[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Square intentionally release a bad game as a follow up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: ff2.png (9 KB, 510x450) Image search: [Google]
ff2.png
9 KB, 510x450
Why did Square intentionally release a bad game as a follow up to the game that saved their company?
>>
dolla dolla bill yall
>>
You know when you think about it they basically tried to do what Elder Scrolls does for its levelling system but the technology just wasn't there yet

There now I've hijacked your shitty bait thread into an actual discussion
>>
FF1 was a mess too, they just got lucky and all the broken shit didn't ruin the experience.
>>
I like FFII.

It gets a bad rap. I like it the best out of the three NES games.
>>
>>320641423
FF2 was a major success in Japan, sold better than 1.
Japan also likes it.
Japan hates FF6 though for example.
>>
I still want to know more about NASIR. It just seems so odd that some noname Japanese studio in the 80s would hire a middle eastern programmer and bank on him so hard that they temporarily moved to the US with him when his green card ran out.
>>
A whole lot of ambition went into the game, but technology and lack of a real template made it crash and burn. I think FFII is the worst game in the series, but I think it's worth respecting for that.
>>
>>320642103
He literally created the engine for the early FF games.
Without him they couldn't do shit since it was his code and only he understood it.
>>
>>320641845
Japan doesn't hate FFVI, but they do consider it an inferior follow-up to FFV, which a lot of westerners would probably agree with if we hadn't missed out on it for so long.
>>
Ya'll niggas bitchin' bout it but none of ya seem to realize dat shieet was popular as fuck in Japan yo
>>
>>320642394
Or if most peoples First final fantasy game wasn't 7 or 10.
>>
>>320641423
Because it was a time for new experiments, companies actually took risks to see what kind of things their fans like. See Castlevania II and Zelda II.
>>
>>320641691
That's kind of how I've always thought of it, too. It had some neat ideas, but the implementation of them along with system limitations at the time didn't do the game any favors.
>>
>>320642394
V and VI are both really good but very different, I couldn't pick which one is better.
Actually, every Final Fantasy is a completely unique experience, even today. Shame about XIII ruining the consistent high quality though, and I don't see much chance of XV being good
>>
>>320642394
FFV's gameplay is honestly better but the story, graphics, and music of FFVI make for a much more memorable experience. Both games have a major problem with being reliant on grinding, though.
>>
>>320641423
Sell all weapons and make everyone a monk master race checking in.

Makes that game so much easier.
>>
>>320643516
I'm not sure if you could do this in the original but in the GBA version you could kill almost anything including bosses with just the teleport spell, so I ended up making my party dual wield shields and use magic.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.