[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just found out that Cave Story got a full-on remake for the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10
File: 1450211410807.jpg (213 KB, 1249x1111) Image search: [Google]
1450211410807.jpg
213 KB, 1249x1111
I just found out that Cave Story got a full-on remake for the 3DS.
How's it?
Is it twin snakes tier or REmake tier?
>>
>>320464539
It's alright.

Also Curly a best
>>
>>320464539
I own it and now it's super rare. The game is the best of both worlds, as you can switch from 3D to Classic. The 3D looks great and there are some neat features such as playing as a Prinny and a remixed OST. I believe there's an alt ending, but haven't gotten there. It's Cave Story, what more do you want?
>>
>>320464539
it's hard to find. Pretty good though if you can get it for a good price.
>>
is on the eshop i think
>>
>>320464539
The game is not actually rare, but the box is. You can get a loose copy for about 25.

I think it's the best version of cave story. Play it with the sprites on the 3d backgrounds, it gives it a sort of ps1 klanoa-esk feel. It has a unique glitch in it that lets you get all the weapons in one playthrough if you quit the game in creative ways too, this gives the game a fresh new kind of replayability.
>>
Why buy it when you can get the original with English patch for free easily?
>>
I own it, but I can't say I'm a fan of the 3D style. Everything feels too dark and details get lost in the transition from 2D to 3D.
>>
It looks like complete ass. Just stick to the original freeware version.
>>
if you've played the dsi version you've played this
it's the same thing but in 3d and with more rooms and treasures
it just has curly story and hell mode, no wind fortress or machine gun
if you want content, get the plus version on steam or the widescreen one on 3ds, otherwise get this because it looks great
there's also a fun glitch you can do to get infinite health and get items and weapons early
>>
>>320466825

Why play the original when you can get Cave Story + and patch in the original fan translation instead?

Dat new soundtrack.
>>
>>320469579
Because it's the free and original one-man miracle that needs no further comment. Nicalis is a sub par studio that doesn't deserve money, and even if you wanted to pirate it the Plus version does not add anything worthwhile. The new soundtracks are worse. The new sprites are worse. I know it might seem "alright" to the average boy, but case by case it's decidedly overall worse.
>>
>>320464539
It isn't terrible, but lacks a lot of content that the cheaper eShop version does. It is cool to see the game in 3D, but the models themselves aren't very good. It's been awhile since I've played, but I'm pretty sure I remember it's frame rate being pretty bad at times too. The only thing it really has over other versions is that the game is slightly extended. It's pretty minimal though. Just like one area, and more Life Capsules.
>>
>>320469785

I don't know how anyone can say the new sprites are worse, and the Danny Baranowsky remixed soundtrack is great (not the godawful WiiWare soundtrack, that sucks), but ultimately that's personal preference. And playing as Curly Brace is the best.

And guess what? All that is completely optional, so if you want to stick with the completely original experience, you can, or if you want to mix and match music and sprites, you can.
>>
>>320465154
Except you can't play as her on the 3ds remake
>>
File: Predator+Blu-ray+Comparison.jpg (170 KB, 1094x724) Image search: [Google]
Predator+Blu-ray+Comparison.jpg
170 KB, 1094x724
>>320470241
New spriteset looks bad. Makes the environments look too clean. Makes characters less abstract and expressive. Overall turns the game and makes it a bit more morbid. Pixel's guiding hand knew what he was doing with everything but Nicalis' was bumbling, sloppy job of pointlessly doubling resolution with no goal or aim. Sort of like a bad Blu ray transfer-- higher quality but overall worse. Some day I'll make some memey image that compares the two.
>>
>get some email coupon for used games for GS a couple of years back
>pick this up for like $10 along with KI, don't really think much of it, really just grabbing whatever
>it's suddenly worth like $60

Weird shit. Got all the inserts and everything. I'm not really into the way the 3D models are made, and I actually prefer the downloadable 3DS version. I was hoping that this version would let me play a completely 2D version with that pop up 3D effect, but whatever, I guess it's nice to have a physical copy of Cave Story, in any form.
>>
File: 1450166683761.png (11 KB, 341x198) Image search: [Google]
1450166683761.png
11 KB, 341x198
>>320470798
It doesn't look that bad.
>>
File: pluscomp.jpg (177 KB, 1282x960) Image search: [Google]
pluscomp.jpg
177 KB, 1282x960
>>320472481
>>
File: pluscomp2.jpg (15 KB, 494x247) Image search: [Google]
pluscomp2.jpg
15 KB, 494x247
>>320472550
>>
File: pluscomp3.png (2 KB, 425x238) Image search: [Google]
pluscomp3.png
2 KB, 425x238
>>320472632
>>
>>320465205
Is the alt ending the same as in original or is it a different ending, exclusive to 3D?
>>
>>320472550
>Hud is half the resolution of everything else

no good
>>
File: grafixx.gif (16 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
grafixx.gif
16 KB, 800x1000
>>320472481
>>320474397
fix'd typo
>>
File: let go.jpg (37 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
let go.jpg
37 KB, 960x960
>>320472481
>>320472550
>>320472632
>>320472737
>Quote's mouth is visible
>Curly's mouth is visible (and open)
>The mimiga has pointless eyegleam to make it look cute and helpless rather than leaving the expression up to the viewer
>objects are clipping in the screenshot making it look unprofessional and sloppy

Yeah, I can honestly say I like the original graphics more.

And that's my opinion, and just like I'm entitled to my opinion, you're entitled to yours!
>>
File: Face-Curly_Brace_o.png (1 KB, 96x96) Image search: [Google]
Face-Curly_Brace_o.png
1 KB, 96x96
the games run at different paces too, like if you compare your best times on running hell for the PC vs on 3DS I think the 3DS is almost 2x as fast IIRC
>>
>>320475734
Original Cave Story runs at 50fps. Plus runs at 60fps, which speeds up the whole game.
>>
File: 1448733906141.jpg (154 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1448733906141.jpg
154 KB, 1440x900
>>320474472
You were really serious when you said you were going to do a memey image.
In all honesty though, original quote and curly are superior, that's not an opinion, that's a fact.
Also, come on, the remastered soundtrack is not bad.
However, they butchered one track, and it is sadly this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykr8hnOyOBo
the original sounds more ominous
>>
It's decent, but the 3d visuals are kind of bad. You can switch it to classic, but you still have the 3d environments and the "classic" version of the music is an "enhanced" version of the original.
Even with the classic mode, the controls are still pretty bad.
On the plus side there are some extra content but nothing impressive. After the first zone is destroyed they extended the area from the "egg room" to the balcony area by a longish corridor. The Sisters is a mandatory battle, if I recall correctly. And there's an under side of the island where you can get a mask that does nothing.
If the game wasn't easy enough they added a ludicrous ammount of life upgrades.

If you have to buy the game, stick with CS+ pr go with the EShop download. Unless you're a fanatic about the game, like me, don't spend more than $15 on it.
>>
>>320464539
I bought the widescreen 3ds eshop version. Any downsides?
>>
>>320478717
Send help
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.