[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a meme game? Why is it selling so well?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 10
File: Capture.jpg (106 KB, 955x572) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
106 KB, 955x572
Is this a meme game? Why is it selling so well?
>>
>>320438956
Early Access meme

perhaps people streaming it?
>>
>>320438956
It's the successor to Project Reality. If you're wondering what Squad is, there's your answer. It's Project Reality but in Unreal Engine 4.
>>
>>320438956

>50 vs 50

You have my attention.

>vehicle based combined arms gameplay, large scale environments, base building

You have my interest.
>>
>$40
>for an early access standalone that has a fraction of PR's content

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Maybe next year in a sale when it's $20 tops.
>>
I refuse to ever purchase another early access or pre-order or anything like that game ever again.

Fuck developers.
>>
I don't think you underage faggots know the meaning of the word meme.
>>
>>320438956
>Why is it selling so well

I'm guessing Twitch and Youtube shills.
>>
>>320438956
I fell for the Early Access meme with Killing Floor 2.
Never Again.
>>
>>320438956
Not to many- it's by a lot of the people behind the BF2 mod Project Reality. (Great Milsim with-out getting to autistic like ARMA) (Think ARMA and Insurgency had a baby)

>>320440895
>>320439676
>>320440723
>>320440734
>>320440874
Or probably because this is one of the few times that an early access game is going to be a good thing (Like Insurgency)
>>
>>320440965
>Or probably because this is one of the few times that an early access game is going to be a good thing

Go fuck yourself. If I want to play Project Reality I'll just play Project Reality.
>>
File: 1448523597842.jpg (26 KB, 338x338) Image search: [Google]
1448523597842.jpg
26 KB, 338x338
>early access
>>
>>320439676
1) It's not a meme game.

2) Hardly anybody streams it or knows what it is.

3) It's mostly popular with the BF2 and Arma 3 crowd, AKA Project Reality mod community. While it is an Early Access title, the devs have proven to be legit: they listen to the community constantly and they supported PR a lot even though they made it for free; they still continue to support the mod.

It's a really good milsim, basically.
>>
>>320438956
>Half-asscess
>>
File: 1449371976415.jpg (378 KB, 2500x1804) Image search: [Google]
1449371976415.jpg
378 KB, 2500x1804
>>320440965
I'm not a developer of this game, I swear
>>
>>320440458
Just play Arma 3. More refined and larger community
>>
>>320440965

Insurgency isn't early access

if it was, it hasn't been for a good while
>>
SQUUUUUUUUUUAD

SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD
>>
>>320440965
>Like Insurgency

People still play that shit? They were literally giving it away for free on Humble Bundle not that long ago.
>>
>>320441151
>Arma 3
>Refined
Pick 1 the Arma engine is the buggiest piece of trash i've ever played
>>
File: Matejko_Battle_of_Grunwald.jpg (1 MB, 2500x1112) Image search: [Google]
Matejko_Battle_of_Grunwald.jpg
1 MB, 2500x1112
>>320438956
I love ARMA but lately I dont have time for hours and hours of scenarios.
Im wondering if I should get Squad or JC3 for christmas.
Any advice?
>>
I like it. but why the fuck its store banner made in sfm?
>>
>>320441191
>Insurgency wasn't early access
But it was- and everyone said it was going to bomb but look at where it is now.

>>320441141
I just learned how to make webms today. Totally developer tier. (webm related)
>>
>>320441302

JC3 is trash
>>
>>320441302
Get Squad if you love Arma, mate. If you don't want to buy it yet, there's always Project Reality, and that's free.
>>
are there a lot of weapons in this game?
>>
>>320438956
because this game is to the starved armafags what a pizza would be to starved americans

literally a fun, responsive milsim that runs on an actual GAMING engine and not the travesty that is the bohemia arma engine (it sucks so much ass its unbelievable)
>>
>Look forward to Squad for a while
>Big PR player
>It comes out
>Uninformed kiddies on /v/ making threads about it

