[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point did Runescape turn to shit /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 10
File: rscompare3.jpg (29 KB, 600x200) Image search: [Google]
rscompare3.jpg
29 KB, 600x200
At what point did Runescape turn to shit /v/?
>>
oh, you know
>>
right when they implemented ge and fucked the economy, followed by the graphical update
>>
Rs2
>>
I think the release of Summoning was when RuneScape jumped the shark.
>>
File: Granite_maul_detail.png (84 KB, 500x597) Image search: [Google]
Granite_maul_detail.png
84 KB, 500x597
search your heart you know it to be true
>>
I blame skill capes
>>
>>320404649
>tfw actually like the ge and did play back when you'd sell in the bank
it devauled stuff like god armors but the rest of stuff isn't fucking terrible

it was slowly going down after and then eoc was the breaking point
>>
Jagex is a bunch of clueless fucks who don't know what actually makes a good game. Hell, their only good game was RS and that whole idea was bought from a couple of indie devs. They ran it into the ground a few years afterward
>>
What killed runescape was the removal of free trade + removal of wildernes

to this day people still dont know they reverted that
>>
>>320405630
for me RS was already hopeless by the time EOC came around. It's like they took a unique MMO and tried to streamline it into some unoriginal action RPG whilst using the same shitty framework from 2006
>>
>>320405630
I took it up the ass from them for ages, year after year but EOC was the last straw. Man they fucked up so bad with that.
>>
>>320405831
From what I know they did it to make it harder for people to bot. But it really was a huge blow to the game
>>
it was always shit
it was always the garbage pseudo-MMO that kids played on school computers during lunch break or when they were supposed to be working in the school library
>>
Well, it gets worse every update but i still keep playing it
>>
File: 593.png (54 KB, 200x322) Image search: [Google]
593.png
54 KB, 200x322
>mfw they brought back 07scape and then killed that too
>>
>>320405858
>>320405921
This is why I still enjoy OSRS from time to time. Problem is in OSRS it's not ruined, but anti-GEfags will be pretty mad and their top priority is PvM.
>>
>>320404649
>At what point did Runescape turn to shit /v/?

When they centralized the economy instead of allowing local trade through the general store.
The game felt, no, was alive when players interacted with players. Now it's a theme park and would make a bad single player RPG.
>>
>>320406530
I fucking laughed when they pulled that partyhat shit a couple years ago. They just let people vote for what they wanted in the Christmas event, so of course everyone chose to have 1 of every partyhat which then crashed the prices into oblivion
>>
File: herb t.png (525 KB, 529x602) Image search: [Google]
herb t.png
525 KB, 529x602
>>320404649
so i guess its only me who likes RS3....
well shit then
>>
When Zezima was dethroned as the #1 player, I enjoyed the game significantly less. Zezima was more than just a dank meme.

Little children check their closet for the boogieman. The boogieman checks his closet for Chuck Norris. Cuck Norris checks his closet for Zezima.
>>
>>320406880
Yeah pretty much. Half the people who even play that shit anymore just do it to trade ingame cash for real world money
>>
File: prayer t.png (404 KB, 452x538) Image search: [Google]
prayer t.png
404 KB, 452x538
>>320407036
i just like the new pvming, especially qbd and araxii
>>
>>320406479
How?
>>
>>320407027
I fucking loved those Zezima jokes
>>
I'm on the opposite spectrum of you all. I think the game is better than ever. I tried it out again recently and while the new combat isn't great there is nothing stopping you from playing in Legacy combat. Its literally the same game with not shit graphics, more cosmetic options (and overrides thank fucking god finally) and more content and skills to explore. The people who complain about RS3 are just people who don't know about Legacy combat for the most part anyway.
>>
>>320407263
I just really hate GE. Everything about it
>>
When did RS1 become RS2? I barely played Runescape at all, and I'm not sure which one I played. I think I played in 2003 or 2004.
>>
2012 was much worse then 2007 desu
>>
>>320406686
GE + 99 capes killed the community. I basically could just hoard material without interacting with anyone, and just sat there by myself for hours just trying to get 99s. If I couldn't get material so easy, I probably wouldn't even bother desu since they weren't really necessary back then.
>>
>>320404649
removal of wildy
>>
>>320407036
>Half the people who even play that shit anymore just do it to trade ingame cash for real world money

