[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OoT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 14
File: maxresdefault-2.jpg (309 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-2.jpg
309 KB, 1920x1080
I maintain Ocarina of Time to be the best game ever.

If it did not exist though, which game would be the defacto nominee for the title? You might call this a veiled recommendation's thread if you want, but I'm looking for the next game that encapsulates:

>nonlinearity
>indeterminate challenge that can be imposed by player via above
>excellent storytelling
>lore that is told exclusively through gameplay.
>either ambient musical or visual representation, or both.

I was reading about how Miyamoto almost pulled the plug on the Ocarina and made the songs automatic because people on the team were saying that it was too cumbersome to play them, but when he went unto the floor to watch them, he saw that they were enjoying it.

It made me realize that if any one of OoT's features had been lost that it would have brought the whole game down. I'm looking for a similar game. One that is more than the sum of it's parts and not a collection of disparate features.
>>
File: 4651.jpg (70 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
4651.jpg
70 KB, 500x628
>>320373585
>>lore that is told exclusively through gameplay.
Game dumps tons of exposition at you and you find most of the lore by actually talking to NPCs.
>>
>I maintain Ocarina of Time to be the best game ever.
it isn't, though. gamefaqs proved this rather conclusively
>>
>>320373776
This
>>
>>320373585
>nonlinearity
OOT is linear as in you can't make choices or do the dungeons out of order
>excellent storytelling
It doesn't do this either
>lore that is told exclusively through game play
See >>320373776

OP this is either bait or you're taking 100,000 lumens of nostalgia straight to eyeholes
>>
Too bad, OP. Undertale is scientifically proven to be the best game ever made.
>>
I'd say it's my favourite game and the best one i've ever played, but I think a lot of it comes down to bias from repeatedly playing it and growing up with it as a child.
If i saw it now for the first time I don't know if i'd care about it as much, or even be willing to try it. I want to try the first two fallout games but just not willing to try
>>
File: 1449839324280.png (36 KB, 266x289) Image search: [Google]
1449839324280.png
36 KB, 266x289
>nonlinearity
>>
>>320374116
>OOT is linear as in you can't make choices or do the dungeons out of order
only if your shit
>>
i tried to emulate it, but it only runs at 21 or something fps, i heard this was the normal framerate?
>>
File: 1438897943660.jpg (903 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1438897943660.jpg
903 KB, 2560x1600
My all time favourite game

Zombie expansion was really well done too
>>
>>320373585
Why is OoT your favourite game when it encapsulates none of those things.
>>
>>320373585
>excellent storytelling

For that it would need a story in the first place.

Just like Metal Gear right? :^)

But yeah it is a fantastic game, but not for its story or characters. And don't let the Fedora's Mask hipsters tell you otherwise.
>>
Resident Evil 4, at least for me, is the best game ever created.
>>
Dark Souls is better.
>>
File: IMG_542173392384.jpg (59 KB, 394x473) Image search: [Google]
IMG_542173392384.jpg
59 KB, 394x473
>>320373776
Not really. For instance the Gossip Stones are obviously proxies for Sheikah and to communicate with the Royal Family and leaders of the world (see stone in front of King Zora), as well as impromptu signal flares in times of war. Most of them are also deliberately placed as you find getting to know the game world better. Like the one in Lake Hylia that tells you Anju and the Lake Scientist are in cahoots to develop a pocket cucco. She says she's doing it because of her allergies.

Yet, you aren't told of this. Heck they aren't even mentioned by Impa or anyone. You have to infer all this by the Mask of Truth and what you can infer about it, the Sheikah, and how you get one by serving the people of Hyrule.

>>320374116
The only dungeons you can't do out of order are the first three.
>>
>>320375049
>Le response that's not a response meme.
Get out.