Hurts to see. Not buying it till it's out of EA
>>
Daily reminder

>Early Access
>TEN FOUR ALPHA BRAVO CHARLIE autismo cringe
>Devs stole sound files and other things from other games and claim that they own it - example : stolen Battlefield 3 sound effects
>>
>runs like shit on AMD processors
Fuck me.
>>
>>320441231
/thread
>>
>>320441302
Wait for Squad to get more stuff added. For $40 dollars it's not worth it, but I believe the devs don't really care about getting a fuck ton of sales, more like just getting more feedback and some funding. That and it's early access so they're basically just saying it's missing a lot of stuff.

Just get BF2 then Project Reality.
>>
>>320442518
Same.

>it's an EA title
>immediately gets shit on
>people pulling things out of their ass and assume it's a trendy stream game or something

I'm not buying it until they update it with vehicles at the least, but I think the devs have a very good track record to show they aren't just releasing a half-assed game. People should at least Google things first.
>>
>Early Access
ain't tricking me again
>>
>>320438956
I'll buy it for $15 once it's out of EA.
>>
>>320442692
project reality is stand alone now doofus
>>
I was so excited when I saw it released, and then when I saw it was selling well, I nearly shot myself. It literallyl will be a meme game now. They'll keep dumbing down things down to please the masses, and eventually, they'll just add a fucking zombie survival mode.
>>
>>320443292
Nah, they'll most likely allow people to mod it, which means somebody else will make that mode. Most PR admins are strict and kick anybody who doesn't play the game like a milsim so the community doesn't harbor too many retards.
>>
>>320441272
they don't really

there's the occasional server, but mostly it's full of casuals who play the bot co-op mode because they suck at fps games
>>
>>320443043
What the fuck when did this happen?
>>
>>320442596
>implying there are things that don't

baka desu senpai
>>
>>320443708
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f380-project-reality-news/134902-project-reality-bf2-v1-3-standalone-released.html

may
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1136x640
>>320438956
im really confused by the use of meme now, it started at some point not long ago with people calling undertale a meme game, and now it is just about everything is a meme.

is this how we know people are from
tumblr or something? Did meme go from in joke, to pictures, to just replacing the word "shit" ?
>>
>>320443962
games that anon doesn't like = meme game
>>
>>320443962
game you don't like=meme game
>>
>>320443962
in this thread at least it means a game that is only popular because it became popular on twitch

it's not the case for squad, it's the successor to project reality, people just like posting threads without doing research first
>>
>>320443962
Nice meme
>>
File: 1447713687359.jpg (42 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1447713687359.jpg
42 KB, 300x300
>>320443940
Well shit, thanks for informing me. Built a new computer a long while back but I was too lazy to download BF2 again so I never got to play PR again. This late news makes me happy.
>>
>>320441151
>Refined
If you count massive barriers to entry as refinement then yes.

>Mod packages out the ass
>PUB servers full of kids, streamfags and casuals
>active servers require job interviews to play on

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love arma, but not fucking way am I going back to it when I have this as an alternative.
>>
>>320443962
>it started at some point not long ago with people calling undertale a meme game

Want to know how I know you're new?
>>
The game is great and fun but the lag ruins it.

Most people don't even notice because the combat is so sparse. But it is legitimately like you are playing on 56k no matter where you play.

I don't know if the net code is fixable or what, but until they remedy that the game will be awful.

Also ignore the "UR PING DISPLAY IS WRONG" because these people are retarded and don't know what lag is.

The game is great, the concept is great, the lag is terrible and makes the game unplayable.

That is unless you want that old school nostalgic feel of playing on 56k.
>>
>>320442576
You got any proof about the stolen assets? Google isn't coming up with anything.
>>
>>320445373
tfw dont lag at all

am i the only fucking one without shit hardware and knows how to choose a proper server based on my location? holy fuck
>>
>>320445694
You are flagrantly lying and putting up strawmen about system lag and server location.

