[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Undertale is an extremely clever and well-written game that nearly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 18
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 320x328) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 320x328
Undertale is an extremely clever and well-written game that nearly left me in tears. The 8-bit style leaves something to be desired, yet still somehow adds to the overall feel of the game (and often its humor). The character development and personal themes explored in this game can hit close to home, and some of the choices encourage introspection. Your choices matter even from your first encounter. As for the gameplay/combat, the bullet hell system is creative and sometimes challenging. With most enemy types using their own unique attack strategies, the combat never felt dull or repetitive.
All in all, Undertale is a beautiful game and is entirely worth the price. I’m just sad that it’s over.
>>
>>320578602
Nice blog, faggot. Kill yourself.
>>
I agree with most of this but I wouldn't say that the writing is particularly clever.
It's just fitting. Decent enough.
>>
File: UNDERTALE 2015-12-17 23-45-13-78.png (569 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
UNDERTALE 2015-12-17 23-45-13-78.png
569 KB, 1920x1080
>>320578602
> clever and well-written game that nearly left me in tears
I wouldnt say its 'extremely' clever but it is up there and I found myself laughing like a tard at some points for the dumb internet humor
>Your choices matter even from your first encounter
true, when sans is telling his story about how he met tariel and she told him to keep you safe, that wouldnt of happened if you'd killed her at the beginning
> the bullet hell system is creative and sometimes challenging
also true, i found it refreshing and a bit fun to learn the attack patterns
> Undertale is a beautiful game and is entirely worth the price
I agree But i pirated it to try it out and I plan on buying the game + soundtrack after seeing what all the hype and hate was about
For the most part, /v/ would agree if it wasnt too busy blindly hating it for being 'tumblr' the game
Also fuck this part
>>
>>320578602
Okay.
>>
>>320580126
Seems like you enjoy the game. Instead of listening to /v/ and hating it just because it's "tumblr", sit back, stop reading bullshit online, and be happy that you found something you like.
>>
File: 1449194435952.png (77 KB, 228x223) Image search: [Google]
1449194435952.png
77 KB, 228x223
>>320578602
>The 8-bit style
I can't take a persons critique seriously when they don't even know the difference between 8-bit and 16-bit.
>>
Game wins one GOAT award from a site no one gives a shit about except /v/ and now we have like four or five threads up about it at all times..
>>
>>320580667
/v/ was quiet about it up until this hour
coincidentally, it's midday in australia
>>
File: tumblr_nz9wlaDVV71qe6ix6o1_1280.jpg (318 KB, 956x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz9wlaDVV71qe6ix6o1_1280.jpg
318 KB, 956x1280
Probably the biggest turnoff for most of you about to get this game is just how much praise its getting. Looks like just another fandom that is passing by, that's staying alive only from hype. Honestly, that was what I was thinking too. I knew nothing of this game and went in completely blind, thinking it was just another overhyped game.

...But from the second room onwards, I knew I was in for a ride.

Oh boy, Undertale. You are absolute perfection. I wish I was exagerrating, but that wouldn't be doing a number on this game, which is hands down the greatest gaming experience I have ever had in my lifetime. It does so many things correctly that I'd be glad to experience it first hand again.
>>
File: tumblr_nwpcybAzGN1ubw37ro1_540.png (104 KB, 540x430) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwpcybAzGN1ubw37ro1_540.png
104 KB, 540x430
>>320581824
There is so much to be said about this game. From its music that amplifies the emotional impact of each event to the point where I'd get goosebumps even hearing the music outside of the game. From its ridiculous yet lovable characters to its simple story that gets surprisingly deep the more you progress through it, while being immensely dependent on the choices you make; this is one of the first games that makes the morality concept such a powerful driving force. From its unbelievably startling ability to guilt trip the player, slam the fourth wall into oblivion over and over, and inject true terror into me as I played through it -- no other game has managed to get me shaking in my seat in both legitimate fear and happiness after some of the best twists in storywriting I have seen, and none have ever managed to make me feel as if the game is alive... and knows if I regretted a decision or a choice. This game feels so alive, along with everyone in its world, mostly because of its almost flawless storywriting and presentation. There's no words I know that can stress this enough. The world of Undertale seems to know how to respond perfectly after every event, and this gives it such an incredible breath of life at each turn.

I wish I could even start talking about my experience in detail, but even that would spoil your story. It is your journey, and anything that could be mentioned would ruin some mindblowing twists and turns. Just be prepared to feel like a true savior or worlds... or a true, horrendous monster. There is no turning back. Literally. Do you want to stick to a typical RPG gamestyle and kill everyone you see? You better be prepared, as this game remembers every evil deed you do. You'll have to live with the guilt for the rest of your playthroughs, and the game will make sure you remember the weight of your flawed choices.

