[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should every part of a game be skippable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 17
File: 1444865103261.jpg (19 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1444865103261.jpg
19 KB, 320x180
Should every part of a game be skippable?
>>
the buying part should be skippable at least, i dont give a shit about the rest.
>>
>>320424586

Providing the player more ways in which to enjoy the game's content seems pretty logical, sure.

People have been uploading [insert videogame]: The Movie for years to YouTube anyway.
>>
I dont see how that would work in an RPG.
>>
Only if I get mad cheevos for not skipping anything.
>>
No.

If you can't beat the content before you don't deserve the content afterward.

That's like demanding your paycheck when you've put in 0 hours of work.
>>
>>320426280
You end up with something like Mass Effect 3 where you begin a mission with a cutscene, shoot your way down a corridor to another, then shoot your way down a 2nd corridor to the final cutscene before ending the mission.

It exists in a world where gameplay and story are completely segregated.
>>
File: john bain.jpg (95 KB, 548x386) Image search: [Google]
john bain.jpg
95 KB, 548x386
>>320424586
I thought totalbiscuit was retarded but this is a new low.
>>
File: 1381875627948.jpg (215 KB, 1199x1200) Image search: [Google]
1381875627948.jpg
215 KB, 1199x1200
"interactive" cutscenes should be skippable
>>
>>320424586
Too bad the rest of his life is being forcibly skipped.
>>
>>320424586
Sure, I don't really care.
I wouldn't use it but if someone does then they can do so.
>>
How it should be in a perfect vidya:

Press Start

Game pauses and menu pops up with save/load/settings

press F to skip cutscene.

Also company intro logos should be skippable.

>tfw you can't skip the publisher, but you can skip the developers

If you can't skip your shitty company intro, at least have the game loading data in the background.
>>
>>320424586
>every part
No.
Just have an easy mode to catter to casuals
If you can't even be bothered to play honestly just watch the cutscenes on youtube.
By the way ingame cutscenes should always be skippable though.
>>
yes

reason: the start area in fallout 2

same for fallout 3 and 4 though that shit drags on way to long than it needs to
>>
>>320426656
But one is a leisure activity and the other is work.
>>
File: mig502Cfpl1s0qwlko1_500.gif (558 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
mig502Cfpl1s0qwlko1_500.gif
558 KB, 500x375
>>320427316
How else do you expect shit devs to pad out the game? Actual gameplay?
>>
>>320424586
What would the point of even playing be, then?
>>
Also the new platinum transformers has got it right.

It'll play a short scene for the story, but you can choose to skip it for game play because
>giving a shit about the story in a transformers video game
>>
Yeah, why not? Doesn't bother me how people enjoy their single player games. Just because people use mods, cheats or play on easy, doesn't mean that triggers me, so sure.
>>
For games where each level is self-contained then it's fine. It wouldn't work for something like an RPG (how???).

I think it's okay. It's a great option for the game several years down the line where the person playing it with no save data has probably already beaten it. If I were them I would make it a hidden option that is easy to unlock.

Too bad the singleplayer for CoD12 doesn't have cheats like CoD4.

>>320426656
But the paycheck isn't money and you can receive it online too.
>>
>>320427621
Platinum did that for MGR too, I finished it without having a clue what was going on
>>
>>320424586
Yes.

Just because a person is a bad player does not mean they should be punished by being locked out of the rest of the game.
>>
>>320427205
Hey! Those people were playing the game for it's story only. That is a reasonable opinion.
>>
>>320427456
>Also company intro logos should be skippable.