The latency, client server interpolation, is very bad. There is noticeable 200-300 millisecond delay in all actions. This makes combat especially frustrating in a game that has ballistics.

Again, fun game. Just get your fucking net code fixed. I hope that's possible.

Til then play PR to get a feel for what squad will become. The PR team made the best mod for BF2 and it is highly refined.

Squad is very laggy. I'm glad I supported the devs with the early access buy, but they need to get the net code hammered out immediately.
>>
>>320445991
there were no strawmen in what he posted

if you can give an example of what kind of delay we're talking about then people might listen, but nobody else has seemed to have this problem so far
>>
>>320440965
Insurgency is dogshit. Fuck off, shill.
>>
>>320443940
>>320444589
Yeah this was the best news from the squad threads. I didn't know PR was standalone. PR is like an updated BF2 with better graphics and animations huge maps and more realistic gameplay.

If PR is any indication of what squad will become, then squad will probably be one of the best shooters out there.
>>
>>320446334
also no players
>>
>>320445149
tell me how you know "meme game" was an oldfag term memelord
>>
>>320446372
i bought in to the alpha, and am unable to load the game now that it is on steam

hold off on declaring it one of the best shooters out there
>>
>>320446334
>>320446409
>he doesn't play the tactical modes
>the very modes that kick CSGO faggots the second they don't play seriously like trying to rush as the VIP

Everything else is a fucking joke. Tactical servers have the best players.
>>
>>320446554
you aren't even trying

clearly he was insinuating the term was around before undertale, and if you think that's when it originated you must be new here

you should have instead pointed out that missing content does not mean you have not been here before, only that you were not here during the time at which that content arose

if you're going to buy in to his asinine argument, at least make a convincing rebuttal, it makes it look like you're actually invested in the conversation and not just shitposting like i am
>>
>>320445991
shit hardware and joined shit server confirmed.

the only issue i have come across is the server shitting itself, but thats just because it has too many slots for the hardware it has

also invisible enemies. What is with that bug
>>
>>320438956
So it's Renegade X, but you have to pay for it?
>>
>>320446781
hahahahahaha

you actually believe this don't you

"tactical servers attract good players"

sugoi monogatari onii-chan
>>
>>320445991
> they need to get the net code hammered out immediately.

ugh, why do devs keep doing this? Good concept, fun game, then they put it out with gamebreaking shit and by the time they fix it no one will give a damn. Seen it a hundred times.
>>
>>320446904
>attract good players

No, just that most people in those servers kick shit players because it's easy to fuck up and lose the round. There's only a handful of servers that do that and those are the only ones worth playing, you stupid gook.
>>
>>320441151
ArmA 3 is only worth playing if you have a community that owns a server and runs its own missions. The Pub PVP scene is absolute shit if you don't want something that's wasteland/battle royale/altislife or whatever. Not to mention performance is absolute garbage. I get slightly better performance in the unoptimised Squad alpha than ArmA 3 2 years after release. Bohemia still can't into multi core processing
>>
>>320441416
This seems fluid.
>>
>>320446372
The only thing holding PR back is the limitations of the BF2 engine, which is what Squad is aiming to fix.
>>
>>320446792
Again, the same straw man.

My hardware is fine and I get 50-60 fps consistently. No matter what server or where it is located I join I have 200-300 ping. I have had hundreds of close combat encounters and the lag is very noticeable.

>>320446251
"Latency is a time interval between the stimulation and response, or, from a more general point of view, as a time delay between the cause and the effect of some physical change in the system being observed."

"give an example of what kind of delay we're talking about"

When I shoot at someone point blank there is a delay between firing and shots registering in the ballpark of about 2-300 milliseconds, which is typically what my ping is in any given server from LA, to dallas, to chicago, to germany.

This is "lag".

Feigning ignorance doesn't make the lag go away and it's disingenuous to prospective buyers. The developers should be open and honest about issues with the net code and explain the progress they are making in fixing lag.

