[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 4838557-6848966411-maxre.jpg (77 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
4838557-6848966411-maxre.jpg
77 KB, 960x540
>I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea. I will always be with you. Plant your roots in me. I won't see you end as ashes. You're all diamonds.

For as shit as the story is, I think we can all agree that this scene and the mission leading to it are brilliant and by far the best parts of the game.
>>
bamp
>>
>>320497446

I like MGSV I just wish Kojima would FINISH THE FUCKING GAME
>>
>>320498658
Probably far too late for that. Konami just doesn't give a shit about the unfinished state the game is in. We can hope for DLC or an update that adds in the last mission, but it's most likely to not happen.
>>
>>320497446
>best parts of the game
Nope. Best part of the story certainly, but the mission has no gameplay. Mission 30 - Skull Face is the best in gameplay.
>>
>>320499169
>no gameplay
Maybe so, but it sure as shit impacts the shit out of the player.
>the moment your soldiers salute you as you kill them one by one
Sorry to be that guy, but which mission was thirty? All the missions in the game are so damn similar I tend to forget them.
>>
>>320499476
>Maybe so, but it sure as shit impacts the shit out of the player.
Yeah, but out of nowhere getting a story centric mission in a gameplay centric game is a bit silly. If the game had taken a more story focused direction I might have agreed, but I didn't really feel anything for my MB staff, not with the randomly generated names and faces I was seeing for the first time in that mission.

The one where you head to Skull Face's base. The base was the best in the game, and better than Camp Omega by a mile. By far the tensest and most fun mission for me. Music was excellent too.
>>
>>320499765
I can definitely see where you're coming from. If the game was more story focused the mission might have been better.

And, again, sorry to be that guy, but is that the mission where you make your way to his base and that awful car ride cutscene plays? I took like a two month break after finishing chapter one because I was incredibly salty over the game's story.
>>
>>320500157
Yep, that one car ride that we all probably wish we could forget about, happens at the end of that mission.
>>
>>320500157
Yeah, the cutscene is kinda shit, but like I said, I'm playing MGSV for the gameplay, I lost most interest in the story of MGS at 4, and MGSV's gameplay is why I love it so much. But that car ride hardly ruins the mission, I've played it countless times, it's great to try and rush through, the camp is really fucking well made.
>>
>best part
no it wasn't, the best one was the Paz scene. That scene was what Phantom Pain is about. Not some shoehorned drawn-out shooting gallery of people-you-really-dont-care-about-but-you-should-cuz-muh-emotion.

Shining lights, even in death had a good concept, but thet content was hollow as hell.
>>
>>320500402
The gameplay is without a doubt the best part of the game. I just wish there was more emphasis on level design. So many areas feel the same. It's the trade off for the game being open world, I guess, but if the game was level based instead of open world, the areas would probably have so much more attention and care put into them.
>>
>>320500551
What Paz scene? Does something happen if you bring her all mementos? I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.
>>
>>320500818
collect all the wandering former msf soldiers and give the photos they hold to paz. After you finish each one, you'll get an extra cutscene.
>>
>>320500951
I'm assuming it's just a cutscene that reveals she's just a hallucination, because not even in Metal Gear could a bitch survive a bomb in her womb.
>>
>>320499169
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjjHMIYnm2Q
>>
>>320500818
>>320500951
Also gonna add to this that the final photo shows up on the wall in the hallway leading to her door. I did all the wondering soldier missions and was wondering why the fuck I wasn't seeing this final cutscene only to eventually find a photo on the wall of the hallway outside her door.

I'd also just like to add that the whole side mission and the very idea of Paz as a character is dumb as fuck. I don't get why anyone ever liked her or why people care so much about this particular story element tacked on to MGSV. I agree that the game would be weaker without it as a side story, but that's just because the game is so weak for story in general.
>>
>>320497446

But how, exactly? I didn't feel anything for my Diamond Dogs. They weren't as involved with me. I was literally walking through the corridors just blowing them away one after another. It didn't make me feel like MGS3 did with Eva telling you why The Boss did what she did. It doesn't have the same effect. It would be much better if Han gets killed by his son Kylo Ren.
>>
>>320501116
yep
>>
>>320497446

It had no build up. You barely interact with your soldiers. If you had more to do with them at Mother Base, it would have been a very powerful moment, but you don't.
>>
>>320501407

This.
>>
>>320500661
>So many areas feel the same.
I've heard this criticism a lot and there are only a couple of missions I actually felt this way. Honestly, I love most of the camps in the game, and they all feel diverse since they're not just enemy base 1, enemy base 2, and on and on. It takes place in occupied Afghan/African territory and that's what all the camps are; Villages, an airport, an oilfield, a mansion, an abandoned palace, etc.
The problem I have are all the small outposts with just a few people there to take up space and don't even have any reason to be there, since no missions actually take place there. I don't wish they'd not gone open world, but I would rather hadn't made the map as big as they did, then there wouldn't be so much empty space they felt like filling.