Sometimes that plays while the game is loading.
>>
File: 1421549719561.jpg (22 KB, 476x356) Image search: [Google]
1421549719561.jpg
22 KB, 476x356
>>320427205
>even if you're a player who only enjoys the dialogue

Don't these people know that there are these awesome things that fit their criteria perfectly called "movies" and that they've been around for over a century?
>>
>>320427929
But movies are not interactive, a game is.
>>
>>320427764
or you can simply just watch the rest of the game on youtube

theres really no point to sperg on skippable gameplay because the alternatives are "worse" than being being able to skip the gameplay
>>
>>320428136
But these people don't want interaction.
>>
depends
games used to have cheat codes so you can skip levels
I wouldn't mind them putting in cheat codes like that in single player games, as long as it's clear to the player that it's a cheat code and not part of the actual game to just skip whatever you want, and don't sell this to the players for real money either.... if you want them to be able to skip content, let them skip it for free and don't go full jewmode... like World of Warcraft
>>
>>320428136
Not if youre going to skip all the interactive parts.
>>
>>320427708

Except for all those times where they were in-game fucking cutscenes and you couldn't skip all the annoying story shit

Why not make it like DMC or NG where you don't have retarded crap constantly interrupting your gameplay?
>>
>>320428228
Why should a person have to use youtube just to be able to fully enjoy a game they paid for? Locking the player out just because they have trouble playing and forcing them to use a third party service such as youtube just to see the rest of the game they rightfully payed for is just bad game design.
>>
>Calls his show Cynical Brit
>Spends most of it vehemently defending things and companies that don't need nor deserve defending instead of shitting on everything

Why
>>
>>320428774
>Why should a person have to use youtube just to be able to fully enjoy a game they paid for?
then learn to play
>>
>>320428843

$$$
>>
>>320428774
Then they need to git gud. Life isn't going to give them shit on a silver platter.
>>
>>320427875
>playing a game for the story
Might as well read a book instead.
>>
>>320428774
Buying a game is like buying a puzzle. You spend money to waste time and challenge yourself. You don't get buttfrustrated halfway through and say "I paid for this I shouldn't have to figure it out myself"
>>
>>320428774
Wow anon maybe video games arnt for you then.
>>
Didn't he used to champion difficulty?
>>
>>320424586
Did that fag really say that?

Might as well not buy the game if I want to skip a part
>>
>>320427205
>just as fat
>just as ugly
>both SJWs
>both spout dumbshit ideas like this one

have you ever seen the two of them in the same room..?
>>
Why not skip straight to the ending? The most instant win. The most instant gratification. Because the point of the experience is to fully enjoy it. If you're skipping parts, you're simply missing out.
>>
I don't really care as long as it doesn't affect my game experience. What are some bad examples of this? The segregation of ME3's gameplay and story mentioned in >>320426953 is one.
>>
>>320429183
ok?
do you get pissed when people pull stickers off of rubix cubes too?
its their money, let them enjoy whatever they buy however they want
>>
File: 1442319949970.jpg (47 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1442319949970.jpg
47 KB, 500x667
If you could skip hard sections, games could go back to being difficult again
>>
>>320427205
The game should force you to see cutscenes and even lines from dialogue menus the first time around, then let you skip.
>>
File: 1421891998257.png (748 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
1421891998257.png
748 KB, 1300x1300
>Game has an easy mode
>It removes literally everything - even cutscenes - and turns the game into a hallway.
>>
You can already skip every part of a game. It's called not playing it.
>>
>>320424586
Well considering that many developers are already skipping the development of gameplay all together, I don't see what harm would content skipping do.
>>
If it's like dark souls then sure, only thing you gotta really do is fight the bosses.
>>
More player choice is good as long as the quality of the whole thing isn't lowered by it, so yeah i guess
>>
>>320429509
I will. You can do the same by not asking for skippable content.
>>
>>320428843
He's Cynical of your opinions anon.
>>
>>320427205
That is fucking stupid. So what he's saying is that developers should cut out the game from their games to appeal to people who were too dumb to realize they bought a game instead of a movie or book.
>>
File: 1449014249068.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1449014249068.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>320427456
>perfect vidya
>save/load
>>
>>320424586
Padding can be skipped. Leave the essential difficulty points in and once you complete one trivial encounter, have the option of not engaging in the rest of them. Notable example: Yakuza 1, SMT games aka games where there's tons of fights you cannot lose but without them game would last 3-4 hours.
>>
I actually wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as it wasn't paywalled bullshit.
>>
>>320428774
>just to be able to fully enjoy a game they paid for
lets ignore the "git gud" conversation for a second and talk about another thing

its an alternative never bad game design because theres not really that much people that are willing to go that time investment to see everything

take nier for example, one of the endings DELETE your save files
>>
>>320424586
Yes. If there's levels or episodes or something there's no reason to hold them from players. Maybe somebody beat the game earlier and thinks the starting levels are boring.

