[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled can we all agree fallout 4 is a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 27
File: no comment.jpg (308 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
no comment.jpg
308 KB, 1920x1080
Now that the dust has settled can we all agree fallout 4 is a shit RPG and an insult to fallout fans?

only people that liked this game are 1) newfriends 2) reddit 3) casuls

discuss
>>
>>320578776
i am new to the series and most likely a casual but still hated this disaster of an RPG
>>
Pretty much
>>
>>320578873
fallout 1 is the best one

other fallout games worth playing are fallout 2 and new vegas
>>
It was better than 3 desu.

Not that that's saying much.
>>
>>320578776
>Now that the dust has settled
Stopped reading there, good job memelord.
>>
The main quest is alright, the combat is pretty improved. But god, where the fuck are the real sidequests? everything is just "go to settlement and clear out these ghouls! Now go to this other settlement and clear out ghouls!"

If the sidequests had an ounce of story or interesting characters it would help so much.
>>
>>320579252
it's taken 1 step to the side and 3 steps back

dunno about you, but for me the real challenge in fallout games is keeping your karma negative and roleplaying the edgiest motherfucker in post nuclear america

in 3 you could still get -1000 karma and still have people call you out for being a fucking creep

also you could murder the annoying fucking DJ

>>320579256
I don't think it's that much of an improvement over new vegas

everyone and everything is a fucking bullet sponge even on hard difficulty, and will shred your fancy power armor to bits with nothing but unusually hard peas
>>
>>320579256
I honestly think the only real improvement FO4 made was letting you loot containers and bodies without going into a separate menu, it's just a dynamic thing that doesn't take you out of the game.

The combat felt a little more shallow. Critical hits are just a button you press and the enemy AI is still every bit as stupid and predictable as it has been for the last 5 bethsoft games. Difficulty is still just choosing how much of a bullet sponge the enemies are and there are far fewer overall builds now that it's just the Skyrim "one point per level" system.

I was pretty disappointed with the game as a whole, it's all spectacle with no substance whatsoever. They somehow managed to set the bar even lower.
>>
>>320579591
>Difficulty is still just choosing how much of a bullet sponge the enemies are

What are some shooters that don't fall victim to this criticism?

I can only think of STALKER, which is just a matter of making you squishier rather than making the enemies harder to kill.
>>
>>320579256
Only few side quests that stood out to me were:

>USS Constitution
>Cabbot Family
and
uh.....
maybe the few companion quests?

Appalling side quests reletive to New Vegas and even FO3.
>>
its a good game it just needs mods

skyrim was shit too at first.

but I will agree that the settlement system is a horrible half assed attempt at making something feel immersive.
>>
>>320579709
>I can only think of STALKER, which is just a matter of making you squishier rather than making the enemies harder to kill.
as a stalker nerd I'll sperg out on you

in first 2 stalker games difficulty modifies the chance that some bullets will miss you, but the same chance for some stupid reason applies to enemies as well!

so enemies are actually MORE spongy on low difficilty, than on highest dificulty

that's why first thing anyone ever says to a newfriend in stalker general is "play on master"
>>
>>320579890
Skyrim's still pretty bad. It's not nearly as awful as the release version, but you can only polish a turd so much.

I've tried so many perk overhauls, so many tweaks and fixes, so many weapon and armor packs, and nothing can fix that awful AI and the linear as fuck dungeons. I loved that mod that turned Alduin into an actual world-eating motherfucker with a multi-phase battle, but it's still lackluster overall.
>>
>>320579887
even those quests aren't really that fun
Parson's Insane Asylum was a cool dungeon tho
>>
>>320579890
>>320580026
console friends never had any mods and they still liked it, the clueless sheep

I agree, skyrim with 70 mods is still the same shitty game, made kinda fun by all the glitches these mods cause

>inb4 mods on console pc cucks on suicide watch
you're not getting a script extender, therefore you're only getting baby's first mods, and only ones approved by bethesda
>>
>>320579163
how is it better? besides of course the advancements that come with time like better graphics
>>
>>320580591
>better graphics
hardly

in addition to lloking like shit the game now chuggs like shit without any shenanigans with draw distance, that is the only difference
>>
>>320578776
>a shit RPG
Yes if you can even call it that. Feels more like a FPS with stats and leveling plus looting
>>
>>320578776
I liked it. Fallout 1, 2, 3, & NV were shit though. fite me
>>
>>320580591
also they despawn corpses on fast travel now

I mean, most of the fun in fallout 3 came from arranging dismembered corpses into neat piles and have them stay there for the whole game

>>320580986
1 v 1 me in JKA fgt
>>
>>320580986
no one will. everyone just pities you
>>
>>320580591

Slightly less incoherent plot. Slightly.

That's about it. The perk menu was fucking horrific. Not that most of them mattered at all.
>>
File: 1448009255022.jpg (27 KB, 327x308) Image search: [Google]
1448009255022.jpg
27 KB, 327x308
>People genuinely didn't like Fallout 4

I can't stand FPS games and literally grew up with Fallout at it's release due to being an older fag. I think Fallout 4 was better than Fallout 3's bland cookie cutter attempt, and NV's detective-noir bullshit storyline about Vegas never being nuked because muh plot armor.