The game experiences lag equivalent to playing on a 56k dial up connection in 1999.

Great game, but the net code is out of order.

>>320447002
Hopefully the net code is fixable. I would be dismayed if they released it into early access and had no idea how to fix the net code and intended to cash out.
>>
>>320440442
Is it easy to get into? Do I need Friends to play it or can I join random matches?
>>
>>320440965

>with-out getting to autistic like ARMA

people either want realism and play ARMA, or they want to be a casual arcade shooter faggot and play everything else
>>
>>320447436
Hopefully with the money and publicity from early access sales they can find someone with the knowledge to fix the lag issues.
>>
>>320447436
desu sounds like you got outskilled and are not butthurt

its alright chill homie
also my names not straw
>>
>>320447573
you need to communicate with a mic
>>
>>320447573
You can play alone but you have to find a squad that is talking and trying to work together.

The flags are all very spread out and far away from your main spawn area, so squad leaders with 2 other members have to go somewhere to make a spawn point that your team can use. You can only make a spawn if you have 3 people together, one of them as the squad leader class.

If you don't have people working together then you won't be able to win because your team will spawn a kilometers walk away from the front line and the enemy will probably destroy you as you come through choke points.

So if you can just get 2 other people to go with you and setup spawns in inconspicuous places around the perimeter you will give your team a huge advantage.

Playing with a squad is literally the name of the game. It will mostly be your squad looking for an enemy squad and trying to find out where their spawns are placed then camping or destroying their spawns.

>>320447882
Stop trying to deflect from the fact that the net code is broken. You are a shill.
>>
>>320448392
im as much of a shill as you are

I have not had any of these issues, nor has any of my squad i roll with. therefore it must be a YOU problem.

keep typing btw :^)
>>
I've been playing it the last few days, for an alpha it ported over most of the good things from PR without being limited to the BF2 engine.

The player base seems pretty decent. Everyone talks in most squads and are coordinated, most of the squad leaders tend to be PR vets that lead them well. I'm looking forward to the next few months to see what's in store for them game.
>>
>>320448578
Either you and your SQUADâ„¢ are ignoring the lag or you are flagrantly lying.
>>
>be squad leader
>maneuvering squad for max security
>12 year olds and his 34 year old dad/boyfriend join
>starts screaming to build a fob immedietely
>tell him a fob is already nearby
>starts screaming to place a rally point
>place it since i anticipate contact within 500 meters anyway and to shut him the fuck up
>get in contact 500 meters away
>he runs in telling my squad to follow
>they all follow and get mowed down
>i'm alone
>he spawns in and immediately starts screaming why does he have to walk 500 meters
>dies again
>starts berating the squad
>older guy trying to calm him down
>they both spawn at fob
>start complaining that the fob has turtled up on the point
>they break a barrier
>let in russians
>other squads are killed
>russians take the point

tl;dr
Much like PR, the playerbase is gonna go to complete shit with each major release/patch. Best time to play is when the kiddies get bored of it.
>>
>>320448895
why would i be lying? i dont really have anything to gain here. im just saying i didnt have those issues

also if i was a shill this would hardly be worth it

posters:48

top kek
>>
>>320441416
>this is what passes for a good game these days
>>
Got 16 hours into so far. Its okay. If $40 is a lot for you, don't buy into it. Wait for further development. Gunplay is pretty meh. Best thing is squad/team coordination. It gets boring if comms are silent and everyone is off doing their own thing.
>>
>Solutions and lag compensation
"One potential "solution" is to simply ignore the problem. For hit detection in first-person shooters this means leading one's target, aiming at the position where it will be by the time the shot reaches the server. With variable latency this may be frustrating even under ideal conditions; with higher latency and random player movement it can make playing virtually impossible. For example, if a remote player passes by a window in a period shorter than the client's latency it will be impossible for the local player to hit them even if they fire immediately."