All this in a game you can finish in basically a full day or less, with graphics comparable with the SNES era
>>
>>320580667
It's been that way since the game came out.
>>
>>320578602
Cool blog OP, but this isn't facebook.
>>
le ebin meta troll shilling thread

undertale fags are surpassing bronies in the levels of false flagging and general annoyance
>>
Undertale is Spec Ops for spergs
>>
File: smug chara face.png (740 B, 68x118) Image search: [Google]
smug chara face.png
740 B, 68x118
>>320584059
After reading reviews that the game was "uninspiring" and that it was just another trend (despite the good reviews this game was getting), I became curious and decided to try the game out for myself.

So, after I played the game and got the best possible ending, I started to wonder whether those people actually finished the game at all (or even played).

This game is more than just a "game". It dissects and comments on rpgs as a whole and even made me question my own morals and decisions.

Even though others may not like it, Undertale is my game of the year.
>>
>>320584312
>being an artfag

Kill yourself.
>>
File: homestuck fans will get it.png (195 KB, 807x570) Image search: [Google]
homestuck fans will get it.png
195 KB, 807x570
>>320584387
One of the most heart-warming games you can play in this generation. The concept of what an RPG is suppose to be is challenged by this game, making you ask instead, "what CAN an RPG be?" An immersive battle system with challenging and fun min-game'esque events put the idea of turn-based-combat in a retirement home. There has never been another game out there that has made me genuinely care for the characters I was meeting of fighting, and this all lends to the clever, sharp-whit writing that the game boasts proudly.

I have nothing but praise for this game. Thank you Toby Fox and everyone who helped bring this genuine smile to my face. The worth of this game is priceless~
>>
Yooo the shilling in this thread is too obvious. Take these blogposts back to tumblr faggot.
>>
>>320584554
Nice bot cuck
>>
Is this a Steam Reviews thread?
>>
>>320584710
I'm pretty sure it's the game "journalism" thread.
>>
File: aids.png (461 KB, 1024x638) Image search: [Google]
aids.png
461 KB, 1024x638
>>320584612
nobody is shilling undertale, it's objectively the best game of our time.

I can't believe that i feel opressed on /v/ of all places..I've always been a sucker for cute indie games, but Undertale was honestly one of the most heartwarming and genuine games I've played in a long time. Reminiscent of the games I loved from my childhood with its fun, original and engaging gameplay, as well as some great ways of guiding you through decision making
>>
>>320584710
no its an honest opinion thread that isnt filled with /v/-cucks
Most people who spew their hatred for this game do it over short replies that just insult the poster, instead of saying why the game is bad.
>>
>>320584821
>it's objectively the best game of our time.
That horribly tacky artstyle says otherwise.
>>
I found Undertale to be nothing special. I played through what I hear is the "neutral route" in a few hours and didn't care for any of the characters, so I killed most of them. Really I felt like it didn't make sense for the playable character to become attached to monsters when he's a human and his goal is to leave the underground, so they didn't matter much to me. Some of the humor was cute but the characters I couldn't kill were often annoying, like the scientist girl. I just wanted her to shut up and let me solve the puzzles. The final fight was funny but it also appeared that even when getting hit at low health, I wouldn't die (during the later phase when you can actually win). That was kinda anticlimactic. The battle system makes killing things more fun than they usually are in turn based rpgs so that was a smart choice by the developers. Overall I think Undertale is an okay game whose quality is heavily exaggerated by certain groups. I initially didn't care about it at all because people were so obnoxious about it, but a friend gifted it to me and I felt obligated to play it.
>>
File: 1450329656866.png (952 KB, 800x998) Image search: [Google]
1450329656866.png
952 KB, 800x998
>>320584962
This game is bloody(or less bloody if you choose so) genius.
It's been inspired by Earthbound.
It's full of silliness and witty jokes, also dogs.
The mechanics are simple yet the developer manages to pull of some great and unique stuff with these mechanics. For one you control a heart in a small box while dodging projectiles while you fight. Well I have seen this small sequence turn into platforming, bullet hell and frogger.
>>
File: 89BA96CED2D4B.jpg (46 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
89BA96CED2D4B.jpg
46 KB, 650x650
>>320584821
>it's objectively the best game of our time.
Jesus, is the industry really in this bad of a shape right now?
>>
>>320585141
Went in not expecting much but ended up with one of my favorite games. The gameplay is fun and stands out from other turn-based RPGs by having you actively avoid enemy attacks during your turn in a bullet hell style minigame. The cast of characters are very likable and the game's world is full of secrets to help expand on the story.
>>
>>320578602
>Your choices matter even from your first encounter