Don't forget you can buy in-game membership with rs gold now, which is indirect RWT because you buy "bonds" that are bought with real money from players. And these "bonds" are expensive to begin with.
>>
It was always shit, it's a plebs game.
>>
>>320407491
>I basically could just hoard material without interacting with anyone

That's why the interaction bit is important. The capes were a goal and didn't really take away from the player-to-player interface. That's what the G.E. did, it turned trading and merching soulless.

Never again will you snipe a rune 2handed sword or dragon battleaxe in the general exchange because somebody pissed off at their mates decided to dump their entire banks in the general store.
>>
>>320405630
In RS1 plebs sold in the bank. We actually congregated where the GE in Varrock is now. It was a big ass empty field and was ideal for the shit.

@cya@Selling rbax 700k!!!!!
>>
>>320408110
>In RS1 plebs sold in the bank

No, the varrock castle grounds as well. There were areas that emerged for specific items like rares and armors across those grounds. How somebody came up with that I have no idea, but that's an example of beautiful emergent gameplay.

And then there was Falador Park.

Seeing those places so quiet nowadays is just soul crushing.
>>
>>320408347
Falador park was almost exclusively RS2. A lot of the emergent trade locations came from mining, certing, and pking hubs.

You'd never sell coal near varrock and falador, for instance. But certs were an easy beginner's flip in the same places.
>>
>>320408347
Yeah the game sort of developed its own set of ground rules from simple player cooperation. There were specific areas dedicated to trading certain items, and it was all player decided. It was great and it gave the game a lot of character. And then they centralized it to a crock pot of fuckery that you just dump your items into to magically get money out. It sucked the life out of trading.
>>
Grand Exchange was the point of no return.
>>
File: pausethegame.jpg (28 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
pausethegame.jpg
28 KB, 240x320
>>320404649
rs 2010-2012 was best rs for pking
>>
>>320408858
>>320409020

The game could have become the economic fantasy version of EVE Online but Jagex fucked up with centralizing and exerting control over the economy.
>>
>>320409507
This
I swear Jagex isn't even a company, just a circlejerk of Brits who think of half assed ideas and then throw them into the game to amuse themselves with the consequences
>>
>>320406721
Yeah it's not perfect. Seeing Phats so easy to get hurts sometimes.
>>
>>320404649
2008 I'd say. I quite liked summoning and I prefer the Wilderness as "the most dangerous region in the game for its mobs" rather than "the most dangerous region in the game because you'll be hit by ice barrage after about 5 feet"
>>
>>320410658
>you'll be hit by ice barrage after about 5 feet
Not if you carefully plan to avoid pkers by hopping to an emptier world before going into the wildi.

Back on OSRS where pking still exists I walked all the way to the end of the wildi seeing absolutely no one else
>but the game was more popular back then
Had I been on a more populated world, I'd be teleblocked mid-way on a bad day.
>>
I enjoy RS3 it's fun to do bosses and duoing Nex and Kalphite King is a blast.
>>
>>320404649
Runescape was always shit.
>>
>>320411127
>Kalphite King

fuck off. is there a Queen Black Dragon too?
>>
Runescape was always bad. You played it because it was your first MMO and you were a kid with time to grind shit all night.
>>
>>320407397
I played in 2004, RS2 is RS2 breh.
I know, it looked a lot better in my mind too.
>>
>>320406880
I've never heard of a single prominent RS player that enjoys RS3.
Virtually all of them play RS07 or private servers.
>>
>>320411337
nah, i'll still argue today that though the combat was completely lacklustre it has the best quests and the best incorporation of non combat skills than any other MMO.
>>
>>320411537
asheron's call would like to have a word with you
>>
>>320406073
/thread
>>
>>320411238
Yes.

RS3 is shit.
>>
>>320410658
I remember hard clue scrolls being an activity to pass time for me. Then they reverted back to classic style wilderness, and it got too stressful for me.

