[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Booted this game up for the first time in years because so many
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: 260px-super_mario_64_box_cover.jpg (803 KB, 1000x696) Image search: [Google]
260px-super_mario_64_box_cover.jpg
803 KB, 1000x696
Booted this game up for the first time in years because so many people have been shitting on it lately.

It's still fun as shit. Everyone who says it "hasn't aged well" or "it's not good by modern standards" is just trying to justify their shilling of their FotM indie crap. Yeah, the controls are a bit clunky, but you get used to it quickly and it's not a deal breaker. It's still leagues better than modern bloated AAA shit and pretentious indie shit.

And no, that's not just nostalgia talking, I've had other games ruined for me in spite of my nostalgia for them. OoT is a great example, it was my favorite game as a kid but going back years later, I realized how tiny it really was. But Mario 64 still holds up.
>>
>>320752389
I think you meant to post this to BlogFAQs.
>>
>>320752534
Nope, I meant to post it here.
>>
File: 1449973862604.jpg (12 KB, 252x147) Image search: [Google]
1449973862604.jpg
12 KB, 252x147
>1 unique poster
>>
File: undertale.png (358 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
undertale.png
358 KB, 800x449
>>320752389
Is there a certain game that has you mad, OP?
>>
>>320752389

>controls are a bit clunky

What? They arent, if anything they are the only thing that has aged perfectly over time. It controls better than new super mario and almost exactly as galaxy and world, pure platform bliss.
>>
I've never had a problem picking up older games and playing them, I don't understand this "aged" thing
>>
File: 1449971262075.gif (2 MB, 436x376) Image search: [Google]
1449971262075.gif
2 MB, 436x376
>>320752824
>tfw there are people on /v/ RIGHT NOW who took this poll seriously and got legitimately mad and make shit threads to lash out
>>
The great weakness of SM64 was one of organization. Having seven overlapping objectives strewn
across an irregular, open level is no way to construct a coherent game—as the camera clearly shows! Certainly,
some of the Lakitu-cam’s dreadful mechanics were a result of Nintendo’s inexperience in 3D; after all,
there weren’t any 3D games quite like SM64 whose example they could follow at that time. But much of the
camera’s bad behavior can be blamed on the level design, too. Programming a camera that can follow Mario
through the weird, experimental geography of these levels would be a truly onerous task. Super Mario Sunshine,
which used a very similar design scheme, did a little bit better with its camera but it still has a reputation
for having levels which are hard to see.

Super Mario Galaxy solves many of the problems with level organization and camera problems by
changing its design. The purpose of the “galaxy” formation is to create discrete challenges in a 3D environment.
Any time the designers can use discrete challenges, evolutions, expansions and mutations suddenly become
very useful and fairly easy to execute. Yes, there are still some larger, open sections of levels that have wonky
camera movements. But, in essence, Super Mario Galaxy manages to reclaim the best design aspects of the 2D
Mario games and reiterate them (successfully!) in a 3D game.
>>
>>320752389
I agree. Maybe I'm just THAT GUY, but I still like the way it plays. Everything other than the controls is still the best 3D Mario has seen to date, anyways. Only Sunshine could beat it in atmosphere.
>>
>>320754926
>The great weakness of SM64 was one of organization. Having seven overlapping objectives strewn across an irregular, open level is no way to construct a coherent game

pretty much this the level design is one big sandbox
>>
>>320754490
Fuck that poll, it makes it look like people who hate the undertale fanbase are just salty over the poll, but actually the undertale fanbase has been cancerous since undertale came out.

I haven't even played the game, I know nothing about it but I fucking HATE the fanbase, complete autists.
>>
>>320753127
Try playing Tomb Raider.
>>
I think a lot of people are more satisfied by platforming challenges that appeared in Galaxy, and to a lesser extent Sunshine than hopping around a 3D playground.

>Rainbow Ride and Tick Tock clock
Most of the game is just a big jungle gym, there are only a couple exceptions.
>>
>>320753127
Games don't really age well or bad. But sometimes when the new thrill is gone and bias set aside we realize they aren't as good as we thought.

Mario 64 made out okay. But when I played it again I had to admit the camera is a bit off, I missed the power ups of earlier titles, and the controls while better than most at the time are fairly wonky. What gets me is how slow the game is having grown up with older Mario games where you could turbo through stomping bad guys. This one has a much stranger version of momentum and stopping to Mario punch something means having to start up the run again.

Still the game was creative as fuck and I love the painting jumping mechanic and castle as a hub world. It may not be as good as I remember, but it is one of the very few surviving N64 titles. Mario Kart being the other that comes to mind.
>>
camera's still shit
tiny corridor levels like hazy mazy are still shit
boss battles sucked
>>
>>320756509
>and the controls while better than most at the time are fairly wonky.
I disagree. I still think they're the smoothest of all the 3D Marios. Sunshine is on par. Galaxy has great level design but sluggish movement. And 3D World has the slight 8 way lock that 3D land has and less movement options over all.
>>
>>320752389
it's a great example of how when a new platform only has two mediocre games, one of them will be hailed as a masterpiece for the ages

see also smash, splatoon
>>
>>320752389
the controls are not clunky. ive seen videos of people doing cirque de soleil shit in this game, flyin through the fucking entire thing in under 50 minutes
>>
>>320752389
I don't wanna ruin it for you, but "Mario64 is bad" is just a meme that the 7 year olds use. Just ignore it, it's like Minecraft and shit, you won't understand it.
>>
>>320757589
What is Bayonetta 2
>>
>>320757916
more niche than popular

but still mediocre
>>
>>320752389
OP you are such a faggot Nintenyearold

SM64 is terrible and so is OoT
>>
>>320755849
It's something I miss in the newer 3D Mario games, which guide you through the nose to get the ONE star you're ONLY allowed to get. No reward for going off the beaten path.
>>
File: 796.jpg (27 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
796.jpg
27 KB, 625x626
>>320758087
>>
I actually remember disliking it on release, I'm probably the only one but whatever sunshine felt a lot better.
>>
>>320756214
Not him but what's wrong with Tomb Raider? I replayed it one or two years ago on my Saturn and had a blast with it. The controls are good enough.
>>
>>320753127
Games don't really age well or bad. But sometimes when the new thrill is gone and bias set aside we realize they aren't as good as we thought.

Mario 64 made out okay. But when I played it again I had to admit the camera is a bit off, I missed the power ups of earlier titles, and the controls while better than most at the time are fairly wonky. What gets me is how slow the game is having grown up with older Mario games where you could turbo through stomping bad guys. This one has a much stranger version of momentum and stopping to Mario punch something means having to start up the run again.

Still the game was creative as fuck and I love the painting jumping mechanic and castle as a hub world. It may not be as good as I remember, but it is one of the very few surviving N64 titles. Mario Kart being the other that comes to mind.
>>
>>320758094
>No reward for going off the beaten path.
Green stars / star coins.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.