[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
K.Rool is fantastic character, he has been a king, a pirate and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 2156x1406) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 2156x1406
K.Rool is fantastic character, he has been a king, a pirate and a boxer. Smash doesnt have many villains and it has so many human characters, why not mix it up and add another animal? Diversity is fun

Name one valid reason he would be a shit character

>he is irrelevant

So was ness, so was pit, so were ice climbers, so was game and watch, so was duck hunt, so was little mac, so was ROB

>He isn't Iconic

Donkey kong is one of nintendo's oldest franchises and K.Rool was the MAIN villain in NINE games, some of them sold millions. he is just as iconic as iconic as the characters mentioned above

>He is a bowser clone

He can't breathe fire and he would without a doubt have a unique moveset that would take inspiration from the fact he has been a pirate, a scientist and a boxer
>>
He really should have been in this time.

You'd think with all the newcomers we got, Sakurai would have put him in, especially given how popular he is.
>>
You're wrong about the first point. The characters you named were all retro reps or advertisements.

>So was ness, so was pit, so were ice climbers, so was game and watch, so was duck hunt, so was little mac, so was ROB

This is wrong.

>Ness

Ness was included because of Mother 64 which was in production at the time. Smash has always been part celebration of history, and part advertisement.

>Ice Climbers
Retro.

>Game and Watch
Retro.

>Duck Hunt
Retro.

>Little Mac
Retro.

>Rob
Retro.

Is King K. Rool retro? Fuck no. Does he have any relevant games coming out soon, or any recent game appearances? Fuck no.

Is he iconic? Not currently, no. He's a villain in a 2nd tier Nintendo franchise, and he's no longer the main villain anymore. I would definitely hesitate to call him iconic.

Absolutely he could have a great fucking moveset, but so could every other character out there.

K.Rool would be nice, but he's just kinda a middling contestant, and probably won't be returning.
>>
File: 1425219793006.gif (294 KB, 242x333) Image search: [Google]
1425219793006.gif
294 KB, 242x333
>>320424995
>Little mac
>retro
He had a game on the wii so does that mean he shouldn't be in smash? Hmmm...
>>
>>320424359
Sakurai puts characters in for three reasons.

#1: he likes them personally

#2: they're incredibly popular

#3: they have some really interesting moveset potential.

Krool is none of those things. He's not one of Sakurai's babies, he's not popular enough that someone who had only heard of the games he's in would recognize him, and he has no super cool gameplay gimmicks that would only make sense for him.
>>
i think he would have to be really gimmicky and silly, but that didn't stop them from including wario and bowser jr

i really wish sakurai just include him for the fan service of it, even if he wouldn't have the greatest moveset.
>>
He would be a fun character, sure. His moveset could be fucking amazing.

But I can't see much of a reason to include him. His last appearance as a main-series villain was back in fucking 1999, in Donkey Kong 64. Sure, he was in Jungle Swing, but that's a spin-off.

>no current appearances (not sakurai's fault, blame retro studios)
>no upcoming games
>good but not terribly memorable villain (changed look every main game)

Almost every fire-emblem character has been an ad for an upcoming game. Ness was an ad. Fuck, Falcon was an ad. Aside from ads, most characters coincide with the popularity of the franchise in question, and the popularity of the particular character in the franchise. K.Rool is popular among old-school Donkey Kong fans... and that's about it. Outside of that niche fanbase, he's not terribly well known, especially to the newer generation of players (which is slowly becoming the main target audience at this point).
>>
File: 1449519259375.jpg (38 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1449519259375.jpg
38 KB, 413x395
>>320424359
>BEING THIS BUTTBLASTED
>>
Why don't people understand that Donkey Kong himself is iconic, not majority of the rejects from the Rare games?

Also, 9 games?
>>
>>320425963
you could say the same about kirby though.

i know sakurai bias but still.
>>
>>320424359
Get over it. Whining like a little bitch on a shitty semi-public image board past its prime isn't going to change the fact he's not in.
>>
File: 1447299624173.jpg (67 KB, 452x452) Image search: [Google]
1447299624173.jpg
67 KB, 452x452
>>320424359
>DKC
>is a king
>fight him on a pirate ship and not a castle

>DKC2
>is a pirate
>fight him on an airship and not a pirate ship

>DKC3
>is a flying scientist
>fight him in a castle and not an airship
>>
>>320425305

Are you seriously trying to argue that the 30 fucking year old little mac is NOT retro?
>>
>>320425630
is k rool not popular enough? any video game fan who grew up in the 90's knows who he is.

i mean he included characters like palutena and wii fit trainer and bowser jr, who are not nearly as popular as k rool, and don't exactly have the greatest movesets in the game. why not just throw us a bone?
>>
>>320426041

Dedede is definitely iconic.