>>320449092
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBcjZAKBJo
>why would i be lying?
>if i was a shill

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?93064-Many-Multiplayer-bugs-have-surfaced-in-4-10-Netcode-Hardening-Pass-in-4-11-4-12

>I find myself fighting issues purely because engine code hasn't been fully tested in a Multiplayer environment, and having to come up with some pretty significant workarounds.

Hopefully the squad team can get a good net code working. It could be a great game. The concept is really solid, but the gunplay is marred by lag.
>>
>>320441297
you've never played a bethesda game? huh
>>
English is not my first language but I can understand it pretty well, I just get nervous when I speak it. I do not have an accent, but I obviously do not sound like a typical English Speaker.

Should I even try to get into these games, I just love these sort of games, I play them with text chat, and voice chat on, but I can see how text chat could get in the way. I am considering getting a good mic for Siege, Arma and America's Army.
>>
There's no point in buying games anymore when they are 10 dollars within 6 months of release.

And also there is no point in buying Squad since it doesn't have a fraction of content PR had

>support da devz with ur money derp
>>
>>320441058
This. What the fuck, why is this even a discussion?
>>
>>320441032
Nigger the engine is over a decade old at this point, PR is still a good mod but the engine started showing it's age years ago and they've hit the point where there's not much more they can do with it.
>>
i want to buy this should i wait.

are there russians yet?
>>
I really don't see the problem people are having with it, they said it was going to be on early access back when it was announced and it may actually benefit from it. If you're skeptical about it, just don't fucking buy it you dipshit.
>>
File: devs.png (558 KB, 919x629) Image search: [Google]
devs.png
558 KB, 919x629
>>320452518
>>320452553
Pretty much this
>support da devz with ur money derp
and hope it doesn't turn out like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGg5rfBfWT4
>>
>>320449460
please, do tell us: what exactly is wrong with it?
>>
>>320452518
>And also there is no point in buying Squad since it doesn't have a fraction of content PR had

Maye since it's Early Access and they haven't added everything yet? Nobody is telling you to buy this game thinking the game is complete. The only reasoning behind it is if you trust the PR guys and want to give them money early, go for it. Mostly everybody says wait for more content.
>>
>>320453009
If there is any most english servers will kick them quickly. PR is very communication based, the same will be with Squad. You can't lone wolf it unless you join a server that gives no fucks, but then why play PR/Squad in the first place then?
>>
>>320453621
no i mean can you play as russians yet
>>
>>320452518
>it doesn't have a fraction of content PR had
No shit sherlock, PR is a mod for an already completed game and has been in development since 2005, Squad started development a year ago with minimal funding, it wasn't until earlier this year that they got actual funding.
>>
>>320453621
A lot of people have been complaining that no one talks.
>>
>>320441151
It runs on the shittiest game engine known to man though.
>>
>>320438956
>Realism.
I call bullshit unless this game bricks your computer when you get killed.
>>
>>320453323
UE4 and big games in general have a low tick rate. This makes the combat laggy, unresponsive, and unrewarding due to the randomness involved. Did you shoot as the server was updating or do you have to wait for the next cycle of updates from the server? This is effectively artificial latency caused by the low tick rate. This can mean the difference between life and death.

Large scale games with more players typically have lower tick rates otherwise no one would have servers capable of running the game, smaller scale games and arena games have higher tick rates and this allows for more responsive gameplay.

UE4 is particularly bad when it comes to client server relations.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?93064-Many-Multiplayer-bugs-have-surfaced-in-4-10-Netcode-Hardening-Pass-in-4-11-4-12

Fun game, but it's pointless and frustrating with a low tick rate and a shitty net code.
>>
>>320454384
That webm is of Insurgency.
>>
Is this like a smaller Planetside 2 minus space?

If so, why pay anything for this game at all.
>>
>>320454683
It's nothing like Planetside 2.
>>
>>320454679

probably complaining it's too fast despite the player only pulling it off since he's playing with retards or bots.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.