[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/v/ I've come across a problem I can't seem to fix.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: pc.png (40 KB, 673x530) Image search: [Google]
pc.png
40 KB, 673x530
/v/ I've come across a problem I can't seem to fix.
whenever I play a game, as long as I start playing once my PC boots up, I'll get about 30-40 min of 60FPS with no stutters, but after a while my FPS will randomly drop to 1 and sometimes sub 1, or even just freeze up for half a second and go right back to 60FPS, its actually made a few games unplayable. It also only seems to happen when a sort of grinding/chugging sound happens inside the computer. Funny thing is, this only recently started happening once i had to swap the ram out, i used to have 16gigs but now I only have 8 in there because the ram fucked itself and stopped the computer from booting.
in short
>grinding/chugging noise comes from computer
>framerate just kills itself or just freezes up and goes right back to 60fps
>happens when even nothing intense is going on in game, even if im just sitting there.

pic related, my PC specs. Any ideas as to what it is? is it bad ram?
>>
File: pc-fire-flames.jpg (39 KB, 600x307) Image search: [Google]
pc-fire-flames.jpg
39 KB, 600x307
>>320464297
Maybe a memory leak causing an offload to the CPU which overheats, causing the fan to accelerate and grind.
>>
>>320464297
When was the last time you dusted our all your parts?
>>
>>320464453
This is actually my first PC build, do you have any idea how i might find whats causing the memory leak?
>>
>>320464570
Does it only happen in one game or in any game?
>>
>>320464560
Its been a while, I'll try that before anything else
>>
>>320464570
if it occurs in regardless of software conditions, it's likely related to the OS or firmware. Try reinstalling drivers. Best thing to do is open it up and listen to see which part is grinding. That would really narrow down diagnosis.
>>
>>320464601
Since the ram fucked off, I've played
>E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy
>GTA 5
>Fallout: NV
>Skyrim
and its happened in each one. it first occured on skyrim and NV, but at first i thought it was just those games performing badly in general
>>
>>320464672
Dammit bro. You need to at least clean that shit out once every two weeks or MAYBE once a month.
>>
>>320464820
I came from consoles, so I'm kind of ignorant to PC up keep, I'll for sure start cleaning it out every other week
>>
>>320464793
I don't know about E.Y.E., but the others are all big-ass open world games. Could be the hard drive shitting itself trying to load assets. If its a hard disk, then the grinding makes sense.
>>
>>320464951
Don't clean it that often. You're more likely to accidentally fuck it up with static discharge or somesuch if you do it so frequently. I only do it every few months, but then again, I don't have much dust.
>>
>>320464959
Thing is though, it will run perfectly fine for quite a while, and then bam il start getting stutters. and If i deal with it for a bit, after about 30ish min it'll go back to normal, only to stutter again in 10 minutes
>>
>>320465101
Open up the case and listen for the problem. Run speccy while you're playing and check temps when it happens.
>>
>>320464297
Welcome to the world of sli (though lel you only have a 1080p monitor, upgrade that shit you're wasting your performance)

Also upgrade your drivers, shit's old yo
Your processor could be bottlenecking as well
>>
>>320465472
>Also upgrade your drivers
Go back to your shitty gamefaqs forum.
>>
>>320465472
Is it possible SLI is causing it?
also I'm gonna sound like a massive faggot, but what do you mean the CPU could be bottlenecking?
Sorry, I'm still kind of computer illiterate
>>
>>320465604
Fuck off the adults are talking
>>
>>320464570
put soapy water all over your ram, cpu and gpu and if any bubbles come out there's your leak
>>
>>320465639
AMD cpus aren't known for their power, so it could be having trouble keeping up with two pretty fast cards
>>
>>320465860
its possible, but this didnt happen before my 16gig ram went bad. shit was smooth as butter
>>
File: laughing.jpg (19 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
19 KB, 413x395
>>320465828
>>
>>320466142
Is your ram maxed out when playing games?

8gb is on the lower side these days
>>
>>320466228
Not that I've noticed, its always been under 50% during a game session
>>
as stupid as this sounds, check if you aint running windows in powersavings mode
>>
>>320464297
Is your hard drive okay? Hard to imagine anything else making a grinding noise
>>
>>320464297
> 970

You have c-u-c-k ram in your video card.
>>
>>320464297
Turn off one video card and turn off SLI.

SLI is really really bad for 970 because of the bad .5gb of ram.
>>
>>320468542
nice meme
>>
>>320468625
Doesnt turning off SLI auto turn off the card not in use? how would you manually turn one off?
>>
>>320469061
Yea but it's actually true tho.

The motherboard and OS thinks you have a full 4gb of ram for one card. But once you put it on sli, it thinks you have a full 8gb of ram on your cards. It doesn't take into account that .5gb of each card is some slow shit ram.

Usually the last .5gb of bad ram is used as last resort. But in SLI, it uses that bad ram before starting on the next card's ram once it reaches 3.5gb of ram. That's the cause of the sudden drop to 1fps then back up to 60 after a few seconds. Mobo and OS doesn't know you have some shitty slow ass ram.
>>
>>320469474
where do you take out the bad ram from
>>
>>320469474
>it thinks you have a full 8gb of ram on your cards
My god no it fucking doesn't. Current implementations of sli/cf mirror the data on the cards, it doesn't pool it together

You don't know shit about computers and yet spout memes, why am I not surprised?
>>
>>320469390
>Doesnt turning off SLI auto turn off the card not in use? how would you manually turn one off?

Honestly, I'm not really sure. The only way I know for sure is to just take the card out. But you're welcome to try just turning off SLI. You may be right.
>>
>>320469619
>where do you take out the bad ram from

You can't. nvidia fucks over everyone who buys a 970.
>>
>>320469681
I'll pull it out if everything else doesnt work, my case is a tad bit too small for all the damn cables in there, and it was a bitch fitting 2 cards in there in the first place
>>
>>320469764
Do you actually have one, or do you just regurgitate what you see on the internet?
>>
>>320469681
>>320469829
Do you guys just suck nvidia cock and believe nvidia can do no wrong?
>>
>>320469902
Do you just blindly hate Nvidia because of memes on the internet?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.