The best loot I got was a robin hat from those treasure hunts.
>>
>>320411514
who were the "prominent" runescape players other than Zezima? I think I remember youloveme being perpetually in second place too but that's about it

>>320411602
I can't say I've even heard of that
>>
>>320411602
Fuck that, give me Ultima Online or Tabula Rasa.
>>
>>320411763
the only other player I remember is the guy who owned the house responsible for the Falador Massacre, but I can't even remember his name.
>>
>>320411238
Is there something wrong with adding new content? I wouldn't be happy if the boss I was killing for over an hour had a 300k dragon chainbody as the best drop.
>>
>>320411763
Asheron's Call is an oldschool pay2play MMO from the early 2000's.
The game had a bunch of dungeons that were similar to oldschool singleplayer RPG design, with puzzles and shit, and there was a lot of lore and story to the game.

It also had several non-combat skills and magic was used equally for buffing as much as it was for combat.
People would actually log in to a secondary character when they were finished playing, and set him up as a buffbot.
>>
>>320411763
The Old Nite
Blurose13x

>>320411880
Cursed You and Durial321
>>
>>320411880
Durial123 or something. I remember getting forum banned for saying his name
>>
>>320411763
>Asheron's Call
>I can't say I've even heard of that
Oh my god
>>
With EoC
Then it got better with the Legacy Mode update. Not perfect, but it better.
>>
I feel like when gaming communities start to become obsessed with the economy of the game, it surely, eventually destroys the game.

Has this happened to Runescape? Sometimes I think about giving it a go, just for old time's sake, but I feel like it would diseased with an economy that I would just turn me off.
>>
>>320412537
>I feel like when gaming communities start to become obsessed with the economy of the game, it surely, eventually destroys the game.

It didn't destroy Ultima which died because of EA and it's not destroying EVE Online. Being obsessed with the economy is a sign of a healthy game. Heavy complaints about the economy are signs the game is diseased.

Avoid Runescape.
>>
>>320412537
since jagex dictates it all through the GE there's nothing like that to worry about. pre GE the economy was incredibly dynamic and all the better for it
>>
Grand Exchange ruined everything

i loved the clusterfuck that was free trade and dragging my bag of tradegods to the marketb to haggle

The Craftsmen rings and trade guilds are all gone now and all the drama over hurr they are pushing the prices or dumping them is gone

i miss the hysteria over lobsters and coal
>>
>>320412537
At best only play OSRS. It also has its flaws compared to back then but at least is decent. RS3 literally has P2W garbage and way too many free exp handouts.

>>320412770
I wouldn't say Jagex fully dictates it considering the GE is based on some supply and demand algorithm. Too bad it really takes the piss out of the F2P economy thanks to low demand from members.
>>
Runescape died in 2007.

With the introduction of the Grand Exchange the game was hit hard but not dead.

The game ultimately died with the removal of the wilderness and free trade.

People who talk about pre-eoc runescape need to have their head checked. The game started sucking way before then and those people probably weren't playing in or before 2007.
>>
>>320412116
Not him, but come on, guy. I haven't heard of that either, ever. Trust me lol, I'm on /v/ a lot and no one talks about it here. Chance is, far less people in the real world would know what it it, but that's most videogames you could say. I wonder what the statistics would be if you sent out a survey to everyone to find out who knew about this game, provided they told the truth.

I'm not saying it's not good. It's very obscure though. In fact, I think cute little MMOs can be really fun to get into and can really turn out to be hidden gems.
>>
>bought a santa hat
>quit the game shortly after
in that moment, I felt nothing, and it was time to move on.
>>
>>320413003
Played during/before 07 here. Still found the game a little enjoyable but I fucking hated no free trade/wildi bullshit.
>>
>>320412862
Oh, of course. I could never get into RS3 now. It's just not what I'd prefer. RS2 would make me feel right at home.

Was it just me or was the music really, really good? I mean, I was a kid, but I love that wonderfully simplistic, very basic sounding fantasy music they used.
>>
Runescape is literally perfect
Oldschool shitters heck off
>>
>>320413312
OSRS is the closest you're getting really. However if you really hated the GE, and/or mind the increased focus on PvM, you might as well give up.

