[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some games that have you start out as an ordinary individual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 27
File: Vehk Winsmore.png (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Vehk Winsmore.png
1 MB, 1000x1000
What are some games that have you start out as an ordinary individual and effectively let you become a god by the end of them?
RPGs are preferred, but if there are other good examples I'd be glad to hear them. I should clarify that you should get to play with this power and not just have some cutscene that talks about how you are a god now. Also, vanilla games preferred unless there's some top tier mod that accomplishes this effect.
>>
As written your criteria would exclude games like the Elder Scrolls series because the player is never just a "regular ass dude" but rather someone sponsored by fate. Do you want games in which the player character is just a regular ass dude who only becomes godlike through his own will (and you get to experience it in gameplay) or do you mean games where you start out as a person with regular ass abilities who works his way to godlike being (and you get to experience it in gameplay)?
>>
Morrowind.
>>
daku souru

you only become the "chosen" undead if you succeed. every other undead was very much like you but gave up.
>>
>>320313060
God of War series.

How has no one mentioned this?

You literally start as a regular soldier of Sparta and slowly become the God of War.
>>
Well it all depends how good you are at playing it but dishinored, you start as an ordinary human, then near the end you are doing some pretty crazy shit.

https://youtu.be/xhHOofyslSE
>>
I don't want to spoil much but

[Spoiler] shadow of colossus [/spoiler]
>>
One day I will own this thread.
>>
>>320313565
But you are potentially a regular ass dude in Morrowind. It's never really clear if the prophesy is true or if it is just a right place, right time scenario. When you are facing down the final boss you even have the option of saying that you aren't the Nerevarine, but you are going to kick his ass anyway.

I suppose I am looking for something where getting godlike power isn't really the focus of the story, but it is something you can do by the later part of the game if you work towards that.
>>
>>320314069
>>320313807
>you should get to play with this power and not just have some cutscene that talks about how you are a god now
>>
A literal god?
I guess the Volunteer in XCOM Enemy Unknown.
Starts off as a rookie like the rest, earns promotions by surviving numerous secret raids against the alien menace, and eventually becomes the most psionically gifted human on Earth, capable of saving the world from a black hole.
>>
>>320314469
oh. then ratchet and clank. you are just some dude then you slowly become stupid rich and buy all sorts of cool stuff.
>>
Prototype.
>>
>>320313565
>your criteria would exclude games like the Elder Scrolls series because the player is never just a "regular ass dude" but rather someone sponsored by fate
Since when those two are mutually exclusive? You can be sponsored by fate and be a totally a regular ass dude.
>>
>>320313818
No, you don't. Kratos already got Ares' blades at the start of the first game. Not to mention that he's the son of Zeus.
>>
>>320314987
by virtue of being my own consciousness, I am sponsored by fate and you are just some... NPC.

you too are sponsored by your own fate, and likewise I am nothing.
>>
>>320314987
Unless you want to argue that every person in a particular fictional setting is "sponsored by destiny", and some of them just happen to be sponsored by destiny to grow up and be a shitty alcoholic that amounts to nothing or die of illness before they ever grow up in the first place, someone tied to a thread of fate and thereby destined to achieve great things is most certainly not a regular ass dude. TES player characters are not regular people.
>>
>>320313060
GTA online in a way
>>
>>320315658
By your logic no one is ever a regular ass dude in any given game or setting because they are all pre-destined to achieve something.
Pack your things OP, there's no game out there that suits your criteria.
>>
New Vegas, but that's kind of obvious and also currently flavor of the month despite being 5 years old.
>>
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy
>>
any game where the player character controls someone that can actually get shit done might as well be 'guided by destiny'
>>
>>320313060
Oblivion counts due to the Shining Isles expansion.
>>
>>320315930
You've erroneously drawn a conclusion from your interpretation of my logic because you misunderstand the difference between diegetic and non-diegetic character destiny.

Are you actually too stupid to distinguish between a facet of constructed storytelling and a magical in-universe explanation for a character's success?
>>
>>320315930
I feel like Morrowind does, that's why I used it as the OP picture.
You start out, at best, as a very average warrior/mage/rogue, and by the end of the game you are immortal, can potentially clear the continent in a single leap, posses enchantments that give you beyond superhuman strength, etc.
It's a feeling of progression that I rarely find in games and I was wondering if there are any games like this that I might have missed.
>>
>>320315956
No. In new vegas you were still the chosen one. Fallout 3 was much better than new vegas
>>
>>320316256
Except that in TES games the player characters are literally magically fated, in-universe, to fulfill vital roles. Again, are you legitimately too stupid to understand the difference between a story featuring a character who happens to be lucky/competent and a character who cannot fail because the magical fabric of the universe that character resides in dictates reality as such?

Goddamn, /v/ is retarded as fuck tonight.
>>
>>320316381
>main quest
>you're not the chosen one
>you're actually just some errand boy, Martin is the true chosen one
>your true destiny is to become SHEOGORATH
>>
>>320317063
You are /a/ chosen one, though. You simply weren't chosen to fulfill the role that Martin fulfilled.
>>
>>320316971
who said I was even talking to you nigga, go home
>>
>>320314469
You do get to play with being a god thing in shadow of colossus though
>>
>>320316584
>no rebuttal
Your logic is flawed.
>>
File: why did you forget me.jpg (272 KB, 1280x637) Image search: [Google]
why did you forget me.jpg
272 KB, 1280x637
How is being the Nerevarine not being the Chosen One?
>>
File: wW5xF65.jpg (123 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
wW5xF65.jpg
123 KB, 400x400
>>320317497
>He still thinks he was the Nerevarine
>>
>>320316971
>a character who cannot fail because the magical fabric of the universe that character resides in dictates reality as such?
You can fail your mission in TES games though. What are you even talking about.
>>
>>320317239
>make a post that is an obvious reply to another post, going to far as to borrow a phrase verbatim
>act like it wasn't made in reply after you get told
Sure kid. Even if your post wasn't made in reply to mine, mine was made in reply to yours, and it still directly addressed what you said and explained why it was wrong. If you can't back your post then don't make it in the first place.
>>
Does Bloodborne count?
>>
>>320317462
>>320317462
Go back to reddit with that bullshit.