>>320375153
Uh, I don't need anyone to tell me why OoT is good or how good it is. And quit being butthurt over a rivalry from 18 years ago. MGS is one of the reasons why OoT is as good as it is to begin with. Miyamoto was preaching about making a movie first and was going to release it in 1997. Then MGS came out, and he suddenly did a 360 and delayed the game immediately, and rewrote a fourth of the story. That's probably how we got the Gerudo stealth part since that was never shown before. We should be thankful to the ruse meister.
>>
Mario 3 is my vote for best of all time senpai.
>>
>>320373585

> indeterminate challenge

So hardcore I play games with my toes.
>>
>>320373778
>gamefaqs
who?
>>
>>320376254
MGS came out in September 1998, a couple of months before OOT.
>>
>>320375184
OP here. Resident Evil 4 is easily my next choice. I do wish the entire game had optional weapon quests like the Red9 though. That is.its only flaw. I forgot what incindiery flares are good for. Remind me again?
>>320376463
Still on Mario 1 since I refuse to use Warp Pipes so I can't comment.
>>320376693
>not playing OoT blind-folded.
Do you even have eyes of tru th?
>>
>>320376942
Ah yes, right. Thanks. I still hold he played it at some point and it or FFVII delayed OoT, as he's known for checking out the competition.
>>
>>320373585
Undertale.

Yiff yiff.
>>
>>320377236
>blindfolded

casual shitter, try actually being blind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmqarQRSSE
>>
Mine would be Suikoden II. Everything it does, it does nearly perfect. One of the greatest Stories ever told in videogaming, customization without the need to "mini-manage" everything, base building, choices that actually have an imapct on the story etc.
>>
>>320377807
I heard about this game back when Jason on Kotaku did his piece on it being the best PS1 game. I hope to try it one day.
>>320377464
He's pretty good.
>>
Its non linear as in you can go wherever the fuck you want as long as you have the item. Remember these were dark times when not everything was handed to you on a silver plate
>>
>>320378137

Download it a PS3 Retro-Store for 2.99 €, whatever that is in $. Or emulate it.

Buy Suikoden I and get perfect file to get bonus content in Suikoden II. This feature alone is priceless.

Even comparing recent games, Suikoden II easily leaves most RPGs in the dust.

And not even wearing my nostalgia glasses.
>>
>>320373585
Well every 3d zelda after it was pretty much better.
Well except for skyward sword.
Highly doubt the series is impossibly good.
>>
>>320378631
Thank you for the tip broski. Duly noted for as soon as I get a PS4.
>>320375467
Actually I was thinking about this and I realized I'm wrong. There is one NPC who mentions the stones. The Running Man who also says that you must be able to hear "the voices" when you appear with the Bunny Hood. But he doesn't have a Mask of Truth. Furthermore, his eyes are always closed, so you can't tell if he's a Sheikah or not. Have I stumbled upon new lore?
>>
File: Untitled 3.png (49 KB, 676x640) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 3.png
49 KB, 676x640
It's one if not the best games on Nintendo 64 and one of if not the best games in its series. That said can understand why someone would prefer something else on that console / series.

But the best game of all time, on all platforms? Not knowledgeable enough to declare that but really doubt that's true. It's indubitably a good game but...nah...
>>
>>320375467
But that's wrong. You can choose water OR fire after forest temple. And you can choose shadow or spirit at the end.
>>
>>320373585
You forgot the sense of exploration, the biggest factor in the game
>>
>>320373585
>nonlinearity

There's a great deal of linearity in terms of progression, in fact outside of glitches only the shadow and spirit temples can be accessed in either order.

There's a lot of cutscenes. In real time, contrasted with (usually) streamed videos on other consoles, but cutscenes that aren't particularly fast moving, with slow invariable text speed and are unskippable
>>
>>320381194
Lightning Returns
>>
File: mzm_sequence_map.png (84 KB, 776x1290) Image search: [Google]
mzm_sequence_map.png
84 KB, 776x1290
>Ctrl+F Metroid
>0 hits

Super Metroid or Metroid Zero Mission. With Super the non-linearity is unintentional (in terms of progression, although you can fuck around the map in any direction you like), in Zero Mission they made a conscious effort to let you progress the game in many different ways (picture related)

ZM is short on bosses and a little easy but you can always limit your item pickups and/or play on hard mode if you like to bust your balls.
>>
>>320381106
>You can choose water OR fire after forest temple.
Absolutely nothing impedes you from doing Fire first if you like. In "intended" play you need the bow in Water though so you need to at least get that from Forest (although it should be possible to beat it without the bow even glitchless -- and in Master Quest you only need Din's Fire instead), and you do get Nocturne only after beating the Forest, Fire and Water. Spirit you can also do whenever after getting either Longshot or Epona, although I believe you can actually reach the other end of the bridge with a Hookshot.
>>
File: 1386405939053.jpg (54 KB, 544x700) Image search: [Google]
1386405939053.jpg
54 KB, 544x700
BEST GAMES OF ALL TIME:

