[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How anyone have a guide on planning a game? What about marketing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Digital_Estate_Planning.png (1 MB, 1320x1089) Image search: [Google]
Digital_Estate_Planning.png
1 MB, 1320x1089
How anyone have a guide on planning a game? What about marketing? I've just started writing the intro to my game and I'm quickly realizing that anyone that would come on to make music or art or whatever would have a hard time grasping what the game was all about.
>>
File: Creative Genius.jpg (208 KB, 834x469) Image search: [Google]
Creative Genius.jpg
208 KB, 834x469
As a fellow game designer if you can't convey the meaning of a scene, character, or your game at large through text then you need to keep writing until you can.
>>
>>320750620
You're starting in the wrong end, mate. The first thing you should be doing is to create a prototype or proof of concept on your core mechanics. Once you have something that's playable, only then can you start fleshing it out. At that point, you have something to show off when presenting the game. If you start with the story, you'll go wrong.
>>
>>320750918
I actually don't have a story yet. Writing the intro really helped me figure out how the main character talked. So I show this proof of concept to the potential partners to see if they can dig it?
>>
>>320751116
Pretty much, yeah. But as >>320750882 said, if you can't put your idea into words it's most likely because it isn't polished enough. Decide what it is you want to do; platformer, RPG, strategy, whatever it is, and the premise of your story, and then put that down into writing. Then you can go to the prototype stage.
>>
Start with the game part, the rest comes later.

Seriously anyone can do a scenario. Just see if you can work with the engine, do the sprites etc first.
>>
>>320753546
Know any good resources for learning pixel art?
>>
>>320753546
>do the sprites etc first
Start with programmer art and focus on the game logic. Art, music, sound effects, writing, etc., all comes second.
>>
What level of Game Maker is the best for a small indie game?
>>
>>320755561
There was a Game Maker Humble bundle a few months back, so there's a chance there will be another one in the future. That being said, I've only used the full version so I don't know the differences.

There's a tutorial on how to make a game from no prior experiences by the developer of Gunpoint that uses the free version, which leads me to believe you can start there and go full if you feel you need / want to later on during development.

https://youtu.be/DN6dZWXUEzA?list=PLUtKzyIe0aB2HjpmBhnsHpK7ig0z7ohWw
>>
>>320756069
Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I have some basic experience in Java and Python so hopefully I'll be able to pick this up.
>>
>>320757317
That should be a big help with the programming aspects. You can do a lot with the built-in features, but it's much better to write it yourself.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.