>>320317630
>he posts tumblr tier fanart of videogames unironically
whatever you think doesn't matter faggot sorry.
>>
>>320313565
You were a pretty ordinary dude in daggerfall
>>
>>320316584
Those are both the same thing, are you drunk? Did you fail your humanities course. It's okay I'll give you a big tip you when you deliver my pizza.
>>
>>320317414
Oh, my mistake. I've never actually finished it myself but I thought that it ended with you dying while riding away from the collapsing temple
>>
>>320313565
TES uses mantling, which is a prophecy that works more like a set of instructions on who gets to become the hero than a naming of who is the hero.

If you dick around and don't follow the main quest, you are not the hero of lore. And I don't mean that you're avoiding the heroic things the game wants you to do, I mean that in that world you never were the hero.

But if you go around acting like you're somebody long enough, and convince enough people, you become that person.
>>
>>320316971
>Except that in TES games the player characters are literally magically fated, in-universe, to fulfill vital roles.
This happens in every game, not just TES games.
>>
>>320317698
you're just extra chosen in Bethesda's games, chosen so hard they gotta hang it over your head and say "look how chosen you are, chosen one"
>>
>>320314916
You're never a regular dude in prototype
>>
File: 1439158921889.png (408 KB, 500x534) Image search: [Google]
1439158921889.png
408 KB, 500x534
>>320317497
You're not the Nerevarine, you BECOME the Nerevarine. The Nerevarine prophecy is something Azura invented to fuck with Vivec and his two buddies.
>>
>>320317820
>still no rebuttal
>"back 2 reddit lmao"
Whatever buddy.
>>
>>320317497
It's pretty ambiguous if you are actually destined or if you're just the right shmuck at the right time to get manipulated by Azura to do her bidding.
>>
>>320317770
No since you become a baby Great One in a cutscene.

I don't even know how the gameplay would be if you actually got to play as a Great One, I feel like they don't do much physically since all they care about are having more kids.
>>
File: 1398565451682.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1398565451682.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
>>320317820
>>
>>320317462
No, your interpretation of my logic is flawed, and it's evident that you'd rather double down and act retarded than be made to understand it. I'm sorry you're too stupid to comprehend the difference between "things happen to characters in works of fiction" and "a character in a work of fiction is subject to in-universe mystical forces that determine the things that happen to him within the context of the work".
>>
>>320313565
>>320314331
>>320314987
>>320316721
Nerevarine is objectively not reincarnation of Nerevar at the start of the game, it's not
>well it's not clear
No, Azura has literally and I mean literally no access to Dreamsleeve, she isn't fucking Vaermina, the best she could do was fucking actually incarnate Nerevar as a Daedric creature similar to what Meridia did to Umaril
But she didn't
Instead she forged an elaborate plan to turn a certain person that fits certain criteria into a Nerevarine
By the end of the game you are objectively reincarnation of Nerevar because in Elder Scrolls mantling is real, if you are close enough to someone on conceptual level and walk the same walking ways you two are indistinguishable for the universe
So Nerevarine is her of his own making that made the prophecy fit him
THAT BEING SAID
Hero or Actor of The Elder Scrolls is an actual metaphysical thing that is referenced sometimes ingame and more often by MK out of game, and not in a
>there are certain guys that are heroes of Elder Scrolls games
more in an actual
>heroes of Elder Scrolls are distinct metaphysical entities that have something special about them
So the argument that all TES heroes are chosen by fate to some degree, regardless if the fate itself is own their own making or not is true, they are not ordinary people.
>>
File: CcKIal0.png (5 KB, 192x187) Image search: [Google]
CcKIal0.png
5 KB, 192x187
>>320313585
You are the Nerevarine. You're not an ordinary dude.

>>320317630
What are you talking about? The Player Character in TES is always some kind of avatar/carnation of Lorkhan anyway. That's why the PC is able to do the stupid shit he/she can do because of the above normal capability to attain CHIM, being bestowed to him/her as having a piece of Lorkhan.
>>
File: 1375980839238.jpg (47 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1375980839238.jpg
47 KB, 300x400
>>320313565

You aren't a special snowflake in Morrowang. You're just a bad enough N'Wah to fill out the checklist.

Seriously, its STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE HERE: the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jY66zHksLc
>>
>>320317231
Sheogorath never really intended for you specifically to become his successor though. You just happened to survive long enough in his realm.
>>
>>320317231
Everyone in a written or filmed work is a chosen one if you're going to be a vague prick
>>
>>320315930

He's right though. TES is all about being chosen by the good gods to be their hand in the mortal realm.

Anything with gods involved tends to lean this way.

