[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have 10 seconds to name a jrpg with a more original story.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (877 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
image.png
877 KB, 970x546
You have 10 seconds to name a jrpg with a more original story. Its ok, i'll wait
>>
The World Ends With You
NieR
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VIII
Xenosaga (series)
Vagrant Story
Bloodborne
>>
Terranigma

>>320503963
>bloodborne

Does that even count?
>>
>>320504251
It's kinda derivative of DeS in some ways but I still think the plot is original enough to qualify, yeah
>>
>>320503589
The setting is very original, yes.

But the story is essentially a reconstruction. It's interesting but still has many JRPG tropes at heart. Personally I didn't like the direction the story took in its last leg.

Tales of the Abyss has the best story in JRPGs in my experience
>>
>>320504440
I meant to imply that it isn't a JRPG but a WRPG
>>
>>320504509
It's made in Japan, why would you call it a WRPG?

You're not the sort who think either term are genres, are you?
>>
>>320503589
You're mixing up story with setting senpai
>>
The setting WAS original. The story, certainly not.
>>
>>320503589
If only because it's such an odd clusterfuck of shit happening all the time.
>>
>>320504669
There was some argument a few years back about Dark Souls being a WRPG at heart which kind of convinced me so I don't know

I understand it's made in japan but I also feel it doesn't work as a traditional JRPG
>>
>>320504998
It's an RPG
Made in Japan
a Japanese RPG
a JRPG
>>
>>320504998
There's no such thing as a traditional JRPG anyway, Japan's output pre-90s was just them copying western game systems like Wizardry or D&D - and after that their output was way too diverse to call any specific form the traditional one.

Though if you want a term for old-school FF and DQ style stuff the japs/some English forums call them Light RPGs.
>>
>>320503589
Custom Robo
>>
>>320503589
MUH NADO
>>
Radiant Historia
>>
Xenogears

Wow that was easy
>>
>>320503589
>>
The story blew its load after metalface shanks fiora. It's nothing but a generic jrpg story after that.
>>
>>320504998
Dark souls isn't even a rpg. It's an action game. You wouldn't call symphony of the night a rpg
>>
>>320507614
>Dark souls isn't even a rpg.
And then there's this nigger... baka tbqh senpai
>>
>>320507749
It's not stupid. Just because you gain stats /l
>>
>>320508369
You level up, you gain stats, you manage items and equipment, it's possible to fight alongside another player and fight against players. What more do you need to consider it an RPG?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.