[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The flaws with undertale are as follows: The RPG system is mechanically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: Frisk.png (479 B, 38x58) Image search: [Google]
Frisk.png
479 B, 38x58
The flaws with undertale are as follows:
The RPG system is mechanically terrible. In terms of actually playing a role that you set out to become, it is driven by story almost entirely, with zero love given to the LOVE system. I can undertstand this was a stylistic choice, but if it was intended to have RPG elements it failed its intentions.
The genocide ending falls into the seemingly more common trope of "Even though you have triumphed through every hoop we have given you, you still lose", which removes power from the player. Some find this to be ok in terms of story, it drives me up the fucking wall. Hated it in Bioshock Infinite, hated it here.
The pacifist ending does the same, to a lesser extent. Goatboy is still lost. #ripgoatboy
The only mechanically difficult bossfight is Undyne the Undying, even then it's not all that hard after you get through it the first time. Everyone else is a god damned cakewalk, aside from sans, which is challenging in more of a memorization sense than a mechanical sense. The only time that dying in a fight crosses my mind is during the Undyne and Sans fights.
The walk to Goatboy is a long one. Pls nerf walk.
The Genocide ending is piss poor. Plain and simple. I can't even justify it as a story element, because it has no pay off whatsoever. Biggest challenge, least reward. You don't even get to fight the BBEG.
>>
>>320782052
Oh...
>>
no-one cares about your pony game, fk off
>>
>>320782289
There aren't even ponies.
If only
>>
Excuse me OP, but this isn't /r/Undertale. If you want to have an Undertale thread, you have to put 'Undertale' in the title box. I was told this by a janitor, bypass of filters is now a bannable offense for users.
>>
>>320782447
I was unaware. Thank you fellow user. I will keep my cancer elsewhere.
>>
>>320782052
Jesus, you expected discussion here, of all places?

Come over to /utg/, where we can tear your "flaws" to pieces.
>>
>>320782052
>The RPG system is terrible!
It's simply not conventional and wasn't made to offer you a RPG experience.

>The genocide ending is a common trope
Lol no. A genocide route never ends. Even if you try a good ending, you end up with a genocide one instead. That's not a common trope.

>The pacifist ending does the same (removes the player's powers)
You didn't play it, did you?

>The only mechanically difficult boss is Undyne
Difficulty is relative. I had trouble with the spider boss too, and had to try again with Mettatron. Sans is also pretty difficult. And as I said before, this is about the story, not the RPG gameplay.

>The walk to Goatboy is a long one
Will you bitch about anything else? Holy shit

>The genocide ending is piss poor
This again?

Undertale has flaws, but none of those are them. I'm not a shill but you people must understand that Undertale never aimed to be an AAA experience filled with genius mechanics and lots of replayability. The "game" medium was used to convey a story because it fits, they made great use of mechanics such as saving and loading, among many other 4th wall breakings.

You can't review Undertale by using RPG criteria. This is a game with no genre, honestly. It's like a visual novel with RPG elements.
>>
We get it, you're mad that undertale won over meme games like ff7 or oot
>>
>>320784072
>visual novel with RPG elements
We already have one of those, and it's actually good. It's called Monster Girl Quest
>>
File: _20151212_072744.jpg (223 KB, 1328x1316) Image search: [Google]
_20151212_072744.jpg
223 KB, 1328x1316
DELETE THIS RIGHT NOW
>>
File: hj.jpg (137 KB, 600x658) Image search: [Google]
hj.jpg
137 KB, 600x658
>>320784384
>visual novel
>good
>monster girl quest
>good
>>
File: 1430360053136.png (212 KB, 617x461) Image search: [Google]
1430360053136.png
212 KB, 617x461
>>320784676
>implying
>>
>>320784072
>RPG system wasn't made to offer you an RPG experience
Did you even fucking read what you wrote?
>>
>>320785029
Yes.

The RPG system was made to support the story.
>>
File: maze.png (215 KB, 963x718) Image search: [Google]
maze.png
215 KB, 963x718
I don't know why people hate on it

It's fucking hilarious
>>
>>320785162
This is so funny.
>>
>>320785071
So the game isn't an RPG.
>>
>>320785304
No shit. That's what I said. Read the entire post.

>You can't review Undertale by using RPG criteria. This is a game with no genre, honestly. It's like a visual novel with RPG elements.
>>
>>320785368
Why is it classified as an RPG if it isn't though?
>>
>>320785304
Correct
>>
>>320785503
>You can't review Undertale by using RPG criteria. This is a game with no genre, honestly. It's like a visual novel with RPG elements.
>This is a game with no genre
>no genre
>RPG elements
>RPG

They went for the genre that got the "closest" to it.
>>
>>320785162
I'm completely out-of-touch with humanity. Undertale had some decent wit, but most of it was trash.
>>
>>320785304
>>320785503
It's a godforsaken JRPG-Inspired game, jesus christ. Most JRPGs deviate from the original RPG formula and do stuff like what you see in Undertale.
>>
>>320785503
>I can't think for myself!
>I'm a child

Haven't even played this dumb game, but you're a fucking faggot
>>
File: fuckyourpuzzle.png (110 KB, 636x433) Image search: [Google]
fuckyourpuzzle.png
110 KB, 636x433
>>320785162
The funniest parts are during a genocide run.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.