>Fallout 1
>Character stats are literal percentages that affect chance for certain actions
>You can just roll low and reload save states and cheat the system
>Dialogue tree is all but worthless, being (walk away) (turn NPC hostile) (expand worthless padding) and (small barter rate increase)
>Storyline was the strongest out of the entire series, but was riddled with plot holes

>Fallout 2
>Dumbed down almost everything and made the branching dialogue system almost useless
>Starts out strong and ends with you fighting LE UNITED STATES PRESIDENT xDD

>Fallout Tactics
>Good if you like TBS strategy games
>Ultimately not an RPG and not a real addition to the Fallout franchise due to the amount of inconsistency with Fallout 1 & 2

>Fallout 3
>The lowest the franchise has ever been. Literally keeping the mechanics while changing the game play, and just doesn't feel right
>Literally just stole the entire setup and story from Fallout 1
>The most stupid fucking story and an insult to the license
>Can just exploit the SPECIAL system and get all 10's and maxed out skills
>Dat level scaling
>Mad Max Thunderdome syndrome

>Fallout NV
>Strongest in the series regarding storytelling, but ultimately the weakest in gameplay
>Basically a corridor RPG with branching corridors
>SPECIAL and skill system are all but useless due to the amount of in-game buffs and permanent stat upgrades that make the game way too easy

>Fallout 4
>Tried something different with the story like Fallout 2
>Actually bothered to flesh out Vault Tec and much of the pre-war story
>Most freedom any entry in the series has given you
>Dialogue tree still allows limited stat-dependent options
>>
>>320580752
let's just say it was a bit more pleasant on the eye at times compared to fallout 3.

my point was fallout 4 fails to even reach the bethesda standards. basically all the quests suck and the world just seems a lot more bland and less interesting than the capital wasteland in fallout 3. additions like settlement building and weapon/armor modification are a joke

no way it's better than fallout 3
>>
File: YOU.png (87 KB, 736x622) Image search: [Google]
YOU.png
87 KB, 736x622
>>320581887
>hey guys I heard an oldfag pointing fallout 1&2 weak points, cause he's beaten them 10 times
>you guys will have such an epic TOLD when I attempt to paraphrase what he said from my shitty millenial memory
>>
File: 1392700720208.gif (2 MB, 350x217) Image search: [Google]
1392700720208.gif
2 MB, 350x217
>>320578776
>thought that was DX at thumbnails glance.
>>
File: Fallout4 2015-12-16 18-14-59-69.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fallout4 2015-12-16 18-14-59-69.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
hey look its this thread again

why do you need to convince people its not fun?
>>
>>320581887
you forgot to mention the current year
>>
>>320579591
This anon gets it. I am upset. Story is also shit. Same premise as FO3.
>Family member is missing!
>Go into wasteland to find them!

Only good thing was settlements and those are finicky as all hell. Supposed to be able to have 20 people due to base of 10 plus 10 charisma, why the hell do I only have eight then? Yes, I have the supplies and beds for 20, I'm being rhetorical. We all know it's because beth can't release a game without bugs.

>>320580026
Eh, I enjoyed the side quests more than the main story line. It was all about the random shit I could do that made it fun. Plus using a bow and two handed swords was fun.
>>
File: leg augment level 1000.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
leg augment level 1000.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>>320584405
you're retarded

>>320584889
I don't need to convince anyone, I'm trying to spark discussion, you reddit newfriend

/v/ doesn't understand any other language other than half maymay half inflamatory statement

there's no doubt fallout 4 is a shit game, but our job is to point out exactly why it's a shit game
>>
File: 6910_2014-04-06_00004.png (1021 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
6910_2014-04-06_00004.png
1021 KB, 1440x900
>>320585573
keep shitposting with the constant need to spout memes. what better way to reach casualfags with shit taste than to speak their retarded language.
>>
>>320585979
exactly
>>
>>320578776
Honestly Fallout 4 isn't much more of an RPG than many other open world games, like Mad Max, Far Cry etc.

These games all have skill trees, loot, crafting etc.

Funny how non-rpg games are becoming more and more like RPGs and RPGs are becoming less and less RPG.
>>
File: rpgs.jpg (133 KB, 1430x680) Image search: [Google]
rpgs.jpg
133 KB, 1430x680
>>320586172
1998 is back baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLIq4ceXZAw
>>
>>320584889
Houses in The Sims look better than that
>>
>>320586270
I was talking about AAA games, but yeah thankfully the exceptions exist.
>>
>>320586374
well witcher 3 was fairly casul, but carried by the sheer strength of the writing and that special brand of comfy only slavs can achieve (see also stalker)

it's a good blueprint for AAA "RPG", far superior to bioware and bethesda's take on the genre
>>
>>320586359
>imagine a world where you could say "houses in fallout 4 looked better then that" - as a response to a screenshot of sims 4
>>
>>320585573
>but our job is to point out exactly why it's a shit game
>but our job
>our job

what just happened
>>
>>320578989
I haven't tried tactics yet but was it really not any good?
>>
>>320586536
i would literally fucking literally rather watch paint dry on a wall then play witcher 3 i dont think you could fucking pay me to play that boring shit

>hyped
>witcher 3 is waiting for me at home
>got some snacks and shit
>rip one while watching opening cinematic
>the most boring game ive played in my life
>>
>>320587269
our job as vidya gaem nerds

we do it for free

>>320587332
to be honset I haven't played it, but it's not bad

combat in fallout was always the weakest link for me personally, o a game that's nothing but turn based battles doesn't sound too appealing

also it's not even fanservicy in any way, ther redesigned the power armor, made up bullhist weapons and bullshit canon

>>320587461
sorry man, you missed out on the best storytelling in vidya
>>
>>320579709

Every cod. You just take more damage
>>
>>320580752

>chuggs like shit

Maybe you should stop playing on a shit computer you poorfag peasant. The game runs great for me.
>>
>>320586270

RPGs on the left are a fucking chore.
>>
>>320587740
we vidya nerds guise xD

You make us all look bad. Your opinion is correct, but its shrouded by how fucking stupid you ar-

OH FUCK, HE WAS BEING IRONIC

FULL RETREAT, SOUND THE DAMAGE CONTROL
>>
dropped it hard once i got to the part where you get to the sea of radiation part of quest

like holy fuck couldn't keep me interested at all
>>
>>320578989
Fallout 1 is as shallow as Fallout 4. There is nothing to do aside the main quest, thanks to that retarded time limit you have until the other guys in the Vault drink up all their water and croak or the big mutants finally decide to raid it.
>>
>>320578989
Is that nostalgia talking, or do you really feel that way? I just can't get into Fallout 1 and I'm wondering if it's because I'm just not giving it enough time or if it's one of those games you had to get into at the time to still enjoy.

