[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nintendo's 2015 was the best of times and the worst of times
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
File: 「NOSTALGIA ULTRA」..jpg (105 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
「NOSTALGIA ULTRA」..jpg
105 KB, 1080x1080
>Let's face it: In the world of video games, Nintendo exists in a state of constant scrutiny. More often than not, the Japanese company is targeted for being "behind the times" or "out of touch" with what its fanbase wants. Looking back, however, we see a more dynamic mish-mash of good and bad decisions.

Highs
>New Nintendo 3DS
>Nintendo Cross Buy
>The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past comic republished
>Retail Wii Games come to the Nintendo eShop
>Mario Kart 8 DLC
>Nintendo records first annual profit since 2011
>Earthbound Beginnings comes to the US
>Nintendo signs deal with Universal theme parks
>Nintendo NX Announced
>Some pretty amazing games, ie. Splatoon, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M, Majora’s Mask 3D, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario Maker, and Yoshi’s Woolly World
>SplatNet / Miiverse overhaul
>The Nintendo PlayStation

Lows
>Club Nintendo Closed Down
>The Nintendo Creators Program
>Amiibo Shortages
>No live-action Zelda series for Netflix
>Metroid Prime: Federation Force
>The failure of Nintendo TVii
>Miimoto
>Satoru Iwata passes away
>Some pretty mediocre games, ie. Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Devil’s Third, and Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
>Zelda Wii U and Star Fox Zero delayed

Mixed
>Nintendo announces partnership with DeNA

source: http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/18/nintendos-2015-year-in-review/

What do you think, do you agree or disagree? Did they forget to add anything for either side?
>>
The lows outweigh the highs.
>>
I just hate nintendo because they usually get away with the shit that other companies take FLAK for, like rehashes, barely improving upon previous titles and horrible design decisions.

But its all cool when nintendo does it, right?
>>
Theres literally nothing noteworthy in the highs beside XCX
>>
>>320775626
I'm pretty high if you know what I mean xD
>>
>>320775442
2015 was the worst year for Nintendo in games.
The only thing they sold was Amiibo, and people are growing sick of them by now.
>>

Please explain to me how this is a bad thing.

Only a hardcore zelda faggot could delude himself into thinking a live action zelda series would be good.

It wouldn't, it would be ridiculously cringeworthy.
>>
As much as this sucks too hear.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ybbHBk5DwQ
>>
File: 1440872540825.gif (1 MB, 268x278) Image search: [Google]
1440872540825.gif
1 MB, 268x278
>>320776423
We could have at least gotten some decent memes out of it
>>
>>320775442
>highs
>New (redundant but please buy) Nintendo 3DS
>a comic
>A theme park woo not video games
>We know absolutely nothing about the NX, at all
>Autismverse
>S.T.E.A.M., YWW
>Amazing Games

>"Medoicre" games

The wiiu has a few decent games and is an ok-ish console, but 2015 was straight up horrible
>>
>>320776620
like we need more /v/ x /tv/ crossboarders
>>
>>320775442
That pretty much is the benchmark for "it could be worse" for Nintendo. When that happens it officially couldn't be worse for them.
>>
File: 1303918519527.jpg (18 KB, 352x352) Image search: [Google]
1303918519527.jpg
18 KB, 352x352
>those "highs"

Is this a joke?
>>
Nintendo got shit on from every angle in 2015, they even lost the gameFAQs poll to Undertale, which is such a minor thing, but really strikes home just how bad 2015 was for them if you think about it really
>>
>>320775442
Satoru Iwata is in a better place. Reunited with Nintendo at last.
>>
>>320775442
>Nintendo's 2015 was the best of times

Yeah, that must be why I, an all life Nintendo fan have a Wii U.

I don't and probably will pass NX
>>
>>320775442
For older fans, Nintendo has done barely anything worthwhile with their home consoles. Handhelds and only a few WiiU games I can count on ONE HAND, have been worth any of my trouble.

Their jewing with amiibos, DLC paywalls everywhere, lackluster 3rd party support which despite fanboy denial is STILL IMPORTANT. It's only going to get worse from here. Nintendo's only chance is to push out a really strong console, put ABSOLUTELY NO GIMMICKS in their games, and strengthen 3rd party support to get their classic Nintendo 3rd party games that their consoles are known for like Megamans, castlevanias, and such.
>>
>all those nothing "highs"

Hahaha
>>
>>320776321
You hate nintendo for something other people say?

Thats like me saying I hate you, because other people haven't called you a faggot. See how that's wrong? Hate the media, not nintendo.
>>
>Highs
>LttP comic republished
>Splatoon does well
>Nintendo records first annual profit since 2011
>XCX and M&L:PJ

>Lows
>Too many to count, that even its fans start to turn on the company
>>
>>320776321

People who don't play Nintendo games commonly criticise each sequel for being exactly the same as all the previous games they didn't play either.
>>
>>320778052
I have been playing Nintendo games all my life, and even for me this is getting too repetitive.
>>
File: New Super Mario Bros U.png (753 KB, 858x480) Image search: [Google]
New Super Mario Bros U.png
753 KB, 858x480
>>320778235

Maybe you should play past the 1st level of each game then buddy.
>>
File: 1409019741475.jpg (183 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1409019741475.jpg
183 KB, 894x894
>>320775442
Thats some pretty depressing highs

>celebrating dlc, a company you dont work at making profit, and them jewing you with another 3ds model
>>
>>320776321
>I just hate nintendo because they usually get away with the shit that other companies take FLAK for, like rehashes, barely improving upon previous titles and horrible design decisions.
>But its all cool when nintendo does it, right?

