[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well /v/, is he right? Unless you're really autistic are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: cut.jpg (183 KB, 862x337) Image search: [Google]
cut.jpg
183 KB, 862x337
Well /v/, is he right?

Unless you're really autistic are you really going to keep playing those AAA games that are all the same for the rest of your life?
>>
I don't see how his lengthy post follows the initial point of the world's most beloved games being bad.
>>
File: slow.gif (32 KB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
slow.gif
32 KB, 350x400
>>320453563
>>
>>320453616
He's literally right about everything but his first point. A 6 hour romp through re-treaded themes and content is not going to be fondly remembered.
>>
>we gamers

poor nigger detected
>>
>>320453616
"Beloved" games in "history" being more casual and recent than you're thinking. Games like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Skyrim, 3D Fallouts, etc.
>>
>>320453437
the fuck else am i going to play? indie games? lmao
>>
>>320453437
Don't fall for his lies, he wants people to stop playing so he can get all the Halo and CoD high scores for himself.
>>
File: 1386490661496.png (195 KB, 800x764) Image search: [Google]
1386490661496.png
195 KB, 800x764
>>320456402
>>
That's a really, really pretentious way of saying "AAA gaming is inherently shit because it needs to appeal to as many people as possible in order to recoup its development costs".
>>
>>320453437
the problem i'm getting is reaching that same point with all other media.
tv is utter shit other than maybe 20 hours worth of programming a year
movies are 99% garbage
books are a huge time investment that could see you actually doing something with your life

like what the fuck am i even living for. i'm reaching a point in my life that i start to dread free time
>>
Most indy games are shallow rehashes as well though.
Good AA games don't release often enough to distract me from the crushing weight of my own failure.
>>
>>320456735
Are you implying profit isn't the primary driving force behind every AAA dev?
>>
>>320456894
>Most indy games are shallow rehashes as well though.
Key word here is most, as opposed to the AAA market which is 100% no risk rehashes.
>>
>>320453437
I've just switched to playing nothing but Japanese games.
I've also enjoyed vidya far more after doing so.
>>
>>320456920
No, I'm saying you're entirely right; because AAA games cost a shitload of money to make, they need to sell a shitload of copies. This means that they need to appeal to as many people as possible; in other words, it needs to be as inoffensive to as many people as possible. It's like Bud Light, or McDonalds in that regard.
>>
>>320456735
This is much more accurate, pretty much none of the execs at any studio or publisher actually give a single fuck about games, they only care about using them to make them money

What's worse is the advertising departments often getting as much of the budget as the dev team, what's the point in Rockstar or Activision spending hundreds of millions on marketing? All they would need is a handful of ads and posters and the games would sell millions just off the name and series
>>
>>320457084
I don't know, Demon's Souls came totally out of left field. A couple of other last-gen games surprised people as well, like Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex: HR (not a new IP, but the others were so old they were forgotten by plebs).
>>
>>320457209
Not to mention, being an actual good game would mean profit for years to come. Botching PC ports, in particular, really salts the earth where they should be growing their future profit.
>>
>>320457503
They don't understand shit like that though obviously, they think it's the marketing drive that brings in the money and they are right to an extent, the journalistic side of it also contributes heavily, it doesn't matter if a game is good or not just if it gets good reviews

Actually good games get lumped in with the shit ones that just get praise so everyone one involved gets their shekels so people ignore them and go for the overhyped pieces of shit
>>
>>320453437

>older and wiser
>not bitter and jaded

Niggers forget the point of a game is to have fun. Not everything's going to be fun for everybody, but the trick to enjoying games of any era is to quit being a cynical little bitch, lighten up, and just let yourself have a good time.