>JRPG
Chrono Trigger
>WRPG
Morrowind
>CRPG
VTMB
>Shooter
System Shock 2
>4X
Age of Wonders
>RTS
Starcraft
>TBS
Civ 4
>Platformer
Sanic 2
>Action
Demon's Souls
>Sim
Red Dead Redemption.
>MMO
EvE Online

To disagree is to admit you have no taste and your opinion is worthless
>>
D A R K S O U L S
>>
>>320382473
this 2bh fám
>>
File: StarFox64_N64_Game_Box.jpg (117 KB, 700x485) Image search: [Google]
StarFox64_N64_Game_Box.jpg
117 KB, 700x485
This game was so far ahead of its time, it's hilarious
>>
>>320373778
Only because ROCKET LEAGUE, the real best game ever, wasn't on the list.
>>
>>320373585
EH REH
>>
>>320375043
People who this game is their favorite are literal retards
>>
>>320373585
>I maintain Ocarina of Time to be the best game ever.
Fucking why? It wasn't that good. This is a really gay meme and I don't understand why it persists. There are dozens of better games from that era and before.
>>
>>320382670
Explain.
>>
>>320380918
Excuse me but did I not make it clear I was looking for this supposed best game of all time? Not "hey bro, I think it might be because I can't think of anything better but we shouldn't offend the masses" wishy-wash. No-one is arguing it's not. Why are you?
>world-shattering introspection
Quit being Uncle Tom.
>>320381178
To be fair, most of OoT's exploration is tied to the Scarecrow's Song (fun fact: you were once able to use it as a child, to unknown ends) so I wouldn't cite it as one of the perks I'm looking for another game to match. RE4 had no exploration for instance.
>>320381194
Everything you said is wrong for the last word of your post. The cutscenes are unskippable.
>>320382154
Brb, ebaying this Zero Mission you speak of...
>$30 used average
A little more than I thought but... I'll get it when I have money. Will this finally top my GBA mvp Astroboy?
>>320382331
I'm pretty sure you cannot. But you can reach the Fishing Hole with the Hookshot. Maybe you can run across and just barely manage to cling unto the ends of the bridge with the Hover Boots though, but I doubt it, or it would be more known.
>>320382670
As much as I like SF64, have to say I wish Sin & Punishment had been released here and shown it its place. It's a little too easy and there's no mech fighting. I have to give it to Treasure.
>>
>>320384449

I have this gut feeling you browse reddit.
>>
>>320384004
it's objectively a better game
deal with it, faggot
>>
>>320384449
>I'm pretty sure you cannot.
You actually can, although it involves a little trick that pretty much nobody unfamiliar with speedrun stuff would know about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ntEotq4xQY

That pause buffered 180 turn allows you to move just a tiny bit further, which is enough to reach the other bridge.
>>
>>320384592
Why do the sites he browses or not even matter?
>>
>>320373585
The original super mario brothers.

Before SMB the industry was dead. Super Mario Bros and the NES is the sole reason why the industry was revitalized after Atari fucked it up.
>>
>>320373585
That's funny because I maintain Ocarina of Time to be the most overrated game ever.

Simultaneously I maintain that it has one of the most obnoxious fanbases ever.
>>
>>320384897
Oh wow, thanks for the knowledge and correction. Had no idea Link could even turn like that. God bless you.
>>
OP singlehandedly drew out all the faggots from gamefaqs to fail miserably at proving why OoT isn't the current goat.

Good job OP. I'm gonna start my annual through, its almost holiday time anyway.
>>
>>320385432
Wouldn't that make it the most influential game?
>>
File: 39182460.png (234 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
39182460.png
234 KB, 500x650
Young Link made me gay, and then a gay pedophile
>>
>>320373585
Ocarina has the objectively worst dungeon, and since that's the only good thing Zelda has to offer I don't even consider it to be in the top five Zelda games.
Grade A tedious horrible bullshit.
>>
>>320373585
It was for its time but Zelda mechanics are dead and the series not going into arpg doesn't give any real incentive to beat it. Newer Zelda are linear as fuck so there's even less reason to play the game
>>
>>320385798
OP here. People aren't faggots just because they share a different opinion than you. Quit spouting such demeaning verbage. What you say about your brother comes back to you. It's the law of karma and you cannot cheat it.
>>
>>320373585