I've found Tactics a little more enjoyable and haven't given 2 a try yet, but 1 just feels so slow.
>>
>>320579256
the side-quests that involve shit are mostly tied to certain "factions" and other then that, theres not a lot. i honestly thought there was but once my brother lended me the guide, it was laughable on the non faction side quests
>>
>>320586270
Fuck Wasteland 2 and its fanboys. I'm quite happy Bethesda took the series away from Faggo's grubby hands, the guy that considers "SPECIAL with no perks" a completely new system.
>>
>>320587792
3570k + gtx 680, both overcloked is not a shit computer

I will upgrade next year, when new nvidia gpus come out

>>320587885
spoken like a true pleb

>>320588047
time limit is very generous, it's not shallow in any way, every quest has at least 2 solution and the world is reactive in that old school CRPG way

like I already said, combat is the only thing that's arguably bad

>>320588093
I played fallout 1 after I've beaten fallout 3

at first I was all like this is dildos, interface a shit, combat a shit, I savescum my way through battles

but after rerolling my build a few times, I found myself enjoying it way more than any RPG I've seen up to that point

so after I've beaten fallout 1 I've downloaded every isometric RPG ever (exageratted) and thus the beatiful butterfly of an RPG purist/vidya snob has emerged from the pupa of a pleb

>>320588230
yeah it wasn't very good, I'm with you on that
>>
>>320588093
You have to build your guy, doing some random stuff. Combat is incredibly shallow, since in the end it's fishing crits for those absolutely fair instakills, but you need to put some points in those skills if you want to make it work and not be instagibbed at random. Other than that, you follow the very noticeable trail of the main plot and that's it.
>>
File: 1447030511247.jpg (105 KB, 695x695) Image search: [Google]
1447030511247.jpg
105 KB, 695x695
>>320578776
>le reddit is bad meme
But anon, reddit isn't bad, it's just fucking awful.
>>
File: tumblr_nxqepoIPPH1servzzo2_1280.jpg (520 KB, 821x1150) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxqepoIPPH1servzzo2_1280.jpg
520 KB, 821x1150
reasons why fallout 4 is shit
>90% of npcs are essential
>fuck all to do
>sidequests are mmo tier shit
>settlements have no point whatsoever
>writing is at a 3rd grade level
>voiced protagonist
>not allowed to make any choices at all
>no karma system
>perk system straight out of call of duty
>no skills
prove me wrong faggots
>>
>>320588647
you're right tho
i have 49 mods installed right now and it's still a shit game
>>
File: jensenless.png (57 KB, 496x546) Image search: [Google]
jensenless.png
57 KB, 496x546
>>320588647
>prove me wrong faggots
impossible

incidentally, can't wait to shit all over new deus ex for it having fucking telepoting jensen and press X to kill everyone in the room
>>
>>320578776
Sure it's a shit rpg but a decent open world shooter/action game
>>
>>320588830
nah

that would be your stalkers and far cry blood dragons

it's not a decent shooter and not a decent open world either

fallout 4 is a complete failure in every respect
>>
>>320587461
DUDE WEED 420
>>
>>320588374
Every city has at best two sidequests, and their result are the most binary goody two shoes/big bad asshole they could think of, since making players waste too much time on them was bad, that's why the time limit was a crappy idea. Not to mention how fucking bad dialogues and their trees are, since most of them have trap options that will cut you out of stuff.
>>
>>320578776
i can't convince my friend to skyrim and fallout3/4 is shit. help me /v/
>>
>>320589803
Don't bother trying to
>>
>>320589542
>Every city has at best two sidequests, and their result are the most binary goody two shoes/big bad asshole they could think of
well it's at least SOMETHING, and fallout 4 instea has... essential NPCs and raider camps?

>Not to mention how fucking bad dialogues and their trees are, since most of them have trap options that will cut you out of stuff.
they have a ton of hidden dialogue options cause depending on your stats, to me it's what the RPGs are all about

NPCs aggroing because of something you said is great as well, makes you pay attention, read carefully and then respond accordingly

>>320589803
bethesdrones are not friends
>>
The fact that you can't by default put shit into other models in this game drives me insane. Like I can't put anything but the default doors into the default prebuilt fucking structures. If I try to put a slightly larger door in it won't let me.

It would make sense if this was a multiplayer game or settlement raiding was anything but enemies spawning in the center of the base but jesus christ. Just let me build my fucking settlement the way I want to Todd.
>>
>>320589803
You may be the one with shit taste, the one that needs to cry like a bitch for things others enjoy.
>>
>>320589985
that's like complaining about dirty upholstery on a crashing plane m8
>>
>start a playthrough with 10 luck and 10 charisma
>encounter the diner thats being held up on the way to diamond city
>fail attempting to speech check everyone away on my first try

fuckin a wheres the fun in playing characters like this if my speech isnt completely OP
>>
>>320590043
this

fallout 4 is a shit, shit game in every respect, but you still can kinda have fun with it

question is why would you want to, when there are hundreds of much better games
>>
>>320589920
Dialogue trees are barren, only an handful of (take a guess) main plot related NPC have more than "recycled city specific option" and "stuff for quests". And for "your stats" you mean Speech. with depends on INT, not CHA. Much like anything in the game. I guess they knew their audience.

