[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about this game that made it so wildly popular and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
What is it about this game that made it so wildly popular and turned Final Fantasy into a mainstream franchise in the west?
>>
>>320459614
3D
>>
It was fun, had good music, had(then) fun combat, Materia is still a good system, it has an incredibly diverse cast that has become legendary.
>>
>>320459614
Tifa's big Tifas.
>>
Cloud's massive sword
>>
DBZ with gigantic faggots swords and shitty Tifa, literally the only thing that got all the drooling anime retards into the series.
>>
File: 1445758144640.jpg (99 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1445758144640.jpg
99 KB, 500x500
>>320459614

Biggest marketing budget for a game up to that time (and still in the top 10 of all time).

That's really it. The core Final Fantasy fans are only about a million people. It takes Pixar levels of marketing to get more sales. Which is what FFVII did.
>>
>>320459885
>>320459935
>>320459993
whats funny is I can tell you're too young to have played it cuz we were more interested in E. skills and chocobo breeding than tits and a big sword

>being the 16 year old who has to hate a game that's unanimously loved

;)
>>
>>320459614
>no vincient in pic

Kek
>>
>>320460341
I'm in my 30s sonny, try again. My first was the original on the NES, 7 is the most overrated FF and one of the most overrated games in history next to Halo.
>>
>>320460450
Of course it's incredibly overrated, so is sex, and weed, and money, and life.
>>
>>320460531
>>320460341

>stop having a dissenting opinion about my favorite game!

Only took 10 posts for the thread to get derailed into the typical FF fanboy defense. Good job.
>>
>>320459614
1.Anime was new and hip and the neuvaue modern anime style that was cool back in the 90s but has pretty much died out now was unbelievably popular the world over.

2.CG videos were rare and unheard of the multimedia spectacle and marketing that Square helped start basically changed the game when it came to video game presentation.

3.It was a cartoonish game that was mature and looked cool and everyone liked so they could just play it and have fun.

4.It had something for everyone in it.

5.The gameplay was accessible by everyone and the materia was basically like a little puzzle game with a press x for awesome game play mechanic. No seriously, the fighting, the magic, the summoning scary monsters was all awesome as fuck and it being simple to do and casual as fuck enough for anyone to play at any stage of time meant that it had a massive appeal to a massive chunk of the audience.

5.By casual I mean it was casual, it took as much effort as you wanted to put into it and it had a small straight forward non GODDAMNIT JAPAN STOP THAT SHIT tier story that drew you in. Now we have niggas getting their head blown off from rigged soccer balls and having to fuck the dead bodies of people to make them into summoning monsters. Goddamn, no wonder seymore was fucked up.
>>
>>320459614
Graphical leap, and weighty RPG length. One of the few franchises that stack up multiple discs to enjoy one game.
>>
File: 031022.jpg (767 KB, 2089x3004) Image search: [Google]
031022.jpg
767 KB, 2089x3004
woah...
>>
>>320459614
It was ahead of its time in terms of story, character development and art. Pretty sure the combat and leveling was different than the others before it but not sure. I don't remember very well. It's only value is because it did something no other game did. Not because it was phenomenal. It doesn't hold up today. It's just a decent game generally.
>>
I don't understand why people who post in these threads say "for then" all the time. Its still a fantastic game if you played it today, I played it just a couple years ago.
>>
File: facepalm_rassie.png (568 KB, 559x597) Image search: [Google]
facepalm_rassie.png
568 KB, 559x597
>>320461951

>It was ahead of its time in terms of story, character development and art.

It copied FFIV, FFVI, Blade Runner and Dragon Quest. It wasn't ahead of anything.
>>
>>320462258
Gonna have to go in depth on that
>>
>>320461951
>rehash of ff6 with a dieselpunk setting instead of steampunk
>ahead of its time
>>
>>320461951
>ahead of it's time
>it's a literal copy paste of FF6 but made bad
>>
>>320460942
>Graphical leap
wat?
>>
>>320462336

Go do your own homework. The fact that you say the story was ahead of its time means you need to read and watch a lot more stuff anyway.
>>
>>320462615
Not even the anon you originally replied to. Just saying if you're gonna make claims like that you need to explain
>>
>>320459614
1.It was another sequel to an already popular RPG series
2.With its cgi cutscenes which were fresh and new in the 90s it was probably the best looking game on any system the year of its release
3.It came out in that period of time when anime was starting to become big worldwide so the character designs of the man cast also helped
>>
>>320462195
This. Its a good game for plenty of reasons, being "the first to do something new" means fuck all and that's what meme games are all about.

