[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is art? are video games art? all art tries to convey an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Tom Clancy's Sphincter Cell.jpg (50 KB, 838x627) Image search: [Google]
Tom Clancy's Sphincter Cell.jpg
50 KB, 838x627
what is art?
are video games art?

all art tries to convey an experience or a feeling, so we can say that art is the tip of the blade of our ever evolving language centers. if this is true then we can't say that video games are art since they rely on training a set of physical motions that a person does not need language to learn. if video games cant contribute to language at their basic level then they can't be considered art.

do you agree /v/?

pic unrelated
>>
>>320722156

Nobody cares about art
>>
>>320722156
videoGAMES are not art in the same vein that tabletop games are not art. They are games.
>>
>>320722612
>>320722784

then why do people try to convince everyone that videogames are art every time someone calls out a video game for being violent/sexist/whatever?
>>
>>320722915
er by people i mean gamers
>>
File: 14625814.jpg (188 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
14625814.jpg
188 KB, 2560x1440
Indigo Prophecy single-handedly proved that games are indeed art, just look at this fucking shot here which is from the opening scene of the game.
>>
>>320723786
yes that is truly inspiring. you are and idiot.
>>
>>320723786
The more letterboxing the more art something is.
>>
>>320724248
Pretending to be retarded is my favorite memme too, brofist bro.
>>
File: 1450113030480.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1450113030480.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>320723786
and then it turns into DRAGON BALL Z
>>
>>320722156
This shit again? Copy of what i can say so you can paste it to somewhere:

Art is a viewpoint. What is art for me might not be art for you or someone else. Art is not a fact or truth, it's a paradox.
>>
>>320722156
>what is art?
Any work that elicits a profound emotional or intellectual response.

>are video games art?
Some are.

But video games as a medium has several factors against it being considered art:
1. It's a very young medium. Think of how long it took before movies and comic books were treated as art.
2. Consoles don't have backwards compatibility (or a full version of it) so people can't experience the full extent of the medium.
3. Emulators are dubiously legal and not always accurate.
4. OSes also change are not always compatible with older computer games and emulators.
>>
File: 122.png (1 MB, 976x552) Image search: [Google]
122.png
1 MB, 976x552
Fun fact: All swastikas in german video game releases get censored. That is because video games are not considered art. Swastikas in movies are fine, tho. Movies are art.

The law states the symbol may only be used in the context of art or education.
>>
Video games are art the way movies are art.

But for every Citizen Kane, there's 10 Santa Claus Conquers The Martians.

So it's all art...but some of it is just shitty art.

Personally the concept of games as art doesn't bother me, but the pretensions of the creators do. "This game puts you in control; if you were a North African shitfly, would you eat more shit or fly around to find some shit? We really wanted to get behind what it meant on a philosophical level to be a north african shitfly."

Nah, fuck that shit. Fun over message, always.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.