A person becoming godlike through their own volition is what op wants, but I can't specifically remember a game like that, sorry OP
>>
>>320313060
Half Life
>>
>>320318094
zero ambiguity about it, if you know the metaphysics and capabilities of Daedric Princes on Mundus as well as how much dominion they have over souls and also add general attitudes of Daedric Princes to that formula it's pretty clear that Azura has no fucking way to reincarnate a soul that belongs to her in the first place
>>
>>320317829
I hope you're trolling because otherwise I sincerely pity you.
>>
>>320314069
ctrl+s
>>
File: 1378268584448.png (15 KB, 443x376) Image search: [Google]
1378268584448.png
15 KB, 443x376
>>320318348
Read the post above yours.
>>
>>320317830
Why wouldn't you finish shadow of the colossus wtf
>>
File: 1441150284686.jpg (85 KB, 399x400) Image search: [Google]
1441150284686.jpg
85 KB, 399x400
>>320318372
Straight outta Canton,
crazy motherfukcer named Ice Jiub
From the guild called N'wahs With Attitudes
When I'm called off, I got a steel staff
Swipe to the side, and bodies are hauled off
You too, N'wah, if you fuck with me
The Ordinators gonna have to come and get me
Off yo ass, and now I'm Silt Stridin' out
For the s'wit motherfetchers that showin out
N'wahs start to mumble, they wanna rumble
Mix em and cook em in a pot like scuttle
Goin off on a motherfetcher like that
With a cross bow that's pointed at yo ass
So give it up smooth
Ain't no tellin when I'm down for a jack move
Here's a murder rap to keep yo dancin
With a crime record like Meder Nulen
A Daedric weapon is the tool
Don't make me act the motherfetchin fool
Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe
I'm knockin n'wahs out tha box, daily
Yo weekly, monthly and yearly
Until them dumb motherfetchers see clearly
That I'm down with the capital A.S.V.
N'Wah you can't fuck with me
So when I'm in your neighborhood, you better duck
Coz Ice Jiub is crazy as fuck
As I leave, believe I'm stompin
But when I come back, N'wah,
I'm comin straight out Vivec.
>>
>>320315763
I started a new character once. Some level 100+ decided he didn't like me after I spawned in the open world. I popped him in the face with the starting pistol 3 times in a row.

What I'm saying is I'm not sure how you could possibly interpret a GTAO character as even remotely godlike.
>>
>>320318348
>That's why the PC is able to do the stupid shit he/she can do because of the above normal capability to attain CHIM

What? Dude, everything the PC does is always well within the script and comprised of things other people in the world can do.

There's no part of Morrowind where you break out of reality and do something other people have no access to.
>>
>>320318551
We posted about the same time. >>320318329 is correct and isn't saying anything different from what I'm saying,

The PC in any TES game is inherently not a normal dude. The PC is the only person not only capable of CHIM but of Amaranth, comprehending an Elder Scroll, and any and all general fuckery.

He is also completely correct about the two individuals becoming one. The exact same is true of Akatosh as it is with the PC and Nerevarine.
>>
File: 1447903390527.png (121 KB, 754x417) Image search: [Google]
1447903390527.png
121 KB, 754x417
>>320317996
>"rebuttal"
>>Your logic is flawed, good sir!
You are painfully unaware of how much of a fedora tipping imbecile you sound like and thats fucking sad.

>>320317845
>>320317961
>>320318094
Autists who take lore too literally.
>well ACKTCHUALLY you're NAWT the NEREVARINE YOU BECOME DA NEREVARINE xddd

My ass. I bet you autists take Dragon Breaks seriously. How can you not tell the difference retconning and asspulling from legitimate lore?

Regardless, Bethesda was a small developer who made shitty sports games until some neckbeard RPG developer told them they didnt have what it takes to make an RPG.

So %100 of TES lore was pulled out of Bethesdas ass just to make a shitty game to settle a bet or something. People who jerk off over the random asspully lore are fucking pathetic underage redditors who need to leave.
>>
>>320318348
Not him, player characters are chosen because they are heroes of Elder Scrolls...but your post man...it's filled with some much retardation.

Stating that all TES heroes are Shezzarines is a really bald argument and you better bring evidence to back that shit up because at best you have CoC and Dragonborn on yourside due to ghost of Old Hroldan seeing you and Hjalti as one person and due to CoC mantling Pelinal/Sheogorath which are Lorkhanic entities at their core, one a lot more than the other of course.
>higher capability to attain CHIM
no such thing exists, at all
everyone on mortal plane has the same fucking capability to attain CHIM and none of the fucking player characters ever fucking attain fucking CHIM you fucking mongoloid
stop bringing CHIM into everything, it is rarely seen or used in Aurbis
>being bestowed to him/her as having a piece of Lorkhan.
Shezzarines are as described by myth of Satakal and other myths from varieties of faith skin or shadows of Lorkhan that are cursed to roam Nirn, being a Shezzarine isn't the same as being some fucking champion of Azura or gay shit like that with some blessed powers, Shezzarines only AND major distinct features is the fact that they actually have a very unique Lorkhanic soul as demonstrated by use Mantella, said soul is probably the reason why they always long for change and why they always have the willpower to do said changes
>>
>>320319016
>still no rebuttal
I rest my case.
>>
>>320318987
>The PC is the only person not only capable of CHIM but of Amaranth, comprehending an Elder Scroll, and any and all general fuckery.
What in the fuck is wrong with you, no one has ever been even implied to come close to Amaranth including fucking Vivec until MK posted C0DA where Jubal-Sul and Vivec have to fucking FUCK to produce a being that is capable of Amaranth
There is zero implication that any being on mortal plane has advantage over other at getting fucking CHIM, that's the point of Mundus, every mortal gets a shot at it
>>
File: lava.jpg (158 KB, 870x580) Image search: [Google]
lava.jpg
158 KB, 870x580
>>320318948
Mods/console commands
>>
>>320318948
we can save and reload, use console commands and pause the entirety of the universe to drink potions or change equipment, does that count as using CHIM? Because other than this meta game stuff yeah, the player character never attains CHIM
>>
>>320319016
>How can you not tell the difference retconning and asspulling from legitimate lore?
mantling is major point of the Nerevarine story actually discussed and mentioned fucking 2000 times in Morrowind with every other NPC telling you
>MAYBE YOU MADE THE NEREVARINE PROPHECY TRUE
You are retarded

Why am I even replying to this b8 post?
>>
SMT does progression pretty well
>level 1
>some shmuck with a knife fighting thugs and fairies

>level 90
>decked out in the weapons of deities, railguns, a cadre of demons, possibly power spells depending on the game; can take on even the Judeo-Christian God himself
>>
>>320319016
Aren't you just as bad for knowing the same amount of lore and discussing it here?
You don't have to be edgy its not required to post on 4chan and you're calling yourself an autist in the process.
>>
>>320319252
>>320319263
Dude what

That's like saying that Mario is an incarnation of Yahweh or that Geralt is an analogue for Jesus because BOTH OF THOSE GAMES HAVE PAUSE FEATURES.

