 pressure in any other city

I just alt f4 right there.
>>
>>320804212
>Letting the prophet through in the first place
What are you doing?
>>
File: two.png (153 KB, 341x247) Image search: [Google]
two.png
153 KB, 341x247
>>320804212
>played god's and ignores the mechanic.
thurs yur problem.
>>
>>320804212
Use inquisitors to prevent conversions next time
>>
File: Catherine.jpg (812 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Catherine.jpg
812 KB, 1920x1080
Not enough qt civfus.
>>
>>320803240
basically revamps the whole game, you should check it out
>>
>>320804423
>>320804429
>>320804505
I assumed the holy city was immune to that shit or at least I could buy my own GP and reconvert it.
But nope, he wiped out all trace of my entire religion.

I could just reload an autosave and kidnap the prophet but in the end I got sick of playing CivV for a week straight.
>>
>>320804212

Why would you quit? Religion is good, but you can win without it.

>>320804613

Catherine, Wu Zutian and Hungry Austria are all you need.
>>
>>320804212
a holy city will reconvert itself over time, you can also block conversions with an inquisitor garrisoned in the city or with "the wall of peace" ie putting military units in the way
>>
>>320804212
>Not blocking the prophet
>Not using inquisitors to prevent conversions
>Not warring and stealing the prophet for a free great person tile
>Not using that war to build relations with the Zulu as Shaka loves warmongers.

>>320804704
Holy cities will slowly rebuild followers unless a inquisitor of an opposing religion is used on it in which the Holy city status is removed.
>>
>>320803240
i should clarify, the community mod is actualy called "community balance mod"
>>
>>320804783
she's fat because she eats all the city states
>>
>>320804849
>with an inquisitor garrisoned in the city
It works if the inquisitor is next to the city as well
>>
>>320804704
when you assume you make an ass out of you and me.
>>
>>320804939
I'm not seeing it on the workshop
>>
>>320805092
You probably have to manually download it from the forums.
>>
>>320805017
this was meant for
>>320804890
>>
File: 1168498811679.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1168498811679.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>320804783

>start a game
>catherine or Wu Zutian in the game
>boners galore

>play game
>Isabella, Boudicaa, Elizabeth or Maria in game
>endless war, backstabbing and pure hatred all game
>>
>people here saying ck2 and eu4 are complicated
>>
>>320805158
got a link?
>>
>>320805214
other than Enrico Dandolo, Wu Zeitian is the most likely to backstab
>>
File: Capture.png (5 KB, 375x111) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5 KB, 375x111
>>320805264
Not the guy you were originally talking to but it's probably this one

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=528034

>>320805210
What?
>>
>>320805210
holy shit I'm retarded I cant even link correctly. you know who its for I hope.
>>
>>320805264
just google community balance mod/patch

its a bundle you download, 4-5 addons

you need all civ dlcs though
>>
>>320805347

In most of my games, she's a loose canon. She either goes tall and tried to be friends with everyone or expands like Hiawatha on crack and denounces everyone.

I usually just bribe her to attack people early, then everyone hates her while she loves me.
>>
>>320805347

In my games, Isabella, England and Maria are the most likely to backstab. Not counting the military focused civs like Zulus, Greece or Germany since they always hate you from the start
>>
>>320805660
they really made a mod to change the god's mechanic? what does it do exactly?
>>
>>320805410
>Newest Version: December 18th (0.12.18)

sweet
>>
>>320801525
>someone writes [notoriously difficult/complex game] is difficult/complex
>immediately someone chimes in to insist they are stupid or retarded for thinking [notoriously difficult/complex game] could possibly be challenging
like clockwork. i will never understand what brings people to post like this.
is it the only way they experience some semblance of being superior to another in their lives?
>>
>>320805781
>god's mechanic

what do you mean?
>>
>>320805214
>play as korea
>on the same landmass as boudicca, kamehameha and oda
>she spreads her religion to all my cities that gives me culture from jungles
>she fucks up japan and hawaii while I science up
>trading me silk and truffles the whole game
>have so much culture I am accidentally doing bluejeans and pop music to America and Russia
>check the score, Hiawatha has more culture than me and way more cities
>singlehandedly do world war I on the whole other continent while Celts and Japan are "Afraid"
>loot all their artwork and raze all their cities except for Onandaga and Berlin because of their Wonders
>Washington starts mouthing off so I nuke New York to teach him his place