Unrelated to that, but a lot of the criticism comes from the Chapter 1/2 thing. Which was just plain stupid. Get rid of the chapters entirely, and when you beat Sahelanthropus, just show EPILOGUE like at the beginning when the prologue happened. That way, the fact that the epilogue is shorter than the main game would be excusable, and the repeat missions just post game activities. Trying to extend the game for extending the game's sake is stupid, when you don't have enough game to put there. Especially when "Chapter 1" is 25+ hours long anyway, there's more then enough game there already Kojima, you didn't need to pretend you had more.

Still, issues aside, it's still my favorite in the series, either that or 3. I had too much fun playing it, and the story while not great, was fun to experience, and had a few real good moments, like OP's one and the Paz scene.
My real issues come down to pretty non-issue stuff anyway, like the chapter naming thing, and the small mini-ouposts.
>>
File: 1419794334895.jpg (86 KB, 442x740) Image search: [Google]
1419794334895.jpg
86 KB, 442x740
>tfw nothing in mgs5 is as affecting as sniper wolf's/emma's death, killing the boss, making your way down the microwave hallway wondering if snake will actually just die, or pulling the AI boards from peace walker as the boss AI slowly deteriorates HAL 9000 style

this game was honestly one of the bigger disappointments i've ever experienced
>>
>>320501407
Agreed. The ending to GZ impacted me more, since I cared more about the people on Mother Base.

More cutscenes like the low morale one when a fight breaks out on base would have made it more impacting, and tapes of events going on on MB like in Peace Walker, but Kojima really wanted to ditch story this time round I suppose.

The only interaction you really get with them are mindless "welcome home boss" and looking at mugshots on your iDroid.
And if you decide to play as your combat staff, there's that. It's really just not enough to make the mission sad though.
>>
yeah that part was great, along with the surreal ass earbud haunted factory nightmare level
>>
File: pituh.jpg (71 KB, 437x292) Image search: [Google]
pituh.jpg
71 KB, 437x292
>>320502408
I have a recommendation for you.
>>
>>320499169
>but the mission has no gameplay

You have to shoot all your fucking guys in the face

Manually, one by one
>>
>>320497446
https://a.pomf.cat/abcyrl.mp4

Just this line alone made Chief Kief a better Snake than Hayter ever was.
>>
>>320502706
It's not fun, and doesn't require skill or actual effort.
It's not "gameplay" in the same sense that every other mission is.
>>
File: diamonds from their asses.jpg (222 KB, 1032x988) Image search: [Google]
diamonds from their asses.jpg
222 KB, 1032x988
>>320497446
It was good, but like many of the game's other scenes that were good on their own merits, it felt like it was made as a trailer and then deposited into the game. All the scenes with cool tension and stuff were put in a trailer, and felt a bit disjointed from the surrounding game. You'd play 60 hours of "boss go here do this bla bla bla", occasionally stopping to watch one of the dramatic trailer cutscenes.
>>
>>320502863
I think this is the main reason that Quiet's story is my favorite parts of the game. I hate her design, but the arc invovling her was pretty much never shown in any of the trailers, and her stuff was less crazy over the top scenes, and felt more in tone with the gameplay. Not to mention Quiet is actually present in the gameplay, so it doesn't feel weird when she shows up in a cutscene. Skull Face, Huey and that are all disorientating when they show up since it's pretty much the first time in several hours you've seen them, and then after that cutscene they disappear for another several hours. Quiet's story also had an ending.
>>
>>320502560
you can't play it anymore unless you've downloaded it right after it came out
>>
>>320504086
>right after
More like within the 5 months it was available.
>>
File: 1449201547977.gif (3 MB, 257x212) Image search: [Google]
1449201547977.gif
3 MB, 257x212
All the development time in the world couldn't make up for a game with all promise and a poor narrative
>>
>>320504209
All the development time in the world could probably follow up on those empty promises.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.