Come on, stop being retarded. Console commands are a debug feature they're not part of the game's lore you inbred fucktard.
>>
>>320319263
>same retarded argument repeated ever since Metaphysics of Morrowind
I wish that fucking piece of shit article was never written, especially how it misinterprets references to fucking previous Kalpa and Yokudan lore in Sermons with console command shit.
>>
>>320318456
Yeah, but from a gameplay perspective there really is nothing inherently special that sets you apart from the npcs. While you can look at the eventual power you get as being bestowed upon you by the gods, you still have to work for it in the context of the game.
I feel like people are approaching this subject a little more philisophically than I intended. I think as far as ES protagonists go the dragon born is the only one that does not fit the normal guy criteria I was trying to establish.
>>
>CTRL + F
>No Baldur's Gate Trilogy

C'mon /v/, you guys are better than this
>>
>>320319468
They are misguided, long ago there was a fuckface that wrote a shitty article called Metaphysics of Morrowind that made a retarded argument that CHIM was actually a reference to console commands
Too bad he didn't know jack shit about lore and was too early on to follow up on active discussions that pretty much settled what CHIM fucking is by now, a realization that lets you warp Aurbis as part and extension of your self
>>
Reaper of Souls

spoilers
>>
>>320319468
>Console commands are a debug feature they're not part of the game's lore you inbred fucktard.
Prove it.
>>
File: tumblr_mugtogClMT1s5z3gyo1_1280.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mugtogClMT1s5z3gyo1_1280.jpg
116 KB, 1280x720
>>320318329
>>320318348
>>320318372
>>320318456
>LOL THE GODS BRO LORKHAN BRO
If it's not explicitly stated it doesn't matter regardless of whether you want to quote shitty lore which isn't physical and is more or less floating IP which can be modified or retconned at any time.

In Morrowind it's incredibly clear and stated that you're the fucking nerevarine chosen one 1 or 2 missions into the game. In Oblivion you're just the hero of Kvatch cause you saved a shitty town and that's it.

>>320319151
>I REST MY CASE YOUR HONOR xD OBJECTION!!!
could you BE any more of a redditor.

>>320319358
Mantling is just made up bullshit by the developers, just like in Dark souls or dragons dogma or whatever "there are rifts in space and you can summon other people from other universes oooooh~~"

>but muh rift!
it's BULLSHIT dude, it's just a bullshit ass fucking RATIONALIZATION. it's FICTION and the developers can say WHAT EVER THE FUCK THEY WANT.
>>
>>320319468
uh okay but where does the player in morrowind ever show that they have or can attain CHIM of any kind if those tools don't count?

also calm down dude its just a video game
>>
>>320318456
The fact that you are chosen by the TES Gods to do something doesn't change the fact that you start as some random ass dude.
We had a similar conversation to this one in /tg/ about a RPG character that was 'a completely normal guy' but that happened to be immortal.
>>
>>320319709
I don't even get on board with all that deep-cut TES lore and shit, it's all way over my head and I can't really bring myself to care about it.

But I'm not retarded enough to think the ability to pause a game or load a save is somehow part of the lore.
>>
>>320319794
>still no rebuttal
Calm down
>>
File: 1450137676947.jpg (278 KB, 600x499) Image search: [Google]
1450137676947.jpg
278 KB, 600x499
>>320319468
>It's this because I said so.
>>
>>320319796
>uh okay but where does the player in morrowind ever show that they have or can attain CHIM of any kind if those tools don't count?

They...don't? I'm not seeing why that's necessary.
>>
>>320319471
>>320319709
>implying Vivec isn't asking the player to defeat him
>>
>>320319912
I don't need a rebuttal faggot. And demanding rebuttals from someone is something a smart-assed 12 year old asperger would do. Tell, have you eve actually used the word "rebuttal" or demanded a "rebuttal" from someone in real life? Do you know how fucking CRINGEY and ASPIE that sounds?
>>
>>320319016
how can one man be so booty bothered over so little?
>>
>>320319794
Don't reply, this is b8
>>
File: youfirst.png (87 KB, 560x990) Image search: [Google]
youfirst.png
87 KB, 560x990
Instead of 'god' how about complete fucking badass.

>Dead Space
>Isaac Clark
>Ordinary engineer
>Comes to the USG Ishimura on a repair mission with a small team
>Entire team gets BTFO except him
>Survives a ghost ship by himself whilst constantly getting shanked by necromorphs.
>Continues to save the day years later and once more after that.
>>
INFAMOUS
>>
>>320317497
I loved oblivion so damn much, favourite place of all the TES I have played since Daggerfall
>>
>>320319653
Shit, I immediately thought "D&D 3.5 wizard," but couldn't remember a game that didn't put so many restrictions on high-level spells.

Should've remembered Baldur's Gate. I still would like a game where I play a psion that creates his own pocket plane.
>>
The requiem overhaul mod for skyrim does exactly that. It delevels Skyrim so that every persom/creature is as powerful as it should be. Dragons? You better have some insanely enchanted gear and a battleplan or you're dead immediately. Mages? Dont get hit and you might live. Good luck not dying immediately to werewolves and vampires.