There's also no reason to skip the early levels if you're playing for the first time. You'd just be skipping the content you paid for which would be stupid.
>>
>>320429839
But that's just bad game design. May as well tell them to just not make a shitty game in the first place.
>>
>>320426656
>>320427703
Funny because I would never skip segregated leveks, but would want to skip the fuck out if some boring RPG leveling and quests to get to an interesting boss battle. RPGs have some of the most brain numbing filler content it's not worth mashing X so you can see the event everyone is going crazy for.
>>
Why even play the game at all? Why not just tell everyone you finished it and then complain it wasn't up to your standards and it was made for casuals?
>>
>>320424586
Gues when you die cause of cancer every second counts
>>
>>320426656
You're saying like games are about work and not personal entertainment

>>320430028
so why not have the option there?

>>320430036
see >>320429990
>>
>>320429990
Except when starting areas are fucking boring pieces of shit. I bought the game to play a game not go back be preschool.
>>
>>320424586
I am shit at video games. I get stuck, then try again and again and again to beat a section. If there was a "skip" option, i would give in after a few attempts because i feel like i will never be able to beat it. How is somebody supposed to improve with an option of "fuck that. Just skip that section".

Video games require a challenge.
>>
No.
>>
>>320430331
Which is why you should be able to skip anything you don't get enjoyment of. If you skip because of difficulty it will only get harder so that's not a valid point to disallow skipping.
>>
>>320427456

>press F to skip cutscene

Then how do you pay respects? Checkmate.
>>
>>320429509
It'd be more like if rubix cubes started to have buttons on them that autosolved the puzzle
>>
>>320430395
Let me guess, you are fat too because you have zero self-discipline?
>>
>>320430001
Those games aren't shitty, it's just that not everyone wants to sink that amount of time and anyway it's a pretty inane question, tons of people like padding, games need not be accomodating and you should not be giving traffic to pundits.
>>
>>320424586

Yes I have my wife's son to take care of. I just want the get the good bits so I can discuss it on social media.
>>
I think it's about time games offered the option to skip triggering content.
>>
>>320430686
>google how 2 solve rubix cube
>type in what colors are on what face
>follow directions

wow an auto solving button would be pure evil ugh

and actually an auto solving/scrambling button would be nice for rubix cubes in a completely different way, there are lots of limited number of move challenges you can do from a specific setup. you cant really do that kind of stuff with a real rubix cube unless it has a way to automatically reformat itself
>>
>>320426953
Cool kinda like The Witcher 3
>>
>>320430969
Literally what people could do for videogames
Unless they were that lacking in motor control/ that steep of a jump in difficulty
>>
File: angel of deaf.png (160 KB, 688x343) Image search: [Google]
angel of deaf.png
160 KB, 688x343
>>320431223
>>
>>320430731
If parts of a game are considered trivial and frivolous by the collective majority, especially to the point of wanting a skip option, then there needs to be a reevaluation of the game itself.

>>320430969
Bigger point is, why is this person purchasing the Rubik's cube to begin with if they have no interest in its inherent or intended purpose. And then go on to bitch about how they should include an auto solving option for said product.
>>
>>320430686
what if you already know how solve the rubix cube
is there really a point to go through puzzle the second time?

only maybe if they have incentives, like RE3 which had optional puzzles that gave you more ammo
>>
>>320424586
Well it's not new.

Those Galaxy games had the auto-complete option if you failed too many times, the equivalent in a bunch of other games, and then there's shit like the chapter select in a bunch of games.