Not to mention the completely useless ask a question, a feature that Fargo obviously kept in Wasteland 2, to cash on braindead nostalgiafaggots.
>>
>>320590307
I don't remember the last time I failed a speech check with 10 charisma. Though the luck based system Bethesda used is fucking stupid
>>
>>320590367
planescape torment or arcanum it ain't, fair enough

but those barren dialogue trees are still miles ahead of any modern RPG

witholding half the dialogue options based on player's stats? ARE YOU MAD? MAKING NPCS HOSTILE WITHOUT GIVING 5 WARNINGS TO THE PLAYER FIRST? GET THE FUKC OUT OF THIS BOARDROOM FARGO, IF YOU SHOW YOUR FACE HERE AGAIN I'LL HAVE YOU SHOT ON SIGHT
>>
>>320590329
If you think FO4 is a shit RPG instead of a frighteningly safe product, you played too few of them. Or you are just a faggot that cannot realize a game exists unless it has an heavy marketing campaign.
>>
>>320590571
I played most major RPGs released 1996-2015

only obvious games I skipped are VTM: redemption and temple of elemental evil

fite me
>>
It barely has RPG elements and its not a very good fps. I mean the only real feature of the game that anyone could really defend is the sandboxy gameplay but that's about it.
>>
>>320590567
They are shit, no questions asked. There is a reason FO2 has properly looping dialogues, and it's not because the developers like tree structures.
>>
>>320579887
The Silver Shroud quest was fairly fun, and the over-the-top dialogue you get from being the Shroud was pretty nice.
Curie's first companion quest was pretty unique only because of the outcome, I'd say.
That and Nick's quests-the detective files and his companion quest-were all really fun for me. But that's just me.
>>
What really breaks the illusion of choice is that you actually can't be a bad guy. How many choices does the game have where you can just choose to be evil for the sake of it? In like 90% of the quests the most "evil" thing you can do is ask for a higher reward.
>>
>>320590695
>major RPG
You are kinda making my point here. Unless you are told what to like, you can't even try out stuff.
>>
File: edgelord the game.png (298 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
edgelord the game.png
298 KB, 1920x1080
>>320590745
I do like my edgy chosen one yes

>>320590838
try me

name a great RPG I missed in the last 19 years
>>
>>320590916
Good option, bad option, wacky option. And then faggots like you cry out when Bethesda took the matter at its utmost core.
>>
>>320590502
I know it's still technically sort of based on chance, but If im starting the game with 10 CHA and Luck and having STR and END be dump stats, i should be easily able to just talk my way out of and around combat from all but the most determined baddies
>>
>>320591047
Better than Fallout 4

Info option, Good option, Good Option, Sarcastic Good Option
>>
>>320578776
i like being a casual
>>
>>320591047
it's only one part of a big dialogue tree with a secondary NPC in a town that has no main quest relevance

in fallout 4 you get 4 options TOTAL
>>
>>320591065
you literally have to savescum all the speech checks
so no reason to have high charisma unless you want the SICK PERKS XD
>>
>>320591047
and you still haven't named an RPG I haven't played

so you've heard of less RPGs than I have played

and then you accuse me of being a mainstream loving pleb for daring to call fallout 4 bad instead of mediorce

good one m8
>>
>>320590806
You can thank the decision to have a voiced main character for that. They couldnt possibly record all the dialogue we're used to seeing from fallout games. They couldnt even do the thing that a lot of JRPGs do where scripted cutscene event things are voiced but everything else is just text
>>
>>320578776
Fallout 4 is the best of the modern fallout action games
Fallout 2 is the best Fallout rpg
>>
>>320591282
So, much like on any Fallout barring NV, where they needed a turboautist like Sawyer to realize that making hard checks on skills makes the investment a good way to roleplay your character, since you know its strengths and limits.
>>
>>320591282
after realizing this im not even that upset, im just kind of disappointed and also it makes me miss FNV and FO3. Maybe mods can fix it, since consoles are getting those. I just hope bethesda doesnt drop the ball on those either but at this point...
>>
>>320591442
josh sawyer is my favourite turboautist in game dev
>>
>>320591363
The only thing about you, a random idiot on an anonymous imageboard, is your mom and your apparent lack of critical thought.
>>
>>320591543
>>320591442
New Vegas really was the best of the modern Fallouts, wasn't it? damn. FO4 just makes me miss it, honestly
>>
>>320591692
If I could use fallout 4's power armor, gunplay, and feral ghouls in new vegas with more time to expand the legion it'd be the perfect 3d fallout
>>
>>320591692
yes, NV is the only good fallout thing since 1998

and it's not even that great

>>320591674
oh, the irony is delicious

gets TOLD, resorts to ad hominem, throws out buzzwords he barely understands

this is why I post on /v/, that blissful feeling of smug intellectual superiority
>>
>>320591543
Does it really need a turboautist to figure out that the old damage formula made critfishing the only worthwhile option especially in lategame, due the prevalence of high armors with high DT and DR and no lower bound on damage, and that in RTwP keeping up the whole "it's in real time but not since there are hidden turns" charade is dumb? It's kinda disheartening.
>>
>>320591867
Sure it's intellectual superiority? You do exale the opposite.
>>
>>320591908
well they didn't have autistic neckbeards thinking they're the smartest people on the planet back in those days, cut them some slack

it is basically a PnP adaption after all
>>
>>320587332
It's Jagged Alliance: Fallout Edition. It's definitely worth playing.
>>
>>320588949
hows highschool
>>
>>320592020
>Jagged Alliance
not even nearly enough demented micro management