No anon it's fucking shit actually, it's literally only nostalgia because it's one of the first games you ever played/finished probably. I have this exact same thing with SMB3, I will always claim that it's the best game ever made, but then I realize that there are kids who will always have that feeling about GTA V and the first Modern Warfare.
>>
>>320385982
>linear as fuck
Not a real criticism, and never has been.
>>
>OoT best game

yeeeahh.. undertale exists bro
>>
>>320385997
t. faggot pretending to be OP

Having different opinions is fine. But thats not what people at gamefacts have. They hold several games as better than OoT as a fact, and come here to try to prove that "Fact" often.

That's why they're faggots.

Quit trying to be so self-righteous, you're on fucking 4chan, faggot.
>>
>>320386164
Linearity hurts most when what you're doing is repetitive, boring and predictable.

If someones pointing it out as a flaw you can guess it's for any of those reasons.
>>
>>320385997
You can't try to prove an opinion, dumbass.
>>
>>320385941
I know you're not referring to the Water Temple because that's one of the best dungeons in the whole series. Being able to complete the dungeon in seemingly multiple ways, and ransack it for the Longshot early just takes it over the top. Its only flaw is that they added an extra key to the way out after you get the Longshot FOR NO REASON other than to prevent you from just using Farore's Wind back to the main lobby or another dungeon.
And I know you're not referring to any of the other godsends in the game. The only dungeon you COULD be referring to is Dodongo's Cavern for being a giant linear tunnel from beginning to end, but that is a 10 minute dungeon in a 5 hour game.
>>
>>320386164
In a series about exploration it's damning. Once you take that away, what does Zelda have left? The braindead combat? The formulaic dungeons? The goofy NPCs? What a joke.
>>
>>320374116
Some you can. Some you can't. First three have to be done in order. You can do forest or fire temple in any order, but you need the bow before the water temple. Last two can also be done in any order. Then there are the mini-dungeons like bottom of the well and ice cavern that can be done whenever the player has the means. There are also a ton of other things that aren't dungeons that can be done whenever you please, or not at all, which is nice.

It's not "nonlinear" in the sense of being able to do anything whenever, but it does give the player quite a bit of freedom.
>>
>>320386460
Yes, you can. Your post was a non-sequitor. That's an opinion to you because you believe it wasn't. However everyone else knows factually, it was.
>>
Okami is a better Zelda game than OoT.
>>
>>320386409
>>320386582
You see thats the thing in OoT, you're not doing repetitive, boring shit.

If you played the game you'd know that. You're all transparent. Trying to say OoT is braindead and adventureless is just proof that you haven't played it, or have some sort of cognitive impairment.

Either way OoT is still the GOAT, staymad.
>>
>>320386727
Okami was ripped off the hook of the 2004 trailer of TP where the wolf howls. Hurts doesn't it?

But it won't hurt as much as you playing TP and finding out it's a better game, and that's not ONE-TENTH the game OoT is.
>>
>>320386727
>Okami is a better Zelda game than OoT.
I keep hearing this. One day, I hope to play this game and realize you are all exactly as wrong as I think you are.
>>
>>320386707
the second you try to prove an opinion its not longer an opinionated statements, you're trying to argue that it is truth.

You can't say "[Insert game] is better than [Insert game] and Heres why." Then expect that to be taken as just an opinion instead of an argument.
>>
>>320386582
How does a game being linear take away from exploration?

It doesn't.
>>
>>320386830
I've played OOT.

It's a strong mix of great music, bland gameplay and cute visuals that make me want to fall in a deep sleep. saying it's an adventure game is a strong word, I'd call it an adventure-lite experience. perfect for young kids

If I can't get to sleep I'll play it but if I want an actual game I have plenty to choose from.
>>
Shit game aged like wine, both graphically and mechanically. It doesn't even have a good story or characters to maintain itself and it's linear as fuck.

LttP was the last good Zelda game.
>>
>>320387106
Its just shitters from gamefaqs with "Opinionated statements" that they run back to when their arguments get BTFO.