>eventually be elected Divine God-king of Earth
>wander alone in my huge Museum admiring relics of the other civs who I wiped out, preserving only an handful of trinkets to mark their entire existence
>>
>>320784310
No Alien Invasion Scenario, merging XCOm into a 4x game.
>>
>>320806073
you said they had a mod out that "balances the game" OP is complaining that he doesnt understand the god's addon. so what does the mod do?
>>
>>320785213

If you ask them for something you don't have in exchange for something they already have/ don't really need, they're going to ask for the moon. It's pretty easy to trade luxury resources 1:1 if the ai also needs luxuries. I interpret the 'all of your gold and all of your luxury resources' as a polite way of saying no. Generally, you don't want to be asking the AI for strategic resources, so you're going to want to go as wide as possible to maximize the chance of self-sufficiency.
>>
>>320806285
well they have aliens in the new civ.
>>
>>320806640

-____- That's not what I am talking about.
>>
What leaders would you like to see next game?
>>
>>320806728
aliums dont have anything to do with actual civilization. Could it be? Yes.
>>
>>320806776
Would like to see multiple leaders for one Civilization return
Maybe 3 leaders per civ
>>
its better then 4, just like 4 was better then 3, nostalgia faggots need to fuck off
>>
The problem with Civ's multiplayer is that it's an unstable equilibrium. Once a player swipes a critical wonder from a competing player, or researches a tech one turn before another player, it's all over.
>>
>>320806986
for you. You need to make a strategy and stick with it. if you see you are being out whateverd switch to the strat that no one is using.
>>
Douchebag AIs that just suck the fun out of the game.

It becomes immediately obvious that you, being the human player, are some fucking outcast in this grand game.

Multiplayer is unstable as fuck, and players are too impatient to have proper balanced rules (ie no fucking simultaneous turns in warfare).

And again, shit AIs like motherfucking Hiawatha who spread their cities like a fucking disease all over the world, and then denounce you and give you shitty trades for the remainder of the game when you show even the slightest dislike for them having dropped a shitty ass city in your backyard.

If the AI could build tall, like 99% of the human players do, it'd be so much fucking better, but of course they're too retarded and have to multiply across the landscape.
>>
>>320807191
I once fought a Siam AI in a jungle world (with lots of food) and he had 20 god damn cities. How was he not drowning in unhappiness.
He also made 200+ gold per turn.
>>
>>320807191
if someone puts a city in your area they dont respect you. Ask them to stop if they laugh destroy them.
>>
>AI declares war on me
>Raze one of his cities so that he'll fuck off
>Every other AI throws a bitchfit about "wah ur a warmonger you should just kill his units and let him suffocate your borders"

I fucking hate this shit.
>>
>>320784310
>Only one ruler for country
>Dumb AI
>Expansions to introduce shit that was already in a previous game (religions, et cetera)
>Unbalanced
>SJW rulers (what I mean by this is that they put a female ruler wherever they could no matter how historically unrelevant they were, a mythological ruler even in case of carthage)
>Simplified technology, policies etc.
>the only thing it improved compared to CIv IV was combat. And it does not even matter because AI is to dumb to use it.
Also I feel that if you are going to go one unit per tile, you should make it maybe more like TW series or Heroes? And that one unit per tile rule would ony apply to battle screen since the way they have done that, the map is simply too crowded.
>>
>>320785768
It's a dumb simplification made to cater to casuals. Now happiness is a non issue, since you can have one city with high output to completely offset any problems that might come from a recently conquered city.
>>
File: uni.jpg (213 KB, 1019x760) Image search: [Google]
uni.jpg
213 KB, 1019x760
Playerbase changed and game changed according to it
Civ4 got caveman2cosmos, orbis, Rhys...
Civ5 got this
>>
>>320790947
This is an autistic complaint from me, but several of them don't speak the language they would historically have spoken...
>>
>>320807350
Yes, and then be denounced by every other civilization and have no luxury trades at all.
Because they can't grasp that the AI you just fucking stomped was asking for it, all they see is some douchebag warmongerer (you) stepping on some innocent's turf.
>>
>>320806776
peter the great for russia instead of catherine
>>
>>320807379
they will respect you as soon as you dominate that ass.
>>
>>320798842
>>320799169
You would enjoy Civ 4 much more.
>>
>>320807329

AI gets free happiness and gold the higher the difficulty. And every time they have happiness, they make another city. The only way to stop it is early expansion to take their land. This causes them to switch to military and attack you, but its better than the AI getting 12 cities by turn 120 and rolling you.

