[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RIP HTC Vive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9
File: HTC Vive.png (240 KB, 955x611) Image search: [Google]
HTC Vive.png
240 KB, 955x611
So HTC just announced some things:

-Vive games aren't coming to Steam but instead HTC's own store
-Vive games aren't DRM free anymore, if you are a dev you HAVE to release your game on the HTC store
-They use DRM SDK instead of more or less open source SteamVR

Seems like the tables have turned again for the Oculus Rift. I wish I could just time travel 6 months in the future and see what the situation is when both have come out.
>>
Have you got a source for any of that.

Because every article on it in the last week seems to indicate the exact opposite.
>>
>>320593660
>Vive games aren't coming to Steam but instead HTC's own store

Nah, you're full of shit.
>>
Oculus is also using it's own store/social platform
>>
File: tuTthBf.png (320 KB, 1662x1390) Image search: [Google]
tuTthBf.png
320 KB, 1662x1390
>>320593765
>>320593808
https://developer.htcvive.com/us/hero.php
>>
File: 7YUJiVY.png (7 KB, 767x131) Image search: [Google]
7YUJiVY.png
7 KB, 767x131
>>320593865

Also check /r/oculus and /r/vive
>>
>>320593865
>When you publish to HTC Viveport
its_fucking_nothing.tiff
>>
>>320593865
That's an SDK for their shitty store.

It doesn't mean game have to be published through it.
>>
File: 8dYRKDE.gif (2 MB, 256x144) Image search: [Google]
8dYRKDE.gif
2 MB, 256x144
>>320593660

>So HTC just announced some things:

Wrong, someone pulled two images and some html off of their site.

>-Vive games aren't coming to Steam but instead HTC's own store

Wrong and stupid.

>-Vive games aren't DRM free anymore

Wrong, because they never were going to be DRM free in the first place.

>if you are a dev you HAVE to release your game on the HTC store

Wrong.

>-They use DRM SDK instead of more or less open source SteamVR

Doesn't even make sense.

Congratulations OP, you've managed to demonstrate a clear lack of reading comprehension, critical thinking and common sense.
>>
>>320593926

This came from neogaf initially and you're trying to redirect to reddit?

Nice try sonypony but this was also proven to just be a sdk for their store and optional. Keep trying though
>>
>>320594045
>Wrong
They announced Vive 2 Dev Kit and the HTC SDK
>Wrong and stupid
>>320593926
>they never were going to be DRM free in the first place.
I think Valve has said Steam isn't obligatory for Vive games, but you can play regular DRM free games too
>Wrong
>>320593926
>Doesn't even make sense.
What I was trying to say is that before people could make DRM-free games for Vive, but now if they make one they have to release it in the HTC store.

>>320594063
Reddit is the place I read it about first. And I'm not sonynigger, I'm deciding between Rift and Vive.
>>
>>320594285
>but now if they make one they have to release it in the HTC store

they don't though
>>
>>320594362
Why not
>>
Will you be able to use the Playstation VR on a PC?
I'd get that since I have a PS4 but I also want to use the thing to play hentai games and shit on PC.
>>
>>320594379
it's a DRM SDK
there's nothing about it that forces a developer to use it

it's only mandatory IF they want to publish on Viveport
which they don't have to
>>
>>320594410
no
>>
>>320594410
Someone will hack it and make it work on PC but the specs are inferior to Oculus and Vive.
>>
>>320594447
If you want to have the new Dev Kit, you have to sign a contract with >>320593926 which means you have to release the game on Viveport
>>
>>320594541

You don't have to check that box numbnuts.
>>
File: niconiconi.webm (1 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
niconiconi.webm
1 MB, 854x480
>>320594483
Right, like how you can use a PS4 controller on a PC or something?

As long as it's usable I'd consider it, if not then it's out of the question. If I can't play compensated dating simulators with it then what's the point?
>>
>>320594541
then don't get the new devkit, and just wait for the fucking commercial version which releases this year

what's not to understand?
>>
gaben drones destroyed
>>
>>320594660
If I was a dev I should buy the dev kit just because HTC is retarded?

Also it launches in 4 months, not this year
>>
>>320594410

Hacking it like the ds4 but it won't be worth it since the others will have native support and superior specs
>>
>>320594743
It'd be worth it if the PS4 has exclusive VR games worth playing. I'd rather not buy two different headsets.
Still way too soon to decide either way as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>320594650
Problem with PSVR is the same problem with Sony phones. Shit tier lense that softens the image around the corners overall destroying the IQ. It's designed specifically by the limitations of the PS4. If you don't move your eyes then you should be fine though.
>>
So do I get the vive or the oculus
>>
>>320594814
PS4 can't power good VR games. Yes you might have some but the quality is just shit compared to PC games
>>
>>320594728
>If I was a dev I should buy the dev kit just because HTC is retarded?

Yes, if you don't want to publish it on their shitty platform.
There's also nothing stopping them from publishing their stuff on Steam, one second later.

If you're a dev, you want more publishing platforms.

What's the fucking damage here?
They aren't linked.
You don't have to go through another layer of DRM here.
Just buy it on Steam.
>>
File: 70a9c7c0jw1ez3np3o2u7j21hc0udn2r.jpg (212 KB, 1920x1093) Image search: [Google]
70a9c7c0jw1ez3np3o2u7j21hc0udn2r.jpg
212 KB, 1920x1093
>>
>>
File: E2F1jey.jpg (79 KB, 2500x1002) Image search: [Google]
E2F1jey.jpg
79 KB, 2500x1002
>>
>>320594821
Occulus has far better technology and some of the best people in game development working at their company. I would defininetly go with them.
>>
>>320595156

btw those are so you can 3D scan your dick with lasers and have it appear in games
>>
>>320594880
In the end there's no problem. But if I was a dev I wouldn't want to be forced to release anything on any closed platform.
>>
>>320595156
Is that hole to detect when you point your finger?
>>
>>320595264
Pretty sure Valve will have their own means of distributing devkits as they have been for the past year.
>>
>>320595264

That checkbox is optional.