They've been here since the poll yesterday.
>>
>>320387251

like milk*
>>
>>320386582
Zelda has never been about exploring, except maybe the very first one. It's about dungeons and puzzles, followed by bosses and music after a powergap.
If you can mesh all four together thematically and gameplay-wise while making it look pretty, you've got a good Zelda game.
>>
>>320386867
You serious? I liked TP, but its' art syle, music, and story are all blown out of the water by Okami. I'll admit that the battles in Okami are easy and you can easily go through the game never needing to use the astral pouch, but everything else about the game more than makes up for it.
>>
>>320387059

Different anon here, but it was the only game I've played since OoT (apart from Metroid Prime) that made me feel such amazement while experiencing vidya. I felt like a child again, exploring something beautiful and amazing.

Do yourself a favour and play it sooner rather than later.
>>
>>320373585
Undertale
>>
>>320373585
the game has major flaws f.am. go replay it.

>long as cutscenes about shitty lore that adds nothing
>hyrule field full of nothing, have to side step as young link before you fall asleep
>nothing in the world changes as you go about completing each half
>zelda and ganon are boring characters
>>
>>320377464
that's pretty cool
>>
>>320387210
See now that's an opinion. And its a decent one. But it makes me think you didn't get the magnitude of OoT's greatness. Now let me tell you mine.
>Great music
Amazing, often hailed as an artful orchestral masterpiece from Kando even outside of games.
>Cute visuals
Stunning visuals of the time set in an astounding variety of atmospheres from somber and lifeless to vivid and bustling realms of pure imagination.
>Saying its an adventure game is a strong word
I know damn well how strong that word is, because Oot has earned it as an adjective and is one of the paramount games of that word as a genre. You are on an adventure from start to finish and you can go literally anywhere you want whenever you want outside of the story driven plotpoint areas. However once you've visited a place you can go back to it whenever.

And that sense of adventure and memorable atmospheres and characters is what pushes you through the bulk of the game, and can actually instill you with real determination to save an entire land from unrelenting darkness.

It is a true masterpiece of gaming, and there are several damn good reasons for it.

But dont take it from me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duPynkGEFGI&list=PLMBTl5yXyrGQ68Ny1mXCAaSwbjpcVwm49&index=18
>>
>>320387106
You're not discovering someplace new when somebody already put down a railroad track. You can't explore riding a theme park attraction.
>>
>>320387926
Very poor anaology.

Just play it, dude. You can emulate it for free on damn near any rig or even laptop.
>>
>>320388054
I beat it when it came out. If the N64 was your first console I can see why you'd love it.
>>
OoT was the maturation of 3D video games for sure, but I think SMB1, Zelda 1, and Super Metroid were just as important to the medium as a whole.

The real question is where would games be without Nintendo? My guess is left to rot in a landfill.
>>
>>320386546
Multiple solutions doesn't make it good. You can rip all the stickers off a rubix cube and reattach them, but it's still a menial task.
>>
>>320374116
Nigger you have literally never played OoT

I mean this is a game that's famous for everyone doing the last two medallions in the "wrong" order
>>
>>320382331
I started doing a run last week and I went Fire > Forest > Water > Spirit > Shadow

stopped shadow to get hover booties cos they're cool
>>
>>320387379
>Do yourself a favour and play it sooner rather than later.
I'll put it on the list. I've looked back and realized there are so many video games I missed while growing up, simply because I couldn't own all of them. Seeing as how all modern games do lately is disappoint, I'm swearing off them for a bit and playing catch-up.