Basically, you start out unable to kill anything except rats, and mudcrabs and have to resort to doing small tasks for people to get a few levels. Once you get a few perks you can usually take on basic bandits. Your early game is spent being at NPC level strength; generic adventurer. You can craft things, steal things, and do other basic tasks that don't involve saving the world or fighting anything undead. Once you get fairly leveler, though, you'll start to see your future as a God among mortals. It plays very different from vanilla skyrim and is laced very well. Pair requiem with frostfall and I need or other food/drink/sleep mods and you really can spend hundreds of hours into one character before you'll be able to kill anything worth killing.
>>
>>320320062
He is
If you take Sermons 29 of 36 Sermons of Vivec and the appropriate word from each book is taken (I.E: the first word from book 1, the sixty-eighth from book 2, the three hundred and sixty-fourth from book 36, etc.) and assemble them, a secret message is revealed

>He was not born a god. His destiny did not lead him to this crime. He chose this path of his own free will. He stole the godhood and murdered the Hortator. Vivec wrote this.
>>
>>320320081
>I don't need a rebuttal faggot.
Said no one with a rebuttal or the capabilities to form one ever.

and by the way
>still no rebuttal
>>
>>320318475
I assume OP wanted to play a good game, ruling out your suggestion.
>>
>>320320302
Shitposting is against the rules.
>>
>>320319794
>Mantling is just made up bullshit by the developers
Are you one of those people who try to claim that the star wars prequels aren't cannon?

>In Morrowind it's incredibly clear and stated that you're the fucking nerevarine chosen one 1 or 2 missions into the game
Except Nibani Maesa straight up tells you that you are not the Nerevarine, but that you may become him.
>>
>>320320129
>Ordinary engineer
You are predestined by something or someone in the game so the guy is definitely NOT some ordinary guy.
>>
>>320320026
We were talking about CHIM and how the first post replied to said the player does all this stuff because he can or does attain CHIM so my reply suggested that if console commands, pausing and saving/loading don't count as CHIM the player doesn't achieve it... but you can't read so its cool don't worry about it
>>
>>320320442
What's the point in arguing facts anyway? Clearly this anon is stupid/hasn't played the game. Clearly one side is right, stop shitposting.
>>
>>320320330
I can only imagine some smug little aspire 14 year old laughing like a horse every time he says "rebuttal".
>yeah I'll tell him to give me a rebuttal OVER and OVER again that'll be so EPIC owned him hard *fapfapfap*

>>320320442
Nibani Maesa can suck my fucking DICK. How can you be so much of a fanboy that you'll take every little piece of non-canon/canonized contrived bullshit and %100 fact. The developers could say WHATEVER they want to justify their retarded fucked up lore that makes no sense unless you make up asspull excuses.

>>320320365
telling someone they're breaking the rules is breaking the rules and also shitposting.
>>
>>320320540
>so my reply suggested that if console commands, pausing and saving/loading don't count as CHIM the player doesn't achieve it.

But I already said the Player doesn't CHIM. He never did. Nothing you do within the context of GAMEPLAY (Note: Console commands, pausing, and saving/loading is not gameplay) are things other people in the world can't do.

If there are spellmakers, anyone can make super powerful spells. If there are magic artifacts, anyone can obtain them. If it was possible to defeat Dagoth Ur, anyone could have done it. If there is alchemy in the world, anyone can create broken super-potions.
>>
>>320320817
>
>>
>>320320817
>still no rebuttal
>>
>>320319893
It actually is
>>
Terraria? I mean, you start out not even being able to properly navigate the overworld, and by the "end" of it you're likely to have killed Cthulhu's brother several times and have terraforming powers at your disposal
>>
>>320313060
New fuckin' Vegas.
>>
>>320321005
You've been playing too much MGS anon
>>
>>320320843
being able to make crazy spells is not a sign of having CHIM anyway, nothing that a game can represent is
best way I would do it as a dev would bring in this strange fish eye isometric camera that freely moves around everywhere to represent how you are everything and everything is you
but yeah, player characters absolutely do not have CHIM
>>
>>320321005
It's not, all of this argument is based on an uninformed fucking Metaphysics of Morrowind article made a decade ago by a guy that had less lore knoewledge than a /tesg/ waifufag
>>
>>320320817
>telling someone they're breaking the rules is breaking the rules and also shitposting.
Nope. Please stop.
>>
>>320321005
Prove it.
>>
pretty much every main series Pokemon game
Final Fantasy 5, 7, 8
EverQuest
>>
>>320321097
You are predestined to be a badass courier that roams the land doing stuff so that game doesn't count.
>>
>>320321351
Just stop feeding it. He's obviously shitposting when he tries to argue that evidence provided in a game can't be used as evidence of the way the world in said game works.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-16+at+02.50.20).png (12 KB, 654x168) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-16+at+02.50.20).png
12 KB, 654x168
>>320319774
CHECKMATE ATHEISTS
>>
>>320318816
WHERES THE FUCKING RHYMES, WHERES THE SPIT GAME?!
>>
>>320313060
Star Wars Jedi Knight

You start out as a gunslinging mercenary, you end up as a man who can run 2000 miles per hour, leap 5 stories high, turn invisible, become impervious to physical damage, launch fireballs and lightning out of your hands
>>
>>320321703
ayy lmao
>>
File: 1305523587250.png (15 KB, 528x434) Image search: [Google]
1305523587250.png
15 KB, 528x434
>>320321703
>still no rebuttal
>>
>>320321703
You were having legitimate discussion before fellow anonymous poster, if you can't ignore the bant then I suppose they do have a downvoting function on Reddit
>>
>>320321817
Predestined to becomes all of that and do all of that so that game doesn't count.
>>
>>320321947
The fuck does that mean?

