[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much money do you think Tobey actually made from this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 800x450
How much money do you think Tobey actually made from this?
>>
>>320714023

Steam Spy showing ~485k owners. At 10 dollars a game, 4.85 million. Steam takes a 30% cut so ~3.4 million before taxes and before paying the 2 or 3 people that contributed a bit.
>>
>>320714328
That's a lot of clams.
>>
>>320714328
Don't forget the $50k he got from Kickstarter.
>>
>>320714023
according to /v/'s SJWminati theory, literally billions
>>
>>320714459
most of that money was likely burnt through during development. Not a lot for two years work.
>>
So how did this generate so much hype to enable it to become so successful? Redpill me on indie marketing.
>>
>>320714676
It tries to be funny and tug at heart strings for the sake of it, and the modern gaming generation eats that shit up for whatever reason.
>>
>>320714676
It was probably seen by the right people at the right time, but Toby also knew exactly who to cater for, and sowed the seeds in all the right places.

People can come up with all sorts of conspiracy theories, but even if he ended pocketing 2 million of the final revenue, that is barely a drop in the bucket to create any sort of really meaningful marketing.

It's simply Generation 2015: The Game and people ate it up.
>>
>>320715083
One way I can think of to really make any investment in marketing work, assuming your game is something today's kids might enjoy, is to throw cash at a popular streamer or youtuber to play/review your game, and watch the zeros add on to your downloads counter.
>>
Millions.
>>
>>320714676
furries
>>
>>320714676
Take a look at the kickstarter video:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002143342/undertale/description

It pretty much left out the less cutesy parts of the game and focused on making it look like a cute furry adventure.
>>
>>320714575

It's basically just 2 years livable wage, depending on where he lives (which is actually his parent's basement so probably didn't need that much).
>>
>>320716097
Keep me mind the original goal was just 5 grand.
>>
It wasn't doing so hot, then I told Toby to put a few animal dudes in it so he added some dogs and goats. /v/ pounced on it screaming FURRIES FURRIES FURRIES and gave him all the free marketing he needed.
>>
The game got successful by being unconventional.

Pretty simple.
>>
>>320717301
The game got successful by pandering to Tumblr
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.