The worst game I ever saw was a game where Hiawatha started on another continent and had like 7 luxury resources. By the end of the game, he had 40 cities on two continents! And that's why I don't play continents anymore.
>>
>>320807379
What I really hate is on a large map, you have countries you have never even met living on some other half of the Earth, and they get super sad if you are fighting someone else right next to you.

Why the fuck do you care? Stay on your continent.
>>
>>320807505
sounds like you are weak. All the ai will shit on you if they think you are weak.
>>
>>320807398
>SJW rulers (what I mean by this is that they put a female ruler wherever they could no matter how historically unrelevant they were, a mythological ruler even in case of carthage)
Hiawatha was a mythological ruler as well and he has a dick
>>
>>320785571
This. Civ V Vanilla is the worst civ, but with G+K and BNW it becomes one of the best
>>
>>320807594
The AI shit on the player regardless.
>>
>>320807897
nope. everyone will zik ya dik if they think you can beat them.
>>
File: 1450550342165.jpg (85 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1450550342165.jpg
85 KB, 540x540
>>320807970
zuk*
>>
>>320807505
I wish I could mod because it really bothered me how simplistic and broken the warmonger system is without a casus belli system in place.

The way it should have been was that you can only denounce someone if they actually do something to you (to stop the endless cycle of denouncements once someone decides they don't like you) then when you're fighting a war have the warmonger penalties scale based on what type of war it is like in EU4.

-war of aggression: 100% warmonger
-punitive war (you have denounced them): 75% warmonger
-defensive war (they dow'd you): 75% warmonger
-holy war (unlocked with full piety): 0% warmonger with nations that share your faith 200% with the target faith
and wars against another ideology have 50% reduced warmonger with civs that share your ideology
>>
>>320807970
The thing is the higher difficulty you set it to the more innate advantages the AI gets, and they use those as part of their calculations for who is weaker. It gets to the point where you can kill off their entire forces by camping your archers on a river and they'll still think you're an easy target and won't fuck off.
>>
I you have trade routes to A civ and you declare war on them, to the caravans immediately die?
>>
>>320808140
sounds like you turtle. you take one of their cities and they will do almost anything to stop the war including give you a couple cities.
>>
>>320808269
Yes, and then every other civilization in the game will spend the rest of the game plotting against you and giving you shitty trade deals because you razed a city in a defensive war hundreds of years ago.
>>
File: culture (2).jpg (1003 KB, 1680x2092) Image search: [Google]
culture (2).jpg
1003 KB, 1680x2092
bravo sid
>>
>>320784310
I've only played vanilla. I forced myself to sink about 60 hours into it, but fuck me it was garbage.

I've heard from just about everyone that the expansions improve it a shitload. Can't bring myself to give it another go though.
>>
1UPT was a mistake. I understand they wanted to stop death stacks, but it completely fucked up the game. Having a capacity per tile would've been better (could have also added some extra depth with certain terrain having lower/higher capacity and certain units taking up lower/higher capacity, certain units could also lower the capacity of a tile by setting it on fire, causing an avalanche, etc).

also
>some civs are hilariously overpowered (Poland) and some are just awful (Sweden)
>BNW culture victory is better than vanilla but ultimately you're still just watching numbers/meters go up, boring as fuck
>diplomacy is ridiculously easy to pull off (especially with any gold-related civ, like Venice)
>dominance is arguably the most "exciting" victory but it takes a really really long time because of all the micromanagement and you have to deal with all the anti-war mechanics in place (lower production, diplomatic penalties, happiness penalties, science penalties, culture penalties, reduced GPT, city defenses, etc)
>AI is terrible at everything, very easy to exploit, and higher difficulties just give them lots and lots of advantages instead of improving their behavior
>AI still gives value to low-tier strategic resources like iron/horses in the late-game
>AI diplomacy is fucked in general
>world congress is a nice addition but has major problems
>defense pacts don't actually do anything
>generally gets super boring in the late-game because you're usually either extremely far ahead or extremely far behind, there's no exploration or (peaceful) expansions left to do, your strategy is already set in place, etc

