[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of running arbitrary categories in speedrunning?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1446087774656.jpg (132 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446087774656.jpg
132 KB, 1280x720
What's the point of running arbitrary categories in speedrunning?

Shouldn't you be either going for:

- any% (getting to the end ASAP)
or
- 100% (doing what is needed for the game to officially reward you with a 100% completion rating)

Why run anything in between? Wouldn't that be arbitrary?
>>
>cosmo
>not narcissa
TRIGGERED
>>
>>320676825

The more relevant a game is, like OoT or SM64, the more arbitrary categories are created.
>>
>>320676825
I think it's more for people already in that crowd. Like you're a speedrunner, you wanna do OoT, but it'd take years to get anywhere near the people currently resetting the records.
"I can't do that, but I can do this."
Nobody really gives a shit about any of it, so you may as well set records where you can.
>>
>>320676825
low% is valid in the case of games like the 2D Metroids
that shit is hard
>>
I haven't kept up with the speedrunning community in a while, what happened with cosmo?
>>
>>320677861
tumblr
>>
>>320677760
>low% is valid

why
>>
>>320676825
Both of those categories are already arbitrary since the only real goal is to beat the game, you're just defining additional conditions to achieve before beating the game.

Some categories are really interesting to watch anyways, like beating Zelda without the sword.
>>
>>320676825
Maybe what you don't understand is that speedrunning is a self-motivated activity.

example: you decide it would be fun to speedrun Mega Zelda Bros. You are aware that there are ways to zip through walls, go out of bounds, warp around and so forth but since you've never played the game normally using those tricks you decide to not do them. You don't care about the strict definition of your personal category, it is literally just doing what you consider to be the most fun route to speedrun for yourself.

So you do your glitchless Super Zelda Bros run or whatever. If enough people out there had a similar thought process, then it gets called a "category" because you need a way to talk to each other. People propose and agree upon the rules for the category, and that's it.
>>
>>320676825
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHA1qxsLH-0
My mind wanders...
>>
>>320676825
>not just running what ever you feel like at whatever %

fuck off with your cosmo thread
>>
>>320676825

Glitchless% is probably a useful thing, since it's beating the game as quickly as possible without breaking it or exploiting loopholes.
>>
>>320677339
To be fair, in SM64's case, any% is defined by the number of stars obtained to reach the end, be it 0 star, 16 star, 70 star and so on, hence the classifications. (I may be wrong about 16 by the way).
>>
File: 1338483565083.jpg (19 KB, 413x310) Image search: [Google]
1338483565083.jpg
19 KB, 413x310
>>320678886

Any% often involves game breaking glitches and perfect execution of tricks, so that's a big barrier to those aiming for that record

Sub categories like glitchless any% make sense in that case, or for example with a game like SM64 70 star is easier than 16 star. It keeps things fresh and fun and honestly not everyone is going for world record. Speedrunning can be recreational, or something somebody does for enjoyment and to push themselves to reach a personal best. Then you have stuff like tool assisted runs, which are more like works of art than live performances considering the painstaking, careful work that goes into them.

tl;dr people will run whatever categories the community accepts as legitimate, or even just made up challenge runs for any reason at all.

Posting my favorite speedrun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayaWIKM9iRE
>>
>>320678049
The lower the percentage, the more impressive the completion.
>>
>>320676825
News flash: people speedrun games they like to game.

Categories let people play parts of games that get skipped in other speedruns, or get played in a boring way.

fucking idiot
>>
As someone who wants to get into speedrunning, it's kind of annoying when people don't make tutorial pastebins for people who want to get into the game, and if you try to get info about it from places like /srg/, all they do is drop hot memes and newest speeddrama.
>>
how about a fucking run that's 10 hours? WTF
>>
>>320680530

foolish mortal...
>>
You lads seeing what's happening in Trihex's stream right now?

He's got a girl over watching him and he's dropping his spaghetti all over the place
>>
probably whatever is fast and showy but not too tough to do live reliably. some things might just be too out of the way to make 100% fun to watch, and tricks to get any% really fucking fast might require tool assistance and that detracts from the spectacle of being "pure" player input glitch.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.