This is completely and utterly wrong, and I wish people would stop saying this.
If each and every choice had weight and actually affected the game, then each play through would not be the same.
But it doesn't matter if you kill some random monster in the beginning or in the middle.
It doesn't matter if you take one candy from the bowl, or 4.
Yes, the game addresses your choices (sometimes), but said choices never actually affect the game itself, aside from the 3 possible play throughs.

Yea, the game is nice and fun, but saying
>EACH CHOICE M-MATTERS!!!!
is just straight up lies.
>>
File: 1449726649359.png (2 KB, 580x150) Image search: [Google]
1449726649359.png
2 KB, 580x150
>>320585682
It's strange that something created in GameMaker can feel more open and fluid than the most ambitious AAA sandbox. Undertale accounts for every choice the player can make to the smallest variation, and changes in gameplay and story to present a vastly different experience every time.
>>
Undertale is a gateway bullethell of the worst kind. It's a bad game, a clusterfuck of story and characterization that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive shipping faggotry and DETERMINATION. The normal anon can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that the game itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.

However, these very aspects that try to smear over the shit of its core make it a breeding ground for aspie, unsociable underageb& faggots who engage in every kind of faggotry both online and in the real world. The superpowered characters all trying their hardest to look cool, the lelrandumb Temmies, peculiar, colorful puzzles, the whole bad pun faggotry and everything about the Undertale world fuels their escapist fantasies, while the pity-party character backgrounds, emphasis on pacifism, and overall preachiness of the series make it fit just right with the mary-sueish drives of your average preteen and his sense of unwarranted self-importance towards the world. Exactly the kind of shit that makes little kiddies and underageb& retards eat this shit right the fuck up.

Undertale is basically THE game to attract the most hated neo-Homestuck fanbase known to /v/, which is why, regardless of individual opinions, it is the responsibility of every anon to troll the fuck out of this game and everyone who likes it, and ensure that no Undertale threads ever encourage the newfriends to show their faces here.
>>
>>320584312
>This game is more than just a "game". It dissects and comments on rpgs as a whole and even made me question my own morals and decisions.

= Spec Ops for spergs
>>
If I was just gonna do one playthrough what should it be? Fuck replaying and also fuck the game being smug about reloading.
>>
File: tumblr_nzj680MtWa1u6oshqo1_1280.jpg (439 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzj680MtWa1u6oshqo1_1280.jpg
439 KB, 1280x1280
>>320585817
>>320585886
Imho, is a masterpiece.
The writing and the story are fantastic, the characters have incredible personality, they can make you feel so many emotions with a couple of pixels.
The music is perfect for every situation, every character, simple but suitable.
And, it can change EVERY time you play it, every action that you make on your previous game can change the next game, it have many different ending and routes, you can finish the game without never attacking, or doing a genocide and kill all you will encounter. It also have infinite easter eggs and secrets, like the W. D. Gaster's, a secret character that is hid in the game files and can appear managing the game files. The Soundtrack also have many secrets. The graphic is old-style, it remembers you the good ol' days. It make you feel. It have many different routes and choices. And it's all developed by a single person.
In my onest opinion, Best, Game, Ever.
Ever.
>>
>>320585775
While the game may take every choice the player makes into consideration, it doesn't actually do anything with it.
>Wow, Papyrus said A instead of B!
>Choices really do matter!
The choices might affect what the characters say, but they hardly ever have impact on the actual game.
>>
File: skeletonigger.png (377 KB, 728x885) Image search: [Google]
skeletonigger.png
377 KB, 728x885
>>320586176
t really upsets me when people give a game like this a shitpost on vee just because they don't like it. I'd only give a shitpost on vee if it was the worst game I've ever played but this game is amazing. This game doesn't seem too interesting from the screen shots and stuff but once you get into it it begins to unravel why there are so many positive reviews for this game. Now nostalgia may be a factor on why this game is loved by many since it is closely related to Earthbound. I've never played Earthbound and I don't have any nostalgia for old games anyway since I've been gaming since the PS2 came out which is pretty recent. I can't really write about the story since the game really impacts you if you don't know anything about it first. All I can say is that you should play this game. You won't be disappointed.
>>
>>320586041
>that pic
I fucking hate the fandom take on sans. Grab a character named after fucking COMIC sans that constantly makes bad puns and act like he's some fucking faggot woobie shit.
>>
>>320584982
Holy fuck homie, I was in the same boat as you just two days ago. Like literally word for word, I did the neutral route and felt exactly how you felt. Then I came on /v/ and posted about it just like you. Some anons told me to do a pacifist playthrough.