I'd be interested to see how it pans out, on the other the last thing I want to do is to enable 30-year old bloggers who hate games to continue their shitty ways.
>>
>>320431432
who gives a fuck about collective majority you dingus
>>
>>320431340
The Witcher 3 had a story mode as well which is good for gamers like me who have a life.
>>
>>320431432
Okay wise guy, do you also think cutscenes shouldn't be skippable? Because that can be exactly the same thing as boring first levels of a game.
>>
>>320431593
Are you memeing or something?
>>
>>320424586
achievements should be skippable
oy vey
>>
File: smash.png (24 KB, 728x90) Image search: [Google]
smash.png
24 KB, 728x90
>option to skip content you don't want to play through
>more options are bad now apparently
>only reasons given are "git gud"

I really wish the people who posted on every popular video game forum or image board died. Right now. The world would instantly become a better place for everyone.
>>
>>320431725
Did you not play The Witcher 3
>>
>skip a chapter in a book
>'This shit doesnt make any fucking sense.'

And thats how video games became movies.
>>
>>320431490
Rubik's cube would benefit from achievements. Rotate the cube a thousand times, solve the puzzle in one minute, solve the puzzle one hundred times etc. The possibilities are endless.
>>
If a game doesn't challenge the player then it is not a good game.

If you're a casual and don't have the skills or time to get better then go watch a LP and save yourself time, money and frustration if all you want is to skip content to further an amateur videogame plot.
>>
>>320431623
Sure. If a game is so heavily reliant on cutscenes that it becomes a point of frustration then maybe it's just a shitty game.
>>
>>320424586
Sure, but be sure to skip making the game at all, because it would be shit.
>>
>>320431835
but you would die too. and me. we both dislike the git gud faggots.
>>
>>320432010
Or maybe there's just no rational reason you shouldn't go to any part of the game you just bought to enjoy?

>hmm I don't like the filling in these cookies so much
>GIT GUD HAHAHA JUST EAT IT ALL WHY SHOULD YOU BE ABLE TO TAKE IT OFF
>>
File: 1436090113379.jpg (88 KB, 680x759) Image search: [Google]
1436090113379.jpg
88 KB, 680x759
>>320431923
More like:
>buy a book
>skip a chapter
>"OMG HOW DARE YOU SKIP A CHAPTER OF A BOOK! HOW DARE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY AND TIME DOING WHAT YOU WANT!! HOW DARE YOU ACT IN A WAY I WOULDN'T AGREE WITH! REEEEEEE!!!"
>>
>>320432457
>re-reading book
>oh I remember this part
>skip it
>"OMG HOW DARE YOU SKIP A CHAPTER OF A BOOK! HOW DARE YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY AND TIME DOING WHAT YOU WANT!! HOW DARE YOU ACT IN A WAY I WOULDN'T AGREE WITH! REEEEEEE!!!"
>>
>>320424586
Games should have cheat codes that unlock level select
>>
Instant gratification is lame as fuck.

If you aren't prepared to enjoy something in its entirety you shouldn't be buying it to begin with.

In my opinion.
>>
>>320424586
>Play rpg
>having trouble fighting a particular boss
>after many deaths an npc appears near the boss room
>you can pay him to kill the boss for you for a price but you get zero exp/items for it
>even works for the final boss
The npc is the true final boss
>>
>>320432167
Because, just like the Rubik's cube, that's not the point of the product.
>why can't it autosolve itself to the very last turn, cause that's the part I like.
>>
Maybe y'all should stick to VRs if you only want dialogue. Asking a fighting game to make fighting skippable is just never going to work purely because the percentage of people that want this are insignificant.
>>
>>320432816
Rubik's cube makers would sell a self solving cube if they knew they could make profit off of it.
>>
>>320432816
Most people don't solve the rubik's cube on their own, I consider that kinda lame but I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to watch the solutions online

Can't you come up with anything better than "it's not the point of the product"? It doesn't even matter what its point is. If you like to use the cube as a dildo, nobody is stopping you.
>>
what if I not only want to skip the dialogue but also the combat ? There should be an option where I can just explore the gameworld on my own without any distractions. I just wanna explore and loot and not get distracted by opponennts that need level 99 to be killed or some shit. horrible game design.
>>
>>320429536
Was just thinking this. If they started making it so games wouldn't hold your hand anymore, but allowed you to skip ahead if you wanted to, would anybody really care?
>>
>>320424586
No, that's retarded.
Games just shouldn't be like Final Fantasy 13, where it takes 20 hours to get good
>>
>>320424586
When certain parts of a game become "skipable" that means progress in order is not needed to beat the last level, right?