See undertale
>>
>>320462963
>>320462336

Past FF games introduced many of the things people claim FFVII introduced. A major character dying (Aria from FFIII). An insular focused main character (Cecil in FFIV). A dark atmosphere (Again with FFIV). Rebels against a governing force hurting the planet (half the FF games ever made). etc. And Materia was a remix of Espers in FFVI.

The influences from Blade Runner and Dragon Quest should be self explanatory.
>>
>>320460228

i live in an 3rd world country and i can confirm this is true, it was about the only time i saw tons of posters on my local store, i didnt even knew what was a psone
>>
>>320462615
Ok, I can do my homework. But just to lead me in the right direction, what other story of the time had a main character who took on the personality of a stronger person they met, developed a crush on their girlfriend, then had a psychological breakdown and forced the secondary love interest to delve into their broken psyche and piece together their patchwork emotions?
>>
>>320463039

>>320462491
>>
>>320459614

Tifa's tits.
>>
>>320463370
Who the fuck cares about any of that anyways. Being the first to do something won't inherently make anything good. It has a great story with great pacing, one of the best soundtracks in gaming, and materia definitely was pretty fresh. Of course there's more to list but those are biggies.
>>
>>320459614
its so braindead easy any casual can beat it.
>>
>>320463705

>Who the fuck cares about any of that anyways.
Anyone who wants to correct an idiot for claiming FFVII was ahead of its time and original.

>>320463474

The Princess Bride. Multiple Victor Hugo novels. The West Wing. Final Fantasy IV. etc.
>>
>>320460450
I don't see how ff6 is any more underated. No job class, to many characters, sabin commands are horribly timed, forced to level up party members you don't want because they take them away from you for a good part of the game. Translation blew. Gba was censored so the only decent version is pal psx. Sure ff6 was a head of its time but quickly became outdated once chrono was released.
>>
>>320464135

It was actually surpassed by multiple SNES RPGs that came before it. Especially Dragon Quest V.
>>
3D
Easy as fuck
Released at the right time
Tits
>>
>>320464217
I agree I just liked how some characters had different combat mechanics really. Other than that ff6 wasn't all that ground breaking. Defiantly not as ground breaking as tales, chrono or star ocean on snes
>>
The pacing was great
Story was interesting and gripping
Dynamics between characters was engaging
Music was incredible
Quarks (e.g., honeybee) and mindfuckery ("who am I?", not even as an exestential question, but a literal 'is Cloud actually Zack? Did he take his persona?') were a bit ahead of their time
Decent battle system, but awesome summons
Tons of interesting side plots, quests, etc., -- presented a level of discovery that wasn't terribly common for games of the time

It was all novel for the West, at the time, and became a benchmark of sorts
>>
>>320460939
Don't forget
>Massive marketing campaign that tried to pass off Fmvs as in game graphics
>>
>>320463968
Wot. Terra goes supersaiyan without knowing why/how and has a brief depression. No where close to the false persona and personality shattering of Cloud
>>
It's a very good game (inb4 "nuh uh not isn't it's literally the worst thing ever) but it's also a case of right place, right time.
>>
>>320464981

Final Fantasy IV. Not VI. Learn roman numerals.

Cecil is very similar to Cloud. Some aspects of story are slightly different He takes on the role of a Dark Knight to follow his father rather than stealing his role from someone like Cloud. But the end result of their actions lead to the same insular, loner personality who is trying to avoid everyone who helps him. Especially the main love interest (Rosa and Tifa respectively). Tifa might as well have blonde hair and she'd be the exact same as Rosa.
>>
-Great transition into 3D that continued Square's tradition of creating a large range of emotions out of characters that barely represent things
-Unusual setting for the series
-Mature story that was easy to understand and had strong themes
-Great pacing
-Aeris' death
-Memorable as fuck and diverse main cast
-One of the most memorable villains ever created
-Incredibly good and overall perfectly cohesive soundtrack
-Varied gameplay with all sorts of gameplay styles being explored through minigames
-The best video game intro to date
It's just really solid.
>>
>>320465383

I wish people would stop saying this. It wasn't luck, randomly appearing at the right time. It was made the time by 100 million dollars in marketing.