>>320413386
>supporting p2w
>>
>>320413064
>Trust me lol
>I'm on /v/ a lot and no one talks about it here
You realise you're exactly the kind of person he's complaining about in his post, right? An underageb& who gets all of his vidya knowledge from the first page of /v/.

>Asheron's Call is a very obscure cute little MMO
You're a faggot.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Awesome/AsheronsCall
>>
>>320413312
>Was it just me or was the music really, really good?
the best, bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFgvAyJWkjU
>>
>>320406479
Go play Vscape. Its aim is to be rs in 2006 to 2007 age. They also have a crazy amount of content coded in for a rsps.
>>
>Spent about £600 on RS gold
>No regrets

I bloody love playing RS2 at times, Its just very relaxing.
>>
>>320413510
>linking to fucking tvtropes

oh my god. I also fail to see how linking that one story bolsters your argument. Asheron's Call is obscure and it always fucking has been
>>
>>320413471
>p2w
This meme never gets old
>>
>>320413761
It was either TVtropes or Cracked. I wasn't linking it for proof that it's not obscure. I was linking it for proof that it's not a "cute little MMO". Again, you're underageb& and we all now know it.
>>
>>320413854
It is P2W now, with a gambling mechanic to obfuscate the P2W.
>>
>>320413897
how does one humorous story from it discredit that claim? really you can argue this shit to hell and back, it's an obscure game that barely anybody played as far as MMO's go.

>you're underage!
nah, I just know when shit goes under the radar and that's what happened with AC. But you just keep being you.
>>
I don't get it, it looks better.
>inb4 muh "soul" and muh "game feel"
>>
Does anyone have an account that they don't want?

I want to play but don't want to start from scratch again
>>
>>320404649

RuneScape was good up until they introduced runecrafting, and then it all downhill from there. It was salvageable until farming came out though.
>>
>>320414316
hell naw, my 50m riches (which is probably worthless by now) and santa hat will gather dust, always.
>>
>>320414158
It's been p2w since membership
Get fucked faggot
>>
>>320414167
It was the third MMO ever released. It was right there alongside Everquest and UO and still pulled like 100,000+ players. Which is like half of UO's peak numbers. Calling Asheron's Call obscure is just an outright lie and it comes from you being underage and not old enough to know this shit. It didn't even come close to flying under the radar because it was one of three games in the genre.
>>
>>320413510
See, that's completely wrong, I'm sorry. I don't get all my vidya "knowledge" from here. But this is a place for people to come and talk and share opinions and games, and Asheron's Call is something I've never seen discussed or shown any interest in. I'm not surprised TVTropes has an article on it. You'd definitely find something like that there.

>the first page of /v/
I actually prefer using the catalog.

I know you're probably playing an act right now, but I really think people like you could live happier lives if you didn't make so many assumptions to get angry about.
>>
>>320414410
>membership
>p2w

That's called a subscription system.
>>
>>320414505
>It has an article on TVtropes
>Therefore it's obscure
Ok.

>I don't know what Asheron's Call is
>I'm not underage though, I s-swear!
Ok.
>>
File: 1447378225561.jpg (54 KB, 604x504) Image search: [Google]
1447378225561.jpg
54 KB, 604x504
>>320411763
speaking of zezima did he ever try to cash in on his fame during this youtuber craze at all, or is he still a figure that alot of people know who he his, but know very little else about him?
>>
>Get an announcement about a new ORS mode called Deadman
>Look into it
>Basically an attempt at Ultima Online

Should I /v/?
I mean modern RuneScape is shit, but the idea of an open PvP mode where the only places you are truly safe are the towns is right up my alley.
>>
>>320411763
>who were the "prominent" runescape players other than Zezima?