I'd recommend it if it took fallout 1&2 aesthetic and canon and ran with it, but no, they had to make up original content do not steal
>>
everytime i play Fallout 4, i feel more and more like i'm playing a framework for modders to fuck with rather than an actual game.

i'm seeing a lot of little cool things, like i tried a speech check, failed, then Piper tried again after me. or your companions can actually join in on conversations with quest NPCs in general.
or how my pipboy light is like a fucking lantern now. or how dogmeat has custom animations just for the red rocket station and so on and so forth.

so many quality of life improvements make the game feel too streamlined and casual, the same thing happened with WoW.
the fun is the journey, not just the destination.
>>
>>320592361
there are things to like, yes

but it's all tied to this stillborn abortion of a game that might never even be fixed
>>
>>320591841
4's gunplay, power armor, weapon crafting
NV's ammo types, quests, weapon variety

now we're talking. Like goddamn it's the apocalypse, let me hobble together some wood and concrete gun that shoots bottlecaps or some shit
>>
>>320592361
>Have Valentine with me
>He says "Hey a computer terminal. I'm pretty good at those, mind if I give it a shot?"
>I walk up to terminal.
>Not enough PERKS LOL to use it.
>No option to let him do it.
>Nothing.

Nigga, what? Also why the fuck are some computers "too hard" to hack if THEY HAVE THE SAME FUCKING MINIGAME?
>>
>>320592593
did it look like i was praising the game?
>>
>>320592762

Because the minigame is an abstraction. You don't really think every secure terminal in the world just sits there with garbage on the screen waiting for any random asshole to click on the "turn off security" button, do you?
>>
>>320592762
uh, I think you need to command him to hack the terminal

I only ever had dogmeat, cause fuck those awful voice acting and writing, I prefer a companion that keeps his/hers big fat mouth shut

>>320592843
it look like you were damning it with fain praise, yes

sorry if I twisted your panties, mate
>>
>>320592906
no fuck youuuuuuuuu, something shouldnt just outright be "too hard to hack" like jesus make it /feel/ like it's too hard to hack, give a bunch of long ass words with no "tries reset" or "dud removed" type things UNLESS you have a high level but you can still attempt "master" terminals in early game. same with lockpicking. ITs amazing that they could do lockpicking right in Skyrim and then fug it all up in Fallout
>>
>>320593072

Then why would I ever level the skills? There needs to be some level of abstraction or it completely ceases to be an RPG. If my character's competence is based completely on my skills and not the stats the world says they have, then what's the point?
>>
>>320593072
to be honest they should've cut lockpicking and hacking minigames entirely

if you have enough PERKS LOL to pick/hack, it should go ping! hacked/picked after a brief animation

but bethesda aren't very good at this whole game design and common sense thing, if you haven't noticed
>>
>>320593286
When you level up the skill it gives you more "tries reset" or "dud removed" type things, or with lockpicking it makes the sweet spot easier to find or your picks more durable or something
>>
>>320593406

So what? The minigame is a joke. Your system is even worse than theirs because my character can still casually "hack" everything, except I only bothered to spend one boring ass skill point.

You've taken their terrible, awful progression system which says that skill choices don't need to be interesting and made it even worse by saying that skill points don't even need to do anything but clear up a bit of nuisance.

If I spend a point on something, I want my character to be better at that thing. Your system takes even that away.
>>
>>320593406
>>320593286
*which makes it more realistic, like how some guy with minimal experience could /try/ hacking facebook or Xbox live or the government or some nonsense but he wouldnt get far unless he knew what he was doing, but theres still a chance he could do SOMETHING right or get lucky, whatever. THe bottom line here is that you should still be able to try
>>
>>320593616
Jesus you're fucking dense. putting points into a skill with my system DOES make your character better at that thing by making it easier for you, the player, to complete them. The "abstraction" here is that as your characters skill level gets higher, it reflects more experience in the act, therefore making them more able to hone in on that sweetspot or recognize character sequences to remove a dud password
>>
>>320593656

>like how some guy with minimal experience could /try/ hacking facebook or Xbox live or the government or some nonsense

No. No he could not. You can't just /try/ complex tasks you don't understand and just magically have them happen.

>>320593829

With one skill point in your system I get into the terminal.
With ten skill points in your system I get into the terminal.
Nothing changed. My character never improved.
>>
>>320593912
>magically have them happen

nowhere have i said that it just "happens"

>with one point...
>with ten points...

yeah with one point your character looks at the screen and just sees passwords with no way to rest tries or remove duds, with ten points you get those things you can use to aid your hack. how are you not getting this
>>
>>320593912
>>320594069
and yeah anyone can TRY any complex task, regardless if they understand it or not, that doesnt mean they'll just be magically successful at it "just because"
>>
>>320594069

There are no passwords, resets, or duds. Those are an abstraction of the events that let me as the player interact with the game world. Those things do not exist to my character. They exist to me.

I will beat the minigame with or without the extra points. I do not need the aid. Therefore my character will get into any terminal with or without extra training. The skill points no longer make my character better at anything.
>>
>>320594216
how are you not understanding that they make your character better at the task by way of making it easier for you as the player to complete it, is that complex thought escaping you somehow? THe way it's set up now is, at best, blunt and hamfisted, and at worst, artificial difficulty
>>
I "liked" it in the sense that I had some fun playing it. It certainly didn't blow me away, though. There's good parts to it, but Bethesda just missed the beat on so many others.