You aren't predestined for shit, you choose the powers you want to build up. You could use no powers at all if you so desired
>>
Saint's Row if you consider the entire series falls into this description pretty well.
>>
>>320317231

No, your job is basically to go find the chosen one because you happened to be some random asshole in prison who happened to see the emperor get killed.

Because the mythic dawn had no idea who you were, it made you a better bet.

Your job was just to be Martin's thug to go around roughing daedra up while he goes saves the day
>>
OP here, when the hell did I say anything about predestiny?
>>
>>320322047
You are still predestined to do do what you do in the game no matter what path you choose so it doesn't count.
>>
>>320322227
That's bullshit, you can say that about literally any game at all then if that's your shitty criteria

Sorry your autism prevents you from enjoying anything ever
>>
>>320322047
Similar to a loving parent having the option to butcher his/her kids. Just because you have to capability does not mean it can happen. Free will is a joke, people are just like npc's, doing what they think is best. You cannot mistake intent, therefore freedom does not exist, it is only further compounded by the irony of "radiant" ai. Todd knows he's lying to himself, those sweet, sweet lies.
>>
Dragon Age 1/2.
In the first one, you're either a young human or dwarven noble, a faceless Mage scholar, a hippie forest elf, or an elf/dwarf from literally the ghetto.

In Dragon Age 2 you are a nobody refugee from Ferelden.
>>
>>320322090
Nah, someone or something chooses you to be the main character on the game so you are chosen by fate and therefor it doesn't suit OP's description because you are not a normal guy anymore.
>>
>>320321620
Shut the fuck up. You're literally a delivery boy who took lead to the face and survived because they got luck. You're not predestined for anything.
>>
>>320313060
Shadow of Mordor
Any Batman game
>>
>>320313060
One day I will comprehend this towe-
>>
>>320322325
you can say that about life too, shit doesn't happen for no reason
>>
>>320322409
That's one thing I hate about NV, you just happen to be lucky you survived two in the head, breaking any low-luck immersion gameplay.

>he still calling NV an rpg
>>
>>320322384
In Dragon's Age you are predestined to become a grey warden and beat the fuck out of the enemies so it doesn't count because you are not just some random guy.
>>
>>320322394
Sorry, I assumed people wouldn't be so pedantic as to derail the thread in an argument about player control making your character special.
>>
>>320322342
I think we're working at cross purposes here, Max.
>>
>>320322409
You are predestined to survive lead to the face so you are not just some 'random delivery boy'
>>
>>320321703
Holy shit, how can you be so upset that someone knew more about stupid story telling mechanics and their implementation than you.
>>
>>320322394
Nigga, you should consider stopping smoking pot, your head seems all fucked up.
>>
>>320322585
Your life doesn't count because apparently you were predestined to be a pedantic asshole.
>>
>>320322585
You're not predestined to become a grey warden, you just get recruited by Duncan through whatever circumstances of your origin. Even so, grey wardens are a joke at the beginning of the game. Nobody respects them and after Ostagar they are declared criminals and traitors. Being a grey warden actually makes your mission more difficult.
>>
>>320322741
>>320322798
>>320322867
It's literally in my post here >>320313565
if you can't understand a explanation as simple as that then you are fucking morons
>>
>>320322394
"It's not my fault nobody thinks I have any fun and thinks I'm an asshole, I was just destined to be that way"
>>
>>320322525
Not really, just because you survived two to the head doesn't mean you get away from it totally unscathed. Maybe you suffered some kind of brain trauma that damages your cognitive or motor functions or maybe your face is just totally disfigured. Doesn't take a genius to remedy that.

Or just turn off the game, pretend you died and make up what happened without the courier in your head.
>>
>>320322913
His criteria doesn't say jack shit about fate though. All he wants is for you to be able to get godlike powers within gameplay by the end of the game.
>>
>>320322969
>play fallout 4
>play as someone who couldn't make it to the vault because low agility
>turn off the pc
I guess all roleplays were not made equally
>>
>>320323071
OP literally asks for a game where you are a ordinary individual that becomes a god by the end of the game.
None of the games listed in the thread portray a ordinary guy as the main character.
>>
Age of Empires: Age of Mythology
>>
>>320322695
No, you're not and there's nothing to suggest otherwise, you pedantic fuck. Quit baiting.
>>
>>320323284
>No, you're not
Literally every time you start a new game you survive. Therefor you are predestined to survive getting shot in the face. Therefor you are wrong.
>>
File: 1420561909466.png (12 KB, 369x300) Image search: [Google]
1420561909466.png
12 KB, 369x300
>>320323223
Ordinary meaning not having the aforementioned godlike powers at the beginning, still doesn't say anything about fate. And most of the games in the thread DO fit that criteria.

You're the only one in this entire thread who disagrees. Even the OP says you're full of shit.
>>
>all this lore
I fucking love it
too bad Bethesda will never take advantage of it
>>
>>320323409
If you are chosen by something or someone to become a greater being then you are not ordinary.
That's like saying "The Chosen One" in videogames are just random guys.
>>
File: ChimChim.jpg (118 KB, 432x561) Image search: [Google]
ChimChim.jpg
118 KB, 432x561
>>320313565
Actually, the nectarine isn't chosen by fate. Nectarine is a title given to the man who fulfills the criteria of being the guy who does the thing
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 600x600
>>320321703
>he thinks calling someone reddit is a rebuttal
>mfw its not
>>
>>320323223
I also didn't say anything about player control being something that makes the PC special, but that didn't seem to stop anyone from acting like that was a disqualifier.
All this talk about predestiny doesn't change the fact that in a game like morrowind, your character is effectively indistinguishable from NPCs in ability at the beginning of the game.
I elaborated on the point I was originally trying to make here >>320316721 but it seems like said post was passed over.
>>
>>320323607
That has absolutely nothing to do with what you replied to.