I could go on. There's so many things that need to be fixed and I have a feeling that Civ VI will either be a rehash or even more streamlined. Still addictive as fuck though.
>>
I just started it. Having an immense amount of fun. Such fun I haven't had in years with a game. I've been playing it literally all day long. My eyes are blood shot to hell.
>>
>>320808370
you have to wait for some asshole to get froggy. they dont like it when you start wars but once someone attacks you be brutal and take them out if you feel like it. Nobody will call you out on that.
>>
>>320808469
why does everyone say poland is OP, their UA and UUs seem pretty unimpressive and every time I play as them I spawn on some flat land in the middle of everyone and get constantly invaded
>>
>>320807675
To be honest I did not know that. But I dont think it justifies putting Dido in front of Hannibal, Theodora in front of Julianus, or Wu Zetian ( usurper ruling for only 15 years) many much more relevant Chinese rulers.
>>
File: 1447090328074.jpg (170 KB, 600x481) Image search: [Google]
1447090328074.jpg
170 KB, 600x481
>>320808380
>rolling across the landscape with my elite strike squad decked with OP promotions, taking capitals from the unworthy AI
>"Your empire appears quite puny. I'd watch your back if I were you."
>>
>>320808380
I once had a game where The Ottomans initial settler was accidentaly within a city state Island and never got out.
By the end of the game we are all world powers and they are still a tiny settler unit without any cities or land.
I had all these quests to "Discover the lands of the Ottomans..." from citystates and it was impossible.

And then, Suleman kept pinging me to share how pathetic he thought I was. I was like BITCH YOU ARE A SETTLER.
>>
>>320808562
The AI doesn't actually make a distinction between a war where you were attacked or one where the AI attacked you, it exclusively looks at the number of cities you capture.
>>
>>320808571

Because getting a free policy every era is actually ridiculous.
>>
>>320808571
Poland gets a whole policy tree for free by end game, and their Hussars are absolutely OP.
>>
>>320808725
source. because I beat the shit out of this game. the AI needs all the cheats it can get.
>>
>>320807398
The only one that pissed me off was Theodora. What the fuck were they smoking? Even her description hints at how much better a choice her husband would be.
>>
>>320808697
>>320808380

One of the big things Civ VI needs to fix is allowing the player to do everything the AI does. Why can the AI make idle threats and call you out on having units next to their boarders, but you can't do it to them?
>>
>>320807472
As a Danefag it was annoying to hear Bluetooth speak modern Danish.
Have him speak Icelandic, that's much closer to how Danes spoke back then.
>>
>>320808725
They'll vindicate whoever made the declaration of war, as well as cities taken.

It gets retarded if you have a defensive pact with someone who gets declared upon, you're looked at as a bad guy for declaring war on the civ that declared war on your ally.

IIRC, the DoW warmonger penalty is 250 points, and each turn warmonger penalty lowers by 5 points. That's 50 turns of scorn if there's a civ that absolutely detests warmongers. Game speeds don't factor into how quick these points deteriorate.
>>
>>320808571

Think of it this way. Most civs take about 120 turns to max either Liberty or Tradition.

Poland can max both in the same time period. Which causes them to have faster growth and production. Which leads to faster culture buildings. Its spiral of broken.
>>
>>320808618
empress wu was one of the more noteworthy chinese emperors, if only for the fact that she was the only woman to ever claim that title in the Chinese Empire's 2100 years of existence. She was a competent leader and patron of the arts too.

There are plenty of other meh leaders in the game though, Harun Al-Rashid is one that kind of bothers me. All he really did was rule over the caliphate at its zenith and not have it collapse under its weight, it started its decline under his rule.

But yeah Dido and Justinian's cocksleeve were fucking horrible choices. Along with that celt bitch who did nothing but try to beat Rome, fail miserably, run away leaving her men to die when the battle was lost and still get captured.
>>
>>320808832
>the AI needs all the cheats it can get.

I will agree AI is terrible, but anything above emperor is impossible for me due to the massive advantages AI gets. Is there some secret to win this? Most scenarios are fine, but the extra settlers, tech, andincreased outputs of everything is just too much to deal with.
>>
>>320803103
>>320805410

Is there a patch notes for this somewhere that details what was changed? Did they fix defensive pacts so they're actually worth using?
>>
>>320808571
Hussars are amazing, by far one of the best(if not the best) warmongering UU, and they only get better with the free social policies

Furthermore the UA makes sure that they don't have to expend culture to pick up neat bonuses from other policies, and into the late game they swallow up autocracy faster than anyone else can

Basically, the snowball of Korea only with warmongering
>>
City Capture: (1000 * est_num_cities) / (actual_num_cities * victim_num_cities)
Declaration of War: 250
Denunciation: 35

So it looks like it actually does slightly factor in whether you declared war or not, but overall the penalty is mostly determined by the cities you capture.
http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Warmongering_%28Civ5%29
>>
>>320808902
>Theodora
>not significant ruler under whom empire spend years not fucking dying
I want postgame gate /v/ to leave, SJW fucked many games but civ5 wasn't one of them(it's still pretty bad game)
No wonder memefags like you love this game so much
>>
>vanilla civ 5
>tech all the way up
>build a giant death robot
>holy shit this is awesome
>embark it
>killed by barbarian galley
>>
>>320809045

All reasons that civs should have two leader choices. Each with a different UA.

