[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never played any of the Final Fantasy franchise. Not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: Final-Fantasy-VI.jpg (189 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Final-Fantasy-VI.jpg
189 KB, 1024x768
I've never played any of the Final Fantasy franchise. Not one game.

Final Fantasy VI is currently on sale on steam and I'm considering purchasing it and playing it this weekend. I'm currently researching this game and I came across a video that said Final Fantasy VI is actually Final Fantasy 3 in the US (I live in the US), so now I'm really confused as to which Final Fantasy is actually on sale on steam.

Is the Final Fantasy that is currently on sale on steam Final Fantasy VI or is it Final Fantasy III?
Is it a good one to start this franchise on? Should I buy it and play it this weekend or should I play a different Final Fantasy as my first Final Fantasy experience?
>>
in the same boat and would like to know as well
>>
>>320664091
The main thing that is preventing me from pulling the trigger are the reviews for Final Fantasy VI on steam.

There seem to be a lot of people unhappy with the steam version of this game.
>>
>>320663959
>>320664091
It's 6. Somewhere out there it is titled as 3 but that is never used anymore. It was because the first 3 FF games didn't come out in the West. Anyway, everyone everywhere now calls this game FF6 and never 3.

>>320664972
Dunno it looks a bit more cartoony now. I played the psx rerelease and loved it.
>>
I wouldn't even bother buying this due to the ease with which one could emulate it on one of the various systems it's been released on. I think SNES or PS1 would be your best bet
>>
Final Fantasy 6 on Steam is the actual Final Fantasy 6. It was called FF3 in the US on the SNES.
>>
The problem with the steam version is that it's the casualized iphone port with poor graphics, poor music, a terrible UI, and all the flaws of the SNES and GBA versions with none of the positives.

If you want my advice, play FFVI modded from someone who has the rom. Either the GBA version with restoration patch, or SNES version with "Brave New World" mod.

The steam version is a blatant lazy port.
>>
>>320665230
I'm not Op but I'm interested in getting into game emulation. Can you point me in the right direction?
>>
It's been said before, but don't buy the steam version.

Play a patched ROM of the original SNES version for the most pure experience.
>>
>>320663959
Don't play the Steam version, it's been completely bastardized and made to look ugly as fuck.
Emulate the SNES version.

>>320665524
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/bsnes.html

http://www.emuparadise.me/Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_%28SNES%29_ROMs/Final_Fantasy_III_%28USA%29/33709-download

Spoonfeeding 2 the maxxxx
>>
>>320665701
what is a patched ROM?
>>
>>320665802
thanks!
>>
>>320665806

That's when you modify it with something made by a rom hacker. Usually it adds new content, fixes problems with the base game, or reworks balance. The modding community is pretty tight knit and they do some fine work if you know where to look.
>>
>>320665806

The original game, but with hacks installed to fix issues, or add content.
>>
The steam version is in HD with HD sprites. Get it. Its really good. The old versions are wayy to pixley like indie shit, hurt my eyes but the steam hd remake is amazing.
>>
>>320663959
Just emulate it.
>>
>>320666068
Fuck off you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>320665524
It's really pretty easy I think if you know your way around a computer and the internet

What are you interested in emulating?
>>
As others have said, the Steam version is not the best version. It can be emulated on anything these days. If you can read Japanese, play the Japanese SFC version. If not, play the English SNES version if visual and audio are important to you (and the localization's fine. I prefer playing in Japanese, but I still like the English version well enough for the most part). If you want a more faithful translation than nice visuals and music, go with the GBA version.
>>
>>320666154
>What are you interested in emulating?

I know absolutely nothing about emulators. I guess I would be interested in playing some of my favorite NES games from my childhood.
>>
>>320665524

Man, it's easier than ever these days. We didn't have guides when I got into it.

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

This should help. Finding games is easy, just Google {name} ROM
>>
>>320663959
Play it on a SNES emulator, Googling emu general is a good start.
I'd say VI is a really good place to get started with the series
>>
>>320663959
Don't. Steam version is just a straight port of the iOS version (ie the worst version). If you want to play it on PC, get the rom that's been posted in this thread.
>>
>>320666215
How do you feel about emulating on PS1 vs SNES?

Are the loading times that bad? That is the criticism I always hear against PS1 releases
>>
>>320666370

I'm downloading it right now. Thanks everyone.
>>
>>320666134
Oh yes I do.
I tried playing 6 on snes and gba and they are OUTDATED tou nastolgiafag. The pixel bullshit looks ugly and unpleasant to the eyes, it hasn't aged well. Meanwhile I played the HD version on steam all the way through. Its great, the graphics are remade and the characters actually look good.

But keep denying that nostalgia fag.
>>
OP if you have no nostalgia towards the SNES sprites than the PC version is fine. I won't say the sprites are good, but they aren't as bad in motion.

>>320666428
There is a loading time for opening menus. It's pretty awful.
>>
>>320666428
I've always heard the loading times on PS1 FFVI were awful, I'd go for the SNES version since there's no loading and things move along faster.
>>
>>320666428

The PSX load times are godawful, I don't know how I ever put up with them.
>>
>>320666428
I love Final Fantasy VI, but the PS1 version is unplayable for me.
There's a several second load time before every battle, where with SNES the transitions are almost instant. It just doesn't work with the higher encounter rate and fast pace of the 2D games
>>
>>320663959
Games don't age well. I loved FF7 but I just can't play it again. Just emulate it.
>>
>>320663959
No, don't buy the steam version. Emulate the SNES or GBA version for free. The sprites in the steam version are fucking disgusting and even the environments look terrible.
>>
>>320667128
>Games don't age well
People who say this just tainted themselves with modern instant gratification games
>>
>>320666519

if you're going to have shit opinions at least have them quietly
>>
>>320667379
Some age well, I still play Ape Escape almost every week.
But games like FF7 and even that batman game for the sega genesis feel too obsolete.
>>
>>320665802
Use this rom and then use this patch: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386
>>
>>320667891
FF7 plays the same as any other JRPG from that time. If it's the graphics you could always use mods if it bothers you THAT much.
>>
>>320667128

>Games don't age well.

I'm so glad I've never cared about graphics and can still enjoy a game if I keep in mind the time period it came out.
>>
>>320666134
Ever heard of 720 or 1080 hd? It looks much better.
>>
>>320666134
>>320672674
You're both fucking retards.

The first one for not recognizing irony when it's thrown into his face, the second is just a complete and utter retard who can't comprehend anything.
>>
>>320663959
>>320664091
dont get that version. emulate either snes or ps1 versions, or buy on psn.

fuck that mobile game text and sprite work
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.