You can be chosen or destined to be something and still not have any fancy powers yet.
>>
>>320323978
And furthermore, OP himself says he doesn't give a damn about fate or predestination and is only concerned with present ability in the game.

So yes, Jedi Knight qualifies. At the beginning all you do is trade blaster fire with NPCs who also trade blaster fire.
>>
File: CHIM.png (161 KB, 1200x700) Image search: [Google]
CHIM.png
161 KB, 1200x700
>there are people on this thread arguing about lore they don't know right now

How can we summon trainwiz to set these n'wahs straight.
>>
>>320322227
How is free well related in any way to the topic OP wanted to discuss?

Is there something bothering you, anon?
>>
>>320323978
>You can be chosen or destined to be something and still not have any fancy powers yet.
And you can be a completely normal farmer milking sheep in his backyard and not be a ordinary human being (because you are the chosen one by the gods of TES).
>>
>>320324158
So fucking what? OP literally doesn't care about that. Let it go. Your autism is beyond r9k tier.
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>mfw this retard
>>320313565
>>320315658
is being blown the fuck out the entire duration the thread
>>
>>320324281
But he cares about the character he is controlling being a ordinary person at the beginning. And no main character is ordinary since every main character is predestined to be the main character therefor he/she is no longer ordinary.
>>
>>320324453
No, he cares about your abilities in gameplay being ordinary. He has said as much several times in this very thread.
>>
>>320324503
>ordinary individual
Nothing about powers, he's talking about the individual. And the individual is not ordinary.
>>
>>320324453
Holy fuck.
>>320323841
>>320322168
>>
>>320324112
Talk about Dwemer and Tonal Architecture and Sotha Sil
Lots of Sotha Sil
He will be here
>>
>>320324657

>>320322669
>>
>>320324657
He did say powers. See >>320324694

He even says it in the very OP that it is about being able to play with power in gameplay. You're just baiting at this point. Such stupidity as you display should not facilitate you being able to live.
>>
Go ahead, keep sifting through the thread trying to find a loophole. But you won't, because you're wrong. Nobody gives a hoot about predestiny, only gameplay.
>>
>>320324823
>>320324875
None of those posts mention the word power though.
>>
File: deep_doomed.jpg (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
deep_doomed.jpg
70 KB, 640x480
>>320313060

From >>320313060
>I should clarify that you should get to play with this power and not just have some cutscene that talks about how you are a god now.
>play with this power
>power
>>
File: 1442495053214.jpg (45 KB, 680x464) Image search: [Google]
1442495053214.jpg
45 KB, 680x464
>>320325615
Whoops, meant to reply to >>320325475
>>
>>320318348
Actually its possible you aren't Nerevar
Plus, you can become a god without ever doing the Nerevarine stuff
>>
>>320325615

since when this post
>>320313060
is the same as
>>320322669
>>320324694
>>320323841
>>320322168

And the word 'power' in the post in OP has nothing to do with the actual discussion.
>>
>>320325942
That's because you derailed the discussion, idiot. Your discussion is completely irrelevant to what the OP wants.
>>
>>320325942
I hope for your sake as an individual that you aren't this pedantic in real life.
>>
>>320325942
Did you notice all those posts you listed are from the OP saying your discussion about predestiny is bullshit?
>>
>>320322525
You survived a shot to the head by a really weak gun
Seriously, the entire joke with Maria is that it's pretty but does trash damage
>>
>>320326493
Since OP wants a ordinary guy as a starting character and I'm discussing how a character in a game is not ordinary then I think my discussion is relevant.
>>320326610
Doesn't matter, because I'm not discussing predestiny, I'm discussing how a MC in a game is not ordinary.
>>
>>320326631
Low luck means that you are mostly unlucky, not that you can't be lucky once in a while anyways.
>>
>>320326795
No, OP wants a guy with similar abilities to regular NPCs at the start of the game, and godlike powers by the end. He clarified this in several posts.

You're fucking retarded. I'm done with you.
>>
Dwarf Fortress

You can start as a peasant. You are destined only for death. But you can slay living gods if you're strong (i.e., lucky enough to survive until you are strong).
>>
>>320326907
What
>>
>>320326937
>inb4 it doesn't count because the ability to potentially slay a god makes you unordinary
>>
>>320322525
If having low luck means something could never happen, wouldn't that mean luck doesn't exist?
>>
>>320313060
My man, that's actually one the main points of my dream game but while I haven't found it yet, some games I that kinda do that are

>>320319653
Even though this one is guilty of having just a cutscene talking about you becoming a god, if you play as a mage by the end of the game you have some pretty godlike powers

>>320319465
Also ends in cutscenes but in most SMT games you start as a nobody and by the end you are beating other gods into submission

And the only one I can think of that lets you play around with your god powers is Dragon's Dogma, but I imagine it's not what you are expecting because being a god in DD gets boring so quickly it will make you want to kill yourself
>>
>>320326925
He clearly stated "a ordinary individual" therefor you are wrong and he can't have what he's asking for because no MC of a game is ordinary.
>>
>>320327407
He also clearly stated in later posts that what he meant by ordinary individual was not possessing godlike powers that you later receive later in the game.
>>
>>320313060
Dragon age inquisition kinda. I know that you are special at the beginning, but you can get crazy god powers. Pretty cool shit
>>
>>320326952
What is there to not understand.
If you are lucky, you are generally lucky but you can be not lucky one in a while. It's exactly the opposite if you are unlucky.
Why people assume that being lucky means ALWAYS having strokes of luck and vice versa?
>>
>>320327502
Show me those posts.