>good voice direction, but completely neutered variety of dialog choices
>main story hits some interesting points, but boils down to "destroy the other two factions" with no major changes to the world and not even some blurb at the end to describe what happens as a result of your choices
>weapon modding system seems more diverse than it really is, with many "mods" just being progressively better stat improvements rather than sidegrades that provide different functionality (though there are still a selection of mods that do things like change the firing mode)

Also, I was pissed that being named the Institute's director doesn't grant you any power with them. The actual role you play in the organization after becoming their supposed leader is really just the same shit Kellogg was doing, being the Institute's wasteland errand boy.

You don't get Shaun's director coat. Hell, you can't even get free equipment from the Requisitions guy.
>>
>>320594543

>how are you not understanding that they make your character better at the task by way of making it easier for you as the player to complete it

Because that's absolute nonsense. They didn't get any better. No matter what level their skill, what happened was that they walked up to the terminal and casually unlocked it.

I think the problem here is that you clearly don't understand the idea of abstraction. The minigame does not exist to my character. How annoying it was to me has zero impact on their story.

If the game abstracted hacking by setting my cat on fire and wouldn't let me progress until I had doused it, brought it to the vet and made sure it was still alive, my character would never notice. They would still simply walk up to the terminal and casually unlock it.
>>
File: netcode though.png (211 KB, 526x319) Image search: [Google]
netcode though.png
211 KB, 526x319
bought nidhogg on sale, played it today for the first time

in 22 minutes playing against AI I had more fun than in 30 hours I spent playing fallout 4

I heard it needs to be played locally to fully enjoy it, and that aint happening
>>
>>320578776
>only people that liked this game are 1) newfriends 2) reddit 3) casuls

couldn't agree more
>>
>>320594789
>casually unlocked it

you act like all these terminals are just going to open themselves up for no reason just because you clickity clacked on the keyboard. and the "minigame" clearly DOES exist to the character because they have to do it every time you click on [Hack Terminal]. So in leveling up your character's hack skill, they go from being some nonce who sits down at a computer and doesnt understand what he's looking at (as im sure you can relate to) but is still able to TRY doing something, to someone who sit down at a computer and understands what codes he needs to click (which show up at higher levels of the skill and are nonexistant at lower levels) to make the password selection more obvious
>>
>>320595257

>clearly DOES exist to the character because they have to do it every time you click on [Hack Terminal]
>I think the problem here is that you clearly don't understand the idea of abstraction.

We're spinning our wheels here. I'm clearly not helping you to understand the idea of abstraction.

The game parts don't happen to the character. They are not part of his story. They are an abstraction of his story that allow me to play through that story. The world of Fallout is not littered with computer terminals patiently waiting at a garbled screen for some random person to walk up and click the correct password. They are normal computers that can be "hacked" in some way, and we the players interact with that process by playing a minigame.

To the characters there is no minigame. The minigame is an abstraction of the actual hacking.
>>
>>320595463
Alright so how does it not make sense that, by making the abstraction easier for the player to complete, it reflects the character being better at the act within the game?
>>
File: fallout4 blunder.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fallout4 blunder.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>320578776
>Now that the dust has settled can we all agree fallout 4 is a shit RPG and an insult to fallout fans?

Yes.
>>
>>320595624

Because it doesn't reflect their actions. It's an abstraction. It is what I'm doing. It is not what they are doing. Their action is hacking a terminal. That is all they did.

The minigame and how hard it is does not change the narrative the character played through. Nothing about the difficulty of the minigame reflects upon the character's competence.
>>
File: 1410008417976.jpg (706 KB, 983x1517) Image search: [Google]
1410008417976.jpg
706 KB, 983x1517
>>320578776
it's even worse than it looks. Usually a shit game still have tons of threads way after its release (DmC, the order on the top of my head). Here the game is just ignored on /v/. Bethesda really blew it this time
>>
>>320595853
but you, the player, are playing the character, so your ability to complete or not complete a task reflects their skill in regards to completing the task. Having them just not do something because "it's too hard" is taking away freedom from the player. If you see a "master" terminal, and you choose to try and do it even though your characters skill isnt high enough to allow you any assists and you bungle it all up, terminal is locked out and you can't try again, ta-da, however if you do hold off on trying to hack it until youve put some points into the skill and then you're able to complete it due in part to the added assists, how is that not reflecting the characters competence as having improved?
>>
>>320596150

Oh, I understand your confusion.

Because there's no way I'd ever fail the dumb little minigame.
>>
>>320596348
You would if it were actually "master" difficult and offered no assists, sure youd get lucky sometimes and pass them but most of the time people would fail a realistic percentage without leveling skills
>>
>>320578776
yeah the rpg elements are none existence. whats the point of re-playing the game when you gonna end up playing the same charterturer agan?

the gameplay was somewhat improved atleast.
>>
File: DSC_0002.jpg (3 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002.jpg
3 MB, 3920x2204
I agree to a certain extent OP. I hoped it couldnt be worse than Fallout 3. I cant tell one single game feature, that got better in this game

I have 7 days and 20 hours in it, and couldnt finish the story.

the only "fun" i had was the sims/minecraft lite version of building your home, which most of my hours went into
>>
>>320596740
>the only "fun" i had was the sims/minecraft lite version of building your home, which most of my hours went into
even that feature is very poorly implemented

like the only thing fallout 4 had going for it, and it just sucks
>>
>>320596479
And there wouldnt be a failsafe, as exiting before the last word, then trial and error again, till done. Cant believe they just took the same shitty minigame from before, didnt even change it in any way
>>
The only good Fallout is a dead Fallout
>>
>>320596863
Yep, cant agree more. And the building limit is retarded off the charts, but i prolly get why its shit, because gamebyro cant handle too much shit. My framrate dropped drastically after having to much wiring in sanctuary, while only having one 4-store building in the while place.