The Celts could have had Boudicaa and Wallace. One focuses on religion benefits, the other focuses on military benefits.
>>
>>320809045
I think the only reason they chose Boudicca because she is very well known. Not many people can name another Celtic leader off the top of their head.
>>
>>320809071
dont up the difficulty until you can dominate the difficulty you are on. You pick up a lot of tricks and strats on the way. I'm sure you already know that you need to max out whatever you are going for. Dont just pick what you think is best for right now. Have a plan.
>>
>>320807417
not how it works anon, read up on local on global happiness, no matter how many colliseums and cicusses you have in your capital it can never give more happiness then its population (luxury resources and wonders are an exception to this)
>>
>>320790501

Sewer systems, luxury boosters, and empire plan.
>>
>>320808992
if its any consolation William of Orange speaks archaic Dutch
>>
>>320809109
its basically a new game

probably 1000 changes
>>
>>320809263
>Wallace
You meant Brennus maybe? Or Vercingetorix? I dont recall any Celtic ruler named Wallace.
>>
>>320790918

The combat system is straight-up better. When you're talking about multiplayer, it's not even a tossup. The advantage a player gets from getting the first shots off in Civ V is completely unacceptable in what is supposed to be a turn-based strategy game.
>>
>>320809263
So like CIV IV then.
>>
>>320809192
not saying its SJWs but they did clearly pick certain leaders to have more women on the roster

Maria I for example, not even near the top of noteworthy leaders of western spain.
>>
>>320809553

William Wallace. Look him up.

>but he's scottish!

Yes. But that's still considered a derivative of the Celts. If you don't count it, then you might as well not count Elizabeth since she's related to the Normans and not native British Anglo Saxons.
>>
>>320808571
>very time I play as them I spawn on some flat land in the middle of everyone and get constantly invaded
At least you can't complain about the game not being realistic
>>
>>320809776
yeah that was how I felt when I was playing it, as soon as I fought off one civ another declared war on me
>>
>>320805214
>wu zeitian
>boner
the moment you think she's hot she looks like a doll, and then youve got some uncanny valley shit going on that ruins it.
>>
>>320791092

We don't really have any idea what Ancient Egyptian sounds like though. We can read Egyptian because it's a pictographic language, but the language it's based on is lost. Civ approximates a lot when the actual language can't be replicated, and yeah, Ramses is probably one of the most egregious examples (probably just decided that modern Egyptians speak Arabic and there isn't even a decent analogue of Ancient Egyptian), but the effort at native and native-esque languages is actually a touch I appreciate.
>>
>>320809907

All she has is heavy makeup. Which you can claim Elizabeth or Theodora looks like a doll.

She doesn't have the lifeless expressions of a doll. She is one of the more expressive leaders.
>>
File: montezuma_aztec.jpg (60 KB, 313x306) Image search: [Google]
montezuma_aztec.jpg
60 KB, 313x306
MOBAN
PANOS
>>
>>320809776
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UL8MCgwTlk
>>
File: 1446091606662.gif (497 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
1446091606662.gif
497 KB, 500x259
>play as rome on continents, Emperor difficulty as usual because Immortal is pretty big, stressful step up
>want to make use of my unique units because why play as Rome otherwise
>take over the entire fucking continent of five other AI before explorers from across the sea can witness my terrible crimes
>play peacefully once the world congress is established, everyone's alright with me
>>
>>320809716
No, and on so many levels.
Firstly, descendatnt of the Picts and they were not Celts]
Secondly By the same logic you would make leader of kievan rus, Bohdan Chmielnicki or Stepan Bandera instead of Jaroslav
>>
>>320810252
I love doing this
you basically control the game at that point
>>
>>320810263

>Firstly, descendatnt of the Picts and they were not Celts]
You mean the same Picts that are used as a unique unit in the Celtic civilization in Civ V? Yeah, see. The Picts sided with the Celts and intermarried with them.