It's literally just that easy. People who write posts like this aren't saying anything smart other than "I kill what I love with my own hands, and it's not my fault it's dead."
>>
>>320457851
The aspects that used to be fun are replaced by aspects that are not fun at all, I like playing games and being challenged but now all you get are pandering babbytier shit with terrible writing and basically nothing to differentiate them from other games in the same genre
>>
>>320457851
This. I can't play most games with overanalyzing them on purpose and ruin it for seemingly no reason. Some games are just awful though.
>>
>using the term gamer
Opinion ignored.
>>
He's right desu

Very few new games demand as much of the player as older games did
>>
File: Mount_&_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg (57 KB, 339x470) Image search: [Google]
Mount_&_Blade_-_Warband_cover.jpg
57 KB, 339x470
>>320456402
>>
>>320457851
when you compare games you enjoyed even 5 years ago to later games in the same series even you see a big gulf in quality and a general lack of fun
>>
>>320458205
This

Games are getting closer and closer to just being interactive movies and not actually games, give it another 5 years and they will just be interactive movies
>>
I feel like maturing as a gamer is an oxymoron.

If you mature you stop enjoying all videogames.
>>
>>320457390
Those games were a little risky, but they weren't risk from an innovation perspective.

I never got into DS but from I can gather it's just another Z-targeting style combat game. The punishing nature of the game is the only risk here. This was obviously well accounted for as the marketing/advertising teams made sure to tell you just how hard the game was as a challenge.

Mirror's Edge? Come on, it was different but not risky. It was ridiculously linear and easy, carried by its graphics/art design.

I enjoyed HR, but it could have been so much more. The core gameplay of the original was great source material and modern programming/tech could have spawned a much more in-depth game. Instead we got one that regressed but highly polished.
>>
>>320457826
I get worried when I see huge marketing budgets. Like, half the dev cost is marketing? It's probably going to be shit. Unfinished trash riddled with half-baked overpriced cosmetic DLC to make up for the fact that you are buying a marketing campaign. The first two Dragon Age games are a master class in this: while the first one was well-thought, and had enough (maybe too much) development time, the second one got shat out in less than a year and was barely in to alpha phase when it went gold. The result? DA:O sold about half of what 2 did in their first weeks. However, DA:O actually managed to shift copies in the subsequent weeks, while 2's sales plummeted, killed consumer confidence in Bioware, and is one of the most hated games in the generation.
>>
>>320453437
I agree with the general point being made.
Very rarely do newly released games give me that urge to play that costs me sleep, but going back and playing games that I missed from a decade or two ago I routinely find myself absorbed in them to the point of missing appointments and meals.
New games aren't mentally engaging. Everything feels like easy mode, or simple but the AI is cheating mode.
And the gameplay to everything-else ratio is fucked. It's like they're taking the most monotonous aspects of JRPGs, filming the most tired, cliche Hollywood movie within them, and using the actual gameplay as filler.
Just a bad movie with a leveling system.
>>
>>320457851

No, modern games are mostly just bad. I can pick up an old game that I've never played before and enjoy it, but with most modern games I'm bored to tears in the first five hours.
>>
There's a very good reason my SNES is still hooked up.
>>
>>320458254

>even five years ago

Bitch, I can compare games I was playing fifteen years ago, and the only issue I have is QTEs and too many cutscenes now compared to when storage was tight.

Otherwise I'm still having plenty of fun. Even AAA devs are trying new shit all the time compared to then. Sounds to me like you just need to git over yourself
>>
>>320458254
With the DLC now I like Bloodborne more than Demon's Souls.
and I fucking love Demon's Souls.
>>
>>320458742
>Mirror's Edge? Come on, it was different but not risky.
You're stupid.
>>
>>320458554
If that's true, then fuck "maturity".

On the other hand, here's a C.S. Lewis quote that I like...
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
>>
>>320459460
Yeah a game that handles like a shooter and has distinct gameplay that involves hitting up to 2 buttons to auto-climb the most advanced obstacles is incredibly innovative.
>>
>>320459552
You've got a long way to go anon, you completely missed the context here.