Hard mode: Show me posts that actually say that, not posts that say something and you give whatever interpretation you want.
>>
>>320327705
You could almost say it is luck that decides when you are lucky and when you are not.
>>
File: farscape05.jpg (120 KB, 1380x1044) Image search: [Google]
farscape05.jpg
120 KB, 1380x1044
>>320327813
>not posts that say something and you give whatever interpretation you want.

Oh the irony
>>
>>320327823
It's not that hard to understand.
You roll a dice 100 times and 99 times you get 6 and 1 time you get 1. You are lucky. Now extrapolate that to being unlucky.
>>
>>320327913
The irony is that you posted again but I still can't see the post you mentioned that would finish the discussion.
>>
>>320326937
Also Nethack is pretty similar in that regard.

You can still die in Nethack regardless of how powerful you get if you are really careless, but it becomes fairly extreme near the end.
>>
>>320327813

>>320313060
>I should clarify that you should get to play with this power and not just have some cutscene that talks about how you are a god now.

>>320314331
>I suppose I am looking for something where getting godlike power isn't really the focus of the story, but it is something you can do by the later part of the game if you work towards that.

>>320319508
>Yeah, but from a gameplay perspective there really is nothing inherently special that sets you apart from the npcs. While you can look at the eventual power you get as being bestowed upon you by the gods, you still have to work for it in the context of the game. I feel like people are approaching this subject a little more philisophically than I intended.

>>320316721
>You start out, at best, as a very average warrior/mage/rogue, and by the end of the game you are immortal, can potentially clear the continent in a single leap, posses enchantments that give you beyond superhuman strength, etc.
It's a feeling of progression that I rarely find in games and I was wondering if there are any games like this that I might have missed.

No amount of your misinterpretation would make any of this NOT about gameplay intentions. If that's the stance the OP is defending, and you're the only one talking being a player character makes one unordinary, what do you think OP's intention is?
>>
>>320313060
Pretty much every single fucking RPG goes this route.
>>
>>320328269
The only thing that will finish the discussion is if you fuck off and die. Because you are too stupid to concede that you are not on the same page with anyone else in the thread.
>>
>>320322525
I'm pretty sure that given the conditions, it's actually not possible in gameplay to die from those two shots to the head.
>>
>>320322525
But you can survive two headshots ingame no problem, even if you have the minimum max HP. The cutscene is just accurate to the gameplay's reality is all.
>>
I hate this fucking thread.
>>
>>320328624
I'm sorry.
This isn't what I had intended at all.
>>
>>320314661

Your shitty sonyshill suggestions suck ass.
>>
>>320328775
>>320328624
Sure would be nice if you could filter a specific anon.
>>
>>320328917
Please don't, this thread as been shitted up enough as it is.
>>
>>320328775
It's okay, it could happen to anyone, there's always that chance the biggest turbofag on the board will find your thread.
>>
>>320328320
This has nothing to do with the discussion we have at hand because all he's asking is to actually be able to use said powers. And mentions nothing about ordinary characters.

>I suppose I am looking for something where getting godlike power isn't really the focus of the story, but it is something you can do by the later part of the game if you work towards that.
This one literally says that is looking for something that doesn't focus on getting powers but allows you to do it. Not even close to the 'ordinary argument'.

>Yeah, but from a gameplay perspective there really is nothing inherently special that sets you apart from the npcs. While you can look at the eventual power you get as being bestowed upon you by the gods, you still have to work for it in the context of the game. I feel like people are approaching this subject a little more philisophically than I intended.
This one is probably the only one worth quoting because is kind-of related but even then it only says that even if you are not ordinary you still have to gather/achieve those powers. Still, your character is not ordinary and in this post he still didn't say "I don't care about the character being not ordinary" or something on those lines.

>You start out, at best, as a very average warrior/mage/rogue, and by the end of the game you are immortal, can potentially clear the continent in a single leap, posses enchantments that give you beyond superhuman strength, etc.
Same as before. He's not even remotely saying that he doesn't want or care about a non-ordinary character.

Meanwhile in OP he LITERALLY said
>you start out as an ordinary individual
So as you said, no amount of misinterpretation is going to change what OP asked for in a very literal way in his first post.
>>
Dark soul

became Voldemort by the end of my sorcerer run
>>
Manlytears is no longer god of sl trolling so he needs to play a single player rpg to feel powerful

Have fun
>>
>>320329407
In Dark Souls you are predestined to beat the game so it doesn't count
>>
>>320329405
But he never said he did care about it either. The only thing continuing is your belief that by ordinary he meant anything other than gameplay reasons. The fact that all of his later posts were about gameplay means your interpretation is wrong.
>>
>>320329405
I swear I am not memeing here, but are you on the spectrum?
I have never before seen someone with any semblence of social awareness grasp at straws the way you are clinging to an overly literal interpretation of two words.
>>
>>320313060
The Geneforge series.
In 1 you're just some random dude whose about to become a shaper but you get attacked and stranded on an island. You summon creatures to do your bidding as you fight to survive and at the end you can choose to either destroy the geneforge, or use its power to become a god.

Great series of games, highly recommended if you can look past the dated graphics.
>>
>>320319653
>first game
>regular dude avenging his foster dad
>turns out your real dad is a literal god
>didn't really seem to matter, all it meant was a couple of free (regular) spells

>2nd game
>crazy mage dude awakens your latent god powers
>you get superpowered edgelord demon form
>start feeling like less of a regular shmo around now

>ToB
>turns out you're really nothing special after all, Bhaal was a horny guy and there's thousands upon thousands of bhaalspawn running around
>you're essentially just a (arguably better off) regular guy again, apart from being extremely powerful due to levels
>defeat a literal god(i think? it's been a while) and have the choice to either become the new god of murder or live your life as an absolutely godlike but regular mortal

GOAT progression
>>
>>320316123
This. Anyone have a good cyberlegs webm?
Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.