Everyone knows him as "the fat mean penguin from kirby/pink ball games"

You don't need to know the names of characters to recognize them.

K.Rool just looks like a fat almost crocodile, and the majority of people who look at him will have no idea who the fuck he is. Definitely not iconic.

(Metaknight's not iconic at all, but that's where the bias kicks in)
>>
>>320424359
Why are you still bothering to argue with retards? It's over. Save it for the 5mash threads.
>>
>>320424359
>So was ness
They presumably added him to keep the Mother series relevant since they originally planned to put Mother 3 on the N64. Afterwards the Mother series began to get a cult following so he stuck

>so was pit
Sakurai used him to promote the upcoming Kid Icarus Uprising. same kind of thing as with Marth and Roy in Melee

>so were ice climbers
I'll give you that one. They didn't have anything but the NES game then and still don't have anything now, so I'm not sure why they were put in other than to promote a new game that was cancelled or something

>so was game and watch
He was Nintendo's first actual character, so of course he would get some kind of recognition

>so was duck hunt, so was little mac, so was ROB
Unlike Ice Climbers, they had a lot more focus and popularity when they first came out, which has carried through to today
>>
>>320424359
>So was ness,

ness was added in smash 64. by then earthbound was a series without representation, and mother 3 was in development at the time.

>so was pit,

retro character added in brawl. had a new game for the 3ds

>so were ice climbers,

retro character. weren't even in smash 4

>so was game and watch,

represents a whole series of handhelds that helped nintendo get their start

>so was duck hunt,

retro character

>so was little mac,

punch out remake came out for the wii

>so was ROB

rob's been in more games than k rool has and is the reason nintendo is even a thing in north america.
>>
File: image.png (9 KB, 591x505) Image search: [Google]
image.png
9 KB, 591x505
>>320424359
One of those isn't even Rool you fuck
>>
>>320424359
Face it, K. Rool fans fucked up. They were so confidant in their Smash Ballot majority that they got arrogant, ignored the obvious Mii Costume deconfirmation, and are now in full denial mode a la Ridley fans.
>>
>>320426671

> any video game fan who grew up in the 90's knows who he is.

Yeah, this is how we know you're under 18.

90's were Mario and Sonic for Consoles, and Doom/Wolfenstien and Starcraft for PC. Everyone that played either PC or Consoles knew all of these names.

Other names that appeared had to be really fucking huge for anyone to recognize them.

Donkey Kong was not one of them. He's a decently well known Nintendo character, but his name escaped many of the Sega and PC players, much like how Myst escaped console players and Shining Force was strictly for Sega players.

You had to be at the level of Zelda, Wing Commander, or Phantasy Star to be known outside of your player base. That's a pretty tall order, and not one that any Donkey Kong game reached.
>>
>>320424359
>So was Ness

Wrong. He was added when Ness was relevant due to Earthbound 64 development.

>So was Pit

Incorrect. Pit was relevant due to Sakurai's choice of making Uprising eventually.

>So were Ice Climbers.

Wrong again faggot. He stated they were a homage to their era.

>So was Mr. Game & Watch.

Again wrong. They are relevant due to the game boy. It would have never been made if G&W had never existed.

>So was Duck Hunt

Wrong. It was to align with Duck Hunt coming to the virtual console.

>So was Little Mac.

Wrong due to Punch Out Wii.

>So was ROB

Wrong. ROB has made repeated cameo appearances, therefore he has been relevant since the dawn of time.

You didn't name a SINGLE character that was legitimately irrelevant.
Meanwhile, K. Rool is not only outdated, but doesn't have a legacy, doesn't represent any kind of era, and is just a villain.

YES, I SAID THAT. BEING A VILLAIN IN SMASH ENTITLES YOU TO NOTHING. REMEMBER THIS.
>>
>>320424359
I mostly just think he has a really stupid design.
>>
>>320424359
What are you even trying to do at this point? He's not in, and he won't be in.