Yeah, they should do what Bethesda, EA and Activition do to their properties
>>
File: 1432545447362.jpg (350 KB, 1401x639) Image search: [Google]
1432545447362.jpg
350 KB, 1401x639
>>320778420
Maybe you should play older Mario games to see the problem
>>
>>320776926
both highs and lows are stupid. how is iwata's dead nintendo's fault?
>>
>>320779386
The poor e3 showing finally stopped his will to live.
>>
I've played them all the only difference between now and then is that we're getting both 3D and 2D games as opposed to the disappearance of the Super Mario Bros series games between 1996 and 2006.

EAD4 making New Super Mario Bros instead of ports has no impact on EAD Tokyo making 3D Mario.
>>
Whoops this >>320779518 was meant to be in response to this >>320778758
>>
I think this happens because

A: Nintendo has had a long history relative to video games, most other active publishers haven't.

B: Nintendo had a period where they led the Golden Age of video game software (at least for consoles but arguably just in general)

Recently they have slipped but it's probably because they aren't adapting to how much the video game market has changed.

People say Nintendo is going to the casuals but if they were they would be doing well, they did that in Gen 7 and made bank.

In gen 8 they made various miscalculations, even despite this they still dominate handhelds such that their only direct competitor has confirmed no further handhelds will be made.

Everybody says mobile competes with them but I don't agree. I think it overlaps with handhelds for sure, but it's not a direct competition, mostly because most mobile games play very differently unless they're puzzle games. The default input for mobile games is trash because of the Steve Jobs philosophy of "no buttunz ALLOWED".

Nintendo is still profitable though, there core strategy of cheaper hardware and strong IPs is just being leveraged more than it ever has before.

I'm curious to see what happens with the NX.

Too many people feel they need to be Michael Pachter. Let's just see what happens. Buy what you like, don't buy what you don't like. We're in the post information age, you can research any game if you have the ability to shitpost here.
>>
>>320778758
So how do you innovate and maintain 2D platforming Mario?

Because the NSMB series is meant to be a 2D platformer, they don't want to make them something else, that's what people like about them. You can mess with lots of things within that broad genre, but you don't go and turn it into a different genre. They can do that with other brands.

With 3D Mario they've innovated more, yeah, mostly because it's easier to do.

The most recent "innovative" 2D platformer I played was Ori and the Blind Forest and while it was a treat it didn't RADICALLY change stuff that 2D platformers have been doing for a while. It was creative though.
>>
>>320775442
>Nintendo Creator's Program

How is this a low? That lazy youtubers can't make all their money from other people's content now?

>No live action Zelda series

How is this a low?
>>
>DLC and mediocre games
>high

ayy
>>
>>320782562
>How is this a low? That lazy youtubers can't make all their money from other people's content now?

A: You're right it's not a low.

B: They can make money, they just don't make 100% of the money which many youtubers are furious about because they get to with all other products.

It's really embarrassing when they say it's not about the money and then you tell them

>Well then you shouldn't have an issue because this allows you to make content to your hearts content, but if you use their property they take a portion of the ad revenue

>WELL IT'S ABOUT PRINCIPLES

Yeah the principle that you want more cash.

Pedro is a good representation of all of those people who I'm sure go around whining on whatever social media venue they use.

It is about money. If these Jews admitted that, I wouldn't have a problem with them.

Just say that you want 100% of the cash, don't call it some conspiratorial or unfair policy.
>>
>>320782947
Even if they admitted it I would look down upon them. Pirates are bad people because they play games for free. Youtubers aren't bad people because they make money off of other people's shit for free.
>>
>>320784038
They make money off shit that the companies allow them to though.

Pirates don't have permission to pirate, Youtubers do have permission (either directly or by lack of contesting) to do that with company's stuff.

I think people who make good content are good people but whiny youtubers who are also greedy are shitty.

I don't even watch any (video game related anyway) that's just how I feel about them in general.
>>
>>320784797
>Youtubers do have permission

Just because you haven't been arrested doesn't mean you have permission to sell coke to children.
>>
>>320785271
Anon let's just quit with the retarded analogies okay.

If nobody copyright strikes them, they have permission by absence of that. You have to challenge it, otherwise you're allowing it.

No such scenario exists with cocaine, just with intellectual property rights and online video sharing sites.
>>
>>320785360
>Let's quit with the retarded analogies

Fuck right off. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement is copyright infringement. You damn well know that just because no one has stopped them doesn't mean that they have "permission". It means that no one has stopped them.

How about I punch you in balls? You haven't told me no so, I assume I have fucking permission. This analogy works because you're fucking retarded and yes, this ad hominem is necessary.
>>
>>320785726
Well they don't have permission but they don't need it if nobody is challenging them.

I will challenge you if you want to punch me in the balls and you'll lose, kid.
>>
>>320775626
Yeah, RIP Iwata. :(
>>
>>320785726
Fair use is an exemption to copyright anon
>>
>>320775442
2015 was the worst year for Nintendo in a very long time, if not ever.
>>
I want to say them publishing Devil's Third at all is a high, even if they probably did it for the wrong reason.

Not to mention, NoA fucking left the game out to die. It's not even that fucking bad of a game, it's one that definitely needed a few more months in development, but it's not 44/100 bad. At all.

Funny thing though, Devil's Third has TWO SETS OF CREDITS. One is for Valhalla and Nintendo and the other is for outsourced shit, licenses, and people who funded the game.
>>
File: 1450272411960.png (3 KB, 448x357) Image search: [Google]
1450272411960.png
3 KB, 448x357
Why do people keep on mentioning Club Nintendo closing as a negative?
Arent they planning a restructure and relaunch at some point?
>>
>>320775442
>>No live-action Zelda series for Netflix
YOU FUCKING FACEBOOK NERDS NEED TO F U C K O F F!!
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.