[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Undertale is meh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10
I wanna start out by saying that Undertale is not a bad game, but is it really worth all the claims of it being the "game of the year"? I played through multiple endings of the game and I would be lying if I said I didn't tear up a little bit in the Pacifist ending or I wasn't completely mind-fucked at the Omega Flowey fight, but overall the game didn't affect me much. I see a lot of people relating the RPG to reliving childhood memories, so is all the hype just a nostalgia trip? The only thing that really makes this an okay game for me was the alright characters and great music.
>>
The success of Undertale is entirely driven by people who haven't played any actual JRPGs from the last decade.

Every idea it has has been done before, both in gameplay and storytelling.

The difference is that its western made, lasts 10 hours as opposed to 50, and has a graphical style that panders to nostalgia.
>>
File: 1438174037604.jpg (133 KB, 634x900) Image search: [Google]
1438174037604.jpg
133 KB, 634x900
Undertale is two things.

It's subversive and surprising.

Your mileage varies on how much you appreciate being surprised and how much subversion you expect going in.

It's a great blind experience, but it can be hampered by being exposed to the fanbase first.

Overall its a good game though.
>>
>>320587549
Are western indie rpg devs so lazy as to not put an active world map.and be linear as fuck
>>
>>320588892
I'm pretty sure the linearity is on purpose. It was made by one dude and exists to tell a linear story without grind.

It's not even really an RPG.
>>
Thank you this board needed another faggottale thread
WHY THE FUCK ARE THREADS OF THIS GARBAGE STILL ALLOWED.
>>
>>320589058

Because people still like to talk about it.

Better this than twitter threads.
>>
It's pretty good if you've played a lot of RPGs, since the game has some commentary about some of the "tropes" commonly used, especially in JRPGs
But /v/ doesn't play games, so of course they don't like it
;)
>>
>>320589180
No, literally twitter threads is better. Them I can stand
>>
>>320589282
Then you're fucking cancer and should fuck off
>>
>>320589058
>>320589282
Why don't you filter undertale threads, anon?
You're not adding anything by complaining, and you won't miss anything from not being on here.
>>
>>320588759

I liked it. Started off a big rough with that cow but overall going genocide is the best way to play the pacifist ending makes me wanna hurl
>>
I'm sure I've seen this post before.
In no way did I find Undertale amazing as others did, but I did enjoy it, there were a bunch of other games I played that I liked more than it this year
>>
File: Bison.jpg (176 KB, 486x417) Image search: [Google]
Bison.jpg
176 KB, 486x417
I feel the same way. I think this guy pretty much nails a lot of the problems I had with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdaGXVrW5E
>>
>>320588663

Still better than anything Compile Heart or Gust has ever put out.
>>
>>320591278
>clearly never having played the Atelier games

confirmed for shit taste
>>
It's boring as shit. Just got through the Papyrus date and all I wanted to do was go back to playing Paper Mario.
>>
>>320591730

Whatever helps you sleep.
>>
File: 1449611010257.png (2 MB, 1280x813) Image search: [Google]
1449611010257.png
2 MB, 1280x813
>>320587549
I was anticipating it since playing the demo in 2013.
Really loved the full game, plus I have a thing for deferred gratification. The wait made it sweeter for me.
>>
>>320593063

>no tentacle going beneath toriel's robe
0/11
>>
File: 33333.jpg (12 KB, 239x244) Image search: [Google]
33333.jpg
12 KB, 239x244
I never played anything like Earthbound or Mother when I was a kid and still haven't played them now, so I don't think nostalgia was any factor in my enjoyment of the game. For me, anyway.

I went in completely blind a few days after it was released because I saw some threads on /v/. I can completely see, if you are exposed to it beforehand or are exposed to the community especially beforehand, that you might not like the game as much as you did if you went in blind.

I think, because I went in blind, my expectations were set pretty low, and I was pretty pleasantly surprised by the depth of the game I had no expectations for. Like when I played Cave Story, I didn't expect much, but that game had a lot of interesting gameplay, a fun story, and cool music, so it was a good experience. This is the same.

I don't really care if people don't like it or say it isn't great. I'd be happy if it stayed as small as it was when the game first came out. Large fan bases are a disaster and detrimental if vocal enough. The game wouldn't get as much as a negative reaction if it released and passed under the radar. Unfortunately that isn't the case.
>>
File: are you braindead.gif (373 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
are you braindead.gif
373 KB, 500x312
>>320588663
>the difference is that it's fun and enjoyable
>>
i must say the fanbase has a huge influx of really stupid people

I've attempted to watch a couple of twitch blind plays of the game, and every time there's multiple people in chat asking what route the streamer is on, or if it's genocide, or just spoiling stuff.

They just have to be some kids or teenagers, no adult could be so dumb.
>>
File: 1347882719608.jpg (5 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1347882719608.jpg
5 KB, 200x150
About to start filtering the undertale threads

its just fucking idiots giving their opinion when no one gives a shit, its either I LOVED IT WHY DOESN'T /V/ AGREE or FUCK THIS GAME IT WAS TERRIBLE

No one gives a FUCK
>>
File: stop.png (554 KB, 739x704) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
554 KB, 739x704
>>320587549
This is what happens when all you ever play is assfaggots and Counter Memes. When a decent game hits you it's "GOTY OF ALL GOTY NINTENDOFAGS BTFO" because you have no vidya knowledge and therefore no good games to compare it to.
>>
>>320587549
I have to agree. Undertale feels like a shallow attempt to mimic Earthbound/Mother 3, using unsmoothed, no-scanlines 8/16 bit graphics mashed together on modern hardware with little justification other than "OMG nostalgia!1" - using a linear, rather than relatively open game world to railroad you along to a certain ending. The RPG mechanics are pretty creative, at least. I don't think I've seen danmaku/CYOA/warioware mashed together so well to create a game where every fight effectively has its own rules.

Is it better than Ocarina of Time? No. Is it better than Cory in the House? Fuck No - although it's hard for any game to compete with a game that cures cancer.
>>
People keep classifying the game as bullet hell/danmaku because of some elements found in the battles but shit's way too easy to classify as bullet hell.
I can't even 1cc Touhou games but I got hit less than 5 times in this shit game.
>>
Undertale went to shit during the second half.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>320587549
>>320588663
Reminder.

NOTICE THE DATE. IT'S FROM BEFORE THE FINAL POLL HAPPENED AND ALL THE ARTICLES STARTED COMING OUT FROM SHITAKU AND OTHER SITE EXACTLY AS THE WHISTLE BLOWER PREDICTED.
>>
File: 293847456376364.jpg (101 KB, 595x654) Image search: [Google]
293847456376364.jpg
101 KB, 595x654
>>320598407
That's fucking moronic and made up.

Remember how they called The Last of Us the Citizen Kane of gaming? If a poll had come out then it undoubtedly would have topped that poll. There were people talking about how The Last of Us is showing that video games can be art. That was before Undertale even came out. And now TLOU isn't even talked about. Undertale will inevitably befall a similar fate. Undertale isn't some poster boy for these "SJWs" or progressives, quit with the boogeyman.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.