It's not maturing in some social/collective sense. The OP is strictly talking about maturing in an internal sense. That is not to say that you should advance yourself towards some perceived concept of "wisdom" but rather you should be active in maturing your mind lest it become stale.
>>
>>320453437
I think the problem with this, first point aside, is that I don't think it's possible to actually produce something like that. Yeah, you can do it mechanically, fightans, but story telling, puzzling, level design wise that's seeming near impossible. Maybe that sounds egotistical, but you have to essentially start outsmarting intelligent, seasoned gaming adults. It means constantly evolving the "language" of games, aiding the player less, and delving into perhaps philosophical discussion expressed through story and game play together as one, while presenting a world that is rewarding to explore and engages one to think about said. That's asking a lot, not just of the dev but the player, especially given the cost and planning that something like that would require in an environment where such a huge segment are essentially philistines that are barely capable of maintaining the attention required to finish these lcd games being cranked out now. heck, just look at the chunk of /v/ that scream like banshees vidya are toys and stories are not allowed and they shouldn't even dare to be more than that.
>>
>>320457851
You'll understand better when you get older and wiser.
>>
>>320459707
>hitting up to 2 buttons to climb obstacles
If a fast-paced game needs more than 2 or 3 buttons presses to do something relatively simple, it's pretty shit.
>>
>>320457203
There really hasn't been any upside to gaming becoming as big as it is now. Quality has suffered because dev costs have increased. SJWs who were never into games are jumping on them because they're "cool" now and are demanding changes to things they find "problematic". They also claim they're the real gamers, and people who disagree with them are relics of a less-enlightened dark age.

We just had a thread asking whether or not the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation was the last truly good generation. I think it was. Gaming was mainstream enough that more people were making games, but the current bullshit hadn't started yet. An interesting point from that thread was that that was the last generation where consoles were pure gaming machines. The PS2 and Xbox could play DVDs, but that was more like a bonus feature. Current consoles are trying to be multimedia platforms.
>>
>>320460195

I think the problem is that the medium is growing excessively stale and the focus on story is only interesting to newer audiences.

I haven't played any of the Bioshock games but I know they're lauded for their story/themes. I played the first one for an hour, I couldn't get into it because the gameplay was just a minor deviation on the dozens of shooters I've played previously. The themes in these games could probably be wrapped up in just a single hour and a half movie or even a single 50~ minute tv episode. But if I want to experience Bioshock I have to drag my balls through 10+ hours of uninteresting gameplay.
>>
>>320460049
I wasn't replying to the OP. I was replying to the guy who said "If you mature, you stop enjoying all videogames."
>>
>>320458742
>The punishing nature of the game is the only risk here
No, the lack of explicit storytelling and the fact that most mechanics are left a mystery at the start are also risks. Big ones in an industry that mostly seems to care about dramatic stories and over the top setpieces, in fact.

>This was obviously well accounted for as the marketing/advertising teams made sure to tell you just how hard the game was as a challenge.
No it wasn't, DeS wasn't marketed at all. It only got localized after a lot of people imported the asian version thanks to how different and interesting it looked. The game was a cult hit before it was ever marketed here.

That said, I don't think DeS can be considered a AAA game in terms of budget, so it's no surprise to me that the same rules don't apply.
>>
>>320459707
you missed the part where you mention
>advanced level design allowing emergent routes and game play
>hard mode which really takes the game to the next level (no runner vision and actually difficult enemies made for far more interesting and varied runs, the only problem is you have to finish the game once before playing hard mode)
>tight responsive controls in what is essentially a first person platformer (if you played any fps in the 90's you'd know that this is no mean feat)
>various chain moves and fighting abilities that aren't listed in any tutorial and have to be discovered by playing