Also, he does breath fire in King of Swing.
>>
>>320427159
I still don't get the Ridleyfag meme. Ridley fans never did shit like this, all they ever did was say they wanted him in the game and defended themselves when people attacked them.
>>
Literally every character that you mentioned is relevant in some way, be it recent game (celebration), retro (history), or advertisement (shekles). K.Rool is none of these.

He's not iconic, he's had literally NO consistent look throughout his appearances, and he hasn't been the villain of a main series game since 1999. No one knows or fucking cares about him.
>>
>>320426808
this is all just conjecture, but i really don't think you're right.

i think more people who grew up with a SNES played the DKC games than the kirby games. by far. they were a huge huge deal. DKC alone was the best selling SNES game of all time, and the others were huge sellers. ask anybody who grew up with a snes and the three donkey kong games are probably among their favorites.

i bet you anybody who played games in the 90's could tell you all of the main character's names.

nowadays is maybe a different story now that he's no longer a part of the series. but i still think k rool deserves a spot based on his history and as fan service to people who grew up with the snes.
>>
>>320428207

I agree.

Ridley fans were and always will be completely delusional. They may be salty, but deservedly so, since Sakurai fucks with them every chance he gets

At least they're not fucking retarded though, like K.Rool fans.
>>
>>320427343
what are you talking about? i don't know a single kid who grew up with a SNES that didn't love the donkey kong country series.

just look at the sales if you don't believe my personal experiences.

DKC was the best selling snes game. is that not popular to justify the main villain's inclusion? what more do you want?

i'm not saying he's mickey mouse for fucks sakes but for a game about nintendo all stars of course he belongs there.
>>
Even if Sakurai did put him in, I doubt he would give him a very interesting moveset. Im not saying he doesnt have potential to have a really fucking awesome moveset, but think about who you are dealing with here.
>>
>>320428534
The only remotely delusional thing they did was suspect the boss thing was a ruse, because it was seriously framed like it was.
>>
>>320428463
Not the other guy, even if more people were playing DKC than Kirby games back in the SNES era, one thing that's true is that King Dedede and MK were much more prominent in their games than K. Rool was in his. In the original DKC, K. Rool just shows up at the end, and if you hadn't read the manual, you wouldn't have known he was there until that last level. He's still pretty much absent for the other DKC games as well, though he did get a lot more spotlight in DK64.
>>
File: implying.jpg (55 KB, 480x960) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
55 KB, 480x960
>>320424359
Smash is a fucking joke that only appeals to the biggest weebs now

Fuck that slant eyed gook and his shit taste
>>
File: 98c.png (215 KB, 640x309) Image search: [Google]
98c.png
215 KB, 640x309
Too big.
>>
File: 1447374310452.jpg (35 KB, 552x504) Image search: [Google]
1447374310452.jpg
35 KB, 552x504
post yfw King Kuck Rool will NEVER be playable in Smash Bros.
>>
>>320428463

>but i really don't think you're right

Then you'd be wrong.

I don't know why, but you seem to be operating on the assumption that the SNES was their big ticket item at that time.

It wasn't.

The Gameboy and Gameboy Color were released earlier, supported for longer, and had higher sales in pretty much every way.

Take a look at which games sold more.

DKC, outside of bundles, sold like ass. Kirby, Pokemon, and Zelda actually sold games on their own merit, and sold a fuck of a lot.

DKC 2, the game that was NOT bundled, sold far less than Pokemon, less than Zelda: LA, and even less than Kirby's Dreamland.

On top of this, most of these other series give consistent characterization to each of their characters, and usually has the appropriate villains show up in proper form.

DKC's K.Rool has been a pirate, a scientist, a boxer, and a really mad fucking crocodile - not once in his main appearances has he had a consistent personality, appearance, motivation, or anything else. He's essentially 3-4 different people that disagree with DK.

No, he's not iconic, and the only reason he's even known here is because the SNES was bundled with his game. Without that, DK would probably be around Fire Emblem with the number of sales he's gotten.
>>
>>320428675

>best selling SNES game.

Fuck off. Super Mario World was the best selling SNES game, by twice over.

Oh, you want to disqualify bundled games? Then disfuckingqualify DKC, since the only reason it was even on anyone's radar was because it was bundled to begin with.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.