Even if an older game disappoints me, at least it will be a cheap disappointment.
>>
>>320388756
I hope you enjoy it anon, it's one of my most favorite games ever.
>>
>>320373585
I also think OoT should be considered as the best game ever, even though personally Banjo-Kazooie is my GOAT. Some other contenders if OoT wouldnt exist:
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
A link to the Past
Metal gear solid 3
Super mario bros 3
Doom
>>
>>320373585
OOT's up there, but I wouldn't say it's the best. ALttP is the best for me. Everything about the game is perfect. It's probably the only game I've ever played where I couldn't think of even one small tweak I'd add to make it better.
>>
>>320387632
>>nothing in the world changes as you go about completing each half
>monsters leave kokiri forest
>gorons return to goron city
>stops the fires in kakariko
>gerudo stop giving you shit
>keep niggas frozen cos fuck them
>>
>>320389006
Link's Awakening, the Oracles, and A Link Between Worlds all put ALttP to shame.
>>
File: TheMasterGraph.png (251 KB, 952x759) Image search: [Google]
TheMasterGraph.png
251 KB, 952x759
>>
>>320389006
What did you think of Link Between Worlds?
It's my new personal favorite. Really came out of left field, I had given up on Zelda and Nintendo in general until someone gifted me a copy for Christmas last year. I never thought they'd make a 2D version again without shoehorning in their stupid Nintendo gimmick.
>>
>>320389283
>the game is designed to be beaten without the lens of truth
>implying you're just supposed to guess the path in the desert over and over
>>
>>320387926
Someone made the fucking game. You're not discovering anything new regardless of linearity.
>>
>>320388396
Water Temple is only menial if you don't know what you're doing. You don't really need to equip/unequip the Iron Boots as much as everyone says. The whole temple is a blast to play through. It's easily my favorite in the game.

Like most everybody else, you saw water and you choked if you think it's a bad dungeon.
>>
>>320389848
This is why I say that appreciating dungeon design and aesthetics is the point of Zelda.
It really seems like after a while you can get a feel for the ones they really enjoyed making and the ones they just slapped together.
>>
>>320382154
Zero Mission is a little too easy, and maybe a little shirt for its own good (product of being a remake of an early NES game).

It's probably got the best design of the series but Fusion has way better action (at the cost of making the game less open) and Super has the strengths of both to a lesser degree, but without the weaknesses. All amazing games in their own right.

OP, If you're happy to try something more modern, then Shadow Complex may be your kind of game - it's a little bland visually but it borrows (steals, sometimes) heavily from other metroidvania games. It ultimately still manages to feel like its own thing though. It's free on PC at the moment although it is behind a login wall.
>>
Plenty of games wouldnt exist at if it wasnt for Ocarina. The combat system, while dated by today's standards, was highly innovative and used just about everywhere these days.

There may be a list of games that have exceeded ocarina in terms of quality, but there is a far larger list of games that simply wouldnt exist if Ocarina never happened.
>>
>>320389923
>the controls aren't bad you're just not used to them!

Iron boots becoming a "C" item was the best thing that ever happened to zelda
>>
>>320389609
I really wanted to love LBW. I found it to be decent, but not great. It's significantly easier than ALttP, which took some of the fun out of it (and no, it's not bc I'm older now). I also didn't like how much of a pain it was to navigate the dark world, with constantly having to switch to the light world to get around blocked paths. Not getting items from dungeons was also pretty lame. There's no sense of accomplishment when you just go buy the item.

I'm going to try a 3 heart run of LBW soon. I used to hate TP, but a 3 heart run made me love it,v maybe it'll do the same for LBW.
>>
>>320389923
You're just coming across as yet another contrarian. Instead of defending the design you're blaming me for not getting it and enjoying it, and reveling in the fact that YOU like it, like it's some major accomplishment. You're not special just because you pretend to enjoy something everyone else agrees is terrible. It's easily the worst part of your favorite game, and just because that's enough to ruin it for some people you feel like you have to defend it.
>>
>>320380918
Why no jet force Gemini?
>>
>>320389609
Not that guy, but ALBW is only good because of beta OoT
>Painting idea came from either Zelda64 which was to feature Link jumping through portals in Hyrule Castle (contrary to popular belief, Miyamoto confirms it was Hyrule Castle not Ganon's) to get to landlocked areas, or the fight with Phantom Ganon which salvaged this.
>Gulley, is the same as Fado right down to the vest.
>Villains transforms into monster mid-way through the game like Ganondorf was supposed to.
>Goron bro gives you Titan Mitts and knows he's a Sage, like Darunia (at least I think Darunia knew. They really need to elaborate on how Gorons know so much for a peaceful mountain tribe like they call themselves).
>Spectacles that let you see the unknown like the Lens of Truth used to be.
>You get a staff after you beat the placeholder for the Light Temple like you would in OoT (they're not even subtle about it. If you upgrade the sandrod it looks like a sun). Staffs were an object in OoT once. There's also the Tornado Rod, a windmill shaped leaf. The Forest Temple used to be Wind Temple, and its symbol is a windmill spiral before this was changed in OoT3D.
>You can walk in the Chamber of Sages like debugging OoT reveals you could.