This is a classic case of people jumping to conclusions before getting all of the facts.
>>
>>320595186
They also have better Facebook spying technology and viral marketing.
>>
>>320594821
Don't know yet, wait for launch of both headsets.
Vive seems to have better tracking and controllers but it's not so robust and there's all this fuckery with HTC and delays and costs
Rift seems to be more polished overall but it's for seated experiences and can't trust Suckerberg FB deals
>>
File: aiuebhfioabwef.png (23 KB, 856x573) Image search: [Google]
aiuebhfioabwef.png
23 KB, 856x573
Look at the actual source you tards:

https://developer.htcvive.com/devkit
>>
>>320595368
Facebook has barely any influence on them other than funding and marketing. the product they are making has stayed on the same course.
>>
>>320595679
For now
>>
>>320593660
htc is dead and gone like nokla
>>
>>320594285
>Reddit is the place I read it about first.
>>
>>320595738

The CV1 is already finished and in production. Devs have them, the public has tried them. We already know what the deal is and FB money has been nothing but a net positive.
>>
>>320595870
Yes, where then, here? People are still yelling eye cancer and only-screen-strapped-to-your-face gimmick. It's not like it isn't a cancerous place too, but that's the only subreddit I visit and you get the news there fast
>>
>>320595917
It's not the hardware, but the software. Jewerberg has all the rights to add ads and FB login and record you with the IR camera 1 year after the launch.
>>
>>320596048

Why the fuck would they bother doing that when the vast majority of the population already caries around a device that is literally made to record video and sound with them 100% of the time?

Why target a predicted few hundred thousand users when you already have access to MORE data in a more efficient manner?
>>
>>320595917
i used the dk2 version and the screen on it waas pure shit
>>
>>320596048
Stop making shit up without any evidence. They have better things to do than watch you play games with a Rift strapped to your fucking head. And putting adds on shit is obviously never going to happen.
>>
>>320596361

Because it is a year and a half old developer kit.

The CV1 and Vive both have much better optics, FOV, and resolution. It's night and day.
>>
>>320596223
>Why target a predicted few hundred thousand users when you already have access to MORE data in a more efficient manner?
I don't know, ask NSA

>>320596382
Good goy, of course none of that is going to happen
>>
>>320595838
at least nokia can survive on its patents
>>
I have a feeling oculus will have a larger adoption rate than vive.
For starters it has an earlier launch window, and has index finger tracking which the vive might not have, though it is possible they have that hole there precisely for that.

Even then, you have to wait several months until Q2 to get a hold of a similar HMD with similar specs.

Only thing Vive has going for it is that camera which could be neat if you suddenly wanted to type on a keyboard so you could have your camera in PIP mode temporarily to type and use the mouse.

I don't know how much comfier the track pads would be compared to the analog sticks on the rift. Track pads would probably be more precise especially if you want to move a cursor around.

Those pads on the sides, are they palm grips or buttons?

Fuck it, I'll have to wait until January 6 for them to make an official announcement about what their consumer version will feature.

Still leaning towards the oculus rift, fuck waiting for 3 months unless they have something worth waiting for.
>>
I'm not buying any headset day one, that would be extremely retarded.
More like year 2 or 3.
>>
>>320594483
The PSVR uses a stand alone console that plugs into your PS4.
I doubt it's as easy as "someone will hack it" considering no one bypassed either the vita or the ps4 yet.
>>
>>320593660
NEWS:
OP MADE SHIT UP
>>
>>320599124
Oculus will win the short game. They rebooted VR and they're making an entirely new eco-system devoted to it that won't be diluted. They're also backed by one of the biggest tech giants in the world. They have money to fund lots of exclusives and grow first party studios dedicated to VR content. They're the first VR platform on mobile too thanks to Samsung.
>>
>>320594991
HOLY FUCK
the ultimate waifu game that everyone thought is gonna be ps exclusive is on vive?
>>320595302
no. it just looks better that way.
>>
>>320601023
Yep, they're demoing at China.
>>
>>320600768

Oculus isn't gearvr
>>
OP it sounds like you're full of shit. But either way, as someone who's tried both HTC Vive and Oculus Rift, I can say that I'd still get Vive over Oculus, it's that much better.
>>
>>320601326
was the oculus you tried the CV1 or DK2?
>>
>>320601312
Store is oculus platform.
>>
>>320596725
Nigger quit going full retard, you have more to worry from cispa than you do what facebook may or may not do to make more money off of ads.

Or are you one of the special kinds of retards that figures these businesses are in it with the NSA and it isn't the government bending them over and reaming them for your personal information?

Facebook has no need to alter anything about the Oculus HMD at all, or do you assume they are "muh evil jewbls" and that they do anything other than let retards be retards with their own information while selling ad space.
>>
>>320601435
DK2 was nothing special honestly, Didn't try CV1 so I don't know what is happening with that, I plan on heading down to valve's offices to try the vive though
>>
>>320601701

>s-security let me through I'm a long time steam c-customer!
>>
>>320596048
Do you have any idea how an IR camera works?
>>
>>320601817
>L-le s-stutter meme

Nigger they give tours all the time and have booths specifically so visitors can try out the vive.
>>
>>320601817
Not me but I tried Vive at Dreamhack
>>
>>320601882

As a Sony user I would never step foot in enemy territory fagbag
>>
>>320602034
Good luck with the morpheus lol
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.