Games like Dark Souls where progression and leveling up is part of the core experience would suffer from that type of design.

Mario-like games? Sure.
Games with leveling up system? No
>>
>>320424586

To some extent; however in some cases one persons joy of some content can be predicated on the fact that other players cannot beat it, by the methodology of comparison.

For example, the fact that I beat the hardest raid boss in a MMO and got some cool item, is mostly enjoyable for a player because of the fact that other people have not done it.

If we were to instead allow others to get that item (content) by skipping the raid entirely, then that has in fact lessened a persons enjoyment of the game, because the comparison between the parties can no longer be made.

Even when not considering multiplayer games I fully believe that argument can be made that some people enjoy things because of the fact that others cannot do them, by the methodology of comparison. Therefore allowing people to skip content directly limits the amount of enjoyment a person has with a game.

Now of course this isn't the case with all games, like a story driven game; however I think it is worth considering the selfish reality that some people enjoy things simply because others cannot do them.
>>
>>320427205
Why does nobody realize that Hamburger Helper is absolutely correct? Most AAA titles aren't really games, they're more like fantasy sims or virtual novels. The point of a game is to play it; the point of a sim is to experience it. It makes perfect sense to be able to skip gameplay in a sim, since gameplay is secondary to its other qualities. Conversely, it rarely makes sense to skip gameplay of a game, because if a player doesn't playing a game there's nothing else there to like that makes it worth booting up.
>>
That's like saying all of your pokemon should be lvl 100 at the beginning of the game.

Why would you buy the game if you just want to skip all the content?
These games aren't even difficult to begin with
>>
>>320434027
Nope, it's saying more like you should be able to enter elite 4 with pre-made default team if you like. At which point you'll probably lose horribly and go back to the start where you are supposed to be. If you do beat them well congraz, this is the hardest fight you were gonna have.
>>
File: 1384319882193.jpg (98 KB, 850x565) Image search: [Google]
1384319882193.jpg
98 KB, 850x565
>>320424586
Optional content has been in videogames for almost ever
A button to choose to skip content is the same concept only done less gracefully as it breaks the 4th wall
Is this guy some kind of mongol?
>>
>>320433015
>>320433071
Well now you're turning the discussion into corporate business decisions. Most certainly game companies should cater to these people. Game companies should implement massively intrusive DRM, and nickle and dime customers for every penny they have through DLC. From a corporate perspective, yeah, companies should do anything to make just that one penny more.

My argument is towards the consumers that are asking for this. Why even engage in the medium if you aren't interested in its core aspect. Why buy the Rubiks cube if you don't even want the challenge of learning/figuring out how to solve it? Yeah, fuck it, who cares why they buy it. More power to them if they're just buying it to stick it up their ass. But I guess the same can be said of a video game too. If you want to buy a video game just to see if you can fit this disc up your rectum, then whatever. Fine. But don't buy it then complain that the developers didn't make the disc small enough to fit up your bum. That wasn't the point of the product.

But again, sure, from corporate perspective if there's large enough demand from people wanting to put video game discs up their butthole, then sure.. I guess they should go ahead and make the discs smaller. I think they should tell those people to fuck off and just go buy products specifically intendend for that sort of thing.
>>
Why not? if people want to gimp their own enjoyment of something they should full right to do so, they paid for the product and It doesn't affect my ability to enjoy it.