These are arguably the best parts of the game. Which only shows how good a game OoT is, that even its unreleased content is still winning GOTY's 16 years after its release.
>>
>>320391181
>They really need to elaborate on how Gorons know so much for a peaceful mountain tribe like they call themselves

In TP they have wise elders, I think they are just a long lived race
>>
>>320390868
I'm not a contrarian. You sound like you are, since you can't even back-up what you're saying and are just recycling it to criticize a game you're clearly unfamiliar with.
>>
>>320391181
Wow you're really reaching to assign any sort of positivity to your pet game.
>>
>>320390868
The only part of the water temple's design that people didn't "get" was fixed in the 3DS port to show the opening under the elevator. It's actually a really straight forward temple. Now the forest temple, there's a poorly designed and confusing dungeon.
>>
>>320389245
This. Not sure about A Link Between Worlds, but the others, definitely. ALttP is good, but it's essentially just a refinement of the original Zelda formula, whereas LA and the Oracles were evolutions of it.
>>
It's good but not that great.
>>
it's too hard to me to choice only one, I think that I'd say OoT but I prefer to do a list...

>Zelda OoT
>Zelda Majoras Mask
>Chrono Trigger
>Final Fantasy 7
>Final Fantasy 8
>Resident Evil 4
>Castlevania SotN
>>
>>320392239
It's actually fairly prominent in the n64 version, I did it just 2 days ago

The real problem with the water temple is if you miss anything you have to use iron boots to travel to the 1st water raising room and cycle through the whole dungeon again

If you ever lose your bearing checking any room requires the use of the iron boots and too much menu using
>>
>>320373585

>zelda games
>excellent storytelling

So... you're retarded eh?

Anyhow, Dark Souls is most of those things. All of them if you're using OOT as a bar for excellent storytelling.

Neither of them are "the best game ever" though.
>>
>>320392879
I had a lot of fun with dark souls but the music never really clicked with me
>>
>>320373585
OoT's lore is not told exclusively through gameplay. Chrono Trigger has everything else.
>>
>>320391161
Not that guy, but I just replayed Jet Force Gemini a few weeks ago and damn I don't remember it being this bad. It feels so clunky and being forced to get all the tribals is absolute bullshit
>>
>>320373585
It would almost have to be something made before OoT since it shaped 3rd person games after it.
>>
>>320387632
Link to the Past has the same problems
>>
File: zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
zjxrie5ljfnmbvznhdqh.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>320382438
>Sim
>RDR
>>
>>320375467
Nice headcannon you fucking faggot.
Doesnt change that Sheikah stones are nothing but NPCs that feed you lore bits.
>>
>>320382438
>System Shock 2
>Shooter
What?

Also
>not DooM

>sim
>red dead redemption
The only thing RDR simulated was boring me to death
>>
>>320373585
I maintain Ocarina of Time to have just lost to Undertale as the best game ever.
>>
>>320373585
It's not even the best Zelda game, how can it be the best game of all time?
>>
>>320382670
Was it? It felt like a pretty by the books sequel to the SNES game.

Not a bad thing, but also not REVOLUTIONARY.
>>
>>320373585
Not even top 10 senpai, might not be top 25.

Still a very good game and probably the first one you played which endears it to you to a large degree.
>>
>>320393635

Not as much as you think
>>
>>320385927
All them best girls in the game and you turn gay
>>
>>320388893
>>320388756
It depends on what you like zelda for.

If you like them for the dungeons, Okami will feel a bit cheap, but for the environment/characters/story, sure it is better than your average Zelda, but people tend to forget you don't play them for the story.

The dungeons were a real letdown for me, so I don't like this recurrent claim that it is a better 3D zelda.
>>
File: 48837598_p0.png (317 KB, 700x800) Image search: [Google]
48837598_p0.png
317 KB, 700x800
>>320399026
When I played as the cutest kid in the whole game, the girls only accentuated him.
>>
>>320384449
>this Zero Mission you speak of...
How the fuck have you not heard of Zero Mission
Is this your first day here
>>
link's awakening
>>
>>320373776
test
>>
>>320385927
>Young Link made me gay, and then a gay pedophile
how does young link make you gay? Its not like is sexual in any way. You were gay before you found out about young link.
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.