And i wont start talking about wall placement and overall shitty objects
>scavenge ceramic
>build toliet
>make it broken and disfigured because i didnt want to use it anyway
This game most likely gave me a tumor
>>
File: Fallout4 2015-12-17 15-20-01.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fallout4 2015-12-17 15-20-01.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
It's okay as an exploring game, but even that is kinda shit thanks to levelled list and randomized legendary loot instead of handplaced uniques that the series used to do.

Most quests turn into "go to place and kill 20 raiders/synths/supermutants/ghouls", even the ones that aren't "radiant", which is awfully reminiscent of Skyrim including the randomized enchanted loot. Never before has the "TES with guns" meme be more true.

FO4 is good for people who just want a simple open world shooter, that hates RPG elements and if there is any of the game the should do the job for you (voiced character and railroaded dialogue options). But the main strength of the series has been the strong emphasis on roleplaying and player choice so FO4 feels like an offense to anyone who loved the series for that.

I can see mods doing some decent work for this once script extender and the creation kit comes out, but it won't excuse all the shit Bethesda is responsible for and it won't fix the worst issues. I'm usually not for piracy but considering you're going to literally play this for the player generated content I'd say it's justified.
>>
>>320581887
>Dialogue tree still allows limited stat-dependent options

Excuse me? What? Provide example of "special" affecting dialogue choices? Railroad's nickname and Magnolia, what comes to mind and it's not even a choice.
>>
>>320596953
The failsafe here could be the passwords not resetting when you back out, so if you try two and neither of them work so you back out and go back in, you still only have two tries left
>>
>>320597816
>It's okay as an exploring game
but why bother exploring if you're just gonna find raiders/supermutants that are guarding 10 ammo, some crafting materials and a fusion core if you're lucky?

I just don't see the point in doing these boring dungeons, maybe if combat was half way fun, but you're just stuck in cover, the enemies are stuck in cover and everything except you the player is a bullet sponge (hard difficulty)
>>
>>320599380
okay as in mediocre, there's enjoyment to squeeze out of it but there's better ways to spend your time. it's only fun because you keep expecting to find that mysterious place with that cool backstory and amazing loot but it never really happens.
>>
>>320599658
I'll wait 2-3 years, it'll be patched, DLC will come out, 5000 mods will be made

maybe then it'll be a decent game

I might even buy it for 10 bucks, literally nobody in their right mind should buy a bethesda game on launch
>>
>>320579576
How do quests go along in New Vegas if you kill most people?
>>
>>320600091
one time I ended up murdering everyone in NCR, everyone in the ceasar's legion, everyone in BoS bunker, and mister house as well

so the only option I had left to proceed was the yes man ending, and yes man is the only essential NPC besides victor (he becomes killable later)
>>
File: 1449046247982.gif (2 MB, 360x359) Image search: [Google]
1449046247982.gif
2 MB, 360x359
I'm a young fag 19 actually and I loved fallout 3, NV and 4. Never played 1,2 or tactics.

Only have 25 hours or so fallout 4 but I think.

fallout 3
>weak main story
>some enjoyable side quest
>very empty world
>alright atmosphere

NV
>good main story with 4 branches
>a lot of good side quests
>smaller world but more packed with content
>good atmosphere

Fallout 4
>main story seems strong thus far
>haven't played too many side quest yet that isn't 'go here shoot this'
>bigger world a lot of content
>nice atmosphere
>>
>>320598371
Congrats, anon, you just achieved something a million dollar company couldnt so five years.

What did they focus on anyway this game?
>>
>>320600226
and even then, Yes Man can still be killed, he just shows up in another robotic body a little while later because he's just a computer program, iirc, yeah?
>>
>>320601153
I think he's always essential period

it's victor who starts out essential becomes killable, sorry if that wasn't clear
>>
>>320599658
I >>320599658
Happened with the silver shroud for me, and who'd knew it was connected to one of the good side-quest in the game (next to my only other questline i liked, the alien artifact)
>>
File: so youve had a bad day.jpg (647 KB, 600x1248) Image search: [Google]
so youve had a bad day.jpg
647 KB, 600x1248
>>320578776
Yes. I bought it because I thought it be a good time sink and it was. But I felt the same way I did when I played skyrim. I played for hours and hours and got bored. The only difference is I finished skyrim. I got my money's worth if were going by dollar to hour ratio. But if I had known what I'd known now I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
I actually reinstalled new vegas and I'm having more fun rolling a new character than playing fallout 4.
>>
>>320578776
>playing Bethesda games

don't you have anything better to do? There are better RPGs, there are better hack and slashes, there are better shooters. Everything in Bethesda games is lackluster and unfinished. You just run from quest mark to quest mark and gather imaginary points without much player input.
>>
>>320601475
>don't you have anything better to do?
ineed I do, why are you telling this to me, the OP of a thread calling failout 4 a shit gaem?

after playing it for about 25-30 hours I uninstalled it, and a friend gifted me dark souls on steam, so 4 years late to the party I started playing that

killied ornstein and smough first try (was overlevelled for anor londo though), felt like a big man with testicles the size of the moon, and then got repeteadly rekt in crystal caves, thanks dark souls

98 hours later I personally can confirm dark souls 1 desrves all the praise it got, and is esily in my top 10 games of all time along side system shock 2, deus ex, plancescape torment and so on