Honestly, it feels like you guys must have tumblr accounts to find this kind of retardation in the first place, I've never gone there and my full knowledge of tumblr comes from angry /v/irgins and /pol/lacks bringing back images.
>>
>>320434945
Again, skipping dialog OR combat on a second playthrough is perfectly ok. Sure some lazy fuck might use it on his first playthrough but that's his problem. Why should the feature be removed because of that guy?
>>
>>320434945
I think you're overestimating people too much. People can and will complain about anything even if it isn't an issue. Even if everything is good people will find something to complain about.

If skipping content doesn't take a lot of development time and is profitable, why wouldn't you do it? "Spirit of the medium" isn't a good excuse especially when the only devs who can stay true to it are indie devs who don't have to answer to publishers or investors.
>>
>>320432742
That's pretty good.

I like when you have to choose between doing the right thing and the easy thing. Like when you run out of continues in Maldita Castilla and it lets you keep going at the cost of your mortal soul, changing the ending to match. I mean, lots of games fuck you if you continue but the little skeleton cherub floating down and telling you what the stakes are really makes it work.

I was thinking of making a game where you can only get heart containers by taking 'em out of your allies' chests. Because having a huge fucking health pool leads to the worst sort of sloppy, unexciting play, why not have the story go to hell hand in hand? Be the get good you want to see in the world.

Like what Mega Man Zero was trying for with the Cyber-Elves, only not fucked up by making them useless when you're not downing them like E-tanks. At least have the fuckers float around the resistance base or something, come on.
>>
Many older games use to have level selects and if you wanted you could put in cheat codes to unlock them all. I don't really see why people are so opposed to the idea of skipping content when it actually existed in the past.
>>
>>320424732
but anon it already is skippable
>>
>>320437180
not every game had such cheat codes, and it shouldn't become a standard that every stage right from the get-go is skippable
>>
>>320425248
No. Retards skip things and then act like it's that things fault they are lost or suddenly can't do it. Skipping concept goes against the entire idea of a skill curve. The only way this should be acceptable is if you already beat something.
>>
>>320432731
Padding is lame as fuck.

If you aren't prepared to design something engaging in its entirety you shouldn't be making games to begin with.
>>
Considering I've played Bloodborne to completion multiple times and Father Gascoigne fucks me over more than anyone else in the game, yes, I never wanna fight that faggot again.
>>
Pain and hardships are essential parts of life. Games should teach that.
>>
>>320430239
Games should provide a challenge, not just mindless brain stimulation.
>>
If you don't want to experience the game they why bother playing it?
>>
problem with content skipping is that eventually it'll lead to people skipping half the game, then being disappointed in the game because they skipped half of it and giving it a bad and completely undeserved reputation
>>
Sure skip straight to the end why should give a shit on how others play their game? that's their money being wasted not mine
>>
>>320424586
If someone wants to spend good money on a game and then skip through most of it then by all means go ahead. Its stupid as shit, but theres nothing morally objectionable about it.

And as a nice little bonus id be able to skip the one or 2 moments in every game that i just dont want to deal with for whatever reason, not to mention making subsequent playthroughs more enjoyable.

Only bad thing i can think of is faggots saying they have beaten a game when they didnt really, but people already say stupid shit about games they havent really played so that would just be par for the course.
>>
I would never use such a feature because it feels like cheating yourself out of the experience but I have no problem with it existing. It's kinda like the Master Key in Dark Souls, you could take that and just skip big chunks of the game, but I never do it.

It really doesn't concern me how other people choose to play their video games.
>>
File: gip.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
gip.gif
2 MB, 300x169
>>320443339
The question is, does that make it a bad game?I think the video argued that it does not.

I personally want to question why would a designer want people to skip content they worked hard to create in the first place.
>>
>total shistick wants to skip content so who can finish more games before he dies

whoa so shocking
>>
>>320424586
if I can just skip stuff there won't be a fucking thing forcing me to play easymode. what's the satisfaction in skipping every hard part of a game? It'll grow old so fast.
>>
Sure why not, I'll start by just skipping the games entirely. I'll save more money.
>>
>>320443667
>The question is, does that make it a bad game?I think the video argued that it does not.
i don't think it does either, sorry if my post didn't convey that properly.