>Secondly By the same logic you would make leader of kievan rus, Bohdan Chmielnicki or Stepan Bandera instead of Jaroslav
I have no idea what civ you're talking about now.
>>
>>320784310
nice civ thre...
why is it the worst players are always lore nerds.
>>
>>320810252
Welcome to Roman Empire!
Everything is fine here, nothing is war!
Please do not read all these different city names.
>>
The games are now made to churn out money rather than make turn-based strategy games where you can nuke Mongolians as Ghandi
>>
>>320797057
It's only really in Deity where you can't fuck around I think. I play on Immortal and have no problem with focusing on internal trade routes.
>>
>>320784310
>What went wrong?

Mostly people pretending its not a good game with all the DLC and a few community mods.
A few actual design flaws, but those are covered up by the great audio and visual presentation, and the addicting gameplay.
>>
>>320785087
>City can be too overpowered in multiplayer if you know what the fuck you are doing

What are nukes?
What are bombers?
Never had a situation where a multiplayer city was invincible, even with stupidly high combat strength you can nuke it.
>>
>>320810601
I'd say there's a huge difference between Emperor and Immortal. You can do some unorthodox shit on Emperor and still rise to the top by mid game.
But on Immortal, it feels like you really got to focus on science and not fuck around wasting time building worthless shit not conducive to catching up with the AI.
>>
>>320810581
>>320810252

>play Rome
>never get iron and always start in jungle/grasslands

>play Japan
>always start in desert and have no fish

>play as Poland
>start in forests and never get horses

>play as Iriqoius
>start in plains and never get trees

No wonder I just end up defaulting back to Maya or Inca most of the time.
>>
>>320810836
>play as Brazil
>start in the jungle, without fail
>your unique abilties don't make use of this shit for a long time
>you have no fucking production
>get the fuck out the jungle nigga
>>
>>320810802
>multiplayer
>nukes
>bombers
You are pretty bad at this game, right?
>>
>>320810909
If there are any Jungle/hill you gotta chop those down asap.
>>
>>320810456
They made picts unique unit? Thats silly.
But you have a point they intermarried. But they also intermarried with Danes, Norwegians, Anglo-Saxons and all other invaders that came to British isles. Calling William Wallace a Celtic leader is just as wrong as calling Sadam Husain a Sumerian leader.
>I have no idea what civ you're talking about now.
Not a civ that was in the game, just a hypothetical situation.
>>
>>320784310
>be me
>play as arabia
>desert start
>FUCK YEAH
>abundant luxury resources
>NICE
>scramble to find a ruin with faith or temple tech
>get desert faith
>get trade/desert wonders
>PROFIT
>maintain peaceful relation until mideaval era.
>Declare war on everyone
>CAMELS
>kill all old worlders, new worlders discover you. rinse and repeat.
>>
>>320810923
>multiplayer
>not decided by who gets the bigger bomber stack earlier
>not finished by getting nukes before the other guy gets shelters

No, anon, you are bad. Meanwhile I play with the civ fanatics stack and noquitters.
>>
>>320810252
when I play as Rome I like to name my legions going with I Legion, II Legion etc never reusing the same legion name even if I lose the unit.

On my last game I went conquest and the last city was conquered by the first and 19th legions, the first legion was the warrior I started with.
>>
>>320807427
>got this
what is this are where do I get it?
>>
>play as Huns
>warrior finds an upgrade ruin and becomes a ram
>wander past an enemy civ
>their warrior is away from the capitol
>dow and conquer them before turn 10
I love doing this
>>
>>320807427
You changed, useless sack of shit. You no longer look up good mods.
Google for Communitas Expansion Pack.

Also, caveman2cosmos was an exercise in patience, since your game starts running considerably slower, the AI sperges all the time, and it crashes in singleplayer, while desyncing in multiplayer.
Dont act like Civ4 was a perfect game, or that its mods were flawless. It only shows you havent actually played the game much.
>>
>>320807509
Get real. There is a female leader quota that has to be filled, else you get smashed by reviews and activists.
At least Russia, China and England have good female leaders that make sense, so they are an auto include.
>>
the one thing about civ 5 that really frustrates me is that you can't use ships to escort trade routes
>>
>>320811475
spain as well
>>
File: dance_dance.gif (403 KB, 160x224) Image search: [Google]
dance_dance.gif
403 KB, 160x224
>>320811297

>turn 6
>meet Alexander
>he denounces you the next turn for being within 40 tiles of his lands
>declare war on him and take his city by turn 20
>>
>>320811297
>>320811619
>justsettlerthings.gif

You arent allowed to play for fun. Deity only, no restarting, final destination.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.