Lilyuffie and The Old Nite were the big three about 10-11 years ago or so. The Old Nite died irl and fuck knows whatever happened to the other two though. There were also other players famous for a particular skill, like the Runecrafting guy (what the fuck was his name again, like Larrys ors something?)
>>
>Removal of GE
>Skill Capes
>Streamlining of skills
>EoC
>Summoning
>Dungeoneering (Fuck you, it's NOT a skill)
>Minigames replacing skilling
>GE (While more efficient to buy shit, it killed the community and economy)
>Botnukes because "RWTing is the DEVIL" then turning around and RWTing themselves
>Removal of wilderness and free trade

Seriously, did anybody give a rats ass about people who botted other than losers who though RS was an investment instead of enjoyment?
>>
Runescape was consistently going further and further downhill after 2007, but I stuck with it.

However, EoC completely ruined the game for me. I have not logged on since that update.
>>
>>320414909
Larryr, and that was a woman playing on her son's account who built a corporation around runecraft runners. Has since been immortalized as an NPC in the runecrafting guild.
>>
>>320414783
He never did. It's probably why he works for Jagex now.
>>
>>320414956
>Seriously, did anybody give a rats ass about people who botted other than losers

Caused a deflation of prices with raw materials as botters competed with each other. Also hogged monsters by camping popular areas, but the annoyance came from having to actually pay attention when fighting so as to steal the monster first instead of AFK training.
>>
File: tubular.jpg (53 KB, 456x453) Image search: [Google]
tubular.jpg
53 KB, 456x453
>>320415302
>he works for Jagex now.
well color me suprised, nice to hear he got a job at a company he loves/loved so much
>>
>>320413612
>V-circlejerk-scape
>>
>>320414814
You know that's essentially what RS1 was/is right? And the temporary thing they did with the Wilderness worlds while free trade was gone, everything except banks was a PvP area. It sounds good in concept, but in reality it'll just be people fighting on the border of the town and then running back inside. Unless they have some fix for this happening
>>
>>320414909
elfmage too, sparc mac and a friend have always been around.
>>
>>320415985
RS1 had open PKing for a few months, effendi. I do miss it but it was shit in its first and only incarnation.

>start out as an adventurer with PKing enabled.
>get ganked immediately
>get ganked again
>fumble to your control panel and use one of your three toggles to turn the PK skull off
>walk to Varrock in relative safety
>witness scrub PKers get theirs as they get owned by the strongest NPCs in the game, Guard
>witness someone actually manage to kill a guard
>don't log in for a week

Story time brought to you by retarded 15 year old me.
>>
>>320404649

When they stuck microtransactions goddamn everywhere. Also, they bumped up the audio quality without actually storing any of the audio data on your machine, so dialogue and music will just cut out while it tries to stream everything at once.
>>
File: hjkl.png (169 KB, 797x570) Image search: [Google]
hjkl.png
169 KB, 797x570
I've been playing on and off since 05. just got into OSRS last october and by now I honestly mean that it's the greatest runescape has ever been. There's a big new continent coming out soon which I'm excited about, and hopefully some new, actual quests
>>
>>320417818
how don't you get bored?
>>
Introduction of skillcapes, since they're what really prompted the "no xp waste" attitude that killed the community and later the game.
>>
>>320417818
>New Quests
Don't you know? All anyone ever votes for now is Slayer and new bosses.
>>
File: das it mane.jpg (52 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
das it mane.jpg
52 KB, 500x494
>>320417818
>that interface

that's it man, that's the stuff
>>
Someone post the camwhore gif
>>
>>320418057
I usually play for some weeks at a time, then I get really bored of it and stop playing for a week or two, then I go to the site to see if there's been any cool updates recently and the urge to play hits me again. Every time.
There's a lot of grinding but you really just gotta take it one bite at a time. If your goal is to get whatever skill to 99 as soon as you get off tutorial island, you're not gonna have a good time. I usually just grind so I can reach the next tier of equipment or unlock one of the super fun quests the game has

>>320418097
Quests did very well in the last priority poll
>>
>>320415985
I only played RuneScape when it was brand new and I thought the open PVP was its only redeeming feature. I didn't realize it was so quickly removed.
>>
>>320407862
>>320411191
>>320411337
this
runescape was always a shitty game
you only remember it fondly because it was an essential game to play with friends in 5th grade
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.