>I personally want to question why would a designer want people to skip content they worked hard to create in the first place.
im sure they want people to play through it, but more than that im sure they want people to enjoy their experiences with a game.

hell, if anything this may open the door to harder games. casuals can die a few times and skip the fight while those of us who like a challenge can push through. Idk if it would actually work out like that in practice but its a nice idea
>>
>>320424586
It's not an inherently bad idea but I fear it will encourage devs to be lazier with level design, even more than they are now. Why spend time and money painstakingly crafting every level to have a good balance between flow and challenge when you can just let players skip your formulaic regurgitated shit?
>>
>>320424586
My favorite games are the ones that let me view the credits right from the main menu so I can skip all the bullshit and be done already.
>>
>>320443667

Generally they don't, that's why so many big-budget games are so railroaded. They want to make sure players see absolutely EVERYTHING that they put in the time and money to create. But in the case of Black Ops 3, which started the whole conversation, they're also well aware that most of their fans don't give a flying fuck about the singleplayer anyway.

That aside, pretty much the first thing you learn in design (games or otherwise) is to design for the audience first, not the designer. If you had reason to think that some of your audience would have a better experience given the ability to skip parts of the game, then as a good designer you would give them the option, even if it felt shitty to have people skip over things you worked hard on.

Admittedly that's not how it really works most of the time in practice.
>>
File: 1413308686368.png (1 MB, 739x1024) Image search: [Google]
1413308686368.png
1 MB, 739x1024
People who skip cut scenes the first play through are scum.
People who "Don't care about story" are usually knukledraggers with a health problem who cant be bothered to care about anything but the next time they wrap their hand around their dicks and cum.
>>
>>320424586
Can I skip the part in Starcraft where I have to outplay my opponent and go straight to the victory?
>>
If you're skipping content you may as well skip all the content, look up the ending on youtube and play something else.

If it's your second playthrough do whatever the fuck you want though.
>>
Yeah, because I love watching stupid fuckers waster their money.

There are people who played Mass Effect 3 through the "Story" mode.
>>
>>320424586
Skipping logos should be.

PC gaming is better simply because I can delete those files. Go fuck yourself, Ubisoft. Go fuck yourself, Nvidia.
>>
File: 1369290456494.png (90 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
1369290456494.png
90 KB, 300x240
>>320424586

I don't see what the point is. Thats like buying books and skipping chapters until you reach the end or buying 7 layer dip and eating only the topmost layer. What every game should have are skippable cut scenes that skip the ENTIRE scene not just portions, in game too, just straight to gameplay
>>
File: 1396153936842.gif (942 KB, 253x216) Image search: [Google]
1396153936842.gif
942 KB, 253x216
>>320444830
>>
>>320424586
But why play video games then.
>>
>>320447332
we live in an age where people who work on videogames don't play videogames
>>
>>320431593
I know this is bait but I fucking hate people who this logic

>lose against someone in a game
>"y-yeah atleast I have a life!!"
>>
>>320427323
>tfw he sounds sick again

:(
>>
then those people that skip through the games are going to talk shit like
>not understanding the story
>wow this game was easy
>thats it?
>>
>>320449829
:)
>>
if it's just some mindless rooty tooty shooty?

sure, give them the option to skip the content. make all that shit into Hat Fortress 2: no story, no singleplayer, online BOOM HEADSHOTS and selling knife skins for $500 only.

or, if it's an MMORPG, and the scene was cool--once, but the dev expects you to play that content over 9001 times? IMPLEMENT SKIP FUNCTION, YOU SHITS.

if it's a game that has story, and "critics" whine about how it takes too long to review? EAT SHIT YOU FUCKING LAZY PIECE OF SHIT CROOKED SHILL. Did you ever see Roger Ebert go "oh man why can't i just skip the first 85 minutes of this movie and go straight to the ebin sploshun-filled finale?"
>>
>>320427205
I'm ok with speeding up gameplay, I'm not ok with skipping it.
This feature's been around for ages anyway, some RPGs have an auto-battle feature and most turn-based RPGs have the option to skip animations. Basically every emulator has a speed up button too.
Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.