Other series like Pokemon did the same thing with huge marketing campaigns. Hell, if SquareEnix put 100 million dollars behind marketing a Dragon Quest game, it could also become a breakout hit.
>>
>>320465595

>large range of emotions
>memorable cast
>great pacing
>One of the most memorable villains ever created

Funny how Suikoden II did all of these things better and didn't sell 9 million copies.

Also

>The best video game intro to date

Holy hell, how blind of a fanboy are you?
>>
File: FUI.jpg (94 KB, 476x358) Image search: [Google]
FUI.jpg
94 KB, 476x358
>>320459614
A plot which wasn't centered around collecting magic rocks - this was groundbreaking at the time for Final Fantasy.
>>
>>320466109

>A plot which wasn't centered around collecting magic rocks
>Materia
>Big Materia
>Holy

So instead of magic crystals, you collect magic balls? Wow, what a huge leap forward.
>>
>>320465696
People who think marketing is the primary reason for success are the worst. Sure, it may sell a shit product 1/1000000 of the time, but it's not even really all that necessary if you're selling a fan-fucking-tastic product to begin with.

It helped with FF7, absolutely. But that's because it was a time when the internet was in a fledgling state, compared to where it is now. Things like cover art, and FMV-based advertisements really did raise hype. But would that matter if someone popped in the game, and thought it was completely shit, because it was something totally different than what they were being peddled? No. That's where the quality of the actual game made it amazing. It was made popular due to word of mouth recommendations, by virtue of it's stellar quality.

This day in age, however, I'll never understand why games like GTAV need the marketing budget they have. Everyone who knows about the series knows about the next iteration, and will likely buy or pirate it anyway, and people that don't just think it's some weird cartoony shit.

Marketing is totally overrated shit, and it pisses me off that people hold it in such high regard, and value it over the quality of products that it's 'helping to sell'. That money could easily go into making a better product.
>>
File: 1449594917100.png (143 KB, 1385x300) Image search: [Google]
1449594917100.png
143 KB, 1385x300
>>320459614
marketing budgets and casualized/sterilized gameplay along side dark and edgy story elements which made it last longer in the mainstream than it should have
>>
>>320466459

>Sure, it may sell a shit product 1/1000000 of the time, but it's not even really all that necessary if you're selling a fan-fucking-tastic product to begin with.

If FFVII hasn't gotten its huge marketing campaign, it wouldn't have sold 9 million copies worldwide. Hell, no FF game since has, even with huge marketing campaigns.

Your logic is fucking stupid.
>>
>>320466915
You misunderstood my full post. I stated that it definitely played a role in the success of FF7, but it's not as big as some people in this thread are attributing it to be.

My primary point was that it's completely unnecessary this day and age.
>>
File: what_girl.jpg (38 KB, 362x346) Image search: [Google]
what_girl.jpg
38 KB, 362x346
>>320467317

>My primary point was that it's completely unnecessary this day and age.
Marketing is even more important nowthan it ever has been. Ifthe next Pokemon, Call of Duty, Hall or FF game came out with no marketing, only 500,000 devoted fans who follow online news would buy it. The rest of sales comes from the general market who don't buy a game unless its hyped up to high heaven with marketing.
>>
>>320465524
Oh lol I read it as VI because then it at least made a little sense

We're talking about actually psychologically THINKING YOURE NOT YOU, not the trope of following in a parents footsteps
>>
I think the drama between Nintendo and Square lended to it's popularity
>>
>>320468774

Good job ignoring the whole second part of that post.
>>
>>320464828
And yet it was still more than prior FF games had did. At least the FMVs were footage from the game. FF6 just had a cartoon Mog zapping monsters that told you nothing else about the game other than a weird cat thing with a big nose shot lightning out of its finger.
>>
>>320460450
>HURR everything I don't like is overrated

Well it's good to know that millions of people have better taste than you. Enjoy the choco chai tea you hipster faggot.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.