I'm sure I'm missing a few things (obviously the art direction but that's already been mentioned) point being it is far more innovative and original than you give it credit for.
>>
>>320456852
You can do other things with your life besides just consuming entertainment
>>
>>320459460
Its Basicaly 3d tunnel run. There was nothing new about it if you think
>>
>>320460850
Yeah, gaming "language", or mechanics if you want, have largely stagnated. I think the fact that many games can now describe themselves by naming other games is a clear admission of that. I think DeS's async multiplay and PvE/P was probably the last game to bring something new to the table... or maybe super time force's single player co-op? Not sure about the release timing.
>>
>>320453437
I still occasionally enjoy a game /v/ and people of my age seem to hate. R6: Siege, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Battlefield 4, WoW, Garrys Mod are some that come to me off the top of my head. That retard in the OP is simply wrong because it is about what a person expects and what they like. The real issue is saminess and unwillingness to take risks, or taking too many risks. A good example is Star Wars Battlefront which tried way too hard to be not Battlefield it is terrible.
>>
>>320460923
The lack of explicit storytelling isn't nearly as uncommon as you're making it sound. Plenty of games also leave their mechanics to be discovered over time, but it's usually met with negative reviews because people are fucking stupid.
>>
You don't have to dig that far out of modern AAA gaming to find new and unique gaming experiences. He's acting like you have to find super niche titles to have a good time. He's probably an SF hipster who is focused on MUH FEELS and MUH IMMERSION walking simulators.

AA western games, Japanese games, handhelds and indies all offer some great gaming experiences that aren't the big E3 showstoppers. Picking up a "mediocre" title in the eyes of critics is a great way to find a decent game with unique ideas. In fact, you should stop listening to critics entirely and just play games for yourself and come to your own conclusions.
>>
>>320462096
>the problem is sameness
>for example, "game", which sucks, because it tries to be "not other game"
>>
>>320462608
Read the rest of my post faggot.
>The real issue is saminess and unwillingness to take risks, or taking too many risks
>or taking too many risks
>>
>>320462418
>He's probably an SF hipster who is focused on MUH FEELS and MUH IMMERSION walking simulators.
Except he's explicitly talking about the lack of innovation when it comes to gameplay. Better keep working on that "reading comprehension" thing.
>>
>>320462889
Not him but the new Battlefront didn't take any risks at all. It's a departure from the series but it's the same canned gameplay you'll get from any other recent shooter.
>>
Stopped reading when he said that games become a tool to pass the time. He's a retard that thinks he will find enlightenment in a game.
>>
>>320453437
>As we gamers grow older and wiser we realize more and more how bad some of the most beloved games in history actually are

Go fuck yourself with this pseudo-intellectual bullshit, this person has only become more whinier with age, not wiser. Ocarina of Time is just as great as the day I played it, same with many other games before 7th gen. The author clearly tries to lull you into his pleb taste by having you agree with the latter half. I have never seen something more pathetic than these "gaming journalists" trying to validate their intelligence with this I'm-so-introspective blogspot bullshit.

Gamers are not dead, old games are not dead, new games are not dead.

Video game journalism is dead. DEAD.
>>
>>320461489
You say that like 3D isn't a huge leap to make for such a game. Maybe you forgot how many IP's crashed and burned during the transition to 3D because devs just thought, "It'll be the same game, except 3D!"
>>
>>320463031
I second this, The problem with battlefront is that it isn't tied to a simplistic skinner box style upgrade system.
>>
>>320463031
I am more referring directly that it seems like they purposefully made it different from Battlefield, a good formula, and rather than branch from there with risks, they just said fuck it and made it CoD Style. The way they did it sucks. I could take a guess why. The next game is 2143 and they don't want to cannibalize there own game. Same reason HARDLINE was about fucking cops.
>>
>>320462918

"Gameplay" could just as easily mean those games, anon. "Brothers" had gameplay too, it was just shit.
>>
>>320461489
Holy shit, that massive leap in logic.
You can't be serious right?
>>
>>320463095
Protip: He's not a journalist he's just a poster on your favorite site
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.