TL;DR buy dark souls, buy fallout 4 in 2 years 75% off if you're bored
>>
>>320601819
I just shitpost randomly about bethesda in free time ever since they released Oblivion.
>>
>>320601873
hey, we share a hobby

what's your zodiac sign anon?

and what are you wearing right now
>>
>>320596740
>>320596863
Yeah I'm the same but one thing that still pisses me off is you need a CHARISMA perk to build a workbench. Even then is part 2 of the perk and requires 6 charisma so thats already 8 points wasted just to make a workbench
>>
>>320601986
Cancer

flippy-floppies, jeans and nothing on my chest
>>
>>320602067
>cancer

you fit in well on this site then
>>
>>320602067
capricorn (I don't actually know anything about austrology)

plush slippers, cum stained underpants, a white metallica t-shirt (don't judge me, I bought it a long time ago, and million wash cycles later it's very comfy) and a bath robe

wanna meet up for passionate buttsex?
>>
File: 1433106765254.jpg (51 KB, 414x630) Image search: [Google]
1433106765254.jpg
51 KB, 414x630
>>320602163
Domo

>>320602232
Sorry, I have a gf that doesn't know about my shitposting addiction
>>
>>320602267
>Sorry, I have a gf that doesn't know about my shitposting addiction
wanna meet up and spit roast your gf then?
>>
>>320602319
Rude
>>
>>320602232
>wanna meet up for passionate buttsex?

not him but I'm game
>>
File: 1383093772515.jpg (71 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
1383093772515.jpg
71 KB, 432x288
>>320602319
>>320602347
hard'n'fast no mercy
>>
>>320602347
hey man, it's 2015

didn't all that jew media make you aroused by cuckolding?

and you can still join in, it's not like I'll be the one fucking your gf while you sit in a chair and wank it

>>320602374
great, fly to moscow tomorrow, we'll figure out the details later
>>
File: 1268851223621.gif (129 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1268851223621.gif
129 KB, 320x240
>>320602489
Thankfully I live in a country that tries to kill democracy and has no leftist parties in parliament.

So not interested ;^).

See you next Bethesda thread.
>>
>>320602632
>Thankfully I live in a country that tries to kill democracy and has no leftist parties in parliament.
same here, isn't it great?

>See you next Bethesda thread.
I don't actually post on /v/ all that often, so see you on /vg/ maybe?

I'll be the one posting witcher screenshots is /tesg/ and /fog/
>>
>>320602489
>great, fly to moscow tomorrow, we'll figure out the details later

mmmmmmmmmmmm valdimir
>>
>>320578776
I love fallout 4.... After I change the radio to radio new Vegas, change flags to ncr flags, add sunset sasparilla, fixer, cateye, ncr fatigues. Etc. Basically new Vegas in boston
>>
>>320602816
only one person is allowed to be called vladimir (yes, THE Vladimir), the rest are ivans and marias
>>
>>320598210
>charisma plays a heavy part in any yellow/orange/red dialogue options
>being able to repair certain in world items requires int levels
>negotiating characters to avoid fights or provoking them into giving you their shit and running off

I mean hell, once your charisma is high enough you can pick up the perk where aiming your guns at enemies has a chance for them to drop their weapons and flee.
>>
>>320602874
>only one person is allowed to be called vladimir

yeah me ;P
>>
>>320578776
FNV best Fallout! The extension of F1 and F2.

[I admit I love F tactics for its style and story.]
>>
>>320603151
I asked about dialogue, there is nothing but charisma checks and they are ridiculous, you can convince everyone about everything with 1 Charisma point as you would with 10 and this convincing is completely worthless, almost every single one is "more caps" with Blind Betrayal, as rare exception, but why does it matter if you going to save scum through it anyway, nothing is stopping you.

>being able to repair certain in world items requires int levels

Oh yeah, that one time on USS ship, right, forgot, maybe because it's the only one where you can avoid fetch quests, but then again i asked about "Dialogue tree still allows limited stat-dependent options". Where is this "STATE-DEPENDENT", this isn't NV, buddy.
>>
>>320581887
>>Fallout 4
>>Most freedom any entry in the series has given you

>>>/trash/
>>
>>320578776
>insult to fallout fans?
Is there such thing?
>>
>>320578776
so to summurize: fallout 4 is bad games, you should probably play something else then maybe pick it up 75% off on an off chance fun mods will come out at some point

most /v/irgins seem to agree

OP out
>>
Has more main quests and side quests than Fallout 3, and that's not including the radiants (which are shit) or the misc (some are decent). Most of the non radiant side quests are actually pretty good. People complaining about story length or the side quests are just blinded by the shitty radiants, which when ignored, still give a meatier game than 3.

Even compared to New Vegas, the main quest actually gives you more quests and genuinely different routes to take, as each faction has their own unique quests that aren't just dealing with the same minor factions in different ways. Won't argue that Vegas wins out in quality of writing and its sidequests, though.
>>
File: 1442800326079.jpg (24 KB, 387x461) Image search: [Google]
1442800326079.jpg
24 KB, 387x461
>Now that the dust has settled
>>
>>320607623
The thing is, much of Fallout 4's length is caused by some painful railroading. It's only meatier (or gives the impression of being meatier,) because you *have* to follow Beth's preset path for a serious chunk of the game to get anywhere.

The routes aren't really all that different when you break them down, with you dealing with all the major factions in the same ways repeatedly, with no options to move ahead in the story your own way, and rarely any solutions that aren't found at the end of a slugthrower.

>>320609441
The "fallout" if you will.
>>
4 > 3 > NV tbqh
>>
File: 1385763174347.png (59 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1385763174347.png
59 KB, 1000x1000
>>320611647
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.