Let me be that anon. Play a pacifist palythrough. This game is something incredible. You deserve to experience this.
>>
File: tumblr_nzjdd9MvdF1v22jh2o9_1280.png (233 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzjdd9MvdF1v22jh2o9_1280.png
233 KB, 900x900
>>320586427
>hating on the best, trans-inclusive anti-heteronormative fanbase in existance
>being this stuck in the dark ages
Look, because I loved Earthbound, I bought it blindly, not knowing a single thing, and what I spent my money on. What I got was my personal best experience ever, finding every little secret, and trying to earn every ending.

This is something to jump into blindly, I'd highly recommend you don't see anything about it until you've gotten the two biggest endings.

The only turnoff I can find, is the sheer amount of praise this game gets everyday. Many who haven't played will think it's overhyped, but when you do, you are guaranteed to love it.
>>
File: 1450324981785.gif (264 KB, 148x111) Image search: [Google]
1450324981785.gif
264 KB, 148x111
>>320578602
>all in all
God fucking damn I hate this phrase
>>
>>320586986
>let's mosey
>>
>>320586386
I was a fan of Undertale until I saw this image, now I hate it for making this exist.
>>
guarantee this game will be forgotten in 6 months
>>
>>320585982

Anyone?
>>
>>320586794
I know you're trolling but I still wanna complain some more on how this shit fanbase treats the characters. Fucking undine, instead of being know for her great "THE HEROINE APPEARS" scene, is know for being gay. Sans, is some tragic figure who might as well be wearing a trenchcoat and carrying a katana for how he behaves.

tumblr is truly the worst fanbase
>>
>>320586484
I guess I'll give it another shot sometime. For pacifist do I just never kill anything?
>>
>>320586986
'per se' is my pet peeve.
>>
File: tumblr_nyx3gtNRDz1txvg5yo1_540.png (29 KB, 462x759) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyx3gtNRDz1txvg5yo1_540.png
29 KB, 462x759
>>320587398
>tumblr, one of the greatest all inclusive websites on the internet is only home to one fandom
he storytelling in this game is an absolute masterclass. Character development, plot and mechanics are perfectly in harmony to tell an at times hilarious, occasionally terrifying and sometimes gut wrenching story. The game is extremely creative with its combat mechanics, has a very fitting disregard for the fourth wall, and the world building makes a relatively small place feel enormous. The musical score is gorgeous, and the visuals, a little rough around the edges, are for the most part very good.
>>
>>320585982
Do Genocide if you're only doing 1 run, it's more interesting than the normal route
>>
>>320585982
Genocide, kill literally everything, and when I mean everything, I mean EVERYTHING. There will be grinding, but if you don't want to reload and you want a good ending then go Genocide.
>>
>>320578602
>shit gameplay
why the fuck should i care then
>buh muh story
i'll read a book or watch a movie, i don't play video games for muh story
>>
>>320578602
>>320580126
I agree with most of these.
I'm glad I played the demo years before /v/ started hating it or else I would've never played it. Fuck /v/, it made me think Fallout 4 was shit and glitchy when it's actually really fun.
>>
>>320588791
>likes undermeme
>likes fallout 4
god damn i can't even keep up the act anymore. this is cancer and i hope you cucks get nuked off this board.
play real video games.
>>
>>320580501
It's 2-bit, black and white
>>
>>320588926
>dislikes two of the better games released this year
Kek, what do you even like? Bet you didn't even play any of those, you fuckwit.
>>
>>320586427
You think that's bad you should see all the fan-art of him that gives him a drooling blue tongue
You know
Cause he needed one
>>
File: bad meme.png (70 KB, 359x160) Image search: [Google]
bad meme.png
70 KB, 359x160
>>320589121
played both, they were both shit.
Fo4 isn't an RPG, and undertale was generic tumblrcore garbage.
games I liked this year: MGSV, car soccer, various weebshit you'd hate.
>>
>>320589592
>weebshit
There's the problem famicom.
>>
File: 1448225143440.png (456 KB, 804x876) Image search: [Google]
1448225143440.png
456 KB, 804x876
>>320589592
>MGSV
>weebtrash
>memeng this hard
(A) hate shitposters
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.